Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581199 times)

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
I think the living in Zambia and learning Mandarin are probably coincidences.

Also, how come I never got any cookies either?

aaaawwww you get the delayed love-bombs of welcome instead!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #361 on: February 17, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
OH GOD!  The love!  It's so sweet, but the delivery hurts SO MUCH!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #362 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
OH GOD!  The love!  It's so sweet, but the delivery hurts SO MUCH!
T least he didn't use the tactical combat knife of love.  Serrated edges, you know.
*Watches the love bombs from a bunker*
Feel free to PM.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #363 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
Wait, you went to Zambia of all places in order to learn Mandarin?
I think the living in Zambia and learning Mandarin are probably coincidences.

I am only learning Mandarin in Zambia through a series of strange happenings, yes... (If it makes any more sense, I lived in Vietnam when I started?)

Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #364 on: February 17, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
I am only learning Mandarin in Zambia through a series of strange happenings, yes... (If it makes any more sense, I lived in Vietnam when I started?)

Are your parents diplomats or in international business?  My brother works for the U.S. State Department; he and his family have lived in Egypt and the Philippines (and are soon to relocate to Germany).  His kids speak at least a little of all kinds of languages.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #365 on: February 17, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
Are your parents diplomats or in international business?  My brother works for the U.S. State Department; he and his family have lived in Egypt and the Philippines (and are soon to relocate to Germany).  His kids speak at least a little of all kinds of languages.

Yeah, my parents are international teachers. I'm horrible with languages though, so Mandarin and English are all I can manage. Egypt sounds really cool! Do your brothers kids go to an international or local school there?

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Yeah, my parents are international teachers. I'm horrible with languages though, so Mandarin and English are all I can manage. Egypt sounds really cool! Do your brothers kids go to an international or local school there?

They live in the D.C. suburbs at the moment.  But whenever they've lived overseas, they've gone to international schools, taught in English.  (They're all learning German now, but 6 months of lessons wouldn't be enough for the kids to survive in German schools.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #367 on: February 17, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
They live in the D.C. suburbs at the moment.  But whenever they've lived overseas, they've gone to international schools, taught in English.  (They're all learning German now, but 6 months of lessons wouldn't be enough for the kids to survive in German schools.)

Yeah, academics in a new language are crazy. It's pretty awesome that their family is learning some German ahead of time, though.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #368 on: February 17, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »
For those of you who feel like you're left out:

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #369 on: February 17, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
For those of you who feel like you're left out:

You're clearly a professional.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #370 on: February 18, 2015, 05:57:47 AM »
*kisses the cook on the cheek*  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »
YaY, thank you Piney :).

Korppi

Re: Somewhat late set of greetings!
« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
Oh... crud. Sorry. I really need to pay more attention.

Again, sorry.   :-[
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :uk:
Terrible At: :sweden:
Trying to Learn: :germany: :russia:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
Haha, you're welcome, guys ;D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
*he-hem*

Hello all,

My name is Jenna
I am older than Tuuri but younger than Sigrun. I've been faithfully groveling after Minna page by long awaited page since I binge read to the BearVille-Hannu-Nest sequence of aRTD. I found her via DeviantArt, where she used to post the pages along with each update, and I'm soooo glad that I did, because her comic has... how do you even put into words how awesome Minna is outside of the art that she draws? She's inspiring to me as an artist, and as a young adult figuring out how to make a place in the world outside of the traditional "go to college, get job, be disappointed" cycle that so many of us seem to fall into. I admire her so much for finishing aRTD and then going on to fulfill her dream of drawing SSSS and making it into a full time career. I happily throw my money at her in exchange for a book when she does the print drives.

Anyways... I live in the Pacific Northwest, USA, and sadly only speak English, with some fragments of Spanish. My dream is to become fluent in Japanese and move there to work with homeless teens, but right now I'm still in the "make time to study my workbook" phase. I am seriously impressed that so many of you here on the forums speak multiple languages. That's not something we value/teach very much in the US, but I wish we did.

I do anything that sparks my fancy, and have an artistic spirit, so I dabble in many areas; Sewing, sketching, painting, playing piano/guitar, sculpting, writing... and I'm a complete bookaholic and video game addict, with a love for collecting retro nintendo games. Needless to say, I'm a webcomic addict, but really only religious about checking SSSS for updates.

I skipped out on college because I thought it would be a waste of time for me, so I ended up career-less for awhile. Career-less, but happy and debt free. I started an Etsy shop 5 yrs ago and have been making a living sewing animal costume accessories which, yes, include kitty ears in all colors of the rainbow. I'm married to a nerdy computer tech, and we have a fluffy little dog named Atticus.

I am a total introvert, and am intimidated by strangers in public, but love interacting with everyone in the SSSS community. You're all over there, safely behind my computer screen, unable to get at me if I don't want to be gotten at. :D  I didn't start commenting until a couple chapters in, but now I'm a complete addict. My husband said to me today, "You're reading your comic already? Oh, no, you're just reading the comments. Well, at least something can make you smile and giggle in the morning."
I have a disorder called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, MCS, which makes me have painful allergy-type reactions to most every artificial chemical I come into contact with, most notably fragrance, so I spend a lot of time in my house, alone, trying to stay away from the dangerous world. This community has kept my spirits up during the dreary winter months, and helped me feel connected and excited to get on and chat/read each day.

Thanks to everyone for making this such an awesome place to interact, and for keeping the trolls at bay with explosives. :D

P.s. I'm a shameless Lalli fangirl, and will be until the day I die. Fanart forthcoming.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico: