Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580955 times)

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1980 on: February 04, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
I just realised that I have been rather lax at welcoming people. My seal is meant to keep me on track but has been goofing off chasing fish and jamming with Tanzwut. Bad seal!

In any case, welcome G0vnah, MysteryClassic, spartandude, Regolith247, Sananjalka and anyone else I may have missed!

lol, well, okay then. Better late than never! :D

Also, welcome to everyone who I missed, too. Sorry for not getting here sooner. I shall be more diligent in the future! :)
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1981 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Welcome Sananjalka!  Your array of languages is indeed impressive!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sananjalka

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1982 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:57 AM »
My thanks for the warm welcomes.

Isten hozott a fórumon!

Köszönöm szépen. Jót tenne egy kis gyakorlás. Nem lenne kedved föléleszteni a magyar témát?

A cookie? :squirrelcookie:

I presume those are made of pure meme flour, with lots of sugar? I really prefer cookies to candy, so I'll be quick to delete, ahem, consume them!

(Oh, survive they did ...)

Thank you for the useful link! I am trying to catch up with "Survivor communities outside the known world" before commenting the fate of the poor Sami any further... and that one is a long thread with lots of lengthy messages.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:10:03 AM by Sananjalka »
Talán mégiscsak lesz folytatás...

Native: :finland:
More or less fluent: :hungary: :usa:
More or less fluent reader: :fennoswede:
Can read: :germany: :denmark: :norway:
Very limited knowledge: :estonia: :france: :russia:
Just might understand something sometimes: :netherlands: :spain:

Dire

« Reply #1983 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:57 AM »
Just realized I never really introduced myself here, just randomly posted in the Scriptorium one day xD

I'm Jordan (a girl Jordan), I go by Dire or dire18 on The Internets because it's my old Neopets handle and the name just stuck (don't judge meeeee Dx). I started following Minna on Deviantart back before aRTD was being posted a very long time ago. I started actively keeping up with aRTD I think around chapter four. This seems like a great fandom and I'm happy to stop being a lurker and start actually being a member! And my dog is looking at me like I'm a jerk for writing this instead of scratching her belly.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1984 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
Just realized I never really introduced myself here, just randomly posted in the Scriptorium one day xD

I'm Jordan (a girl Jordan), I go by Dire or dire18 on The Internets because it's my old Neopets handle and the name just stuck (don't judge meeeee Dx). I started following Minna on Deviantart back before aRTD was being posted a very long time ago. I started actively keeping up with aRTD I think around chapter four. This seems like a great fandom and I'm happy to stop being a lurker and start actually being a member! And my dog is looking at me like I'm a jerk for writing this instead of scratching her belly.

I'm sure the dog will forgive you if you scratch her belly now. Dogs are nice, loving creatures like that. Well, most of them are. Most of the ones I've known are.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1985 on: February 07, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Welcome Dire :) :squirrelcookie:
I have to admit it was strange to see your name here the first time, because it's a verb in French ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1986 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
Mélusine: the verb is 'say', right? In English it's an adjective, meaning terrfying, scary, terrible - like 'dire consequences' or 'direwolf'. Languages can be weird.

Dire: or Jordan, which do you prefer? Welcome! I'm enjoying your writing and comments.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1987 on: February 07, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »
Mélusine: the verb is 'say', right? In English it's an adjective, meaning terrfying, scary, terrible - like 'dire consequences' or 'direwolf'. Languages can be weird.
You're right, and wow, nothing in common indeed, I learnt something new :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1988 on: February 07, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
...the fate of the poor Sami...
I'm doing quite nicely, thank you :)
Spoiler: show
Sami is a common firstname in Finland (at least it was in the late 70s). It is derived from Samuel, not from the Sami-people. Use of Sami (in refering to Sámi-people is quite typical (see the wikipedia), but it really should be writen Sámi in english :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:54:34 PM by saminiemi »

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1989 on: February 07, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »

Fellow lurkers unite! XD I was lurking for about half a year before making my presence known, so I can relate. :b Welcome!
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Sananjalka

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1990 on: February 07, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
it really should be writen Sámi in english :)

In a sense, I would love to agree with you, since I like diacritics myself, but...

Spoiler: show
Who has given that regulation? After all, "no official or central regulating body defines Standard English." Wikipedia folks are rather interested in details like this; I have every reason to believe they would mention it if there was something wrong with the Sami variant.

My understanding is that both versions are quite acceptable. If I wrote Sámi, then, for consistency’s sake, I would have to follow the academic tradition with such English words as façade, jalapeño, naïve and reëlect. Quite frankly, I am too lazy to do that when no one seems to care. The diacritics in personal names and place names are enough of a job for me.

If anyone else likes to use the acute accent for Sámi, for any reason, I have absolutely no objections, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:23:24 PM by Sananjalka »
Talán mégiscsak lesz folytatás...

Native: :finland:
More or less fluent: :hungary: :usa:
More or less fluent reader: :fennoswede:
Can read: :germany: :denmark: :norway:
Very limited knowledge: :estonia: :france: :russia:
Just might understand something sometimes: :netherlands: :spain:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1991 on: February 08, 2016, 02:26:23 AM »
*poppsbytogreetthe"flood"ofnewcomers*

I see some of you already feel comfortable enough to start discussions, welcome to the board!

:)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1992 on: February 08, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
*poppsbytogreetthe"flood"ofnewcomers*

I see some of you already feel comfortable enough to start discussions, welcome to the board!

:)
Lol, thanks! :D

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1993 on: February 08, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »
Who has given that regulation?
No one. Their formal body uses it as a correct form.  That is normative enough for me.
http://www.samediggi.fi/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=105&Itemid=167

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1994 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »
Welcome welcome Dire!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: