Author Topic: Character Development: Emil  (Read 43988 times)

Annie

Re: Character Development: Emil
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
Well, that whatever caused the loss of wealth affected the entire family as far as we know it - read, the married couple Siv and Torbjörn and their kids on one hand, and Emil on the other - is all but said out loud in the comic. And considering that the legalese in our day and age doesn't allow clan liability makes the actual events ever more mysterious.

One likely possibility is that Torbjörn's parents/Emil's grandparents were the source of the family fortune, the children and grandchildren were having their lifestyles funded, and  their forays into academia were reminiscent of the dolts who get into and cruise though a prestigious university with barely passing grades because Daddy or Grandmommy donated a building.

I got the impression that Emil's tutors were probably encouraged to make him feel like a 'natural' more than actually apply academic rigor, and I suspect Torbjörn wasn't exactly an advanced scholar given that his post-bankruptcy job didn't look like all that much. I got the feeling that putting in a full day's work and being held accountable for it was something that he was finding to be an unpleasant and very new reality.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:50:07 PM by Annie »
Winner of the Signe Sorensen Excellence in Customer Service Award

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
One likely possibility is that Torbjörn's parents/Emil's grandparents were the source of the family fortune, the children and grandchildren were having their lifestyles funded
The most probable explanation, I'ld say. However, note that Emil was born (and IIUC still lives) in Östersund, a settlement of 750 souls. If that's not where his rich grandparents live(d) as well, why would a filthy rich Västerström make that his home? And if it was/is, wouldn't Emil have eventually moved to near cleansers HQ in Mora when the family mansion was undubitably taken from them? I don't quite see Emil and his parents being entirely living off an apanage 'til that crashed.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
I suspect Torbjörn wasn't exactly an advanced scholar given that his post-bankruptcy job didn't look like all that much. I got the feeling that putting in a full day's work and being held accountable for it was something that he was finding to be an unpleasant and very new reality.
This certainly puts a new spin on the marriage dynamics between him and Siv. We don't know if they got married before or after the money vanished, but if it was before, imagine her disappointment. I imagine she makes more money than her husband, also - since he is just a skald and she seems to be at least somewhat-better paid as a medical researcher.

But back to Emil, I had a question and didn't really want to make a whole new thread for it... Namely, about his outfit before they get their official uniforms. When they all meet at the dock in Chapter 1 you can see that Tuuri and Lalli and Onni all wear the same kind of coat - as does Taru, which makes sense since it's probably standard-issue by the Finnish Army. However, if you look closely, Emil's jacket is nearly identical. It's possible that all of the Known World's military powers have the same tailor, but it seems a bit odd.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Annie

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 07:12:03 AM »
It's possible that all of the Known World's military powers have the same tailor, but it seems a bit odd.

If there's anything like mass production left, it would actually make some degree of sense that military-grade parkas (or whatever the proper term is for that sort of coat) might all be made in the same location. I would imagine that Finland, scattered as its settlements are, would probably be very dependent on the other Nordic countries for many of its manufactured goods.

This certainly puts a new spin on the marriage dynamics between him and Siv. We don't know if they got married before or after the money vanished, but if it was before, imagine her disappointment.

That might explain some of her Debbie Downer attitude. I did notice that she's a bit mournful about the house being one of the last nice things they have, so she probably did have some time to get accustomed to a cushy lifestyle before it all fell apart.
Winner of the Signe Sorensen Excellence in Customer Service Award

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
Some Word of God on Emil, from Page 190 (where he was panicking over the damage to his precious face):

Ceceoh
Wow, Emil must have been one coordinated little kid. If I didn't have a bruise or scratch on me on a weekly basis, I obviously didn't have enough fun.

minnasundberg Mod 
Let's just say Emil wasn't a very... active kid. Or teenager. You know what, this is probably the most active he has been ever. :I
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
Off on a tangent about the "Hair Dresser Salon" game...
Do you think that HDS could actually be Emil giving the children their haircuts because the Västerströms can no longer afford to go to a real fancy salon anymore...?
Probably unlikely, but Emil does seem to have a passion for hair, and Törbjorn has a passion for saving money ;P
The idea just randomly popped into my head yesterday when I was rebelliously trimming my own hair instead of paying $80 to get it done professionally, and jokingly thought "Hey! It's Hair Dresser Salon!" Then wondered how the Team would manage their hair on the expedition, and who would manage it, and I just thought Emil might be a candidate....unless his bad luck transfers into his hair dressing. That would be a disaster! X'D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 10:35:26 PM »
Huh. That is, actually, a possibility. I can just see little Emil, trying to tell whoever's cutting his hair OMG, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG LET ME SHOW YOU, BUT ON YOUR HEAD. Alternately, I can imagine the...interesting cuts that could come with his first few attempts at being King Haircutter. XD

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Huh. That is, actually, a possibility. I can just see little Emil, trying to tell whoever's cutting his hair OMG, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG LET ME SHOW YOU, BUT ON YOUR HEAD. Alternately, I can imagine the...interesting cuts that could come with his first few attempts at being King Haircutter. XD
Hehehe probably there'd be lots of screaming. From both the victim customer and also from Emil.
I'm really glad that they don't seem to have heated straighteners and curlers and maybe even hair dryers in SSSS.....because those + Emil....my gosh. O___O

All the Team's hair do's are pretty low maintenance, except maybe Tuuri's, depending how often she wants it trimmed back, and I doubt she could do it herself- I'd be waaaay to scared to try cutting the hair on the back of my head where I can't see! So maybe she'll get someone to help out. I don't think the others would let Emil near their hair with a sharp object though..... So maybe Emil's fabulous 'do is destined to be alone for a while...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 02:04:29 AM »
It might turn out kind of like when Calvin let Hobbes cut his hair:

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Yannick

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
You yhink Emil would let anyone cut his precious hair?
No, I am sure he cut them himself, with 3 or 4 mirrors.
But I can imagine him cutting the hairs of the others.
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:45 AM »
Some thoughts from the Disqus page re: Emil's reappearance on p. 214, where he's soothing Lalli after his "nightmare":

Betty Adams
For all of his awkward, brash pride Emil has proven to A) be good with children and B) seems to genuinely care even for people he suspects of not thinking too highly of him (Lalli) And it is too adorable watching him comfort Lalli when the nightmares come. :)

Aggeliki 
I think Emil is a very, very good person. I was sure he'd explode with anger when Lalli stole his sandwich, but he reacted as nicely as it was possible!

Euodiachloris 
Yeah: mostly, his jerktastic nature is down to horrendously indulgent parenting rather than anything innate, imo. He's usually not aware just how annoying he can be... because he's always been told how awesome everything he does is (even the epic fails). <_<

Eich 
He seems rather empathetic, once he slows down to consider other people. He also doesn't seem as selfish as I first thought.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:17:59 PM by Sunflower »

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »
Well, up till now, the only cases when he has been angered by something is when he feels he has been wronged or tricked.
Like when he thought his teachers were giving him low grades for no reason, and when he thought his uncle and aunt had neglected to meet with him. And when he was suspicious that he wouldn't get a fair share of book-money.

Coupled with his panic wherever he fails to make a good impression, my guess is that he is rather insecure (of course he KNOWS that he's awesome, but he has to make sure that OTHERS know it as well)
Fluent:
OK:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
Betty Adams • 2 days ago
For all of his awkward, brash pride Emil has proven to A) be good with children and B) seems to genuinely care even for people he suspects of not thinking too highly of him (Lalli) And it is too adorable watching him comfort Lalli when the nightmares come. :)

That seems pretty typical teenage-boy behavior to me, honestly, where even though you care about people you can't show it because that's considered "unmanly", hence the constant insistence on how amazing and awesome he is - it's covering up a lot of awkward insecurity; So he puts on the "amazing hero" act in front of people he doesn't know terribly well - like Tuuri and Sigrun, but he and Lalli have been through things, so maybe he feels like he can let his guard down around him a bit.

And yes, I know that 19 is almost too old for this, but as Tuuri mentioned, Emil seems to have led a bit of a sheltered existence (staying in school far longer than most people), thus prolonging his adolescence somewhat.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Well, up till now, the only cases when he has been angered by something is when he feels he has been wronged or tricked.
Like when he thought his teachers were giving him low grades for no reason, and when he thought his uncle and aunt had neglected to meet with him. And when he was suspicious that he wouldn't get a fair share of book-money.

Coupled with his panic wherever he fails to make a good impression, my guess is that he is rather insecure (of course he KNOWS that he's awesome, but he has to make sure that OTHERS know it as well)

Mmmhmm, and well--one of Emil's defining traits to me is his insecurity. It seems to be fading into the background as he gets to know Tuuri and Lalli and feel more comfortable around them, but it seems to me that earlier on (before the train scene, roughly) practically everything we saw of Emil was him feeling insecure and acting out to make up for it. Boasting, putting on airs (have you noticed that his style of speech has simplified somewhat over time, becoming less overeducated-prissiness and more straightforward? particularly with Tuuri, whom he seems to have stopped trying to impress as they become closer), panicking about making good first impressions, "freaking out in the bathroom over nothing" to use Minna's words, panicking over breaking the rearview mirror...

Honestly, I tend to think of Emil as somebody whose compass isn't pointing north: reality just doesn't match up to his perceptions. Through no fault of his own. *casts a glance at his parents* And his insecurity says to me that, despite all his bluster, he's aware of that--and doesn't quite know what to do about it. But dude, he's only 19, he's got time to figure it out. And let me point out a few of the things a kid in his situation could've been:

• manipulative--many spoiled children are, because that's what their parents respond to consistently
  • in denial about his abilities and aggressive/angry/hurtful toward anyone who tried to set him straight
  • pathologically mistrustful of others, particularly of praise or compliments
  • deeply depressed: look at what an impostor he is, how could he have been so stupid? etc.
  • directionless: the one thing he thought he was good at turns out to be a lie just as the rest of his life and livelihood falls completely apart, so now what?

He is... none of those things, as far as we can see. Instead he's open and friendly (for all the Emil/Lalli shipping, he and Tuuri also seem to be becoming fast friends); he's compassionate, even towards people who are strange or confusing or hard to understand (Lalli, anybody?); he can take criticism and adjustment without getting angry (check out his first scene with his aunt and uncle again); he's willing to go outside of his comfort zone and take risks to improve his life (both joining the military--a bold step to be sure--and going on this expedition); and he's found something to do that's useful to the world, where he can easily see the work he has done and measure it himself instead of trusting to someone else's word, something he clearly enjoys and thus is probably quite good at.

And that's remarkable. I think we can forgive him some anxiety and bluster. ;)

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
Most of his "Jerk" attitude might be "This is what people percieve as cool and in control right?" instead of just insecurity.

Well, not might be, Is. I know ive been in those shoes before.

Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....