Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580986 times)

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #555 on: March 16, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
I like you already :D
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #556 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
Heyoo!
I go by Snaketoes, Ghostplops, sometimes Vonwaffle and/or Beatrix...

I currently live on THE SUN aka California with my significant other, but I'm from Oregon. I miss trees. And water. Right now I am a receptionist, p cool riiight? But ultimately I want to become an artist of some sort, a tattoo artist, a concept artist (but the video game industry is kinda awful, so probably not haha), start a webcomic of my own, I have some neat ideas!

Or maybe if I can ever dig up a pile of money go to college for mechanical engineering, oh I also have a hankering to learn coding. There's an inane amount of things I want to do, I have no attention span so I need a clone or two methinks.  ....

Anyway that's enough about my stanky life! I discovered SSSS through an ad during a webcomic binge and clicked it because the art looked very pretty! I am so glad I did, because I'm in deep, thank you advertising! *u*

Ahh it's nice to meet you all, I will try to be talkative but I am quite anxious and shy AND IT'S BAD.

Welcome, Ghostplops!  We've seen you over on Disqus -- glad you signed up here too.

We have plenty of artists, comickers, engineers, coders, and college students here (in various permutations), so whatever your future plans, you'll find someone to discuss them with.  And several Californians, including me. 

We're all friendly, so feel free to explore and soon you'll be right at home.

- Sunflower
Forum-Skald
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »
Heyoo!
I just turned 21 a few months ago, and if you count sitting around and playing video games moderately drunk as a coming of age because that's what I did, PARTY.
I'm not educated beyond high school (don't go down that path if you can avoid it!) I currently live on THE SUN aka California with my significant other, but I'm from Oregon. I miss trees. And water.
...and cry at myself for playing Destiny continuously.

Hallo and welcome!
1. That sounds like a coming of age party I might actually enjoy. :D
2. Feel free to come back to Oregon when you finally run out of water down there. (That drought sounds wicked!) I currently live in Oregon, and thoroughly enjoy the trees and water. I would try to keep the stinky Californians away, but I am, sadly, one of them. Or used to be. Not sure when I can write that wrong off my record.
3. Destiny does that to a person... I managed to break my addiction, but I just keep wanting to go back. If only there was more storyline... that I didn't have to pay extra for... *shakes fist at Bungie*

That being said, I'll skedaddle before I get zinged by an admin for chatting in the intro thread. Nice to meet you! Hope we bump into each other elsewhere.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

TwistySticks

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2015, 05:04:08 AM »
Hey Guys!!!

I'm TwistySticks and I've been reading SSSS for about 3 months now because I found the comic through someone posting the Proto-Indo-European and Uralic language tree and I clicked it and become hooked! As well as the three months I have been stalking the comments and forum for a while too. (Saying stuff like this is definitely like I'm in group counselling or something).

My life at the moment is dominated by my College work. I'm doing Ancient History, Biology and English Literature with a Latin qualification on the side. I was greatly appreciating the Latin down in the comments today. I think it was today anywhoo.

Apart from work, I'm usually sitting in my house in the internet. So I think this forum will give me something active and social to do then.  :D
Native -  :uk:
Learning - :japan: :sweden: :vaticancity:

Robert

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
Hi, I'm Robert.  I've been lurking here for awhile and I occasionally comment over on the comics.

I started reading when aRTD was posting.  As I recall, Ville was in seal form.

I'm a 33 year old software developer.  I was born in Indianapolis, moved to the Chicago suburbs for work, and since then moved to Honolulu.  Mostly chasing the sun, but I made sure I had work before moving.

I work as a contractor and consultant. Currently I'm mostly working with an insurance company in Honolulu as a contractor and as a consultant for a small business that sets up and runs eCommerce sites for carpet cleaners with real time scheduling.  I'm working on setting up a consulting business providing paid consulting and partnerships on speculative software for mobile, web, eCommerce, IoT, and anywhere else software runs.

When I'm not working I read a great deal on fantasy/sci-fi, history, philosophy, biography, and classical works.

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
Hi! Call me Q.

I'm not sure how active I'll be over here, I haven't used a forum in ages... But I wanted to register to be able to keep better track of forum posts - there's a lot of threads I'll be wanting to comb through in the near future! (...I realized this after already reading through the entire fanart thread and needing to know where I stopped off.) I found out about SSSS through friends talking about it, read it all in one night a couple weeks ago, and now I'm a little in love.

Besides that - I'm 23, American, my main interests are things like history, art history, geography, linguistics, planning, architecture, identity, and so on; I've fallen into a major special interest hole with the Nordic countries in general over the past year, too, so that's certainly part of the reason for SSSS's appeal! (My other significant fandom is Hetalia. Quite a different way of looking at the same areas, that's for sure.)

I like cats and coffee. I'm working on learning Norwegian but I'm slow.
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:58 AM »
Welcome TwistySticks, Robert and Q! Make yourselves comfortable and have some cookies. *hands out plain normal cookies because she isn't sure about the squirrel ones*
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »
Hi! Call me Q.
a single letter, hm?
Welcome all newcommers :D
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #563 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »
a single letter, hm?

In Finnish that single letter is pronounced "kuu" which also means the moon.

Welcome new people!
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Alaron

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
Hi! I'm Alaron. I've been around SSSS since a bit after the prologue, but lurked until page 263. I'm now joining the forum.

I prefer not to share personal information, but here's an interesting fact:

I have the power to talk in rainbows.

Fluent: :usa:, Rainbow

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

hi! i covet your ability
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »

Bet sorting that out took some time :)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »
Hello hello.

I go by Vafhudr on the internet. I am a 22 year old French-Canadian, though I have acclimated well enough to English by now. I have emerged mostly whole from a first round of university with a double major in Political Science and Classics. I have a passion for history, along with literature, sociology, philosophy, psychology, architecture, art (especially visual), and the natural sciences. Writing and spending inordinate of time wasting myself on the internet are my main hobbies. I have some interest in Scandinavian/Nordic culture, more precisely with Finland and Iceland - especially from the comparative perspective of my studies (Ancient democracy is one of the big things I worked on, as well as mythology and religion). I need to find time to learn some of these languages...

I am currently decaying way up north, working a job I rather hate as I await an admission answer from universities. My daily dose of SSSS keeps me going, if only for a bit. A friend showed me SSSS and then I read ARtD on my own. I enjoyed both tremendously. I read webcomics sporadically, binging on whatever catches my fancies, along with mangas and other related nerd bullshit on the internet these days. What a time to be alive.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
You seem like you may have a healthy dose of bitterness and cynicism.  I think I am going to like you.

rj_hogan

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
I'm Robert (usually rj_hogan on the web) and I'm from New Zealand, lived a long time in England but now live in Australia. And I'm a web comic junky.

Otherwise I try to write short stories (mostly sci-fi/fantasy), love playing board games/pc games and generally into all things geek.

R J Hogan

Author of Over Analysing - a web comic review site
http://www.overanalysing.com