Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580999 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1875 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:35 AM »
Hi Dorsalus, and welcome! You sound as if you will fit right in!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1876 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »
Hi, Dorsalus!  Welcome to the fun of the forum!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #1877 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »
Welcome! I am one of those who joined and didn't know how to use a forum or even social media and I was really shy. Aaaaaand now almost by accident I help run it. Who would have thought? You never know what will happen. Joining this forum is probably the best decision I ever made. I've met so many wonderful people here. This community really is quite awesome.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1878 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
I haven't popped in here for a while, so welcome to all the newcomers! I'm sure you'll find a whole host of interesting things to discuss with interesting people here! ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1879 on: January 19, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Welcome Dorsalus!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #1880 on: January 19, 2016, 01:36:56 PM »
Welcome, Dorsalus and all other newbies!
Well, I guess I'm also somewhat shy, and as you can see from my number of posts and how long I've already been here, I don't really post much - but the wonderful thing is, for enjoying the forum it doesn't matter if you are very active or not. :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1881 on: January 19, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
Hi, I'm Anna. I'm currently a year older than Tuuri.  I live in a basement on the eastern side of the American Midwest and I found SSSS through a little banner on another webcomic. (Far To The North, I think. Either that or Girl Genius.) I share my living space with a couple of Grade C felines. I have read both SSSS and aRTD all the way through and am working on rereading both. I spend too much time reading stuff online (Buzzfeed is a real rabbithole, lemme tell you) and texting my one friend who still lives in Florida.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1882 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »
Welcome, Anna :) :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1883 on: January 19, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Welcome to Anna, and also Dorsalus and all those I missed~ Looking forward to seeing you around the forum! : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1884 on: January 19, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »
Welcome Anna! Basement dwellers unite! (The grade C felines who live with me aren't allowed in my part of the basement though, too much potential for litter box confusion). Also I live in the western part of the American East, so I feel like we're vaguely neighbors. ;)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1885 on: January 19, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »
Hi, I'm Anna. I'm currently a year older than Tuuri.  I live in a basement on the eastern side of the American Midwest and I found SSSS through a little banner on another webcomic. (Far To The North, I think. Either that or Girl Genius.) I share my living space with a couple of Grade C felines. I have read both SSSS and aRTD all the way through and am working on rereading both. I spend too much time reading stuff online (Buzzfeed is a real rabbithole, lemme tell you) and texting my one friend who still lives in Florida.

Welcome Anna!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #1886 on: January 19, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
Hi and welcome, Anna! That's an awesome avatar!

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1887 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
Hi and welcome, Anna! That's an awesome avatar!
I unrepentantly stole it from Ms. Sundberg's piece "The Safe Place" because it reminded me of an old character of mine.  O:-)

Welcome Anna! Basement dwellers unite! (The grade C felines who live with me aren't allowed in my part of the basement though, too much potential for litter box confusion). Also I live in the western part of the American East, so I feel like we're vaguely neighbors. ;)
Ah, cool! Hi, Neighbor!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:02:51 PM by Anna »
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

prof_marvel

• trying to be Buddhist
« Reply #1888 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »
God dag / Hyvää päivää! !

Please allow me to introduce myself.
I go by Prof Marvel;  I am a certified card-carrying Grumpy Old Phart, nearly as old as Trond Anderson.

I have been interested in SF, good comic art, and well-told stories since I could read. Mrs Marvel and I both enjoy
good anime, especially historical or supernatural, as long as the story drives the work, not just mecha's or fighting or other teen boy oriented trivia ( examples we like: Inuyasha; Natsume Yuujinchou [Natsume's Book of Friends]; Ghost In The Shell; Cowboy BeBop; Samurai Champloo ) . I am pleased to have found SSSS !!!!

I like to hike in the local mountains, raise vegetables, study history, play with electronics, build damn near anything ( especially furniture, traditional longbows, clocks, knives, axes ) and have done way too many martial arts. Mrs Marvel and I have been Cat Slaves for almost 30 years, currently to two incredibly intelligent black and white feral cats who were rescued as kittens and adopted by us at ~ 6 weeks of age.

We are great believers in That Which Cannot Be Seen, and we talk to birds and other critters . and trees. and rocks.

Whilst down sick with the flu after the New Year I found SSSS on the Hive, and I was so entranced I read it one sitting. Then re-read it. Then found RTD and read it in two evenings. Then I began scouring the web for Minna Sundberg's works, being enthralled by her art and stories. I am working diligently to refrain from becoming a stalker !

I was first  impressed by Ms Sundberg's artistic style, then by her use of historic Nordic costumes and settings,
then by her scholarly approach to the languages!

We can see from Minna's other works, that she is fully capable of exquisite photo-realistic depictions. As her own style developed,  first in RTD  then in SSSS we see she achieved a beautiful "softer" water-color inspired artistic rendition that is far more expressive of  motion and emotion. Thus when certain visual details ( which she is clearly capable of rendering ) are not critical to the story, artistic style, and progression such details can be readily diminshed, especially when  details of this nature are considerably less important to the overall work. I find this refreshing and compelling!

The facts that Ms Sundberg has worked out so much background detail essential to the storyline, the character's backstory, and character development  and maintains the consistency speaks volumes of her professionalism in the art.

Further, we can see that Ms Sundberg has put an incredible amount of study and effort into the historic, geographic, and linguisitic background to this epic Nordic saga - even to the point that her Language Tree has become a reference and resource to quite a number of educational institutions!

I am looking forward to re-reading RTD; re-re-reading and following SSSS,  and I hope to find ways to throw money at Ms Sundberg to help her continue her works.

your humble servant
prof marvel
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:41:51 PM by prof_marvel »
those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Róisín

« Reply #1889 on: January 20, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
Welcome Prof! You sound like someone who will fit in just fine here. I read your essay on weapons with considerable interest, and look forward to reading your further ruminations. From one grumpy old phart to another, welcome!