Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136914 times)

asadderandawiserman

Re: Improvements
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
Hey! I've just got back from Rome, so I'm able to make an account now. Great idea, this forum, and I'd only expect it to get bigger with the amount of comments SSSS is getting nowadays.

In terms of user titles, I know a lot of people have been thinking of using the various infected creatures as names for the banned, but given that they're one of the only definitive sets of things we've been given in the comic, I thought it could be nice to use them as the regular user titles. Something along the lines of:

Vermin Beast
Beastly Monster
Twisted Troll
Writhing Giant
Nameless Monstrosity

In terms of art for the site, I saw that Minna offered to send Eich some high quality images, but I think we should wait until we decide on a proper name for the site, so we can give it a sort of theme. I have a couple of ideas for names, and I'd love to hear what you peeps think, and any that you can think of.

My first idea for a name is naming the site after the vehicle that the team is apparently going to get fairly soon, which I think will end up being a fairly major meeting point for the main cast, and an appropriate name for a forum.

We could call it The Capital of Scandinavia as a reference to the title that Mora (and modern day Stockholm) has given itself. Also, the comic will be, it seems, entirely set in Scandinavia, so it would be appropriate I think.

Another idea is Reykjavik Inn, since Reykjavik is, after all, the capital of the known world, or The Troll's Nest, which would be particularly appropriate if we decide to go with the troll system of user titles.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
I'm considering making a "Skald" class for certain users...  It would be a decorative title awarded by me or a mod to anyone who's contributed a lot of artistic content to the comments section of Minna's site, the poetry threads, any art threads, or even some kind of musicians' thread that might exist at some point.  What does everybody think about that?

I think that's an excellent idea! There's a good list of contributors to poetry, but regular ones are not too many: five or six, perhaps? Do you already have an idea of who could get that title?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
The current icon for boards (the blue/gray squares) is a bit bland. Maybe we could get someone with graphic design skills to make two transparent png icons resembling the six armed snowflake/star symbol that is used in the comic. We could have a red one for boards that are updated and the usual gray for boards with no new updates.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »
It would be pretty handy if we had some sort of spoiler code. Large images can be hidden that way, and large sections of text if we get into essay mode (which might happen, SSSS has that potential). Not so much useful for actual spoilers (if someone isn't up to date with the comic, why would they be here?), but useful nonetheless.
Looking for a spoiler code again; the last one I found was outdated, and I keep forgetting to continue searching.

Are you accepting nominations for "Skald"?
I think that's an excellent idea! There's a good list of contributors to poetry, but regular ones are not too many: five or six, perhaps? Do you already have an idea of who could get that title?
The four or five who post most consistently, here or in the comments, or have contributed the most.  Thiscat, for instance, started the poetry thread for the SSSS board, and has been filling it up pretty steadily with everybody's work.  Give a who and a why, and I'll see about it.

The current icon for boards (the blue/gray squares) is a bit bland. Maybe we could get someone with graphic design skills to make two transparent png icons resembling the six armed snowflake/star symbol that is used in the comic. We could have a red one for boards that are updated and the usual gray for boards with no new updates.
Great idea.  Minna said she'd be happy to make some stuff for the forum, so if she contacts me about that, I'll bring it up with her.  Otherwise, I know there's a couple of good artists in the comments who might want to help.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
The four or five who post most consistently, here or in the comments, or have contributed the most.  Thiscat, for instance, started the poetry thread for the SSSS board, and has been filling it up pretty steadily with everybody's work.  Give a who and a why, and I'll see about it.

ThisCat would surely be the first to be awarded the title of Skald. She started the poem thread, kept collecting them, and wrote a good number of poems herself. I'd suggest Mikko and Riorlyne, but neither of them are in the forum. Come to think of it, the few regular poets are not here. There's ThisCat, and I think me, too. I mean, I've written a good number of poems and helped a little with the thread. Plus, I came up with the skald idea °^°

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
ThisCat would surely be the first to be awarded the title of Skald. She started the poem thread, kept collecting them, and wrote a good number of poems herself. I'd suggest Mikko and Riorlyne, but neither of them are in the forum. Come to think of it, the few regular poets are not here. There's ThisCat, and I think me, too. I mean, I've written a good number of poems and helped a little with the thread. Plus, I came up with the skald idea °^°
I was originally going to make that post about Mikko, but I figured it'd be best to go with someone I knew had an account.  I really want him to show up.  He's just so gosh darn delightful to talk to.  I don't think I've read any of Riorlyne's stuff yet, though. 
You're also spearheading the wiki, too...  hm...
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »
I was originally going to make that post about Mikko, but I figured it'd be best to go with someone I knew had an account.  I really want him to show up.  He's just so gosh darn delightful to talk to.  I don't think I've read any of Riorlyne's stuff yet, though. 
You're also spearheading the wiki, too...  hm...

Of course you've read Riorlyne's stuff, you just don't know it's hers. It's impossible not to read Orli's stuff! Her poetry rivals Mikko's! Just head over to the poem thread and you'll see (I suggest 'It's going to be okay', if you manage to find it)

Yup, you're not the only one hoping Mikko joins in. He would be a most valuable member of the community, and darn fun to talk with.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
ThisCat would surely be the first to be awarded the title of Skald. [...] and I think me, too. I mean, I've written a good number of poems and helped a little with the thread. Plus, I came up with the skald idea °^°
Yes, you were one I had in mind for the pioneering Skald title.  I agree that if Mikko/Incanus and Riorlyne ever show up on this forum, they too should be greeted with laurel wreaths and vatic mantles.  (Or whatever badge of honor Nordic skalds historically wore... my classical roots are showing.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/la-fleur-de-la-folie/4920680830/
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
...  Otherwise, I know there's a couple of good artists in the comments who might want to help.

I could probably whip up a few symbols in paint without much trouble. Shoot me a message whenever.

... I'd suggest Mikko and Riorlyne ...

Don't forget Sir. Orc. That dude's written a lot of poetry. Trust me, I had to collect it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:26:51 PM by ThisCat »
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
I could probably whip up a few symbols in paint without much trouble. Shoot me a message whenever.

Don't forget Sir. Orc. That dude's written a lot of poetry. Trust me, I had to collect it.

Of course, I forgot him! And he surely deserves a skald title, for all the quality poetry he's written!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
I was trying to make some transparent images just to showcase what I had in mind but apparently that's just impossible unless you have professional programmes. Seriously, GIMP is a nightmare and I'm so done.

Apparently the white area on the gray one turned dark during grayscaling....

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 05:52:13 AM »
I was trying to make some transparent images just to showcase what I had in mind but apparently that's just impossible unless you have professional programmes. Seriously, GIMP is a nightmare and I'm so done.

Apparently the white area on the gray one turned dark during grayscaling....

That's awesome! Good job!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 11:39:35 PM »
*Sigh*  I don't want to have a new thread on this board at the moment, so I'm just posting this here, because this is going to be something I'll be looking into improving for quite a while, I think.

We had our first spambot today.  His topic has been deleted, and every relevant facet of his account has been banned.  I'm not deleting his account quite yet, because he was using one of those rerouting hostnames/IPs, and I want to find a way to block out his hostname altogether, so every bot that might come from there will be blocked.  Thanks everyone for reporting it, I'm really happy that so many people knew exactly what to do.  You've made this a relatively swift swing of the banhammer and I really appreciate it.

Also, lovely icons, Fimbulvarg.  I'll try swapping them in tomorrow. 
Anyway, it's almost midnight, and I've got work tomorrow, so... goodnight everybody, and thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:42:02 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:36 AM »
Thanks for your hard work defending us against icky spammers, Eich!  I'm a little baffled as to why you take on all this trouble for a purely volunteer project, but we certainly appreciate it. 

And if you end up putting this forum on your resume, LinkedIn, etc., as a sample of your webmastery, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd gladly endorse you.  Assuming we ever find out who the Clark Kent behind the Superman is...   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »
Also, lovely icons, Fimbulvarg.  I'll try swapping them in tomorrow. 
Anyway, it's almost midnight, and I've got work tomorrow, so... goodnight everybody, and thanks again.

In that case, here's a grayscaled one without the grayed out embossed area