Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 768608 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3540 on: February 01, 2018, 10:10:09 PM »
The Index is updated.

C'mon, people, write more! ...I would say, but I can't exactly talk.

I've got some unrevealed works in exchanges.  ssshhhhh...
My next story for the Alphabet Challenge has lots of work on it, but I may scrap most of it to dial it back - it's grown like Topsy into a whole worldbuilding exercise, and I want to keep these stories to between 1.5-3K words each.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3541 on: February 04, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
The link thingie isn't working for me at present (not much is), but this is a notification that I have a new piece up on Archive of Our Own, the poem I made for Origami Owl for the Secret Santa last year. Five years after present story time, the crew makes it to Tasmania.

I'm Tanist over there.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3542 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
*Trying to figure out what looks the most depleted between my almost empty toothpaste tube or the amount of canon this fic has left to draw from now that this chapter is written*

Broken Bridges: Chapter 16
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3543 on: February 22, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
So I wrote a kinda sad thing that I'm not 100% happy with (although after a read-through I'm happier with it than I was initially) and well I thiiiiink it's rated T for Teen audiences but as usually yell at me if I'm wrong so I can delete it!

Title: I want to sleep forever
Summary: Emil didn't mean it like that. But... maybe he did. A little.
Warnings uuuh... sadness? Longing for death? Why are warnings so hard?

Spoiler: show
   ”I want to sleep forever.”
   ”But... you have to keep going. You promised you would.”
   My gaze locked to the ceiling. I hadn't meant it like that, not this time. My body was exhausted, my mind was exhausted. But sleeping forever, finally releasing myself from the chains of the past, never again waking up to the loneliness that had formed my life, that had forever followed me... I wanted that. I wanted that more than I could allow myself to admit. Especially now that not only my own life rested in my hands.
   Eternal sleep. Freedom. It rang nicely in my ears, but resonated sadly in my soul. Could he see it? His eyes rested at me and I had always been an open book. Easy to read and figure out for everyone except my father.
   I want to sleep forever.
   I hadn't meant it like that, but I wanted to. I had wanted it longer than I cared to admit. Far before this expedition, far before my time in the cleansers, my experiences in public school, before the fire, before my father started forgetting my birthdays. How young had I been when it started? I couldn't remember any longer. But there was always something that kept me going, kept me waking up. Another sunrise I didn't wish for.
   We are friends, right?
   I couldn't ask him.
   It's what keeps me going now. You. Me. Friendship.
   What if he said no? Admitted to disliking me, just as so many others did. Could I handle that? Right now? In this exhausted state? Would knowing he hated me help keep me awake, help make me not fall asleep? Help me keep struggling? I couldn't look at him. It wouldn't, I knew myself well enough. I wouldn't stop caring for him, wouldn't stop want to save him, but it'd be harder.
   His eyes were still locked on me, waiting for an answer. How long had I been lost in thoughts? Me eyes closed, forced my mind to stop wandering.
   ”Yes.”
   I had given my promise. I'd get us both to the extraction point. Alive.
   What would happen to you if I died?
   Another question I couldn't ask. I pulled a hand through my hair, scratched my neck. I still couldn't meet his eyes. What if he could see what thoughts I harboured behind my eyes and the smile I usually tried to wear?
   ”Sorry, I didn't mean I'm about to give up.”
   It wasn't a lie. No matter how much I wanted to I couldn't give up. Not yet. Not while he was still depending on me. Maybe when he got back to his body, maybe when we were back to safety. Maybe, but I knew something else would keep me waking up.
   ”I'm just exhausted.”
   Even more than I had ever been before. All of me was exhausted. My mind, but it had always been, and my body. I opened my eyes again, stared at the ceiling, avoided looking at him.
   ”I need to rest my eyes.”
   I was so tired. Dragging the two of us through Denmark, almost becoming troll-food again, learning that everything I knew about magic and gods was wrong and still trying to be hopeful, trying to be happy, trying to be the one everyone had always known me as... My energy reserves were running low. Just a little longer, I had to keep it up just a little longer.
   What happens when we die?
   Not yet, I wouldn't find out yet. I had to keep going until we reached the extraction point. My eyes closed once more.
   ”Just a little...”
   Sleep grabbed me, forced me away from him and I welcomed it. In the morning. Everything would look brighter in the morning. And I'd be able to act like I didn't want to sleep forever again.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

« Reply #3544 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
Already commented on A3O, but will say here also: I like the way you hint at Emil's sad past, and your writing continues to improve.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3545 on: February 24, 2018, 03:36:36 PM »
Another entry for the SSSS Alphabet Soup, a story that posits that Jews still exist in the Known World, and converge on Mora for the High Holy Days.  I've intersected Onni's arc as well.  Please enjoy Yom Kippur.
The story was originally inspired by an episode of the old TV show 'Northern Exposure,' where the main character needs to get a minyan (10 adult Jews) together any which way he can, but it didn't actually end up anything like that story.  *shrugs*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:19:14 PM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3546 on: February 24, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
I've been needing to work on my last thesis article lately, but since I tend to at least take one day off a week to keep myself from being overwhelmed, I manged to produce this. People who have yet to recover from Tuuri's death, steer clear.

For the greater good

Talking about Tuuri's death, I think I finally figured out what I'm going to do for the third installment of a certain AU.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:22:11 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #3547 on: February 24, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
Another entry for the SSSS Alphabet Soup, a story that posits that Jews still exist in the Known World, and converge on Mora for the High Holy Days.  I've intersected Onni's arc as well.  Please enjoy Yom Kippur.
The story was originally inspired by an episode of the old TV show 'Northern Exposure,' where the main character needs to get a minyan (10 adult Jews) together any which way he can, but it didn't actually end up anything like that story.  *shrugs*
The link doesn't work for me. I loved Northern Exposure and remember that episode. I really want to read your story.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3548 on: February 24, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
The link doesn't work for me. I loved Northern Exposure and remember that episode. I really want to read your story.

Drat, I fixed it.  I forget where to put quotes and where not to sometimes.
That episode was touching, in that (for those of you who don't know it) in the end, the main character decided that his minyan was his community, the real community he lived in.  But that isn't my story, for better or for worse.  I do have a version of 'Uncle Manny's coat', though, a tallis/prayer shawl.

Róisín

« Reply #3549 on: February 26, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
New/old  piece in the Archive of Our Own. Back in early 2016, I wrote this for a SSSS fic exchange, in response to LooNEY DAC's prompt of 'A thousand years from the onset of the Rash Illness'. As I am reconstructing what can be reconstructed in the wake of my Pages crash, it occurred to me that I had never put this one up on A3O, also that there were a few more chapters I had never posted at all. I'll keep putting bits up.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3550 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Just a heads-up for all assembled: I am attempting to take over the All-encompassing Fan-Fiction Index from Lazy8, but I am not likely to get that updated on 1 March this time out, as I am still working with Lazy8 on learning the procedure (in between big dump of RL & a dying home laptop! meep).
Thank you for your patience.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3551 on: March 11, 2018, 03:22:09 AM »
Kallasar of the Iron Tiger Chapter 29 and Chapter 30 are now up. Chapter 31 is being worked on, it's either going to be a Reynir chapter or a Viserys chapter....considering I have more of the reynir chapter done, probably the first.

If there was ever a time for feedback it's going to be the next couple of chapters since I'm flying solo more or less.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3552 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Kallasar of the Iron Tiger Chapter 29 and Chapter 30 are now up. Chapter 31 is being worked on, it's either going to be a Reynir chapter or a Viserys chapter....considering I have more of the reynir chapter done, probably the first.

If there was ever a time for feedback it's going to be the next couple of chapters since I'm flying solo more or less.
I can empathise with how hard it can be to keep the impetus going on a long work like this!

beergood

« Reply #3553 on: March 18, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
Gods help me, I had to do this.

The Tale Of The Wheelbarrow That Thought "The Hell With This" (Barry the Wheelbarrow/The Cat-tank)

Barry the Wheelbarrow finally has enough of the abuse the crew heap on him, and decides to go on an adventure of his own. If he happens to rescue the Cat-tank along the way, well, all the better.
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #3554 on: March 18, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
...Slides in here because I finally updated my Sigrun/Mikkel fic, a year and a half later time to wait another like 6 months until i finally have time to write again

Find it here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/6371965/chapters/32261295
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man