Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580978 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #2040 on: February 24, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, WaytoomanyUIDs. I hope it won't be a year before you post again! By the way, what is a UID?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #2041 on: February 24, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Hi all,
I go by WaytoomanyUIDs on the interwebs most of the time. Been reading Stand Still Stay Silent for a long time, found it from an archive binge at A Redtail's Dream. Seen mention of it before that, but had written it off as a generic zombie comic. Signed up on the forums about a year ago and then forgot I'd done so.

Welcome! I actually thought the same thing when I'd found ssss, but I read it anyways. Definitely worth it. c: Hope to see you around!
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2042 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, WaytoomanyUIDs. I hope it won't be a year before you post again! By the way, what is a UID?
(Since computers deal better with numbers than with names, what is shown to the humans as user- and groupnames is usually converted to identification numbers behind the scenes, in particular User ID (UID) and Group ID (GID).)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #2043 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »
Thanks, JoB!

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2044 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:44 AM »
Now ain't this great - I write the perfect introduction and lose it all because my session timed out. I hope I can muster a worthy repeat of a first impression. (Emil, I feel you, buddy.)

Moin everyone!

I've been lurking around the forum for a week or so and I felt like it was time to introduce myself.
I got introduced to SSSS two weeks ago and caught up on p.270. Since then I've been spending all my time reading aRTD, 3/4 of the Scriptorium and squeeing my way through 1/4 of the Art Museum. (Man, that thing is big!) I had to stop myself reading all of the Intro thread before posting my own - you might notice that I have a slight problem with having to read everything (I take ages in museums) and thus don't really like being late to things. (Another reason is that I missed the first book and I'm desperately hoping for a reprint at some point.) So, yeah, my life has been pretty much consumed by SSSS and my schoolwork is not happy.

About me: I'm originally from Hamburg, Germany, and currently studying in New England, USA. I study linguistics, so I get a bit crazy about languages and start to learn a bunch but really just want to understand how they work and then I move on. But I always tell myself that if I ever actually need to use them, I've got the basics down, and I'll just forget anything I'm not using right now anyways. (So much for the things I tell myself.) At least half of these languages are historical, so I don't need to speak them anyways. :D Last semester I took Old Norse, this semester I'm teaching myself Yiddish and next I'll hopefully get into a Finnish class. (I tried it once before but I'm not made for 9am classes.)
Oh wow, that's really just a lot of rambling about languages but it seems that's a prominent topic in the fandom - and I love it btw.
Are we still giving our age in characters? If yes, I'm a year younger than Hannu. (Sounds better than two years older than Tuuri, I'm anxious enough about adulthood as it is.)

And now I'll try to tear myself away, before I end up looking at fanart till 4 am again. I've got a Y0 fic outlined/started and couldn't help myself but doodle (despite my lack of drawing skills), so I guess I'll see you in the other threads (and in the comments)!

Hyvää yötä! *pat pat*
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #2045 on: February 26, 2016, 01:33:35 AM »
I've been lurking around the forum for a week or so and I felt like it was time to introduce myself.
I got introduced to SSSS two weeks ago and caught up on p.270. Since then I've been spending all my time reading aRTD, 3/4 of the Scriptorium and squeeing my way through 1/4 of the Art Museum. (Man, that thing is big!) I had to stop myself reading all of the Intro thread before posting my own

Heyo! < 3 Glad to meet you. : D I can sympathize with the "must read EVERYTHING!" mindset, heh. I'm slowly working through a backlog myself (going through the Scriptorium sure can take a while when your time is limited...)
Lots of people here looove languages, so you're in good company. (You got to take Old Norse? Eee, lucky! That sounds like it would've been so cool. *_* )

And now I'll try to tear myself away, before I end up looking at fanart till 4 am again. I've got a Y0 fic outlined/started

This sounds very relevant to my interests. : D If you end up writing it and deciding to share, I'll totally look forward to that. < 3
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2046 on: February 26, 2016, 02:35:39 AM »
Now ain't this great - I write the perfect introduction and lose it all because my session timed out. I hope I can muster a worthy repeat of a first impression. (Emil, I feel you, buddy.)

Moin everyone!

I got introduced to SSSS two weeks ago and caught up on p.270. Since then I've been spending all my time reading aRTD, 3/4 of the Scriptorium and squeeing my way through 1/4 of the Art Museum. (Man, that thing is big!) I had to stop myself reading all of the Intro thread before posting my own - you might notice that I have a slight problem with having to read everything (I take ages in museums) and thus don't really like being late to things. (Another reason is that I missed the first book and I'm desperately hoping for a reprint at some point.) So, yeah, my life has been pretty much consumed by SSSS and my schoolwork is not happy.

About me: I'm originally from Hamburg, Germany, and currently studying in New England, USA. I study linguistics, so I get a bit crazy about languages and start to learn a bunch but really just want to understand how they work and then I move on. But I always tell myself that if I ever actually need to use them, I've got the basics down, and I'll just forget anything I'm not using right now anyways. (So much for the things I tell myself.) At least half of these languages are historical, so I don't need to speak them anyways. :D Last semester I took Old Norse, this semester I'm teaching myself Yiddish and next I'll hopefully get into a Finnish class. (I tried it once before but I'm not made for 9am classes.)
Oh wow, that's really just a lot of rambling about languages but it seems that's a prominent topic in the fandom - and I love it btw.
Are we still giving our age in characters? If yes, I'm a year younger than Hannu. (Sounds better than two years older than Tuuri, I'm anxious enough about adulthood as it is.)

And now I'll try to tear myself away, before I end up looking at fanart till 4 am again. I've got a Y0 fic outlined/started and couldn't help myself but doodle (despite my lack of drawing skills), so I guess I'll see you in the other threads (and in the comments)!

Hyvää yötä! *pat pat*

Hi! Welcome! I must offer you some cookies: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:
Good luck getting through the art museum :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Róisín

« Reply #2047 on: February 26, 2016, 03:01:40 AM »
Hi tamaerchen! Another fic writer, yes. I think you'll fit right in! Welcome!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2048 on: February 26, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »
Welcome tamaerchen! It seems like you'll fit in here quite well. (YEs A nEW OnE To jOIn The inFECteD)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2049 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
Welcome, bienvenue, willkomen, bienvenido, benvenuto, tervetuloa tamaerchen!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #2050 on: February 26, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
Eeee,  a fellow linguistics student (and historical Germanic at that) -- welcome, tamaerchen! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧✨ (I find myself curious about good linguist-oriented self-teaching Yiddish resources...)
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2051 on: February 26, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »

About me: I'm originally from Hamburg, Germany...

Moinmoin,

not from Hamburg, but I somehow guessed you belong to the northerners.

Welcome to the board, as well as Niddy and everyone else whom I might have overread.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2052 on: February 26, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
(You got to take Old Norse? Eee, lucky! That sounds like it would've been so cool. *_* )
The grammar was more learning by heart than structural analysis but we translated a bunch of stuff from the Prose Edda, so that was really nice. :)

This sounds very relevant to my interests. : D If you end up writing it and deciding to share, I'll totally look forward to that. < 3
It's gonna be about a group of people from the Halligen in the German North Sea and since that's kind of a unique setting I need lots of exposition and right now I'm struggling on how to package that nicely and with a low density of German words... But I have some ideas and would love to share once it's done!

Piney, thank you for the cookies! *munches*  :squirrelcookie:

Another fic writer, yes.
At least a budding one. :) I'm really surprised that I haven't started earlier but this story has a special kind of power over me...

Eeee,  a fellow linguistics student (and historical Germanic at that)
We actually used Minna's language tree in the Intro to Linguistics that I TA'd for last year and I could kick myself that I didn't go look for where it came from then!

(I find myself curious about good linguist-oriented self-teaching Yiddish resources...)
I'm using a book for German speakers right now that's basically written in Yiddish (the two of them being so close). But I also heard good things about Weinreich's College Yiddish.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :) I'm off to write some...
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #2053 on: February 26, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »
I'm using a book for German speakers right now that's basically written in Yiddish (the two of them being so close). But I also heard good things about Weinreich's College Yiddish.

Ah, I can see how that would be a big help. On the other hand, my english-speaking department's Old Church Slavonic class last term used a textbook in German, so it must not be an entirely insurmountable obstacle (and I've known for years I ought to learn to read it anyway, learn more than I've already picked up accidentally through Die Ärzte songs, there's so much linguistics stuff inaccessible without it)

We actually used Minna's language tree in the Intro to Linguistics that I TA'd for last year and I could kick myself that I didn't go look for where it came from then!

THAT'S AMAZING and now I'm almost sad that intro ling probably isn't one of the classes I'll TA.

(Also, I too look forward to seeing your fic eventually!)
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2054 on: February 26, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Welcome, WaytoomanyUIDs and tamaerchen :) :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: