Author Topic: Global Holidays and Celebrations  (Read 43997 times)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
Re: Global Holidays and Celebrations
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
Well, that's it. Happy New Year, folks of everywhere.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
Happy New Year, all, and may the coming year be better than the last. It would need to be!
And Wyrm, I hope you feel much better soon. Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 10:37:39 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
Happy new year everybody!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
Seconding everything Róisín said. Good health and good luck, as much as possible, to all of us in the coming year.

Eight hours and some to go here yet; but while I may or may not still be awake at midnight, I probably won't be online then.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »
I second the second! Midnight’s still about 3 hours away where I am, but I wish a happy 2020 to people across all time zones and across the world!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
whoops, excuse the double post, but happy Earth Day, everyone!!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50:20 PM »
whoops, excuse the double post, but happy Earth Day, everyone!!!
It doesn't count as a double post if there's a significant gap between posts!   ;D 
There are indicators that there is cause to celebrate, even if only temporarily, this Earth Day.  Reports are coming in of bird song, star gazing, fossil fuel use reductions and overall pollution levels, all improving as people stay home under CV19 restrictions.  I personally can experience the sound of crickets in the underbrush of berm plantings around central Auckland, which I would never ordinarily get to hear over traffic noise.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
It's Anzac Day in Australia and New Zealand, commemorating the landings of the Anzac forces at Gallipoli in WW1.  Normally, this public holiday is a busy one for brass bandsmen here in New Zealand, with most localities holding parades and services from dawn through the morning.  NZ is still in Level 4 lockdown this year and all services have been cancelled, but bandsmen and choir appear in this assembled video, presenting a traditional hymn for the day, Abide With Me:
/>(yes, I am one of the tiles)
We will remember them.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
What Wavewright said. Normally I am deeply involved in my town’s Anzac Day, since father and paternal grandfather were army medics, maternal grandfather was a soldier who, before and after the war, was a farmer and boat builder, and various other relatives also served. I can’t imagine being a medic in the butchery of Gallipoli, but grandpa survived. Normally we go to the Dawn Service, and I pitch in earlier to help make the Gunfire Breakfast, a communal meal which the town shares after the service, and to clean up after.

The Dawn Service itself is solemn and beautiful, and includes a silent meditation upon the service of our soldiers. This year we couldn’t do that, because Covid19, so the service was replaced by a private vigil. Later today we will listen to the broadcast service from the War Memorial.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
My family and a couple of our neighbours held our dawn service vigils in our driveways, listening to the national broadcast over the radio. My Dad's side of the family has a large history of service (his paternal grandparents met while in the war, and I think a large portion of his relatives served in one way or another, some at Gallipoli), and he became a chaplain in the army reserves a couple years ago, so ANZAC day is an important day for us. In our old town we'd usually go to the 11am parade and service at the memorial park at the town's centre.

As it turns out, there's quite a few people on our street who are involved with the army.  We had a chat with one neighbour, a New Zealander who'd served in Afghanistan manning the radar for the air force in that area. Unfortunately their broadcast of the service was about 90 seconds behind ours so it overlapped a little awkwardly, but I think it was good to see that other people were out there commemorating this day, even though we can't go out to any public services. He also gave us some bacon, which was nice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:09:06 PM by Keep Looking »
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2020, 11:45:57 PM »
I held the Anzac Day vigil in the driveway with two of my neighbours. I saw people further down the street also holding vigil, which was pleasing.
This was a poignant day; twenty years ago I was at the Dawn Service at Anzac Cove.
My great-uncle was also with me today, represented by his photograph, taken soon after he was decorated with the Victoria Cross. He fought at Gallipoli, and in France, where he earned the VC by an act of courage that staggers the imagination. A YouTuber named Jackfrags, who posts examples of video gameplay, put together a tribute to my great-uncle.

[/size]
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2020, 12:03:20 AM »
Keep Looking, I’m glad your family was able to observe the day. And your neighbour sounds nice. It is part of the ethos of mateship to help one another and to plod on through the hard times with kindness and good humour. Anzac Day is especially important in the bush, because, especially in World War 1, a disproportionate number of the soldiers came from small bush towns and farming families, and a disproportionate number of those were killed by being thrown away in debacles like Gallipoli. But that disaster was a major crucible in which the Australian character was formed.

Something I find obscurely comforting is that it is raining. Rain on Anzac day is traditional. And at present greatly needed.

Yastreb, the tribute to your Uncle Mac is remarkable. Peace and honour to him.

Wavewright, we just listened to/watched the band and choir. So beautiful and heartfelt.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:18:02 AM by Róisín »

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2020, 03:39:57 AM »
Wavewright - that was beautifully played, beautifully sung, wonderfully presented, and wonderfully organised.

Chapeau bas a tout le monde!
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
A glad Vappu to those who keep it. The day can be fun even without a picnic. And a good May Day to all.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2020, 12:46:23 AM »
May all who celebrate have a sweet and healthy new year 5781.