Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780694 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1005 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:53 PM »
Is that also where you were going with the trolls in that young Sigrun fic you were working on awhile back? Fascinating concept! I wonder if/how the presence of magic in the world affects such subtle technology?
Aha, not quite - my plan was for the trolls to be people infected with a nanotechnological illness of some kind (called the cRash virus, because of course it would be) that mutates them but also provides nanotech to shield them from the sun and cold, turning them into all-weather versions of the trolls we know and love from the comic. That said, the interplay of magic and high technology would be a fascinating one to see explored... (speaking of which, I really must finish that fic someday!)

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about writing a new fic set mostly in Y0 Hawaii (mainly due to its importance as an island state with a very large military and scientific presence, and I wanted to write about what would happen in that sort of an environment immediately after the outbreak). I want to set it up differently from Carriers, however, so I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Should I finnish Carriers before I start posting this one, or can you guys wait for the next installment? I'm more excited about the new fic for the moment, but I can finish up if you guys want to see the ending first.
2. Do Y0 fics still get posted on the scriptorium? Or is there some other place I should be putting them? Also, I'm sort of toying with the idea of posting them to a public google doc... is this a good idea, or is there some reason others haven't been doing this? (For no good reason, I'm sort of paranoid about getting new online accounts regardless of how safe or useful they are, and I already have a public google drive but not an AO3...)

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
  • My advice in these matters would be always write what you want to write. In my experience, I enjoy things much better that way. A personal example: I worked on a lot of other fanfics as I slowly completed the monster that is the Pacific Rim AU, adding bits in here and there when I was in the mood for Jaegers and giants. Perhaps something similar would work with Carriers?
  • Yr 0 fics go on the Scriptorium with the rest, as Yuuago said (you can find a couple on here already if you dig back). As for Google Docs - well personally, I'd be much happier if everyone here posted to AO3 so we had one central archive where all of the SSSS fanfic can easily be found, so people don't have to dig back through acres of posts if they want to read some of the old stuff. But the choice is of course entirely yours.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1006 on: October 07, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
(For no good reason, I'm sort of paranoid about getting new online accounts regardless of how safe or useful they are, and I already have a public google drive but not an AO3...)

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Yr 0 fics go on the Scriptorium with the rest, as Yuuago said (you can find a couple on here already if you dig back). As for Google Docs - well personally, I'd be much happier if everyone here posted to AO3 so we had one central archive where all of the SSSS fanfic can easily be found, so people don't have to dig back through acres of posts if they want to read some of the old stuff. But the choice is of course entirely yours.

I just wanted to point out that AO3 allows you to "orphan" a work you submitted, which essentially removes it from your account but still lets it remain in the archive. That way, it won't be linked back to any of your usernames.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1007 on: October 07, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
heeeeyyyy i kinda. wrote a. weird pointless drabble thing today. for the Näkki AU - more specifically Sectoboss' version, or at least the concept of that one. like, i don't even know. there's no plot to it, really, just. writing. things. yeah.

Spoiler: forest hobo husbands • show

It was autumn, with red and yellow leaves dancing in the wind, with frost crunching underfoot, and the näkki was sitting at a rock by his pond, and he was singing and he was beautiful.

He had been beautiful and singing and beautiful back then, too, that fateful night when they had met. But it had been different. Emil could recall the voice. The sleek voice, seeping into his head, muffling his thoughts like moss and murky water - and he couldn’t even think to mind it. He hadn’t minded the gleaming, glittering eyes of gold staring into his, or the pale, smooth skin, glowing oddly in the light of the water. He would have gadly died in the ams and charms of shimmery glamour. He almost had.

Almost.

Now, it was a quiet song, the clarity of a whispery voice. The näkki was covered in greens and grime, and his eyes were not gold. Something was very wrong with his eyes, but at least they were his. And maybe that was his beauty. He was real and he was honest and he was Lalli.

Emil said his name, sometimes. And Lalli would always flinch, but then he smiled, a very small and very bitter smile. And sometimes his eyes would glaze over, and Emil would repeat his name again, and again. Lalli. Lalli. Lalli Hotakainen.

The fight was never truly over.

There were good moments and there were bad moments, but there was trust, for Emil had never trusted anyone more than he trusted the infected mage. And Lalli trusted him too, to know his name and know his pond.

Lalli didn’t really need the coat, but Emil made it for him anyway. Well, not made it per se - it was a spare coat from Keuruu, and Emil fixed its backside to fit a näkki. It was thick and warm and far more protective than the ratty rotting tunic Lalli wore in the water. Emil had this shallow hope that maybe, it would make him feel a little more human. It was silly, he knew - but sometimes he held Lalli’s hands in his own until they were dry and warm.

They never stayed warm for long.

But what was okay, because it gave him an excuse to do it again.
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1008 on: October 07, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
heeeeyyyy i kinda. wrote a. weird pointless drabble thing today. for the Näkki AU - more specifically Sectoboss' version, or at least the concept of that one. like, i don't even know. there's no plot to it, really, just. writing. things. yeah.

It was autumn, with red and yellow leaves dancing in the wind, with frost crunching underfoot, and the näkki was sitting at a rock by his pond, and he was singing and he was beautiful.

He had been beautiful and singing and beautiful back then, too, that fateful night when they had met. But it had been different. Emil could recall the voice. The sleek voice, seeping into his head, muffling his thoughts like moss and murky water - and he couldn’t even think to mind it. He hadn’t minded the gleaming, glittering eyes of gold staring into his, or the pale, smooth skin, glowing oddly in the light of the water. He would have gadly died in the ams and charms of shimmery glamour. He almost had.

Almost.

Now, it was a quiet song, the clarity of a whispery voice. The näkki was covered in greens and grime, and his eyes were not gold. Something was very wrong with his eyes, but at least they were his. And maybe that was his beauty. He was real and he was honest and he was Lalli.

Emil said his name, sometimes. And Lalli would always flinch, but then he smiled, a very small and very bitter smile. And sometimes his eyes would glaze over, and Emil would repeat his name again, and again. Lalli. Lalli. Lalli Hotakainen.

There were good moments and there were bad moments, but there was trust, for Emil had never trusted anyone more than he trusted the infected mage. And Lalli trusted him too, to know his name and know his pond.

Lalli didn’t really need the coat, but Emil made it for him anyway. Well, not made it per se - it was a spare coat from Keuruu, and Emil fixed its backside to fit a näkki. It was thick and warm and far more protective than the ratty rotting tunic Lalli wore in the water. Emil had this shallow hope that maybe, it would make him feel a little more human. It was silly, he knew - but sometimes he held Lalli’s hands in his own until they were dry and warm.

The word you're looking for is : bittersweet.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1009 on: October 07, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
Bittersweet, yeah. What a beautiful sad little vignette. Good, Haiz.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #1010 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
Melusine put it very well. Nicely done, Haiz.

I'll just address question #2.

I've dumped prologue-era/Year 0 stuff here before and nobody objected - can't see why anyone would either, because Year 0 SSSS is still SSSS! (Which is good, because I plan to do more, hah!) Do post it if you write it please, your Year 0 fic sounds interesting.

As for googledocs - I think I've seen a few that did post their fic as googledocs. It isn't usually done, but I don't think anyone would object to it. Use whichever posting platform you feel comfortable with.
Thanks, Yuuago and Secto! I think maybe what I'll do is post each new chapter, and then include a link back tho the google doc that contains the old ones. And thanks Cap'n Solo, but I don't think I'll get an AO3 just yet.
I also think I've decided on a title: Stars, Stripes, and the Silent World (Stars and Stripes refers to the US flag, but individually they allude to the astronomers and the military). Sorry about discontinuing Carriers for now. The ending I had thought up originally doesn't really fit with the current version of the story, so I'll have to come up with a better one so I can keep writing.
Valete, μFerret

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #1011 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »

Almost.

Oh god, I think there's Wonderful Bittersweet TearsTM in my eye
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1012 on: October 08, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
I really like all the Näkki fics you guys have been posting!!! ^w^

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1013 on: October 08, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »

Almost.

Ohhhhh my gosh this is so wonderful and pretty and yessss ;w;)b That was really nice to read and now I ship this a little maybe
YEET

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #1014 on: October 08, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »
Thank you everyone <3 I'm glad you like my weird drabble that seems like it should be a bigger story and then just ends haha

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1015 on: October 09, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
Oh gods above I was supposed to get so much work done today but then I did this instead and I almost don’t regret that.

I’m starting a 1920s AU, set in Prohibition-era Chicago. Pulpy nonsense about booze smuggling, mob shootouts, nice suits – the works. It may confine itself to the two chapters I’ve got planned out, or it may snowball. We’ll have to see how much I can fit in around all the work I should have done.

Anyways, enough babbling: here’s Chapter 1.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4964401/chapters/11400241

And Haiz, I loved your little näkki-drabble!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1016 on: October 09, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »
Haiz and SectoBoss, you are both AMAZING.
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #1017 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
Oh gods above I was supposed to get so much work done today but then I did this instead and I almost don’t regret that.

I’m starting a 1920s AU, set in Prohibition-era Chicago. Pulpy nonsense about booze smuggling, mob shootouts, nice suits – the works. It may confine itself to the two chapters I’ve got planned out, or it may snowball. We’ll have to see how much I can fit in around all the work I should have done.

ROARING TWENTIES AU YES
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #1018 on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »
thank you, sectoboss and seilann!

i wanna tell you how awesome this is but i kind of need an angel choir in the background to express my feelings accurately

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1019 on: October 09, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
SectoBoss, I love it! Now I look forward to seeing Tuuri rocking jazz beads and a fascinator! And Lalli being sinister, Emil being clueless, and Mikkel being an undercover G-Man. Or whatever you do, it's sure to be fun.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!