Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580879 times)

Sananjalka

• Super-Newbie
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1995 on: February 08, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
Their formal body uses it as a correct form.  That is normative enough for me.

Ah, I see. I prefer letting native English speakers (whether in a normative or in a laissez-faire way) define the English vocabulary, including foreign people’s ethnonyms. Naturally others can make suggestions, and those might catch off.

On the other hand, I am more interested than the everyman in how the Northern Sami speakers define their own vocabulary (vaikko mun human hui veaháš sámegiela).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:44:23 PM by Sananjalka »
Talán mégiscsak lesz folytatás...

Native: :finland:
More or less fluent: :hungary: :usa:
More or less fluent reader: :fennoswede:
Can read: :germany: :denmark: :norway:
Very limited knowledge: :estonia: :france: :russia:
Just might understand something sometimes: :netherlands: :spain:

Dire

« Reply #1996 on: February 08, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »
Mélusine: the verb is 'say', right? In English it's an adjective, meaning terrfying, scary, terrible - like 'dire consequences' or 'direwolf'. Languages can be weird.

Dire: or Jordan, which do you prefer? Welcome! I'm enjoying your writing and comments.

Dire is fine! I don't expect people to remember my real name when it's not in my profile :) thank you for asking though, and for the welcome from everyone!

My "dire" is for "dire wolf." When I was maybe eight or nine my dad and I always played this old AD&D computer game that had dire wolves as first level monsters, I loved them. I pretty much have used Dire as my default pseudonym ever since...such a dork haha

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1997 on: February 09, 2016, 12:27:54 AM »
Welcome to anyone whos new here! I haven't been on in a little while, and therefore have neglected welcoming some of you. Wells, please do come in, leave your shoes at the door, and take some cookies before you enter the blanket fort! Enjoy! :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #1998 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
and as I wander back to this thread ten pages later -

Welcome Sananjalka, Dire, and everyone else newish! Thanks to all for my welcomes; I am charmed that there's even an emote for the squirrel cookies.
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #1999 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Hello everyone !
I go by the name Crumpite, as the closest village is called Crump, and anyone within a few miles considers themselves inhabitants.
Thusly, an inhabitant of Crump is a crumpite, just like an inhabitant of Paris is a parasite...
I tend to make horrible unintelligible jokes, limiting my social interaction and invitations to parties.

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #2000 on: February 12, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
Hello everyone !
I go by the name Crumpite, as the closest village is called Crump, and anyone within a few miles considers themselves inhabitants.
Thusly, an inhabitant of Crump is a crumpite, just like an inhabitant of Paris is a parasite...
I tend to make horrible unintelligible jokes, limiting my social interaction and invitations to parties.
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2001 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
Hello everyone !
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2002 on: February 13, 2016, 03:49:44 AM »
Welcome Crumpite! Nice to see you over here at last. You've been very interesting in the comments, and I have no doubt you'll find the forumites just as interesting. There are several of us here arguing with mortal illness, and my policy is to be stubborn and enjoy what's left. From what I've seen your attitude seems similar.

You should explore some of the threads on technology, salvage, agriculture, and the like. We have some fascinating discussions. I reckon you'll fit right in! Welcome!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2003 on: February 13, 2016, 04:27:37 AM »
That's about it, except I've been active in the comments section for quite some time.
I find the SSSS folks to be a wonderful bunch of folks, the best I've run into in all my years on the internet !
Everyone should take a bow, you don't find folks like you very often !
So, welcome among wonderful persons, new wonderful person ? :) Is offering biscuits fine ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2004 on: February 13, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
Oh, I'm sure that there are even better examples to be found ...

I have leukemia and am fighting for my life.
Luckily, medical science is staying ahead of my illness, and aside from chemo side effects and lots of Dr. Appointments I still have a good life
[Hands metaphorical battle axe and a somewhat more physical (and Nordic) rhyton]
Good luck with that ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Crumpite

• Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #2005 on: February 14, 2016, 12:51:54 AM »
G0vnah: I play autoharp and mountain dulcimer, though not for a while now. I'm refurbishing my autoharp right now and hope to get back to it soon.  My wife is an INTJ and I'm an INTP

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2006 on: February 14, 2016, 01:23:30 AM »
Mountain dulcimer eh? My husband played one of those for awhile, and I'm trying to get him to take it up again. We probably know a lot of the same songs. Nowadays my hands are pretty crippled, and I've given away all but the lightest of my harps, but I can still get music out of mandolin and bodhran, and I still sing.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #2007 on: February 14, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
G0vnah: I play autoharp and mountain dulcimer, though not for a while now. I'm refurbishing my autoharp right now and hope to get back to it soon.  My wife is an INTJ and I'm an INTP
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Hedge

• Tumblr
« Reply #2008 on: February 18, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »
Hey, I'm new to the forum but I've been reading the comic since September.

Name's Toby but I tend to go by Hedge online.

I'm 26, British, former university dropout, currently a student again, like my sciences and languages.

Only really speak English well, but I've got some Portuguese, Spanish, and a smattering of French, German and Danish.

So, hey everyone.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2009 on: February 18, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
Welcome, Hedge :) A cookie ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: