Author Topic: Character Development: Emil  (Read 43716 times)

RaeSeddon

Re: Character Development: Emil
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »
And there's a part of me that wonders how Emil has rationalized what his aunt and uncle are doing-- I don't doubt that he loves them but it must be a very complex sort of love, given that they are the reason he had to join the military in the first place.  For as dangerous as most of the world knows The Silent World is, I have a hard time believing he was thrilled when they told him what they were putting his college fund towards.

Though as of the first troll/monster attack, we know that at the very least Emil believes in what the military stands for-- for god's sake he threw himself over Lalli to protect him. That's not an instinct that comes out of nowhere, and depending on your personal outlook, it's not really an instinct that can be trained into someone either.  I wonder if some part of Emil is terrified of anyone getting hurt or killed because really when it comes down to it, this wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for Torbjorn and Siv. They are the masterminds and the least Emil can do is use what he's learned to make sure his family doesn't end up with blood on their hands because of it.

Annie

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
The one thing I've always wondered about is yes, Emil has a great relationship with his younger cousins, but his relationship with Torbjorn and Siv must be really interesting, since from all I can tell they're the ones responsible for bankrupting the family financing this little venture-- or at the very least bankrupting him by defunding his fancy, private education.

I thought that the expedition was thought up as a way to get back the money the Vasterstom family had lost. Torbjorn didn't get the idea until circumstances "reduced" him to working as a scribe. Also, the financing came from the Nordic Council.

Excellent point about Emil's reaction to protect Lalli being a trained one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:58:38 PM by Annie »
Winner of the Signe Sorensen Excellence in Customer Service Award

RaeSeddon

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Ahhh yes "After we were forced into our financial... misfortunes" (page 137, panel 1) -- still though, my point stands that it was greed and disillusionment that drove Torbjorn and Siv to use what they had left to put together this little expedition in the first place-- and let's not forget that the money making bit is pretty much illegal the way they're trying to do it, since it's been established that the Swedes, at least officially aren't as concerned about preserving what they can of the old world as much as they are interested in burning it all and starting anew. The Danes are probably a huge example as to why reaching too far into the past isn't worth the cost.

Also my point about Emil's protectiveness was that it wasn't trained but that it was probably always there to some degree. There had to be something other than the Big Booms that made Emil choose the Cleaners as his military path. He was proud of how safe Mora was and I'm sure part of that pride came from his own work and not just arrogance.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
still though, my point stands that it was greed and disillusionment that drove Torbjorn and Siv to use what they had left to put together this little expedition in the first place-- and let's not forget that the money making bit is pretty much illegal the way they're trying to do it, since it's been established that the Swedes, at least officially aren't as concerned about preserving what they can of the old world as much as they are interested in burning it all and starting anew.
a) I'm still not convinced that Emil has any claim onto Sivs and Torbjörns (erm) wealth, much less authority to tell them not to spend it on whatever they like. They know each other well, as Emil was a guest in their house during his academic (erm) career, but no relation beyond that and bloodline has been established. Not even of the "met at infrequent clan get-togethers" kind.

b) I can list a great many things that the society around me is indifferent about, or would even frown at, but nonetheless aren't outright illegal. I guess that it would be technically illegal for the Quartet to make money off a government-funded expedition, hence the hush-hush, but da guvmint ain't necessarily setting the moral standards for Joe Sixpack.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RaeSeddon

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
I just always assumed that the "financial misfortune"  applied to the entire family, since when wealthy families go bankrupt like that it tends to be a domino effect depending on how tight-knit the family is. That's why I originally postulated that whatever happened to make them loss all that money was at at most directly or at least indirectly related to why Emil couldn't pay for school. When we first meet them, Torbjorn say "we're" poor now" -- I took that we to mean him and the rest of the immediate family (brothers, sisters, nephews et al.)

JoB

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
I just always assumed that the "financial misfortune"  applied to the entire family, since when wealthy families go bankrupt like that it tends to be a domino effect depending on how tight-knit the family is. That's why I originally postulated that whatever happened to make them loss all that money was at at most directly or at least indirectly related to why Emil couldn't pay for school. When we first meet them, Torbjorn say "we're" poor now" -- I took that we to mean him and the rest of the immediate family (brothers, sisters, nephews et al.)
Well, that whatever caused the loss of wealth affected the entire family as far as we know it - read, the married couple Siv and Torbjörn and their kids on one hand, and Emil on the other - is all but said out loud in the comic. And considering that the legalese in our day and age doesn't allow clan liability makes the actual events ever more mysterious. Nonetheless, Siv calls the house in Mora "the only nice thing we still possess", while Emil's official residence is still someplace else, even though he already lived in the Mora house at one point. Also, no hint whatsoever that one side ever even tried to influence the other's ways of making a living (a.k.a. "get a real payin' job ferchrissakes"). Hence my impression that even though a single event made them all poor, they do not consider themselves joint households (as our IRS would call it).
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Annie

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Also my point about Emil's protectiveness was that it wasn't trained but that it was probably always there to some degree.

Argh! I left out a "not." Sorry. I do think that many (not all) of Emil's flaws are due to his upbringing.
Winner of the Signe Sorensen Excellence in Customer Service Award

RaeSeddon

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Well, that whatever caused the loss of wealth affected the entire family as far as we know it - read, the married couple Siv and Torbjörn and their kids on one hand, and Emil on the other - is all but said out loud in the comic. And considering that the legalese in our day and age doesn't allow clan liability makes the actual events ever more mysterious. Nonetheless, Siv calls the house in Mora "the only nice thing we still possess", while Emil's official residence is still someplace else, even though he already lived in the Mora house at one point. Also, no hint whatsoever that one side ever even tried to influence the other's ways of making a living (a.k.a. "get a real payin' job ferchrissakes"). Hence my impression that even though a single event made them all poor, they do not consider themselves joint households (as our IRS would call it).

This just makes me want a reveal somewhere down the line of what exactly happened to the Vasterstrom fortune, and if it really was as much of a fortunate as they let on. I know it's pretty much all adventure from here on out in the comic, but now I'm just curious about how the post-cataclysmic Swedish economy actually works. Was it old wealth the Vasterstroms relied on (passed down through generations), was it some type of business venture that had been stable until some unforseen misfortune?  Hop to it Minna, nit-picking minds want to know. :P (jk Minna we love you.<3 )

JoB

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
This just makes me want a reveal somewhere down the line of what exactly happened to the Vasterstrom fortune
* gasp * Plot development? Perish the thought! ::)
now I'm just curious about how the post-cataclysmic Swedish economy actually works. Was it old wealth the Vasterstroms relied on (passed down through generations), was it some type of business venture that had been stable until some unforseen misfortune?
In the prologue, the Västerström family was fitted into a car and fleeing to a "cabin", which doesn't suggest that they had considerable possessions anywhere within the forming safe areas. Chances are that news junkie Stig ran an early predecessor of Torbjörns explorer expedition ... or Ulfs talent for sports bets suddenly did touch the jackpots, once the apocalypse did some radical simplifications on the leagues. ;D

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
In fact he seems to be more fit than his two current companions.

Except when it comes to running. When Lalli ran to stop the train he arrived completely un-puffed, but Emil, running more slowly, had to sit down to recover his breath!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
I'm not so sure the "very unfortunate events" that lead to the Västerström family wealts dissappearing were the fault of Siv or Torbjörn. I have this feeling it was actually caused by Emil himself, why else would he be so very concerned about what the info sheet said about him (page 133)?

BabaYaga

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
I'm not so sure the "very unfortunate events" that lead to the Västerström family wealts dissappearing were the fault of Siv or Torbjörn. I have this feeling it was actually caused by Emil himself, why else would he be so very concerned about what the info sheet said about him (page 133)?

Oh, I like this idea, it could set up a nice redemption path for him, but I think the reason Emil was so anxious to find out what was written about him is because, well, he's Emil. He freaked out about discovering an unsuspected stain on his shirt, he had to make sure he doesn't have an unsuspected stain in his file.

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
And Emil was way too young to couse such massive financial troubles, I think
majavanainen

JoB

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
why else would he be so very concerned about what the info sheet said about him
Ummmh, nah. My impression is that if he suspected his file listing that caliber of a blemish, he'ld want Tuuri not to read it, ever.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
... but I think the reason Emil was so anxious to find out what was written about him is because, well, he's Emil. He freaked out about discovering an unsuspected stain on his shirt, he had to make sure he doesn't have an unsuspected stain in his file.
Ummmh, nah. My impression is that if he suspected his file listing that caliber of a blemish, he'ld want Tuuri not to read it, ever.

Good points, hadn't thought of that.