Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580988 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1215 on: August 16, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
Hello everyone!
I'm terribly shy and tend to lurk, but I figured an introduction might be useful. Hi, I'm Yuu. Some of my interests are northern European history, epic literature, travel, and writing fanfiction (nothing for SSSS so far; but yes for aRTD). Oh, and I'm from Canada.

I first became aware of SSSS during the print campaign, but didn't actually start reading it until a couple of weeks ago, at the beginning of this August. I wanted to wait until I had the book version in my hand, because I usually prefer to read on paper. But then I just... I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I finally gave in, because I'm utterly hooked on it. Minna's storytelling skills are stellar! Also, I'm very fond of A Redtail's Dream; that comic seems almost as if it were tailor-made for me. Come into my arms, aRTD fans! Let me love you!

You all seem like lovely people, and I look forward to becoming more familiar with you.

Yaaay, fellow aRTD fan!! Welcome! ;D
Although I'm a big fan of SSSS, I don't know if anything will ever replace aRTD in my heart.
I'm looking forward to read your fanfiction!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1216 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
Hello everyone!
I'm terribly shy and tend to lurk, but I figured an introduction might be useful. Hi, I'm Yuu. Some of my interests are northern European history, epic literature, travel, and writing fanfiction (nothing for SSSS so far; but yes for aRTD). Oh, and I'm from Canada.

I first became aware of SSSS during the print campaign, but didn't actually start reading it until a couple of weeks ago, at the beginning of this August. I wanted to wait until I had the book version in my hand, because I usually prefer to read on paper. But then I just... I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I finally gave in, because I'm utterly hooked on it. Minna's storytelling skills are stellar! Also, I'm very fond of A Redtail's Dream; that comic seems almost as if it were tailor-made for me. Come into my arms, aRTD fans! Let me love you!

You all seem like lovely people, and I look forward to becoming more familiar with you.

Welcome Yuu! Have some cookies! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ

(Piney, have you ever thing about a career in baking cookies ?)

To be honest............ I've never made cookies from scratch IRL >.>

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1217 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »
Wh... what ? *Astonished look. Disillusionment* Something is collapsing with your confession. Do you need a recipe ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1218 on: August 16, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Hello everyone!

Yessssss another Canadian person! \o/

just watch though, population dynamics will strike again and you'll be in Toronto or something
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1219 on: August 16, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
Wh... what ? *Astonished look. Disillusionment* Something is collapsing with your confession. Do you need a recipe ?

At least I never claimed that I could bake IRL... my family always just bakes pre-made cookie dough... <.<
...But it's certainly fun to make virtual cookies :D

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1220 on: August 16, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
Oh yes, this is a lovely place with lovely people :) Welcome among us, Yuuago !
(Piney, have you ever thing about a career in baking cookies ?)

Thank you so much! You guys really know how to make a person feel welcome. And it's really nice to be in a fandom that is so active. (Most of mine are kind of, well, tiny.)

Hi Yuu! Someone will probably be around with squirrel cookies in a bit, but let me be the first (well, second. Ninja'd by Mélusine!) to welcome you here! Between the travel, literature, and writing, I'm sure you'll find lots to talk about with us ;D And we've got a few Canadians around here, too: you can join the club! Don't worry about being a lurker or shy: I am (er, was? Still shy but slowly getting over it) too, and everyone here is really friendly and fun to talk to. So come! Check out some threads! And I said it once before, but I'll say it again: welcome! ;D

After glancing through the rest of the thread, it looks like a bit of beginning jitters is pretty common. At least I'm not alone!

Yay!!! More Canadians! We shall all slowly take over the world while no one is looking :D

That's the Canadian way! We're so quiet and polite about it, nobody even realizes that we've invaded until we're occupying the place.

Yaaay, fellow aRTD fan!! Welcome! ;D
Although I'm a big fan of SSSS, I don't know if anything will ever replace aRTD in my heart.
I'm looking forward to read your fanfiction!

aRTD certainly is something special. It appeals to me on almost every front. I could go on for ages about that, but instead I'll leave it there. As for fiction, it's in my archive (signature) or up on ao3 - it's nice that there's finally a canon category for it. Now, to fill it up! (And hopefully eventually it won't be only me in there....)

Welcome Yuu! Have some cookies! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ

Thank you so much! And... if you're ever in need of a recipe, I have some excellent ones. ;p

Yessssss another Canadian person! \o/

just watch though, population dynamics will strike again and you'll be in Toronto or something

Actually, I'm not anywhere near Toronto! I'm much farther northwest - in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Middle of nowhere! Probably the only one in this area. It gets a little lonely up here.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #1221 on: August 16, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
Actually, I'm not anywhere near Toronto! I'm much farther northwest - in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Middle of nowhere! Probably the only one in this area. It gets a little lonely up here.
AAA
I'm in Calgary! :D

which I know is nowhere near you but it' still closer than anyone else! :D

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1222 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »
AAA
I'm in Calgary! :D

which I know is nowhere near you but it' still closer than anyone else! :D

OH MY GOSH
Yeah, it's a pretty long way, but at least you're in the right province! (Best province, am I right? ;p ) HOWDY, NEIGHBOUR. It isn't often that I run into people from here; it's always either Toronto area or, sometimes, BC.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #1223 on: August 16, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
OH MY GOSH
Yeah, it's a pretty long way, but at least you're in the right province! (Best province, am I right? ;p ) HOWDY, NEIGHBOUR. It isn't often that I run into people from here; it's always either Toronto area or, sometimes, BC.
We're pretty rare indeed! Must be the weather that drives everyone away...

(there are supposedly two people from Airdrie and a person down in Lethbridge on the Fandom Map, but I don't think they use the forums...)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1224 on: August 17, 2015, 04:54:28 AM »
I love how german your language sounds (read with bokmål pronounciation in my head, well knowing that this might be heavily german influenced XD)

More like your language is Norwegian influenced until you prove the reverse, har.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1225 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
At least I never claimed that I could bake IRL... my family always just bakes pre-made cookie dough... <.<
Relevant comic is relevant. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Satakieli

• Super-Newbie
  • Hejsan!
« Reply #1226 on: August 17, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »
Hello, hello! I decided my username was dumb so my display name I guess is what sticks (whoops). I live in Sweden, currently in the process of moving from one student room to another (fun way to spend the summer, eh?) and found SSSS because one of my friends asked who wanted to cosplay with her, so I asked her what it was about and she told me I had to read it because it was the best webcomic ever - and so far she's right  ;D

So, other information about me... Female, twenty-one years old. I'm not Swedish, but I'm (mostly) fluent now, at least according to my language documents. And I'm studying 100% in Swedish, so eek. I'm from the US. Native language is English and only English, but I started with foreign languages when I was five years old (which now makes Swedish the tenth language I pick up, but it's already at a higher level than my potato-quality German and Chinese, hah...). Can understand written and spoken Norwegian, written Danish, sometimes spoken Danish, and can't speak either. Everything that comes out of my mouth will just sound like Swedish, heh. I did dabble in Icelandic and Finnish before Swedish, in fact. Fun languages ^^ But I'm not counting those because I can't speak them for shit.

I haven't read aRTD yet but since everyone's claiming it's so excellent I think I should get going on that once I'm done with the hectic moving chaos and have all my books for this semester :P

Nice to meet you all!  8)
:usa: :uk: :sweden: :germany:
Potato-level :denmark:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1227 on: August 17, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
Hello hello, Satakieli! Welcome! It's so great when friends who share your tastes drag you into things like this comic, isn't it? Great minds think alike etc. Well, it's lovely to have you here! We can be new together. ;p

I haven't read aRTD yet but since everyone's claiming it's so excellent I think I should get going on that once I'm done with the hectic moving chaos and have all my books for this semester :P

As for aRTD, it is very good. It's a little bit rougher than SSSS is, especially in the beginning, but that's to be expected, since it came first and was a learning experience. When I recommend it to people, I generally encourage to stick around through to the end of chapter 3 before making up one's mind about it, because that was when I really started to love it. So, hopefully when you get around to reading it, you will enjoy it. (And good luck with all that moving, by the way!)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1228 on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
Hello, hello! I decided my username was dumb so my display name I guess is what sticks (whoops). I live in Sweden, currently in the process of moving from one student room to another (fun way to spend the summer, eh?) and found SSSS because one of my friends asked who wanted to cosplay with her, so I asked her what it was about and she told me I had to read it because it was the best webcomic ever - and so far she's right  ;D

So, other information about me... Female, twenty-one years old. I'm not Swedish, but I'm (mostly) fluent now, at least according to my language documents. And I'm studying 100% in Swedish, so eek. I'm from the US. Native language is English and only English, but I started with foreign languages when I was five years old (which now makes Swedish the tenth language I pick up, but it's already at a higher level than my potato-quality German and Chinese, hah...). Can understand written and spoken Norwegian, written Danish, sometimes spoken Danish, and can't speak either. Everything that comes out of my mouth will just sound like Swedish, heh. I did dabble in Icelandic and Finnish before Swedish, in fact. Fun languages ^^ But I'm not counting those because I can't speak them for s***.

Nice to meet you all!  8)

Welcome!! Sounds like you'll fit right in. (But I mean it, with the Language Board and all. Languages are popular around here ::))
Anyway, have some welcome cookies: (Yes, they're squirrel-shaped)

¯¯\_(◕◡◕)

Satakieli

• Super-Newbie
  • Hejsan!
« Reply #1229 on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
Welcome!! Sounds like you'll fit right in. (But I mean it, with the Language Board and all. Languages are popular around here ::))
Anyway, have some welcome cookies: (Yes, they're squirrel-shaped)

¯¯\_(◕◡◕)

Ooh, squirrel cookies :D Why thank you for the warm welcome ^^
And on that note, I should really get going, as it's an unearthly time and I had been planning to get up early to pack and move some things but it's soon sunrise here :o whoops.

Will check out some of the other threads later, probably!

And thanks Yuuago as well! (Sorry, your reply escaped my notice there for a moment) Welcome to you too, I guess, since we're both new here :P I see you're from Canada? So, just north of where I'm from, then ;)
:usa: :uk: :sweden: :germany:
Potato-level :denmark: