Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787403 times)

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3885 on: February 22, 2021, 05:06:52 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. :) They felt nice, for lack of working out more precise wording.
I am so certain, that some more rhythm/meter could be worked into the text, but I also so didn’t and don’t want to spend the effort. I’ll put my effort (for SSSS-fanworks) into more little things and maybe into working out the drafts I have lying around.

Quick fragment:
Spoiler: The Conspiracy • show

Reynir was bound to a chair in a dark room, or somesuch. In front of him: the smudge of grease on his nose, his freckles and his puzzled expression. His freckles began to speak: “We have met here, to put our plans into action. We’ll make you ... even more adorable!” Reynir: “No! No!” trying to get up from his chair. His puzzled expression: “You’ll be totally adorbz when we’re done with you.” The smudge of grease: “Tuuri will love it!” Reynir: “Nooo...!” And Reynir woke up sweating and panting.

Spoiler: Author’s notes • show

Reynir having some prophetic dream, but he probably won’t remember it.
Taking place in and inspired by Kiraly’s Hipster Band AU that was recently linked to the Art thread. Specifically: “He had a smudge of grease on his nose, and it conspired with his freckles and puzzled expression to make him even more adorable.” in the chapter “The Girl on the Bike”. These stories are very fun to read.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:12:08 PM by Groupoid »
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3886 on: February 25, 2021, 04:28:47 AM »
Later Mikkel heard Reynir speaking to himself...
"No! I don't want to be more adorable! I don't want to have a puzzled expression forever!"
"To whom are you speaking to, Reynir?"
"Me? I.. I was... my frecles... they..."
Mikkel gives him a hug. "You look adorable with that puzzled expression, do you know?"
"Nooooo!!!"

(Grupoid, I hope you don't mind me taking this one step further. :)  )
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3887 on: February 25, 2021, 08:58:01 AM »
I laughed so hard at this. Feel free to be inspired by stuff I write and create new stuff! *mumbling about being happy with references and enjoying spontaneous collaborations*
The non-sexual-M/M-hug makes me somewhat uncomfortable, I dunno whether it fits Mikkel in canon or in Kiraly’s AU. But it’s (physically) possible so let’s leave it at that. I wish I was more comfortable with hugs... I’m thinking too hard about this response.

I laugh each time I read your post again. It fits so well.

Edit: Actually, I chose my avatar because I wished I was more comfortable with hugs. Wishing to be so free like Reynir in that moment, to hug his friends. And it’s such a nice thing to be greeted by a happy face when logging in to the forum.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:54:41 PM by Groupoid »

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3888 on: February 25, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »
I laughed so hard at this. Feel free to be inspired by stuff I write and create new stuff! *mumbling about being happy with references and enjoying spontaneous collaborations*

Sounds like you´ll love the chapter-break-fillers then. These live from spontaneous collaboration. :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3889 on: February 25, 2021, 07:13:32 PM »
The non-sexual-M/M-hug makes me somewhat uncomfortable, I dunno whether it fits Mikkel in canon or in Kiraly’s AU. But it’s (physically) possible so let’s leave it at that. I wish I was more comfortable with hugs... I’m thinking too hard about this response.

I laugh each time I read your post again. It fits so well.

Edit: Actually, I chose my avatar because I wished I was more comfortable with hugs. Wishing to be so free like Reynir in that moment, to hug his friends. And it’s such a nice thing to be greeted by a happy face when logging in to the forum.
I'm very happy for making you laugh! :) And even more for doing it again! :D

About the hug, I felt that Mikkel wouldn't resist Reynir's adorableness.
Do you remember how he hugged Emil and Lalli when they arrived after being lost and presumed dead? To me Mikkel is the kind of person that really enjoys a hug (like myself).

The way people see M/M hugs is also affected by their society. I live in Portugal, and here hugging friends is more or less normal. I never lived on any Northern country* but from what I know physical contact is more limited, which could justify some discomfort. BTW do you know that in some african countries it's perfectly normal for men to walk hand-in-hand? It's just a sign of friendship.

* to someone that lives in Portugal anything beyond the Pyrinees is "Northern" :)

And yes, Mirasol, I think our new friend will be delighted with our chapter-break-fillers!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3890 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »
A little fluff.
Spoiler: Part 1, Coffee • show

The coffeehouse already had a lot of patrons, Reynir couldn’t find a free table. “Do you mind if I join you?” he asked two young men. The thinner of the two only silently stared at him. “No, please take a seat” the older one responded and gave the thin one a disapproving glare. Reynir put his tea and plate on their table and seated himself. He took out his notebook and began doodling and writing a bit. He wanted something to remind him of this trip to the city, for when he returned to the farm again.
The two other men exchanged some words, but Reynir didn’t know their language. They were gesturing at a makeshift stage, where some young people were preparing their instruments. The stage was simply a corner where the tables had been removed.
The small chamber ensemble began playing a light tune. Different from the songs played on the village festivals Reynir had been to. The older of Reynir’s table neighbors winked to a girl sitting next to the stage.
She turned out to be one of three singers that stood up after the overture and presented a story about a coffee infatuated girl and her less-than-happy father. Reynir smirked often at the text and admired the singers who sang lots of ornaments. Especially the part of the girl seemed difficult at times.

After the performance and a great applause the girl came to Reynir’s table and began chatting with the other two men. Unfortunately for Reynir, she also spoke that language he didn’t understand. In a moment of silence he said: “You sang beautifully, and it was a fun story.” “Thank you. As amateur that feels good to hear”, she answered, “Onni, would you care to introduce me to your friend?” The man called Onni suddenly became very insecure. “Um, we don’t actually know each other, I just sat here, because there was no free table”, Reynir tried to help. “Oh, never mind then. I’m Tuuri, pleased to meet you.” she held out her hand, and tried to recover the situation. “Nice to meet you, I’m Reynir.”
Oh great, now that they’re talking we’re going to stay here even longer, the man next to Onni thought.

When Reynir returned to the boarding house, he was humming: “Coffee, Coffee I must ha~ave." He wouldn’t mind meeting the Hotakainens again.

Spoiler: Author’s Comments • show

Ha! I evaded writing that dialogue! I got a bit tangled up thinking about it, so you have to imagine it yourself.
I’m not yet doing the ballroom dance, but I think I’ll build up to it. Bonus points: Why could this fit the “brook” prompt? ;D I’ll submit as Chapter Break Filler will be another one.

And have another:
Spoiler: The Great Fluff • show

“Dinner is ready!” a portly lady called. “Coming!” a lonely, blond kid answered from another room. He looked forward to dinner and was so lost in thought contemplating dessert, that he almost tripped over something lying in the hallway. A weak “mrrh” came from the grey speckled blob. The body inspected the fuzzy mass more closely. “Big Kitty!”, was the first thing that came to his mind, “Oh, but you’re all wet. Let me get something to dry you off.” He took a piece of the carpet and rubbed it all over the unexpected visitor. It nudged and grumbled slightly, as if to indicate pain. When he was finished, he dropped the soggy wash-cloth and petted the now completely dry beast. Its fur was as soft as freshly fallen powdery snow.
If he hadn’t been interrupted, he probably would have continued petting the fur forever. “Emil!” the lady called. “Oh right, dinner” mumbled the boy, lifted up what he now considered to be his pet and took it to the dining room.
– Emil, what have you got here?
– Can we keep him? He’s so fluffy!
– Well for now at least. But first let’s have dinner.
The boy gently put the lynx on the couch and sat down at the dining table. After a while a thought occurred to him and it seemed very urgent to settle this. “Will he also have dinner?” Emil asked “I’ll get him a bowl of stew.” “Of course you do.” his nanny didn’t seem to care much.
Emil stayed with the lynx who weakly began lapping from the bowl. The boy was completely absorbed in stroking the lynx, so he didn’t notice it at first when someone called his name. “Emil, wake up!” Oh well.

Inspirational picture by nefnef.

Spoiler: Explanation • show

Lalli (as Lynx) get’s himself stuck in Emil’s head again, but in a different dream than in the comic. He’s wet, because swam through the waters between the dreams.  :lalli: :emil:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:43:55 PM by Groupoid »

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3891 on: March 01, 2021, 07:19:29 PM »
Groupoid, nice vignettes! I especially like "Coffee" - The Coffee Cantata is an old favourite. I introduced my grad school office-mate to it, because we drank a LOT of coffee. She particularly like the line "If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat." (Full translation https://dmitrimatheny.com/blog/blog/bach-s-coffee-cantata-libretto-translation). I've run across other translations, but I like that one best for some reason.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3892 on: March 04, 2021, 07:17:38 AM »
These are very charming, Groupoid!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3893 on: March 07, 2021, 04:07:54 AM »
The Synchronised Screaming group posted some prompts, and I have written a thing.  The Enchanted Chain

Now, to go back and read some of your stories!  *looks at clock hands set to past-your-bedtime-on-a-work-night-missy*  Soon, I promise.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3894 on: March 07, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
Have just posted the 6th and second-last chapter of ‘Year 3 Very Far to the South’ on Archive of Our Own, where I am Tanist. It is beginning to be a bit sad, but the last chapter will be better.

Mod wavewright62 butting in here to post a link to this very fine story: Year 3 Very Far to the South
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:25:52 PM by wavewright62 »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3895 on: March 08, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »
I love all the stories that have been posted here lately! Sadly I don´t have the time to comment on each of them right now, but I enjoyed reading them all!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3896 on: March 08, 2021, 11:34:47 PM »
Thank you for putting up that link, Wavewright. I have never been able to make the damned things work.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3897 on: March 09, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »
The Synchronised Screaming group posted some prompts, and I have written a thing.  The Enchanted Chain

Now, to go back and read some of your stories!  *looks at clock hands set to past-your-bedtime-on-a-work-night-missy*  Soon, I promise.
I like this magic-system very much. It took me a while to get what "wax" referred to. :mikkel:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3898 on: March 09, 2021, 08:47:09 PM »
I like this magic-system very much. It took me a while to get what "wax" referred to. :mikkel:

Thank you. 8)

Years later, after settlements got big enough to support restaurants again, Lalli could never stand going to the ones where they had candles on the table, claiming that the smell made him nauseous. 

He and Emil once got banned from a restaurant when they argued about keeping the candle lit for once, and Emil lit it up BUT GOOD before Lalli dumped a whole pitcher of juice on it.  When the chef emerged to see what the hullaballoo was, they were shocked to see it was Mikkel.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3899 on: March 10, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
Thank you. 8)

Years later, after settlements got big enough to support restaurants again, Lalli could never stand going to the ones where they had candles on the table, claiming that the smell made him nauseous. 

He and Emil once got banned from a restaurant when they argued about keeping the candle lit for once, and Emil lit it up BUT GOOD before Lalli dumped a whole pitcher of juice on it.  When the chef emerged to see what the hullaballoo was, they were shocked to see it was Mikkel.

It was funny enough up to the pitcher of juice. Mikkel is the crowning touch. Brava!  ;D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: