Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787382 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3780 on: August 01, 2020, 05:43:20 AM »
I knew it was a good Idea to keep an eye on this thread now. Lallicat, I love it! Especially the Sigrun-wrestling-with-a-demonchild-part!

I have in fact also put the current fic I´m working on on hold and written a Human!Kitty-AU-fic (I couldn´t stop myself...), but had quite a different take on it as you did. Is it ok if I post it too?
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3781 on: August 01, 2020, 06:07:24 AM »
It’s very interesting to see different versions of the same idea, please do post, Mirasol! And Looney_DAC course when the thinking is done!

Lallicat, what a great start! Do go on! Does she speak Human at all, or just Meow?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3782 on: August 01, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
Allright, just wanted to make sure since it was originally Lallicat´s idea. So here goes: (might be a little darker than Lallicat´s version)

Spoiler: part 1 • show
It looked like the little girl was starting to feel better. She didn´t seem to be scared of the crew anymore, and when Mikkel had offered her food this morning, she had eaten with great appetite. Only asking her what her family was doing at that old school and how she survived that long proved to be difficult. She only spoke Danish with a strange heavy accent, and not well at that. Like someone who wasn´t used to talking. That made sense, all things considered, surviving in the silent world with little protection and shelter required to be able to stay quiet. And the kid was… 9 years old, at most. If his theory was correct, she had never lived in a safe place. So that she was better at communicating with small gestures and occasional sounds made sense. She probably never learned to do it differently. And that her only reaction to Sigrun speaking in extra loud and slow Norwegian accompanied with a lot of hand-waving was visible (and slightly startled) confusion made sense too. When the captains voice started to get increasingly louder and the poor kid started looking around like a cornered animal Mikkel decided it was time to step in.
“Maybe I should try. I think you are scaring her. She seems to understand some Danish, at least.” Sigrun let out a frustrated growl and stepped away.
Mikkel took a chair and sat down opposite to the little girl. She had long, fuzzy, red hair that ended in dark-brown tips. Truly a unique coloring. Emil and Tuuri had been cooing over how pretty it was earlier.
“Hej”, he said, in Danish, and a lot more muted than Sigrun. The girl looked at him with her big blue eyes in surprise. “I am Mikkel. Can you tell me what your name is?”, he continued. The girl blinked and said nothing. Maybe that was too complicated.
“What is your name?”, he tried again. She looked down very concentrated, as if she was deciphering the sentence word by word.
After a few seconds she answered. “Misse.” The kid smiled a little. “Mom said Missekat. Sometimes.”
Tuuri, who had been busy contacting the home base over the new situation seemed to be done and had appeared behind Mikkel. “Aww, her name is Kitty? That means Kitty, right?” She was talking Icelandic.
“Yes, it means Kitty.” Mikkel smiled too. “But I think that was just a nickname.”
“Still, it´s so cute! I need to tell the others.” With that she scurried away.
The little girl´s eyes followed her curiously. But Mikkel had to stop her from getting up. He had to ask her more. It was important for the protocol.
“Do you know how old you are? Uh… How old are you? How many years?”
The girl… Misse, concentrated again, but seemed to come to no conclusion. She ended up just looking at Mikkel in confusion. Ok, she didn´t know. The protocol would be fine with an estimate. There were other, more important questions.
“The house where we found you… do you know which one?” Misse concentrated, longer this time. After a while she nodded.
“Did you live there? Was it your home?” The girl squinted her eyes. Slowly she started nodding, then shaking her head, then nodding again, until freezing in the middle of the movement. She thought carefully about her choice of words.
“Yes no. Home for the rain. For today. But new. ”
That was about what Mikkel had expected. “So, where did you live. Where was your home.”
Misse shrugged. “Changing. Where it´s safe.” She sank down with an unhappy face. “But wasn´t safe.”
Mikkel sighed. He didn´t want to remind her too much of what happened, so short after it happened. Sigrun and Emil had been looking for books in an old school two days ago (and only brought home old Data-devices for which the required technology was lost…) and ran into a dog-beast. By the time they got there it had already killed Misse´s mother. She had been unarmed. Her very young kids had been hiding in an old, overflowing canal. Misse was the only one that hadn´t drowned yet. She didn´t cry for help. It was pure luck that Emil saw her before it was too late.
The girl had been mainly unharmed, some scratches from sharp objects in the canal, that was all. She had a scar on her arm that looked like the bite of a beast. But it appeared to be really old. She was most likely immune. Since there were no newer bites, Mikkel had decided it was safe to let Tuuri and Reynir near the kid. With their masks on, for now. He needed a way to confirm her immunity. Maybe Misse even knew herself. It wouldn´t hurt asking. And would also be a good change of subject.
“The disease that turns animals and humans into monsters…”
“Rash”, she said. Good, she knew.
“Can you get it? Can you get sick?”
She showed the scar on her arm. “No. This was sick small animal. Long ago. Bit me. I didn´t get sick.”
Mikkel inspected the arm closer this time. Yes, the bite looked at least a year old. But judging by how well it was still visible, it must have been deep. She would have definitely gotten the rash if she wasn´t immune. It looked like she was in the clear. But just to be safe, he would still advise Reynir and Tuuri to wear their masks until the possible incubation-time was over. He nodded.
“Okay. That is all. Are you hungry?”
Misse smiled again. “Yes.”
Finally someone who appreciated his cooking.
“Alright. Here, take a blanket so you don´t get cold and go outside.” He knew she wouldn´t understand him, so he just directly put the blanket in her arms and gestured towards the door. “I will make dinner.”

It also still needs quite a bit of revising, so constructive criticism is very apprechiated.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:14:32 AM by Mirasol »

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #3783 on: August 01, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
Mirasol, I love your take on the human!Kitty idea! If Of course you should post your version, I don't own the idea! Anyway, here's the second part of my story:

Spoiler: show
 "Help! Mikkel! Emergency!" These were the words that changed my life forever. When you are a medic and someone yells your name, and emergency in the same sentence, you have to prepare yourself for the worst.
"You two in isolation now, until the situation is cleared! Tuuri, you know the drill!" I tell her and Reynir. Grabbing my kit and steeling my nerves, I shoot out to the entrance of the Cat Tank. "Who here needs medical attention?"
"This kid does!" I hear Emil reply. When they come into my view, I am treated with a truly bizarre sight. Emil is carrying a female child on his back, while Sigrun is carrying an arm load of cats. "She's cold and wet and sick! You have to fix her!" insists Emil.
"...I see. And the cats?"
"Dead. But I thought we could give them a proper burial." Sigrun wheezes. I frown as I take in her appearance.
"You're hurt-" I begin but she brushes off my concern with a wave of her hand.
" 'm fine. Take care of the kid. I'm okay."

Most of her wounds were simple. A swab of antiseptic, a bandage, done. A few of the deeper cuts required stitching, but overall, it was nothing life threatening. However, one of the cuts was on the back of her head. This would be only slightly worrying if it wasn't for the bruise on her forehead.
"Why are you so worried about her forehead? It's just a bruise, it'll be fine in a few days." I turned to look at Sigrun.
"I worry because it could mean she has a concussion. She obviously suffered a heavy blow to the head. She'll live, but there's no guarantee that her memory and mind will be intact when she wakes up. If she wakes up at all."

I'll probably switch between 3rd person POV and 1st person POV, just to change things up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:15:57 AM by Lallicat »
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3784 on: August 01, 2020, 10:50:24 AM »
Ooh, mirasol and lallicat, I love how you're both taking this!!!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3785 on: August 01, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
Well, this is about the best I can get this (for now). Sigh.

Spoiler: Found: One Kitty • show
“Kitty.” It was the only word the child would speak, though it was in perfect Swedish, utterly without accent.

Even that little took a truly herculean effort to get out of her; the child had obviously grown accustomed both to not speaking and to the lack of anyone to whom she could speak. She was almost as silent as the animal whose name she spoke, and often off in a world of her own, absently batting at little balls of crumpled paper with a wistful look on her face.

Eventually, they gave up and started calling her “Kitty”; she paid them slightly better heed than an actual cat would have, but it was obvious that she hadn’t meant to name herself thus. Still, the child only ever said, “Kitty”; she gave no hint of what her birth name was, or anything else about herself.

Despite her preferred utterance, she could have been of any nationality, because her orange-ish hair (Mikkel told them that the white streaks were almost certainly due to stress) and blue eyes were not uncommon sights in any of the five nations in the Known World; the vague heart shape of her face wasn’t so uncommon, either. The “clothes” she’d had on when Emil found her were tattered rags in such horrible condition that Mikkel didn’t even bother trying to check them for clues; he just incinerated them, to the relief of all of the others.

Even her age was in question, as she was small and malnourished; though he knew it was a theoretical possibility, Mikkel’s knowledge did not extend to allowing for him to investigate any physiological signs that would set her age range more definitely than the rest of them could guess at, even if his somewhat skewed spatial perception would have allowed for it. “I can only tell someone’s age by autopsy,” was how he put it to Sigrun, who agreed that none of them wanted to know that badly.

Tuuri’s report of their discovery of “Kitty” had been prompt and proper, and everyone (especially Emil) would have given their eyeteeth to have been in the room with their four backers when they’d heard the news, but there was really nothing more the backers could do than what they’d already done when Reynir had blundered into their company, so the little band had to take care of “Kitty” as best they could with what they had on hand. Fortunately, they had enough spare clothes (among other things) to outfit “Kitty”; there was also (just) enough food to stretch to feeding another mouth (though Lalli started bringing back small prey he’d taken from his scouting runs).

The radio had startled “Kitty” badly the first time she’d heard it crackle to life, sending her scurrying into a pile of dirty bedding Mikkel had gathered for the wash, but her scare was not enough that she said anything then. Eventually, Tuuri coaxed her into saying “Kitty” into the microphone, but that took weeks and weeks.

A child had no business going along on forays into potentially lethal spots for books, however long she’d been forced to live in similar potentially lethal surroundings; thus, her care fell mostly upon Mikkel, Tuuri, and Reynir, though Emil was most unexpectedly helpful when he was around. Of course, it had been Emil who found her in the first place, half-starved and more than half-frozen in the sodden remnants of what had once been a place where children gathered to be taught, surrounded by the drowned bodies of a family of cats; whether she was taking care of the Blessed Felines or being cared for by them was open to question, though it was probably some of both.

In those early days, “Kitty” was still small enough to ride any of their legs, and every so often, she would wrap herself around the nearest such leg (unless it happened to be Lalli’s; the two of them had an uneasy truce, but…) and the person so afflicted would go into a whole pantomime routine about how they were being attacked by a horrible monster and needed help; it was the only time “Kitty” would ever giggle like a normal child.

Each member of their little band dealt with “Kitty” in their own ways, of course. It was only Tuuri who could coax “Kitty” into taking a bath, and only after considerable wheedling. It was only Mikkel who could feed “Kitty”, though that was not nearly so difficult. It was only Emil for whom “Kitty” would pull in her tongue, the tip of which she usually left sticking out between her lips in what Sigrun called a “blep” and Mikkel called a “derp”. It was only Lalli who could get “Kitty” to come out from her favorite hiding places, though he always wore an expression even more sour than his usual dour mien as he did so. It was only Sigrun who was fast enough to catch “Kitty” when she tried to make a break out of the open door of the Cat-Tank when Sigrun and Emil returned from one of their book raids.

It was only Reynir who noticed that “Kitty” was almost as sensitive to grosslings as a real kitten would have been, and Reynir who found her in the Dreamworld one fateful night…

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #3786 on: August 01, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »
LooNEY_DAC I love what you have going there! (It also sounds like we have many of the same ideas as well...)

Spoiler: Kitty Part 3: Tuna • show

Reynir, Emil, Tuuri, and Lalli were staring at the child. (For lack of a better name, they called her anything ranging from kid, to little girl, to cat girl, to kitten, to "hey, you!") She had woken up that morning, and was now devouring tuna by the platefull. Tuuri was fascinated by her. She had hair which was so much of a mess of knots and tangles, covered in dirt and leaves that it was impossible to tell the exact color of it. She had estimated her age to be about 5, but now she wasn't so sure. Now she seemed like more of a 7 year old. Her limbs were swimming in one of Tuuri's spare uniforms, looking even smaller then she had before. "Where do you think she came from?" whispered Reynir. "I don't known" Tuuri whispered back. "Isn't she strange, Lalli?" Her cousin shook his head. "Not strange. Mysterious. Different."  He then stared at the girl with such a vigorous expression that Turri wouldn't be surprised if he burned holes in the wall. Emil gave a yelp surprise. "Look! She's looking at us!" Tuuri rolled her eyes. "What do you think we're doing?" she asked him. But when she turned her head to look at the small girl, she gasped. There was something about her that made you stop and stare. She had a heart shaped face with big blue eyes that were bright despite the grime on her face and seemed to stare into your soul. "Mikkel?" Tuuri whispered. "I think she wants more food." The bowl in front of her was licked clean. "Again? I swear this child has the wierdest appetite for tuna that I've ever seen." He turned to the girl. "Okay. One more bowl, but after that I'm making you take a bath. The hissing that followed did not bode well for whoever would be in charge of bath time.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3787 on: August 01, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
All of these are wonderful! Like I already said, it’s great to see different takes on basically the same situation.

Grey suggested at some point that it would be interesting to have shared prompts on a chapter break filler at some time, and after this I’m even more inclined to agree (I was on board already)

I’m eager to learn whether Looney_DAC’s Kitty can speak human in the dreamworld:)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3788 on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
Wow, it´s so interesting that the same concept produced three stories that different. I´m really interested in what way yours are going, Lallicat and LooNEY_DAC! (And the white streaks in Kitty´s hair, LooNEY_DAC, that is such a cool detail, I should have included it in my design!)
I gotta admit, when Grey suggested it, I wasn´t that sold on the "shared-prompts"-idea. But seing how this is currently playing out, that really could be cool!

I originally didn´t want to continue my story, but now I´m tempted to...

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3789 on: August 01, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
I’m thinking something like 3 or 4 people sharing one prompt, not one single prompt for the entire break. Especially with the variation of stories, art, poetry and other things it would be interesting. Hopefully it’s not very soon though!

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #3790 on: August 01, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
I'm getting waaaaaay too into this. Anyway, here's part four.

Spoiler: Kitty Part 4: Hair • show

"Rowerhisssss!"
"No! Stop it!" I heard Sigrun yell. It had fallen to her and Tuuri to bathe the cat-child, and it was very entertaining to listen to.
"Maybe if we give her tuna to eat while we wash her?" I heard Tuuri offer. It apparently worked, because the hissing and the cursing subsided. Minutes later, a sopping wet sullking cat-child appeared. Truth to be told, Sigrun and Tuuri were wet and sulky as well. The latter sighed. "We'll have to cut her hair. It's too tangled to do anything with it." At these words, the small cat-child wrenched away from her grip and ran inside.
"You may not like it, but it'll have to be done! I'll sit on you if I have to!" Sigrun yelled after her. An idea sparks in my brain.
"Maybe I could do it? I could help!"
"Sure, Reynir, feel free to tackle that crazy child." Sigrun tells me as she straightens out her shirt. I smile. This is going to be fun!

This is not fun. After half an hour of chasing, the Cat-child is exhausted enough to let me near her, but not exhausted enough to let me touch her hair. She currently resides on top of the barracks, watching me with those blue eyes of hers. "I give up," I mutter. "Sigrun can murder your hair for all I care." Flopping down on the floor, I start brushing my own hair. The monotony of the exercise soon relaxes me and I start humming a song my mother used to sing to me when she brushed my hair. I carefully start to braid it, making sure each strand falls in place. When I'm done, I look up to see the cat-child staring at me. She climbs down from the bunks and faces me. "Will you let me fix your hair now?" I ask her. She answers me with a wordless nod. It takes a good while to get all the main knots untangled. She winces as I pull the brush through her locks, but never complains. She had nice hair. It's a pretty white color, tipped with orange, the shade a little lighter than mine. I wonder how it got thay way. Finally I'm satisfied with my work. Her hair lies long and silky down her back without a tangle in sight. "How do you want it styled?" I ask her. I admit I'm having a bit too much fun playing with her hair. She just shrugs in response. I consider giving her a braid, but I feel feel a bit possessive of the hairstyle. I opt for a simple ponytail. She had some short wisps of hair framing her face due to some strands that really couldn't be salvaged, and had to be cut off. I made sure she knew what I was doing beforehand, because I really didn't fancy being attacked. When I finally presented her to the rest of the crew, I was rewarded with gasps of delight from Tuuri and Emil, a look that wasn't a glare from Lalli, a "Good job" and a pat on the shoulder from Mikkel, and the best gift of all from Sigrun. A "Well look at that Braidy, you helped!"

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3791 on: August 01, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
I guess just about everyone here's too new to remember the 100 Prompt NaNoWriMo challenge a bunch of people wrote SSSS fics for, aren't you?
Spoiler: The List • show
1. Introduction | 2. Love | 3. Light | 4. Dark | 5. Seeking Solace | 6. Break Away | 7. Heaven | 8. Innocence | 9. Drive | 10. Breathe Again | 11. Memory | 12. Insanity | 13. Misfortune | 14. Smile | 15. Silence | 16. Questioning | 17. Blood | 18. Rainbow | 19. Gray | 20. Fortitude | 21. Vacation | 22. Mother Nature | 23. Cat | 24. Time Is Running Out | 25. Trouble Lurking | 26. Tears | 27. Friendship | 28. Sorrow | 29. Happiness | 30. Under the Rain | 31. Flowers | 32. Night | 33. Expectations | 34. Stars | 35. Hold My Hand | 36. Precious Treasure | 37. Eyes | 38. Abandon | 39. Dreams | 40. Dragons | 41. Teamwork | 42. Standing Still | 43. Dying | 44. Hate | 45. Illusion | 46. Family | 47. Creation | 48. Childhood | 49. Stripes | 50. Siblings | 51. Sport | 52. Deep in Thought | 53. Keeping a Secret | 54. Tower | 55. Waiting | 56. Murder | 57. Sacrifice | 58. Kick in the Head | 59. No Way Out | 60. Rejection | 61. Dance | 62. Magic | 63. Do Not Disturb | 64. Lovers | 65. Horror | 66. Traps | 67. Playing the Melody | 68. Hero | 69. Annoyance | 70. Bound and Gagged | 71. Obsession | 72. Mischief Managed | 73. I Can’t | 74. Are You Challenging Me? | 75. Mirror | 76. Sexy | 77. Test | 78. Drink | 79. Starvation | 80. Words | 81. Pen and Paper | 82. Can You Hear Me? | 83. Heal | 84. Out Cold | 85. Spiral | 86. Seeing Red | 87. Food | 88. Pain | 89. Through the Fire | 90. Triangle | 91. Drowning | 92. All That I Have | 93. Give Up | 94. Last Hope | 95. Advertisement | 96. In the Storm | 97. Safety First | 98. Puzzle | 99. Solitude | 100. End

Spoiler: Participants • show

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3792 on: August 01, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »
Hey, I'm loving this idea! And also hoping to contribute soon! Well done, my friends!

(and I'm sure almost any idea will work fine with such a bunch of creative and talented people that we have here! I bet that if I challenged you all to write (or draw) about a shoe box we would end up with some great pieces of fiction/art!) ;)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3793 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
Hey, LooNEY, I remember!

I still go back through the AO3 listings for SSSS, and re-read favorites (including everything of yours).

(A propos of nothing else, thank you for noticing my "Devil Went Down To Georgia" filk.)

I am also enjoying the various Human Kitty renditions! Please, keep going!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3794 on: August 01, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »
I wrote this a while ago, it's a story taking place in Africa in the SSSS world. This is mostly a prologue to the actual story, quickly written and only quickly revised. :P I may or may not finish it, but I wanted to put it here for some feedback so... enjoy?

..." Water buffalos are nasty creatures..."

A naturalist-type note...

While water buffalo are now found in some parts of Africa, they are of Asian origin, are frequently domesticated, and to  this day are a major draft animal for many Asian farmers.

The animal native to Africa is the Cape buffalo. It is ranked among the most dangerous game animals, because it (gasp!) has the nerve to resent being attacked, and will not only fight back, but attack the would-be hunter preemptively, given any chance.
There is a verse in French that translates: "This animal is very vicious; when one attacks him, he defends himself." [I hope the ironic tone came through.]

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that your characters aren't dealing with water buffalo; as we have seen, anything distorted by the Rash is seriously dangerous, and a previously domesticated animal becoming a Beast would be that much more frightening than one which was already regarded as a threat. It just caused my brain to trip for a moment, and get distracted from the story (which I am enjoying).

Everyone who is writing here is showing more courage than I have - please, keep going!