Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581071 times)

Mic

• Super-Newbie
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1515 on: October 18, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
Hallo people of the SSSScomic forums, I'm Mic(k). Big fan of the comic (found it while viewing the language tree map on a subreddit) and have to say the community seems great (as far as I can tell from the comic comments).
I'm a final year student of engineering and live in the remote and mysterious land of South Africa.
Still trying to find my bearings around the forum, and hope to post here more soon once I've got more free time.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1516 on: October 18, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
Hallo people of the SSSScomic forums, I'm Mic(k). Big fan of the comic (found it while viewing the language tree map on a subreddit) and have to say the community seems great (as far as I can tell from the comic comments).
I'm a final year student of engineering and live in the remote and mysterious land of South Africa.
Still trying to find my bearings around the forum, and hope to post here more soon once I've got more free time.
Welcome Mic :) The community is great ! I'm still amazed and delighted to have found a so nice community and so amazing persons here. A cookie ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1517 on: October 18, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »

Welcome! As remote and mysterious as it is, you're not actually the first member of South African origins.

Mic

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1518 on: October 18, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
Welcome Mic :) The community is great ! I'm still amazed and delighted to have found a so nice community and so amazing persons here. A cookie ? :squirrelcookie:

Thanks ;D

Welcome! As remote and mysterious as it is, you're not actually the first member of South African origins.

I would've guessed so, but it's fun being dramatic like that :P

So what're some good threads to check out on the forums?

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1519 on: October 18, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »
So what're some good threads to check out on the forums?
Everything here is awesome, but I can recommend the SSSS Scriptorium (fan fiction), the SSSS Art Museum (Fanart), and the SSSS Memes/edits thread as places to start. Also, If you read and enjoyed aRTD then I think you should check out the aRTD Counterparts of those threads.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #1520 on: October 18, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Croeso, Mic!
A lot of people came here from tha language map, yeah.
As for how great the community is (really great), our IRC channel is part of Quakenet, at #ssss- why not drop by and chat sometime?
Also, given that you're an engineer this thread may interest you.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, any other member of staff, or frankly any well-established member- most of them know more than I do.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1521 on: October 18, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »

Hello! I do believe (not including myself) you are the third South African who's identified themselves in this fandom. Perhaps the second (again not including myself) that's actually made an account here.

I'm a bit of an oddity myself, born in South Africa but been all over since. I do go back every few years, though - still got quite a few members of my family over there, too. Coincidentally, one of them is also in his last year of engineering, haha. I think at Potch'.

As Luth said, there are many interesting things to start out with. Depends what you like. I'll leave the masterlist of art threads here, though - might be a nice place to start. There are some pretty cool theory threads on the SSSS Board, lots of interesting language threads on the Language Board if you're at all interested in that, and the General Discussion Board has all sorts. Search around and you'll probably find something you're interested in ;)
Am notified of private messages via email.

jmf (john_cephalopod)

• "You can always tell from the eyes"~General Shouty
  • Preferred pronouns: "he/his" or "they/their"
« Reply #1522 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Hey, I am jmf. I am a 20 years old guy, living in the middle of germany and studying computer science.
German is my native language, I am fluent in english and also speak a little bit of french.
I found aRTD some time ago and read it, then went on to read SSSS, at that point SSSS was uploaded to somewhere around page 380.
I really love and enjoy the artwork and story.

Languages:  Native :germany: | Fluent :uk: | Some :france:|Learning :spain:
Survived: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #1523 on: October 19, 2015, 07:21:58 PM »
Hey, I am jmf. I am a 20 years old guy, living in the middle of germany and studying computer science.
German is my native language, I am fluent in english and also speak a little bit of french.
I found aRTD some time ago and read it, then went on to read SSSS, at that point SSSS was uploaded to somewhere around page 380.

Welcome, jmf! Here, have a squirrel cookie or two: :squirrelcookie: We've got a few Germans around here, as well as German and French language threads, in case you wanted to chat in one of those languages. We also have plenty of art threads if you'd like to check those out or contribute (Is that your own drawing of whale-rider Reynir? Because it looks awesome!). With the chapter break coming up very soon, now was a good time to join: you can still get your daily fix of SSSS here and speculate on what's to come. So welcome once again!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Shaula

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1524 on: October 19, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
Hiya!
I'm Shaula from the US West Coast, and in a week I'll be one year younger than Onni with sometimes about as much confidence in the world.
I got out of university with a physics degree, but then became professional science camp staff, who then works backstage at the local theater on breaks. (Life is weeeiird!)

I found SSSS sometime in Chapter 5 after following a link from What It Takes(NSFW) and then later realized it was the second time I found Minna's work. She made some tutorials for DA back when she was ShadowUmbre on there, and those helped me take my first steps into making actually decent backgrounds!

Anyways, until now I'd been content to enjoy the story and art from afar, but then I found the forum, so here I am ^^
Native: :usa:
Barely Learning: :france: :sign: -- --- .-. ... .
Someday: :japan:

:chap6::chap7::chap8:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #1525 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »
Ahhh, welcome jmf and Shaula!
Have some squirrel cookies, if you like! o/ :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1526 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I'm Shaula from the US West Coast, and in a week I'll be one year younger than Onni with sometimes about as much confidence in the world.
I got out of university with a physics degree, but then became professional science camp staff, who then works backstage at the local theater on breaks. (Life is weeeiird!)

I found SSSS sometime in Chapter 5 after following a link from What It Takes(NSFW) and then later realized it was the second time I found Minna's work. She made some tutorials for DA back when she was ShadowUmbre on there, and those helped me take my first steps into making actually decent backgrounds!

Anyways, until now I'd been content to enjoy the story and art from afar, but then I found the forum, so here I am ^^

Welcome, Shaula!  And thanks for the tidbit about Minna's earlier career -- I never pictured her having an angsty Dark-Romantic username, but I'm tickled to find out she did! 

Where on the West Coast are you?  I ask because I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area; we've already had one Minnion Meet-Up (in June).  It was so much fun that we are considering another before the holidays.

And welcome jmf!  My only connections are to Germany are that I used to work for SAP and my brother and his family recently moved to Frankfurt -- but that's enough to make me think kindly of Germans. 

We look forward to seeing both of you around the Forum. 
BTW, we have a new thread for Username Origins if either of you would like to discuss yours.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:03:19 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

jmf (john_cephalopod)

• "You can always tell from the eyes"~General Shouty
  • Preferred pronouns: "he/his" or "they/their"
« Reply #1527 on: October 19, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
(Is that your own drawing of whale-rider Reynir? Because it looks awesome!).
Thanks. :)
It is a part of a bigger picture I've drawn, specifically to cut out a part as profile picture. I'll post the full image in the art thread soon.
Languages:  Native :germany: | Fluent :uk: | Some :france:|Learning :spain:
Survived: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Shaula

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1528 on: October 19, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
Ahhh, welcome jmf and Shaula!
Have some squirrel cookies, if you like! o/ :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

Thank you ^^ *munches cookies*

Welcome, Shaula!  And thanks for the tidbit about Minna's earlier career -- I never pictured her having an angsty Dark-Romantic username, but I'm tickled to find out she did! 

Where on the West Coast are you?  I ask because I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area; we've already had one Minnion Meet-Up (in June).  It was so much fun that we are considering another before the holidays.

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow... I actually had new information?
Though I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The name difference meant it took me nearly a year to figure out that my favorite tutorials and one of my favorite webcomics (the one with the best art!) were from the same person XD

And that's wild! I'm not technically SF Bay Area, but I'm only a few hours from said city, so I could definitely make a meetup in that area! ^^
Native: :usa:
Barely Learning: :france: :sign: -- --- .-. ... .
Someday: :japan:

:chap6::chap7::chap8:

shaeira

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • wants to post more but ends up lurking through
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her ; they/them
« Reply #1529 on: October 20, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
ok here goes X///[
Hallo there ! I'm shaeira (but you can call me Shai if you guys want ) . 17 yr. old turning 18 this December . I'm from somewhere in the Southeast asia. I discovered SSSS through someone who suggested it by posting a link in the comics of "Always Raining Here" so whoever that was THANK YOUUUU!  ;D ;D He/she posted a bunch of links to other comics and I'm so glad I clicked the SSSS one .
And wow you guys know a lot of diff. languages (and I'm just here with my own lang. and English)
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

everyone else knows so many languages
-----------
knows : :philippines: : Tagalog and Bisaya  :usa:
learning : :spain:
will continue someday: :sweden:

twit~
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖