Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580877 times)

daiseerose

Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1020 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:23 AM »
Hi! Maybe some cookies will make you feel better? :D

I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon.
Thanks! This happens a lot. When I lay down I usually feel sick. So idk what's happening.

Synæsthesia

• It's definitely one or the other.
« Reply #1021 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:49 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone!

>Hello there! Florida sounds miserable during the summer.

It is! But it does have one advantage: The Floridian winter is the Nordic summer. Our temperatures rarely rise farther than 25C. It's absolutely beautiful from late October until early March. Then it starts becoming a humid swamp greenhouse again. :( I'm overworking myself by taking projects home from the office and staying up until 2 or 3 AM every night, so I leave and pedal off to work at 9:45 or so every morning lately. I have a tan on one side of my left leg that's darker than the other half from commuting north/south 30 minutes, one way. With summer being here, my cyclist tan lines are very obvious lol

>Oho, another Floridian! *high fives*

You're over in Tampa? I lived there for close to four years when I was going to art college, right off Himes and Busch Boulevard.

>That's a very impressive amount of miles, and I saw some of your models in the forum art thread, they're gorgeous! I wasn't sure if they were a photo edit, actually :o That's so impressive!

Thank you! :) I've been modeling for 15 years, but I only started professional work in late 2011. When you're in an office with people who push you to become better than you were before, it's really motivating.

My people:
My languages:

"What the immigrant tries to forget, the grandson tries to recover." M. Hansen

Soikia

• You never know when you'll need swing music
« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2015, 01:10:59 AM »
Synæsthesia - Oh my, winter sounds lovely there. Don't overwork yourself to much!   :( Hopefully you'll get some time to relax soon

Synæsthesia

« Reply #1023 on: July 02, 2015, 01:18:24 AM »
Hey, thanks for the concern. :)

I'm actually taking some time for myself right now. Office work has its perks. I scheduled off for tomorrow (we get Friday off anyhow), so I have a four day weekend. I don't plan to wake up anytime soon!

My people:
My languages:

Soikia

« Reply #1024 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:56 AM »
That's good to hear! Four day weekends are always a blessing  :D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1025 on: July 02, 2015, 03:23:47 AM »
Hello! Um just wanted to say hi, because I don't go to the general discussion board often. Just wanted to pop In and say hi.

Welcome!  Want to tell us a little bit about yourself?  (Synaesthesia has provided a good example of an intro.)  At this point, we know more about your Self-Insert than your Actual Selftm -- though if you want to keep it that way, that's fine.

And Synaesthesia, I'm curious -- how'd you pick your Forum name?  Do you actually experience synesthesia

Meanwhile, welcome Visionary_Narwhal, Coyoteslaugh, Russet, Troposphère, and all our other great new members.  I'm madly curious to know how you picked your names too.  Troposphère, your nickname presumably comes from your work on boundary layers... but where does a visionary narwhal come in?   :o
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:31:18 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1026 on: July 02, 2015, 03:54:53 AM »
Oooo, I didn't even know this thread was a thing!  :o I've been active the last few days, but am still very much a newbie!

I am turning 24 this month (July) and live in Southern California. I just finished my first year teaching a 6th-8th grade combination class at a charter school after graduating from a credential program last summer, and let me say this- all the stress of the school year and the late nights spent on planning curriculum or grading papers are SO worth it for this 100% relaxing summer. How I have missed summers without responsibilities, and this -ah- this is fabulous! As some of you may have seen already from my aforementioned activity that this has given me the freedom to spend a lot of time on drawing, reading, and rps in general.

I'm originally from Canada, but we moved to the States when I was 6 and am have been a naturalized US citizen since my senior year of high school. I still have the vestiges of a Canadian accent and love visiting my family up north, but am very culturally "American". My dad is of Dutch decent and I love my Oma and Opa to bits, but I wish they had passed on the language to my dad and my dad then to us (my younger siblings and I, Trinka included). I have been infatuated with languages since primary school, but unfortunately do not have the aptitude for it! I consider myself gifted in many other areas though, inheriting my mom's talent for the arts-mostly writing and visual arts- and my dad's keen mind for science and math. I whole-heartedly consider myself a nerd, but where I live and teach is sadly bereft of nerd culture.  :'(
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Soikia

« Reply #1027 on: July 02, 2015, 04:20:17 AM »
Oooo, I didn't even know this thread was a thing!  :o I've been active the last few days, but am still very much a newbie!

I am turning 24 this month (July) and live in Southern California. I just finished my first year teaching a 6th-8th grade combination class at a charter school after graduating from a credential program last summer, and let me say this- all the stress of the school year and the late nights spent on planning curriculum or grading papers are SO worth it for this 100% relaxing summer. How I have missed summers without responsibilities, and this -ah- this is fabulous! As some of you may have seen already from my aforementioned activity that this has given me the freedom to spend a lot of time on drawing, reading, and rps in general.

I'm originally from Canada, but we moved to the States when I was 6 and am have been a naturalized US citizen since my senior year of high school. I still have the vestiges of a Canadian accent and love visiting my family up north, but am very culturally "American". My dad is of Dutch decent and I love my Oma and Opa to bits, but I wish they had passed on the language to my dad and my dad then to us (my younger siblings and I, Trinka included). I have been infatuated with languages since primary school, but unfortunately do not have the aptitude for it! I consider myself gifted in many other areas though, inheriting my mom's talent for the arts-mostly writing and visual arts- and my dad's keen mind for science and math. I whole-heartedly consider myself a nerd, but where I live and teach is sadly bereft of nerd culture.  :'(

Ahhh hello there! I'm near the Southern California area as well haha
Congrats on surviving your first year of teaching! Down where I'm at, a lot of teachers don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve  :-\ Those nice summer breaks must be awesome though!

My dad is also of dutch descent! He was up in the Netherlands for work while my mom raised me in Germany, but he sadly refuses to teach me any dutch seeing as it would serve no use with us being in america now.

There is very little nerd culture down here as well, there's small pockets of it here and there. The word small doesn't even begin to define it sadly, it's nearly nonexistent - or I've been looking in all the wrong places

Lainer3

« Reply #1028 on: July 02, 2015, 05:54:47 AM »
Velkommen Synæsthesia!

And welcome Alethryia !

daiseerose

« Reply #1029 on: July 02, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
Welcome!  Want to tell us a little bit about yourself?  (Synaesthesia has provided a good example of an intro.)  At this point, we know more about your Self-Insert than your Actual Selftm -- though if you want to keep it that way, that's fine.

I was born and raised in Alaska, we lived in a city for a few years, but we moved around a lot, so we lived in multiple houses. I was home schooled, but went to public school in 8th grade, when something happened and we had to move to Texas. I like to draw, and write, and is the family disappointment.

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1030 on: July 02, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
Ahhh hello there! I'm near the Southern California area as well haha
Congrats on surviving your first year of teaching! Down where I'm at, a lot of teachers don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve  :-\ Those nice summer breaks must be awesome though!

My dad is also of dutch descent! He was up in the Netherlands for work while my mom raised me in Germany, but he sadly refuses to teach me any dutch seeing as it would serve no use with us being in america now.

There is very little nerd culture down here as well, there's small pockets of it here and there. The word small doesn't even begin to define it sadly, it's nearly nonexistent - or I've been looking in all the wrong places

Thank you, survived is definitely the correct term! There was a lot of craziness this year, but I absolutely loved my students and teaching them in the classroom, it was everything else that was madness. Teachers also don't get the most credit in general, in the county I love in, but in my actual city everyone is super-duper appreciative for our charter school, so that's wonderful! <3

Ugh, the only "nerd culture" spot in my whole city is a collectible figurines shop, but that is it! No local gaming store, no comic shop, no gaming groups listed on any sites. T_T Although, the population of the city I live in now is only around 5,100 people.
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Synæsthesia

« Reply #1031 on: July 02, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »
>how'd you pick your Forum name? 

This is a major reason why I picked my name. I've gone by other names in the past but this is the one I prefer. It's also less susceptible to being picked out of random Google searches.

>Do you actually experience synesthesia?

I think we all do to an extent. I've had synaesthetic sensations before but I don't think I have the condition.

>Velkommen Synæsthesia!

Tak! Jeg er glad at være her.

>but he sadly refuses to teach me any dutch seeing as it would serve no use with us being in america now

There's always Duolingo! Also, depending on where you work, you might find Dutch to be very useful. For example, my office deals with an arm of the Royal Netherlands government. I would imagine that knowing some Dutch would be taken as a sign of respect. Of course, knowing more languages is always an asset to Americans as we often have a stigma of only knowing English.

My people:
My languages:

Soikia

« Reply #1032 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Alethyria Ah yeah I know that feeling with the figurines shop! The closest one to me is a good twenty minutes away and everything is horribly over priced. The only thing I have is the gaming club at my high-school, but even then the guys tend to look down on any girl who joins so I'm a little uncomfortable about joining it  :-\

Synæsthesia Ahhh I remember duolingo, I used it a bit for French. I'll definitely have to check it out, I completely forgot about that site

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1033 on: July 02, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
I was born and raised in Alaska, we lived in a city for a few years, but we moved around a lot, so we lived in multiple houses. I was home schooled, but went to public school in 8th grade, when something happened and we had to move to Texas.  I like to draw, and write, and is the family disappointment.

Awww, I hate to hear people thinking about themselves that way.  Besides, you're young and you have your whole life in front of you.  (Besides, if SSSS has a life lesson for us, it's that you never know what people previously considered misfits are capable of...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Coda

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1034 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
I totally forgot to post here for a while aghh. So, hello!

I'm 22 and Canadian. I finished my degree in literature and am working on getting certification in editing/publishing, but that's not going to happen for quite a while. For now I'm mainly focused on playing in my local concert band. I write a lot and draw a little and actually stumbled into the art thread here before this one (whoops).

I think I found SSSS through another website that was giving a rundown of webcomics with really beautiful art, but it was last year and I don't  remember where I read it. I immediately fell in love with Minna's art, and just after that with the characters, so I decided to stick around! This is the first time I've made an account for a fan forum. I'm not sure I'll be super prolific as far as posts go (I'm naturally pretty quiet), but the people here seem really nice, and I look forward to exploring the forum!