Author Topic: Global Holidays and Celebrations  (Read 43552 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Global Holidays and Celebrations
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2018, 01:07:38 AM »
And a happy Pesach to you, Wavewright! We are having our monthly music night on Saturday, so there will be parties all over!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2018, 02:09:58 AM »
Well into seder preparations for tonight's Passover celebration. My husband & I have already made: skimmed chicken broth to be made into soup, potato kugel, charoset (apple-raisin-walnut condiment), hard-boiled eggs, chopped liver, brownies, dairy-free cappucino 'ice cream', cranberry-orange relish, and am in progress of chopping piles of veggies for soup, tzimmes and stuffing. It's glorious.
Washing the dishes, not so much.
Wishing a Happy Pesach for those who celebrate.

Wow, that sounds delicious!  We have cranberry-orange relish for American Thanksgiving (finely chopped fresh cranberries, oranges, and sugar, allowed to mellow till the sugar almost "pickles" the fruit and turns it translucent) -- is yours similar?  I'm intrigued by how the menu for the holiday I know as a spring celebration in the Northern Hemisphere adapts so nicely to fall. 

And likewise, chag Pesach sameach for those who celebrate it. 

Meanwhile, I am studying the reading I am giving at my church's Good Friday noon service tomorrow and preparing to boil eggs for Easter.  Happy Easter to those in Western Christian churches.  (Most Orthodox churches celebrate Easter this year on the following Sunday, April 8.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mr_Plinkett

« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »
Happy Good Friday.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
Wishing a good Passover, a good Easter, a good monthly music night, and merry whatever other celebrations are going on, to all those to whom it's relevant!

Róisín

« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
Thanks, thorny!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Thank you and joyous (or meaningfully sombre, in the case of Good Friday) celebrations to all!
Sunflower, it is the American cranberry-orange relish, only done with frozen cranberries.  Fresh cranberries are not available here anyway, frozen ones are a reasonably new product, so anytime is a good time.  We only made it on the morning, though, it won't have settled properly before the evening, but never mind.
We had a lovely seder, 6 at table (7 if you count the customary place set out for Elijah) and fabulous food.  We count on eating leftovers for fully half of Pesach anyway.
Here is a photo of my cat taking a break from supervising the set-up:

And on this night we recline...
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
Except that for cats reclining doesn't make this night different from any other night!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
Except that for cats reclining doesn't make this night different from any other night!

Touche! So true.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2018, 09:35:13 PM »
Happy Easter, Passover and general celebrations to everyone! May you all be blessed!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2018, 04:25:35 AM »
My calendar says it's the assyrian new year today so Happy New Year everyone!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
Went to the ANZAC Dawn Service this morning. For those not from Australia or New Zealand, it is a solemn commemoration of our war dead. I always go, since many of my kin and friends have died or suffered in various wars. We listen to a commemorative speech as the dawn breaks, there are generally  hymns and poems in memory of the dead, a bugler plays, wreaths are laid at the memorial, (all the little farm towns have one, because traditionally a lot of Australia's soldiers have come from the bush). Then the town has a communal breakfast in the CWA Hall, we drink gunfire coffee and look at historical exhibitions (big fancy ones this year because it is the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1). The local choir sang for us, popular songs of the WW1 period. Then everyone adjourned to the car park at the back of the hall for the ritual game of two-up.

This is the first Anzac Day in my memory when it hasn't rained. That felt strange.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2018, 01:00:36 AM »
Anzac Day is often a busy one for brass bands. I am proud to serve.

Róisín

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2018, 06:12:39 AM »
Did your band play today? We didn't have a brass band this year, though occasionally one plays for our town, just the bugler. At various times we have had a harper, a piper and a violinist, or a rather fine unaccompanied singer, and often the local choir - depends who is in town that year - but we usually have the bugler. I find it a solemn occasion, for the memory of my dad, both my grandfathers and various uncles and cousins. Most years I help with cooking the communal breakfast and doing the washing-up thereafter, of which there is rather a lot.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
I was hit with a horrible migraine overnight so I didn't make it to my local dawn service :(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
Did your band play today? We didn't have a brass band this year, though occasionally one plays for our town, just the bugler. At various times we have had a harper, a piper and a violinist, or a rather fine unaccompanied singer, and often the local choir - depends who is in town that year - but we usually have the bugler. I find it a solemn occasion, for the memory of my dad, both my grandfathers and various uncles and cousins. Most years I help with cooking the communal breakfast and doing the washing-up thereafter, of which there is rather a lot.

Oh yes, I played two services in my band's patch (which for better or for worse is way across town).  All of the local bands go play at least one service (many do two), and the cornet players often have some other ones stacked up too.
Our poor bugler was left hanging at the first service, having played the Last Post, then paused for the next portion, when the service leader announced wreath-laying instead.  The bugler shifted from foot-to-foot, then just went ahead and played the Reveille portion anyway.  The embarrassed leader then repeated the wreathlaying.