Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787502 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #720 on: July 13, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
People on other threads were wondering about the people on board the ISS when the rash hit, and that coupled with watching my friend play Kerbal Space Program of all things led to this. I pretty much wrote this on the bus home, then spent the next three days dithering about whether or not to turn it into a bigger fanfic or not. Hopefully, it’s turned out ok.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4334900

As always, I hope you like it!

And sheesh, I really should have been saying this earlier, but there’s been a lot of good stuff being put up on here lately! (LooNEY, ParanormalAndroid, StellersJayC, I’m looking at you guys.) Now if we could only get a rate of posts like the art thread… *wistfulness intensifies*
*Loud sniffle*
SectoBoss, you're far too modest.  It's more than OK, it's incredibly moving (and as an American, I'm particularly touched).  Also a very thoughtful commentary on cultural trends in the Known World over the decades. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #721 on: July 13, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
People on other threads were wondering about the people on board the ISS when the rash hit, and that coupled with watching my friend play Kerbal Space Program of all things led to this. I pretty much wrote this on the bus home, then spent the next three days dithering about whether or not to turn it into a bigger fanfic or not. Hopefully, it’s turned out ok.

Wow. That's an absolutely amazing piece of work. Bravo! Never stop. :)
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #722 on: July 13, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »

your mind is such a wonderful place, you always pull out great threads from the worldbuild-weave and bring them to light, the ones I've never thought to look after, and I love it
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #723 on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »

And sheesh, I really should have been saying this earlier, but there’s been a lot of good stuff being put up on here lately! (LooNEY, ParanormalAndroid, StellersJayC, I’m looking at you guys.) Now if we could only get a rate of posts like the art thread… *wistfulness intensifies*

That went back and forth from really, heavy to very optimistic. You should write speeches for Obama.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #724 on: July 13, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
Wow, thanks guys!

(and as an American, I'm particularly touched)
Well, since I kind of made fun of America in the Pacific Rim crossover, I guess this is my official letter of apology :D

Wow. That's an absolutely amazing piece of work. Bravo! Never stop. :)
I can't seem to stop send help

your mind is such a wonderful place, you always pull out great threads from the worldbuild-weave and bring them to light, the ones I've never thought to look after, and I love it
Thank you! Although I must admit, a fair few of my story ideas are just one's I've gotten from other threads on the forum and run off with...

And Fimbulvarg, I'm flattered! Although I don't think that would be a job I'd do well at - I'd be too busy trying to see if I could get the president to pull a ron burgundy and say whatever I put up on the teleprompter.

Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I can't seem to stop send help
We won't sorry you'll have to write again and more.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2015, 05:49:41 AM »

I feel like I got chills so often that the hair on my skin is probably still standing right now. Just.. goosebumps everywhere, god, this was the best. Everything is portrayed in such a terrifying yet beautiful way that makes me feel like an ant in this vast world.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »
Perhaps the saddest part yet?

Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part X
Spoiler: show
Year 124, Spring

Lalli,

Both I and my family have come through this recent “pan-demic” without further loss, though that can scarcely comfort you. I keep thinking it over, seeing in my mind’s eye the gods looking down on our arrogant assuredness that, having survived the Rash, nothing less could strike us down, and watching their response, this outbreak of influenza.

I look at Tuuri’s last letter over and over, finding no hint in it that it would be the last ever. When the news came, I shut myself in my office and simply howled: for Tuuri, who braved the Silent World only to die in her own bed; for Onni, ever fearful of the Rash, but felled by yet an older enemy of Man; for Mikkel, who tended the sick and dying until he himself dropped; for Sigrun; and, yes, for Marta.

I look upon my own words above and despise their inadequacy. I would come to you, but they still haven’t lifted the travel bans here in Sweden.

I’m glad to hear most everyone under the age of 50 survived. It was that way here, as well, though the majority of our wisest and most venerable succumbed. Give all your surviving kin a big hug of condolence from me.

Esko has announced that he will be a doctor when he comes of age, as he desires to make the sick well.

They’re still letting letters through, so please keep writing. Enclosed is a translated letter from Reynir, who was in the habit of writing to Mikkel. Now that we three alone are left, he wants to chat more.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 125, Winter

Lalli,

I’m a grandfather, twice over. How odd.

Apparently, Aku has been seeing this girl Hanna for some time, and when the Flu hit last winter, they decided to throw caution to the wind and marry, unwilling to waste time they might not have. So, of course, she got pregnant--with twins, no less!--and came through that and the delivery like a trooper, and only then did they think to inform me of all this.

Of course, I’ve been rooted here at the Cleanser Training Camp, while Aku has been heavily involved with the recent actions up in the far north, near Luleå and the Ironworks, but still, he could have written, at the very least.

They have let me meet my grandchildren, though, and the two of them are so like Aku and Esko at that age that it’s uncanny. They have named the boy Mikkel Emil, and the girl Hanna Marta. Don’t worry; I’m sure your name will float around in the family pool of names for some time to come.

Did I mention Aku’s been promoted? They’ve made him a Captain already, after barely two cycles in the field! What madness is this?

Your last letter mentioned you’ve been having some stomach problems, so I’ve enclosed a copy of Tuuri’s hot mash recipe, in case you lost yours. It’s seriously the best stomach-soother that I’ve ever had. Take care of yourself.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author’s Notes

The first letter was hard to write. I hope it came out OK.

But, more importantly: Tuuri’s hot mash recipe was supposed to be for Emil’s baby to eat, not him. Apparently, Lalli never mentioned that. Oops.

*EDIT* In re Keeper's question below, Emil has a staff member who tells him the correct declensions from time to time, but Emil writes the letters himself.

Oh, yeah, I was going to mention Phillip II of Macedonia & Alexander the Great. *END EDIT*

I'd be too busy trying to see if I could get the president to pull a ron burgundy and say whatever I put up on the teleprompter.

I lika… do… da cha-cha.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:01:53 AM by LooNEY_DAC »

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #728 on: July 14, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
Perhaps the saddest part yet?

Correspondence
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part X
Year 124, Spring

Lalli,

Both I and my family have come through this recent “pan-demic” without further loss, though that can scarcely comfort you. I keep thinking it over, seeing in my mind’s eye the gods looking down on our arrogant assuredness that, having survived the Rash, nothing less could strike us down, and watching their response, this outbreak of influenza.

I look at Tuuri’s last letter over and over, finding no hint in it that it would be the last ever. When the news came, I shut myself in my office and simply howled: for Tuuri, who braved the Silent World only to die in her own bed; for Onni, ever fearful of the Rash, but felled by yet an older enemy of Man; for Mikkel, who tended the sick and dying until he himself dropped; for Sigrun; and, yes, for Marta.

I look upon my own words above and despise their inadequacy. I would come to you, but they still haven’t lifted the travel bans here in Sweden. Anyway,

I’m glad to hear most everyone under the age of 50 survived. It was that way here, as well, though the majority of our wisest and most venerable succumbed. Give all your surviving kin a big hug of condolence from me.

Esko has announced that he will be a doctor when he comes of age, as he desires to make the sick well.

They’re still letting letters through, so please keep writing. Enclosed is a translated letter from Reynir, who was in the habit of writing to Mikkel. Now that we three alone are left, he wants to chat more.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Year 124, Winter

Lalli,

I’m a grandfather, twice over. How odd.

Apparently, Aku has been seeing this girl Hanna for some time, and when the Flu hit last winter, they decided to throw caution to the wind and marry, unwilling to waste time they might not have. So, of course, she got pregnant--with twins, no less!--and came through that and the delivery like a trooper, and only then did they think to inform me of all this.

Of course, I’ve been rooted here at the Cleanser Training Camp, while Aku has been heavily involved with the recent actions up in the far north, near Luleå and the Ironworks, but still, he could have written, at the very least.

They have let me meet my grandchildren, though, and the two of them are so like Aku and Esko at that age that it’s uncanny. They have named the boy Mikkel Emil, and the girl Hanna Marta. Don’t worry; I’m sure your name will float around in the family pool of names for some time to come.

Did I mention Aku’s been promoted? They’ve made him a Captain already, after barely two cycles in the field! What madness is this?

Your last letter mentioned you’ve been having some stomach problems, so I’ve enclosed a copy of Tuuri’s hot mash recipe, in case you lost yours. It’s seriously the best stomach-soother that I’ve ever had. Take care of yourself.

Your Cleanser friend,
Emil Västerström

Author’s Notes

The first letter was hard to write. I hope it came out OK.

But, more importantly: Tuuri’s hot mash recipe was supposed to be for Emil’s baby to eat, not him. Apparently, Lalli never mentioned that. Oops.

I lika… do… da cha-cha.
I really enjoy these letters. Something came to mind after this one, though- how's Emil's Finnish, or Lalli's Swedish, these days? It's implied that they've both been learning, but now neither one has a translator close to them(that we've seen, I think). Tuuri, Onni, and Mikkel in one sweep, though, that's tough :(.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #729 on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »
LooNEY-DAC, It is most sad, as well as being an effective link to our own world. Like us, they are faced with more challenges than the ones usually regarded as most terrible.

After the last set of letters, I had a wonderful mental image that I'm not artist enough to render: A Valkyrie approaching Valhalla on her horse, but just barely - bouncing on its rump, clutching her helmet with the same hand that holds her spear, while Sigrun sits in the saddle, with a manic expression of glee, waving the reins - riding a flying horse looked like too much fun to pass up, and after all, how hard could it be?
For this multiple loss, no such light-hearted comfort occurs.

Heavily edited - I'll get the hang of this forum posting someday...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:26:50 AM by Buteo »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
LooNEY: sad but well written, and properly observes the ironies. People forget that the influenza epidemic after World War 1, for instance, killed way more people than did the whole Great War.

Emil and Lalli are never going to meet again in the flesh, are they?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2015, 03:33:23 AM »
LooNEY: sad but well written, and properly observes the ironies. People forget that the influenza epidemic after World War 1, for instance, killed way more people than did the whole Great War.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing!  It's going to be like "Cat's in the Cradle," I sadly suspect. 
When will I see you, Lalli?  I don't know when, but we'll have a good time then...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #732 on: July 15, 2015, 06:22:06 AM »
LooNEY (and in extension Sunflower) STOP MAKING ME SAD. Lovely writing though, can't wait to read more and completely crush my heart. :D
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #733 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »

Looney said that this fic is a prequel to his other fic, where Lalli and Emil die on the same day, so they will only meet again in the afterlife. :(
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #734 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Looney said that this fic is a prequel to his other fic, where Lalli and Emil die on the same day, so they will only meet again in the afterlife. :(
This fic is depressing for me :( *Needs more happiness*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: