Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 137101 times)

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
Re: Improvements
« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »
Made the sub-menu font size a bit larger. ;)

Also, I finally got that nasty upper box regulated (hooray!)

Changes will go live as soon as hushpiper makes them live :D
And now I go to SLEEP. Good night, everyone!
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
Made the sub-menu font size a bit larger. ;)

Also, I finally got that nasty upper box regulated (hooray!)

Changes will go live as soon as hushpiper makes them live :D
And now I go to SLEEP. Good night, everyone!

Thanks for making such a beautiful SSSS theme for us!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
Fixed version of the theme is up, and looking awesome! The news box in particular is functioning much better, and the small tweaks are appreciated. I'm thinking I may make a completely different thread to put theme discussion in, so that we can put updates and so on in the first post--I'm not aware of a way to go back and put a new first post in, else I'd just do that--but that will have to wait a bit because sleepiness. ;)

If you're still seeing the malfunctioning news box: You probably still have the old theme version cached in your browser. Do a hard refresh (ctrl+f5 in most browsers), or clear your browser cache (ctrl+shift+delete). As a side note, if you'd rather see the picture at the top right than the news box, click the ^ button to the right to close the box entirely. Click it again to bring it back.

If you aren't seeing the new theme at all: Firstly, do you see the new theme when you aren't logged in? If no, then clear your cache as described above. If yes, you probably have another theme specified in your settings. Go in the menus to Profile > Account Settings > Look and Layout > Current Theme > (change), and select "forum default" or "SSSSLight" from the list.

Thanks again to Eriaror for the excellent work on the theme and for the quick bugfixes--neither Eich nor I could've done anything near this nice on our own!

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »
Thanks again to Eriaror for the excellent work on the theme and for the quick bugfixes-- ...

Hear! Hear!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2015, 05:07:02 AM »
Hum. I have a smaller avatar now but the text is part inside, part underneath... *Look at her Mac keyboard* Bha, it's all right, I like this new theme a lot :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2015, 05:13:56 AM »
yes! yes! yes! this is beautiful!
and has so many new things, like prettiness, and improved searches (including members, and topics) that I'll test soon!
thankyouthankyouthankyou!
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Is there a way to have messages to be shown "in a conversation" but have the conversation over several pages instead of aaaalll at once? Because um I have some very long conversations that are getting very slow to load.... i should probably choose some of the other options but I'm not sure which of them I'm after
you'll know where to find me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #337 on: May 09, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »
I take it that this should actually get replaced by the name of the topic-starting user?

(I'm not sure that this is actually connected to the new theme ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

I changed the theme back to the old one for a moment and yes, it's still there! Though I'm not sure how long that's been showing up... it's possible it's always been there and I just never noticed until you pointed it out
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Fixed version of the theme is up, and looking awesome! The news box in particular is functioning much better, and the

Yes, I approve. It looks pretty good
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2015, 11:11:45 PM »
I take it that this should actually get replaced by the name of the topic-starting user?

I'm pretty sure that that indicates "People in this column are the author of the reply next to their name" rather than "<insert topic author here>".
Am notified of private messages via email.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
My friend suggested making the top navigation bar scroll down with the scroll bar, so it would stay at the top of your window while you're looking at the bottom - I can see how that could be useful, but also how it could be annoying. Thoughts? Has this been suggested before?
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #342 on: May 10, 2015, 12:07:42 AM »
My friend suggested making the top navigation bar scroll down with the scroll bar, so it would stay at the top of your window while you're looking at the bottom - I can see how that could be useful, but also how it could be annoying. Thoughts? Has this been suggested before?

I've been on several websites that have that feature, and personally, I've always found it extraordinarily annoying. There also isn't much in the navigation bar that I personally would find useful to have accessible at all times. A link to the home page is nice, but that is available at the bottom of the page in any case.

Those are only my thoughts, however, and other people might find more use out of it.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2015, 12:24:33 AM »
This new layout is really cute!  That's an impressive amount of work and care.

I could list all the things I like but I want to get to the point, and there is only one thing that's a problem, so I will just say all praises to this excellent new layout, imagine a long list of good things, and also this:

From a graphic design point of view, it's not a good idea to put generic black text over semi-alpha'd background images, even cool sliding ones.  It kills the contrast and makes readability a chore.  I'd wager that even people who don't mind are just being stoic.

If you want to have text areas be semi-transparent, make sure that the actual text is backed by solid white fill somehow.  There are four places where I see the need for that with this design:

- quote boxes
 - the text box I'm typing in now  :/
 - the breadcrumb bar at the top ("The Stand Still, Stay Silent Fan-Forum » Topics » Forum and Website Discussion » etc...")
 - the topmost upper right summary box ("Show unread posts since your last visit," etc)

I don't know how easy this is to fix in this CMS.  But if you really want it to look its best, the text contrast is key.

Thanks again for all your hard work!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:26:47 AM by AmityM »
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »
I LOVE it, it's beautifully designed, and really gives our fandom a nice cover! The forum is no longer without character, it feel like it belongs to Minna! Also, the little news in the upper right hand corner is very useful!  ;D
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat: