Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136868 times)

videovance

Re: Improvements
« Reply #495 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »
I suggest "non-binary", although "other" works well enough. "neither" doesn't really fit because there are some people who are literally both
I personally vote for "other", but "non-binary" is good ;w; (Definitely not "neither", like Haiz said. That would only work for agender people, I think?)

(Regardless of how things get sorted out, I can offer making a Preferred pronouns field, that's just a few clicks. ;) )
1) Thank you so much for looking into it!
2) A preferred pronouns field would be absolutely AMAZING ;W;

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #496 on: September 17, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
Wellll. I've looked a bit into this, and at first sight, the Gender field – being a standard profile field – looks somewhat/pretty much/greatly (further investigation is needed to determine amount) tangled into SMF's inner workings. Sadly that means that adding that third option requires us to find a mod that adds this feature, or modify SMF source files ourselves.
By fumbling around, I've managed to find about 2-3 places in the code that possibly need to be slightly changed, and I'm far from sure that doing that would do the trick without wrecking anything, sooo I'll need to test things and mess around more and so on.
And even if I found a solution, the very act of messing around this much under the hood is slightly risky, so I'm not sure it'd get put in after all. Probably we'll talk about this and then notify you all when we come to a solution/conclusion. :)

(Regardless of how things get sorted out, I can offer making a Preferred pronouns field, that's just a few clicks. ;) )

Thank you so much for looking into this! I would really appreciate a preferred pronouns field. That would make things so official-feeling and I'd be ridiculously grateful :w;;

What specifically should that third gender option say?  "Other"? "Neither"?  I realize those might sound kind of dismissive or blah, but "Gender-neutral" might be a bit long.  Also, given the tiny bit I've learned about gender issues, "gender-*neutral*" might not be the right term if some people think of their gender not as *neither* female nor male, but *both* -- or some other third option, I suppose. 

Nonbinary/other would encompass pretty much any other genders out there :0
YEET

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #497 on: September 18, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
If that's so much easier, how about nailing down the existing gender selector to "unset" (just somehow suppress the other two values for selection in the editing <FORM>) and introducing an entirely new "gender" field?

(Can't say that I ever noticed my selection having an effect anywhere but in the editing window, but then again, there's a bunch of features I don't use ... ?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
If that's so much easier, how about nailing down the existing gender selector to "unset" (just somehow suppress the other two values for selection in the editing <FORM>) and introducing an entirely new "gender" field?

(Can't say that I ever noticed my selection having an effect anywhere but in the editing window, but then again, there's a bunch of features I don't use ... ?)

Ohhh.  There's an interesting idea!  Eich, Eri, Hush... any idea if that might work?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #499 on: September 18, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

I have thought of that, it's fully doable. The drawback is that the "real" Gender field is indeed hooked up to things across SMF, for example the Female-to-Male ratio thing in Stats. Those things may not work if I deactivate that field.

Also, I'm getting closer to untangling this thing, so we'll probably be able to solve it both ways. :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #500 on: September 20, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »
Got reminded by Auleliel for the umpteenth time that there should be buttons for the Unread posts and Unread replies functions on mobile as well, except this time I've actually done it. ::)

Apologies for taking this long!
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #501 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
Got reminded by Auleliel for the umpteenth time that there should be buttons for the Unread posts and Unread replies functions on mobile as well, except this time I've actually done it. ::)

*tackle hugs* THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I'm totally not addicted totally not hahahaha
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #502 on: September 20, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »

Yayyy, thank you! It's kind of what had been bugging me most about using the new theme :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #503 on: September 22, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »
Congrats to the recently promoted!! \o/ This thread really needs a confetti button ;)

Ohhhh Eriaror...  If Forum-Thor approves, can you bestow this gift on the Promotion Celebrations thread? Pretty please?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:26:55 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #504 on: September 25, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
Because I'm lazy to do actual important stuff, I'm fixing little annoyances I stumble upon. Today, message icons. :D
  • Changed the Idea/light bulb icon: (Old one: )
  • Changed the Thumbs up and Thumbs down icons: / (Old ones: /
  • Added an Information icon:
  • And added a painting icon for all the artsy threads:
PS.: We probably won't have much more message icons than these, I only want to add ones that the forum's really lacking.
P.PS.: I'm not fully satisfied with my icon making skills, so feel free to submit improved versions... ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:24:24 PM by Eriaror »

theamynator

« Reply #505 on: September 29, 2015, 02:08:14 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can anyone tell me how to change my username? The username I log in with, I mean. It's different from my screen name and I keep forgetting what it is. :-\

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can anyone tell me how to change my username? The username I log in with, I mean. It's different from my screen name and I keep forgetting what it is. :-\

If smf is anything like most other forum templates you'll need an admin (Eich, hush or Eriaror) to change that for you.

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #507 on: October 08, 2015, 08:02:46 AM »
Really not a pressing issue but... will there be a Swiss flag emoticon thing? Please? Would be really nice to have it ^^'
*stuffs national pride back into the box of shame*
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:19:36 AM by Aki »
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #508 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
Really not a pressing issue but... will there be a Swiss flag emoticon thing? Please? Would be really nice to have it ^^'
*stuffs national pride back into the box of shame*
Swiss flag is up! :) Code is :switzerland:
:switzerland: :switzerland: :switzerland:

Don't be afraid to request flags, only laziness prevents me from adding all two hundred something of them... ;)

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #509 on: October 08, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
Swiss flag is up! :) Code is :switzerland:
:switzerland: :switzerland: :switzerland:

Don't be afraid to request flags, only laziness prevents me from adding all two hundred something of them... ;)

I LOVE YOU <3 :switzerland: YOU EVEN MADE IT SQUARE LIKE ASDFGHJKJHG THANK YOU <3 :switzerland: <3 :switzerland: <3 :switzerland:
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: