Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136826 times)

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
Re: Improvements
« Reply #450 on: August 06, 2015, 05:34:30 AM »
Hi, hello! Just stopping by to say that if we could ever get the mobile version to display the little catch phrases that usually appear under the avatars on computer servers, that would be something that I've just kind of been missing on the mobile version. In no hurry here, so I would just like to know, would this be something we might fix in the future?

EDIT: also it doesn't show our number of posts and the title we receive for that number of posts.

And unrelated to improvements, but something I've been wondering about: what exactly do the timestamps mean on our posts?
Because I've posted something and then checked the time posted on the thread, and it does not match the time that is displayed on my clock on my computer, my phone, or my alarm clock in my house. Is it displaying the time that would be shown if I was on nuclear time?

ie. For this post it says I last edited it at 06:12:03, but right now it's 3:13 AM in my time zone, so what does that mean?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:14:21 AM by Trinka »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #451 on: August 06, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »
Hey is there a way we can get the new messages icon to appear on the mobile version? Because that's a really handy tool that we have available to us when we use computer servers. It's happened to me before, where I've been on a spree using only my phone to check the forum for a week, happened to pop on to a computer, and find that I have a new message notification waiting for me that I haven't responded to in more than a week. It would be very handy if we could make that something that's available on the mobile version.
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #452 on: August 06, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »
I believe the timestamps show the server's timezone by default. You can set it to your one in Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout.

The user titles and the stars are just hidden on the mobile version. SMF devs thought that that's not a crucial piece of information, so they hid it to make the user part of posts on mobile a bit smaller. They are really easy for me to unhide though, if the consensus is that they're required. :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #453 on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »
If it's not too difficult, could there please be a way to see "unread posts" and "new replies to posts" on the mobile version?
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #454 on: August 06, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
If it's not too difficult, could there please be a way to see "unread posts" and "new replies to posts" on the mobile version?
I've found a way for unread posts at least:
  • Click the "home" button (shaped like a house, unsurprisingly) on the dashboard at the top just below the title.
  • It'll show you the forum main board- on the title screen (which says "Topics"), to the right by the minimise button, is another title that says "Unread Posts".
  • Click it, it'll take you to the normal unread posts section.
I know it's a bit contrived, but it's the only way I've found so far.
Alternatively, save the URL of the unread posts page as a bookmark.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #455 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »
I've found a way for unread posts at least:
  • Click the "home" button (shaped like a house, unsurprisingly) on the dashboard at the top just below the title.
  • It'll show you the forum main board- on the title screen (which says "Topics"), to the right by the minimise button, is another title that says "Unread Posts".
  • Click it, it'll take you to the normal unread posts section.
I know it's a bit contrived, but it's the only way I've found so far.
Alternatively, save the URL of the unread posts page as a bookmark.
I only see the home button, not a minimize button or unread posts. All of my clickable options are icons.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #456 on: August 06, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
I only see the home button, not a minimize button or unread posts. All of my clickable options are icons.
Yeah, when you press the home button you should see the forum main board, showing you all the subforums?
On the top right of that main board, there's a title that says "Unread Posts". It's a link to that page.
Otherwise, the URLs for unread posts and replies are:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?action=unread
and
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2015, 02:20:41 AM »
Hey, sorry if you guys are already working on this, or have too much on your plate to get around to this yet, but I was wondering if the Malaysian flag was going to be put up soon? No rush, of course! I just thought it might have been forgotten, or buried beneath the mountains of requests.  :)
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
Yeah, when you press the home button you should see the forum main board, showing you all the subforums?
On the top right of that main board, there's a title that says "Unread Posts". It's a link to that page.
Otherwise, the URLs for unread posts and replies are:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?action=unread
and
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies
It only shows up like that on my computer, not on my phone. Thanks for the links. I guess a bookmark's better than nothing.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #459 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:51 AM »
Hm, it looks like Eich didn't give a notice, but Malaysian flag is up! :)
:malaysia: :malaysia: :malaysia:
Code is :malaysia:

I also gave in to the temptation and replaced the Spanish flag icon with the one that belongs to the iconset the others are from. So it's fancy now and I'm happy.
:spain: :spain: :spain:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #460 on: August 08, 2015, 05:30:17 AM »
Hm, it looks like Eich didn't give a notice, but Malaysian flag is up! :)
:malaysia: :malaysia: :malaysia:
Code is :malaysia:
Thank you so much! It looks really rad, I'm going to slip it into my signature right away.  :D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #461 on: August 08, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »
Thank you so much! It looks really rad, I'm going to slip it into my signature right away.  :D

Russet, do you think the Malaysian flag is acceptable to use for the Malay language, wherever it's spoken?
I ask because it's also a national language for Indonesia, Singapore, and Brunei.

(We haven't really figured out a good solution for languages that are spoken in multiple countries, or just sections of one, like Catalan.  For Latin, we used the workaround of Vatican City.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #462 on: August 08, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »
Russet, do you think the Malaysian flag is acceptable to use for the Malay language, wherever it's spoken?
I ask because it's also a national language for Indonesia, Singapore, and Brunei.

(We haven't really figured out a good solution for languages that are spoken in multiple countries, or just sections of one, like Catalan.  For Latin, we used the workaround of Vatican City.)

Well, after a little bit of research, I found that the deal with bahasa Indonesia and bahasa Malaysia is like the deal with Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, so I think we can safely say that Indonesian can have its own flag. Singapore has four official languages, none of which are unique to Singapore, so that's out for any language representation, unless people really want it (Tamil is an official language of Sri Lanka). The real question therefore is whether the Malaysian flag should be used for Malay spoken in Malaysia and Brunei. I don't really know the answer to this.

Anyway, is there a flag for the Philippines yet, or no?
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #463 on: August 08, 2015, 11:37:28 PM »
I agree with Dane here, Singaporean has lots of national languages, all of which are represented by other countries (i.e. UK for English because they learn British English, China for Chinese, Malaysian for Malay, etc), so it probably isn't needed unless specifically requested. They learn standard Malay, so there isn't a noticeable difference between Malaysian Malay and Singaporean Malay.

Indonesian and Malaysian are very different languages, they probably have similar roots in language, but I can only understand about 30% of spoken Indonesian since it borrows a lot of words from local languages like Javanese, Sundanese and Minangkabau, so I definitely think there should be a different flag for Indonesia.

On the other hand, Brunei Malay is more like a Malay dialect, so when I hear Brunei Malay it's like.. a Swedish person listening to a Danish person? A lot of the words sound similar so you can understand quite a bit if it's written down or spoken very slowly. There is still a marked difference though, so maybe the Brunei flag should be put on hold until someone from Brunei speaks up on the matter.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:39:20 PM by Russet »

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #464 on: August 28, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Sooo now I don't have to disturb Eich with smiley stuff every time. And that means... smileys!
  • Added the flags of New Zealand and the Philippines, codes are :philippines: and :newzealand: respectively. :philippines: :newzealand: :philippines: :newzealand: :philippines: :newzealand:
  • Added a heart emoji: <3 Code is <3
  • Added the squirrel cookie emoji: :squirrelcookie: Code is :squirrelcookie:
  • I'm also planning to add the SSSS crew themed smileys, but codes need to be decided for those first, I would like to make them more specific than :lalli: :sigrun: etc., to avoid any confusion in case more SSSSmileys of the same character appeared some time in the future.