Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 135625 times)

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
Re: Improvements
« Reply #660 on: March 30, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
aw, no worries, Eriaror. thanks for the good work! it is much appreciated <3

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #661 on: July 11, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
Since Iceea passed I've been thinking about the situation, and wondering how, if something happened to me, I would get the word out here, so that people wouldn't just assume I vanished into the ether. My family doesn't know anything about this and if I passed suddenly I don't exactly have a 'inform everyone on the various message boards that I'm dead' option.
 I don't know. Maybe it's just me being morbid, or thinking about how so many of the forum 'old guard' have stepped out over the years - Haiz, Fimbulvarg, Laufey, Lazy8, and so many others - and how we don't really know what's happened to them in any detail.
If anyone has any ideas about this subject, please PM me.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #662 on: July 27, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »
I've just instituted a new ban, fingers crossed it works.  There seem to be at least a couple of websites that are just fronts for generating spam email addresses, ending in .xyz.  Example of lavarip.xyz website (found when I checked out the email domain of a new user who hadn't posted yet):

And here's one from darpun.xyz, looks like the same peer-reviewed ipso locum hokum to me:

So I've banned .xyz hostnames, hoping it works?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
These are all excellent poems.  I think you should take the spoiler off, though.  I've taken to heart a complaint someone made in the Art Museum thread, about their frustration in going back at another time and finding a work they loved.  They felt frustrated by having to stop, find the spoilers, and take time opening and closing them. 
For this work, a quick scan past would look like a reply post, and perhaps miss some mighty fine poetry.
YMMV.

... I wonder whether it would be possible to have spoiler tags that time out and deactivate (so that their content becomes normal text - or, in the case of the art topics, inline images - of the post) a certain time after posting? Or if the post is displayed within any but the last page of the topic, or somesuch?

P.S.: For sake of considering the merits, IIRC using the browser's search function (Ctl-F) does locate occurences of the keyword within spoilers, even if that spoiler has never been opened, though there's no hint that "thar it blows, but you'll have to open the spoiler to actually see it". But non-text spoiler content cannot be searched for, of course ...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:17:15 AM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #664 on: November 17, 2020, 02:26:28 PM »
... I wonder whether it would be possible to have spoiler tags that time out and deactivate (so that their content becomes normal text - or, in the case of the art topics, inline images - of the post) a certain time after posting? Or if the post is displayed within any but the last page of the topic, or somesuch?

P.S.: For sake of considering the merits, IIRC using the browser's search function (Ctl-F) does locate occurences of the keyword within spoilers, even if that spoiler has never been opened, though there's no hint that "thar it blows, but you'll have to open the spoiler to actually see it". But non-text spoiler content cannot be searched for, of course ...

I am so sorry for not getting back to you in a timely manner. This isn't possible with the current forum features and available modifications. Someone would have to code a way of doing this, but it's a more complex issue because spoiler tags are not always used to hide spoilers, but are also used for a wide range of things, such as content warnings, so having timed spoilers would have to determine what exactly is in the spoiler tag and why, which might require a really advanced algorithm, or a human to look through it, and unfortunately we don't have that capacity right now.

The search function on the site is not the best, and improving it is something that I want to do, but it's very oddly set up. I think Eri has done some work on it in the past.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Bippity Boppity Boop

• Call me Boop!!
« Reply #665 on: May 01, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
Would it be possible (and doable) to create a dark mode for the forum? Or does it already exist and have I simply missed it? I'd really appreciate one to reduce eye strain.
Call me Boop!

JoB

« Reply #666 on: May 01, 2023, 11:05:31 AM »
Or does it already exist and have I simply missed it?
Do you see that yellow(!?) crescent moon at the right end of the page header? The one Lalli notices following the team around? ;) Try and click it ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Bippity Boppity Boop

• Call me Boop!!
« Reply #667 on: May 01, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »
Thanks a lot @JoB!! This is excellent. Now I only wish it didn't make the cast drawing in the header look so weird, but I suppose that that's a very minor nitpick.
Call me Boop!

JoB

« Reply #668 on: May 02, 2023, 04:26:41 AM »
Now I only wish it didn't make the cast drawing in the header look so weird, but I suppose that that's a very minor nitpick.
Since it's "night", maybe it's TrollVision™? ;D

IndigoGollum

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he, him, etc.
« Reply #669 on: September 14, 2023, 10:22:14 PM »
I'm not sure how easy it would be since it doesn't exist as an emoji in Unicode, but I'd like to see an Esperanto flag smiley as :eo:. I know Esperanto doesn't belong to any one country like most flags do, but from what I've seen in my short time here, most people just use flags to indicate languages.
Fluent: :us:
Learning: :eo::dk:
My avatar is from here.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #670 on: September 15, 2023, 08:44:05 AM »
I'll see what I can do! We've got several custom emojis on here (added before my time) so adding an additional flag would be definitely possible. There are two broken emojis I need to fix anyway, so I'd be happy to add an esperanto flag as well.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #671 on: September 15, 2023, 09:31:29 AM »
It is done! It's uh... not the crispiest? But we have an esperanto emoji now :eo:

(I have also fixed the  :.D and  :.( emojis)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport