Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580865 times)

ParanormalAndroid

Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1575 on: November 01, 2015, 08:53:09 AM »
Hi everyone, new person here! I'm a 23-year-old university student and part-time translator from Finland. I discovered SSSS a month or two ago when I saw a short review of the comic on Tumblr. It made me curious because the art looked beautiful, it was set in Northern Europe unlike most post-apocalyptic stories, and the artist had a Finnish-sounding name, so I started reading and became addicted immediately. I have now read SSSS maybe four times and aRTD twice, and I was spending so much time lurking in the comment section and on the forum that I decided to just give in and start posting.

Also, I think a lot of people have said this before me, but I'll say it again anyway: I'm impressed by how friendly and polite and just generally lovely all the SSSS fans seem to be, and it makes me like the comic even more. :)
Shwmae a croeso, Pupunen!
Everyone loves the comic's art, yeah, and it is a nice change from the usual Australian/American wastelands you normally see in post-apocalyptic stories.
I'll just refer you to our (affiliated, but not directly linked) IRC channel over on Quakenet at #ssss, and show you to the SSSS Art Museum and the Language Board.
See you around!
(Although actually, one thing- may I ask where you picked up basic Welsh from? It's not even fluently spoken by most people over here, yet alone even known of anywhere else. .-.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:11:22 PM by Para »

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1576 on: November 01, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Hi everyone, new person here! I'm a 23-year-old university student and part-time translator from Finland. I discovered SSSS a month or two ago when I saw a short review of the comic on Tumblr. It made me curious because the art looked beautiful, it was set in Northern Europe unlike most post-apocalyptic stories, and the artist had a Finnish-sounding name, so I started reading and became addicted immediately. I have now read SSSS maybe four times and aRTD twice, and I was spending so much time lurking in the comment section and on the forum that I decided to just give in and start posting.

Also, I think a lot of people have said this before me, but I'll say it again anyway: I'm impressed by how friendly and polite and just generally lovely all the SSSS fans seem to be, and it makes me like the comic even more. :)

Yes, welcome! Here, have some squirrel cookies! :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: Have a look around, don't be shy! Para already gave out some good links, so I'm just going to leave it at that, and say welcome again!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1577 on: November 01, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
Welcome among us, Pupunen :) More cookies ? :squirrelcookie:
(I agree, this community is the most best I've ever seen on internet.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1578 on: November 01, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
Shwmae a croeso, Pupunen!
--
(Although actually, one thing- may I ask where you picked up basic Welsh from? It's not even fluently spoken by most people over here, yet alone even known of anywhere else. .-.)

Diolch yn fawr! :) I spent half a year in Cardiff as an Erasmus student last year and took a beginners' Welsh class. Learning Welsh was actually one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Cardiff. But when I say basics, I really mean very basic stuff - I can introduce myself in Welsh, ask how someone is doing and maybe complain about the weather a little bit, but not much else. I wish I had managed to learn more, though! I heard that this year, Bangor was among the exchange options, and I'm so jealous of the people who get to go there, I'm pretty sure there would have been more opportunities to learn Welsh there. (And North Wales is also incredibly beautiful.)

I have delusions of studying more Welsh one day, but I think I'll have to wait until I'm done with the compulsory Icelandic class I'm taking right now...

Anyway, thank you for the squirrel cookies, everyone!
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #1579 on: November 01, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »

Ahh! Rival Finnish bunny person :D
Welcome, welcome~
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

chaelcodes

« Reply #1580 on: November 03, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »
Hello. I'm a 23yo application developer from the U.S.
I go by Rachael in the comments, and I'm OrganicClockwork on tumblr (but I've been trying to change it to ChaelCodes).
I don't remember when I started reading A Redtail's Dream, but it was long before it was completed.
I remember slogging through the prologue, and becoming obsessed with Stand Still Stay Silent when I saw Lalli's dream-world. That's when I started reading the comments.
The first time we saw the Giant in the train, it took me several minutes to understand that that's what a troll looked like in the real world. I thought all the prior images were metaphors of how terrible they were, and that Lalli's dream was a spiritual representation. I never imagined that they would look so gruesome.
Lately, I've been reading everything on the fan forum, in particular the art thread and sssscriptorium.
I'm trying to learn to draw and write fan fiction so I can contribute more to the forum. I draw using the ArtFlow app on my tablet.

Also, I'm on a carb-free diet, so no squirrel cookies for me. :)
:artd:   :book1+:   :chap6:   :chap7:   :chap8:   :chap9:   :chap10: :chap11:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1581 on: November 03, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
Welcome chaelcodes ! Have a...
Okay, forgot that :D

I remember slogging through the prologue, and becoming obsessed with Stand Still Stay Silent when I saw Lalli's dream-world.
*Remember how smiling and inwardly excited she was, discovering it - Maybe not only inwardly...* ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1582 on: November 03, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
Hiiii chaelcodes, and welcome!

Man, I know what you mean about that moment with the Giant on the train - so intense! And that's when it clicked that things weren't, ah, metaphorical.

... You're interested in writing fanfiction? *_* Excellennnnt. Hopefully you'll share your art with us, and your writing if you do any.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it here. : D!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1583 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »
Hello. I'm a 23yo application developer from the U.S.
I go by Rachael in the comments, and I'm OrganicClockwork on tumblr (but I've been trying to change it to ChaelCodes).
I don't remember when I started reading A Redtail's Dream, but it was long before it was completed.
I remember slogging through the prologue, and becoming obsessed with Stand Still Stay Silent when I saw Lalli's dream-world. That's when I started reading the comments.
The first time we saw the Giant in the train, it took me several minutes to understand that that's what a troll looked like in the real world. I thought all the prior images were metaphors of how terrible they were, and that Lalli's dream was a spiritual representation. I never imagined that they would look so gruesome.
Lately, I've been reading everything on the fan forum, in particular the art thread and sssscriptorium.
I'm trying to learn to draw and write fan fiction so I can contribute more to the forum. I draw using the ArtFlow app on my tablet.

Welcome to the Forum!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

corncobman

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Weirdsmith
« Reply #1584 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
Hey you guys!

On the scale of late introductions, this one might rank as the all-time top one. I don't really have an excuse, aside from "I couldn't be bothered".

I'm CornCobMan, I'm 30-someting and I was born in Northern Ireland (read Norn Iron)  to parents from Hong Kong so I have both British and Chinese roots. I like to think of this as the best of both worlds and while I'm by no means an expert of either culture I have experienced them somewhat. I'm currently living and working in Hong Kong since a few years ago.

So many of you already know me from the forum and the Disqus comments as "that sort-of poet who's a bit weird" but believe it or not in real life I do not express myself in many words, if at all. In real life I am a reserved individual and I am not the kind of guy who likes the sound of my own voice enough to talk to strangers in public unsolicited. I only talk when absolutely life-threateningly necessary and even then the words can probably be counted only on one hand. Conversations with me can be (read always) mind numbingly dull I suspect due the above. I'd probably talk more if it weren't for my crippling social awkwardness, and complete lack of something to say...

The comments section and the forums here are my outlet for wordswordswordswords and people seem to like them so I keep doing it. I like nothing more than to spend a quiet night in and my favourite pastimes involve playing games, eating, sometimes modding games, eating, watching sports, eating, listening to music, eating, reading, eating, watching movies, eating, eating and eating.

That's enough about me.
CornCobMan out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:20:45 PM by corncobman »
A man left his Icelandic home
Escaped to Denmark to freely roam
With hair braided red
He got hit on the head
With a crate lid slammed onto his dome

Fluent: :uk:
Fluent spoken, bad writing: :china:
Some knowledge: :france: :germany:
Odd word here and there: :japan:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1585 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
Hey you guys!

On the scale of late introductions, this one might rank as the all-time top one, I don't really have an excuse, aside from "I couldn't be bothered".

Sounds like a good excuse to me. ;p

High-five from one quiet person to another! It was nice to hear a bit about you; thanks for taking the time.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

corncobman

• Weirdsmith
« Reply #1586 on: November 05, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »
Thank you.

*insert words here*

High five and such.
A man left his Icelandic home
Escaped to Denmark to freely roam
With hair braided red
He got hit on the head
With a crate lid slammed onto his dome

Fluent: :uk:
Fluent spoken, bad writing: :china:
Some knowledge: :france: :germany:
Odd word here and there: :japan:

Jimothy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1587 on: November 05, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
Hello. I made an account pretty much entirely to make a joke in my profile pic.

Also because I like the comic.
I'm the real shiggy, I'm the real shiggy-diggy

:usa: native
:germany: could probably speak pidgin if I had to, thinking of learning

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1588 on: November 05, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Hello. I made an account pretty much entirely to make a joke in my profile pic.

Also because I like the comic.

Both very good reasons if I do say so myself! Welcome to the forum! 8)
YEET

Malin

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1589 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:05 AM »
Hey guys, a webcomic artist recommended I try out this forum to mingle a bit, said that there are nice people here.

I'm also a webcomic artist myself, and I have had a webcomic up for about 7 months now. It's pretty new, so I don't have a big following, but the readers I have are very faithful.
I got into ssss because I'm a big fan of long, epic stories and most of all I'm a fan of Scandinavian themes.
I'm Norwegian myself, born in Trondheim and now I'm studying visual development in San Francisco, USA.

So yeah, I hope to meet people here with similar interests as me, and seeing that a lot of people here are Scandinavian I think I'm in the right place! Hope to make some friends, making a comic alone is very lonely.