Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 768404 times)

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3300 on: August 13, 2017, 03:15:38 AM »
That one made me laugh. What happens next?
I'm not sure honestly!  I was writing this and put it down for a while and completely forgot where it was going.  I think I'll give it a proper ending when I revise it to put up on AO3
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3301 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »
*Re-emerges from oblivion*
About a month ago, I got an idea for a story that could be wrapped up in about six or seven chapters and kept finding things to change or catching mistakes in the first few chapters, so I just went ahead and decided to not publish anything until I had finished writing the whole thing. I won't lie, this is technically my "dealing with Tuuri's death" story.

Second chances: Prologue
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:38:45 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3302 on: August 16, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
Hey look, I actually wrote something main-forum-appropriate for once.

The Call of the Mountains

:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3303 on: August 16, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »
Hey look, I actually wrote something main-forum-appropriate for once.

The Call of the Mountains

Stabby General Sigrun, and Berit Eide being good value.  Splendid.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3304 on: August 18, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
To reduce my risks of being a multiple poster, the non-prologue chapters of my already-finished short fic are going to be posted in pairs. Here are the first two, that expand on the situation hinted at in the prologue.

Second chances: Chapter 1
Second chances: Chapter 2

Various bits and pieces went into this story, and one of them resulted in it having a theme song. Chapter 2 happens to contain a couple of the scenes that make the song appropriate, so I'm posting it along with this batch.

/>
Spoiler: For people who recognize the song • show
I know the group made an official English cover, but I consider this version of the original Japanese and this specific translation are what work best for the story and its general mood.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:32:56 PM by Grade E cat »

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3305 on: August 21, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 2, Part 15
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: Onni and the Cursed Machine • show
Onni Hotakainen liked machines, as a rule; and if he didn’t actively like them, he usually didn’t dislike them. It was very unusual for Onni to actively dislike a machine, and even more rare for him to hate one.

Onni hated this machine.

The roots of this hatred sprang from the first moment Onni had laid eyes on it as Tuuri had proudly presented it to him this morning. “Just think—it’ll make your life soooooooo much easier, Onni!” she’d gushed at him, all unknowing of the antipathy crackling through the air between her brother and the machine.

For a Finn, and especially for a Finn mage, spirits were everywhere, and in everything. Some were helpful, some were indifferent, and some were actively hostile. No one could predict how any given spirit might react to any other, as any frazzled personnel director from the Old Times might have told them. In this instance, Onni had felt a burning, passionate hatred erupt between his spirit and the machine’s within a single instant.

The real problem was that the machine was a gift, and from Tuuri at that, so Onni had had to smile and nod and pretend he was so very pleased to receive his mortal enemy. It was only much later, after Tuuri had made her self-satisfied way back to her own dwelling, that Onni had realized that he’d missed hearing exactly what the machine was actually supposed to do, but that mattered less than one would expect, as Onni knew that whatever the machine had been built to do would be done poorly or not at all unless Tuuri was there to stand witness.

Well, the first thing for Onni was to determine whether the machine was supposed to be for indoor or outdoor use, which proved to be much more difficult than that sounded. It was a squat round thing with strange protrusions and hoses sprouting out of it in various places, but they all looked both rugged enough for outdoor work and fine enough to be used inside, so that was no help. The castors on its base were good enough to roll it across ground that wasn’t too broken, but the area around Onni’s rooms wasn’t particularly ill-kept, so no help there either.

There was a cable about as thick as Onni’s littlest finger wound around two protrusions obviously designed to hold it, and it ended in a standard electrical plug; obviously, this was how the machine was powered. Keuruu had electricity, though not much, and so its civilian use had only been allowed fairly recently; Onni’s stretch of housing had been one of the first to be electrified. Maybe the length of the cable would indicate whether it was supposed to stay inside or not?

So it was that Onni attempted to unwind the cable, which proved to be his first mistake. An hour later, the welts on his forehead had gone down considerably, he had finally managed to disentangle himself from the cable, and the plug had been firmly connected to the outlet.

Onni hated the machine.

Plugging the machine in proved to be Onni’s second mistake. With a horrible series of rattles and clangs that abruptly gave way to a loud, high-pitched whine that hurt Onni’s sensitive ears, the machine went wild, bouncing up and down and spinning around as the hoses flailed convulsively.

Fortunately, the convulsions ceased when Onni pulled the plug free—until Onni was poised directly above its cylindrical body, having approached it with a great deal of trepidation. When Onni opened his eyes again, he was flat on his back. With a groan, Onni got to his feet and poised himself above the machine once more.

Onni hated the machine.

So, there only seemed to be one control on the machine: a knob with three positions, labeled ON, OFF and REV. The knob was set to ON, so Onni set it to OFF before doing anything else.

It took a very long time for Onni to get up the nerve to put the plug back into the socket. Fortunately, nothing happened when he did.

A meow alerted Onni to the fact that he now had an audience: five Grade A cats had gathered at what they considered to be a safe distance and were watching him with an almost Lalli-like intensity.

Onni examined the machine again. One of the hoses led into a solid tube with a complicated handle that looked like it ought to detach from the main body. When Onni tried it, it worked, and the handle unfolded to expose a new set of controls, none of which worked when Onni tried them.

Obviously, Onni would have to set the main switch either to ON or to REV in order for the machine to do anything; but which should it be? Onni set it back to ON and stepped back hastily, but none of the earlier rattles and groans happened, though the whine returned.

Well, maybe pressing some of the controls on the handle would make something happen.

An hour later, Onni had finally wrested his cloak back from the nozzle, the horrible dust cloud had dispersed, the Grade A cats had come down from the rafters, and Onni’s nose had stopped bleeding.

Onni hated the machine.

Onni sighed and wiped his nose again, admitting defeat. Obviously, he would have to wait for Tuuri to get back…

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, here it is; hopefully, it isn’t too disappointing.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3306 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 15
Onni and the Cursed Machine

...it was a ShopVac, wasn't it? *hopeless giggling*
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3307 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »
*helpless giggling* I've had similar encounters with vacuum cleaners...
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3308 on: August 21, 2017, 07:02:41 PM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 15
Onni Hotakainen liked machines, as a rule; and if he didn’t actively like them, he usually didn’t dislike them. It was very unusual for Onni to actively dislike a machine, and even more rare for him to hate one.

Onni hated this machine.

The roots of this hatred sprang from the first moment Onni had laid eyes on it as Tuuri had proudly presented it to him this morning. “Just think—it’ll make your life soooooooo much easier, Onni!” she’d gushed at him, all unknowing of the antipathy crackling through the air between her brother and the machine.

For a Finn, and especially for a Finn mage, spirits were everywhere, and in everything. Some were helpful, some were indifferent, and some were actively hostile. No one could predict how any given spirit might react to any other, as any frazzled personnel director from the Old Times might have told them. In this instance, Onni had felt a burning, passionate hatred erupt between his spirit and the machine’s within a single instant.

The real problem was that the machine was a gift, and from Tuuri at that, so Onni had had to smile and nod and pretend he was so very pleased to receive his mortal enemy. It was only much later, after Tuuri had made her self-satisfied way back to her own dwelling, that Onni had realized that he’d missed hearing exactly what the machine was actually supposed to do, but that mattered less than one would expect, as Onni knew that whatever the machine had been built to do would be done poorly or not at all unless Tuuri was there to stand witness.

Well, the first thing for Onni was to determine whether the machine was supposed to be for indoor or outdoor use, which proved to be much more difficult than that sounded. It was a squat round thing with strange protrusions and hoses sprouting out of it in various places, but they all looked both rugged enough for outdoor work and fine enough to be used inside, so that was no help. The castors on its base were good enough to roll it across ground that wasn’t too broken, but the area around Onni’s rooms wasn’t particularly ill-kept, so no help there either.

There was a cable about as thick as Onni’s littlest finger wound around two protrusions obviously designed to hold it, and it ended in a standard electrical plug; obviously, this was how the machine was powered. Keuruu had electricity, though not much, and so its civilian use had only been allowed fairly recently; Onni’s stretch of housing had been one of the first to be electrified. Maybe the length of the cable would indicate whether it was supposed to stay inside or not?

So it was that Onni attempted to unwind the cable, which proved to be his first mistake. An hour later, the welts on his forehead had gone down considerably, he had finally managed to disentangle himself from the cable, and the plug had been firmly connected to the outlet.

Onni hated the machine.

Plugging the machine in proved to be Onni’s second mistake. With a horrible series of rattles and clangs that abruptly gave way to a loud, high-pitched whine that hurt Onni’s sensitive ears, the machine went wild, bouncing up and down and spinning around as the hoses flailed convulsively.

Fortunately, the convulsions ceased when Onni pulled the plug free—until Onni was poised directly above its cylindrical body, having approached it with a great deal of trepidation. When Onni opened his eyes again, he was flat on his back. With a groan, Onni got to his feet and poised himself above the machine once more.

Onni hated the machine.

So, there only seemed to be one control on the machine: a knob with three positions, labeled ON, OFF and REV. The knob was set to ON, so Onni set it to OFF before doing anything else.

It took a very long time for Onni to get up the nerve to put the plug back into the socket. Fortunately, nothing happened when he did.

A meow alerted Onni to the fact that he now had an audience: five Grade A cats had gathered at what they considered to be a safe distance and were watching him with an almost Lalli-like intensity.

Onni examined the machine again. One of the hoses led into a solid tube with a complicated handle that looked like it ought to detach from the main body. When Onni tried it, it worked, and the handle unfolded to expose a new set of controls, none of which worked when Onni tried them.

Obviously, Onni would have to set the main switch either to ON or to REV in order for the machine to do anything; but which should it be? Onni set it back to ON and stepped back hastily, but none of the earlier rattles and groans happened, though the whine returned.

Well, maybe pressing some of the controls on the handle would make something happen.

An hour later, Onni had finally wrested his cloak back from the nozzle, the horrible dust cloud had dispersed, the Grade A cats had come down from the rafters, and Onni’s nose had stopped bleeding.

Onni hated the machine.

Onni sighed and wiped his nose again, admitting defeat. Obviously, he would have to wait for Tuuri to get back…

EXCELLENT.  Although I am still curious why the Grade A cats went UP and not OUTOUTOUTNOW.  Not  at all disappointing.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3309 on: August 22, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »
I've managed another chapter of the Reynir superhero story, mostly because it was too long and had to be split.  They're back at Øresund Bridge, which is, not surprisingly, still munted.  So, Chap. 32:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/15125563
Chapter 33 should be polished & posted soon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:53:03 PM by wavewright62 »

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3310 on: August 23, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
Here's the third batch of Second chances chapters. Strangely enough, most of what happens in both timelines can be summed up as "The situation could only stay hidden from Onni for so long".

Second chances: Chapter 3
Second chances: Chapter 4

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3311 on: August 23, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 15

Onni hated this machine.

Onni hated the machine.

Onni hated the machine.

Onni hated the machine.

I like that a lot! I'm not surprised the kitties went skittering. None of mine even stay around long enough to wonder what the ungodly whine of the vac is!
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #3312 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/11891751

I wrote a thing for syns and actually managed to finish it in time this week!  I'm actually quite happy with this one (including that final detail I'm unreasonably proud of that) and I hope you all enjoy it as well!
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3313 on: August 25, 2017, 04:39:05 AM »
Hi everyone, I usually don't tend to post here when I finish a piece of writing, but "Onni, he hates our food!" has finally, after like almost a year I think, gained its last chapter and is finished now!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/8326516/chapters/26889948
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3314 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I usually don't tend to post here when I finish a piece of writing, but "Onni, he hates our food!" has finally, after like almost a year I think, gained its last chapter and is finished now!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/8326516/chapters/26889948
*scratches head in bewilderment* But, nobody ever told Onni that anyone hated the food?  I jest, I get the reference although I haven't seen the movie.  I left comments on the last chapter, but I congratulate you again on finishing the story, and in a second language, no less!