Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581154 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #4785 on: July 11, 2023, 11:47:43 PM »
Welcome again Glass! With your diverse interests you should fit right in here. And we are a far-flung community. I’m in country Australia, we have members in Brazil, the Phillipines, Japan,  New Zealand and scattered across Europe, Asia, Canada and the USA.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4786 on: July 15, 2023, 08:33:30 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Moredhel - is that a Raymond E. Feist reference for the username?

I read some Feist because people asked me exactly this. I did take it from Tolkien as I suspect Feist did too.

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4787 on: July 16, 2023, 05:51:43 AM »
I read some Feist because people asked me exactly this. I did take it from Tolkien as I suspect Feist did too.

Aye, no doubt he did - I tend to go with the Feist assumption purely because I've met fewer people using Sindarin than who've read his books. Though there have been vanashingly few of either I've come across.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Róisín

« Reply #4788 on: July 16, 2023, 01:16:08 PM »
I’ve read both. And yeah, it seems that few people have, sadly.

Glass

« Reply #4789 on: July 16, 2023, 01:57:15 PM »
Feist's Magician was actually the first fantasy book I ever read and it has stuck with me and my writing ever since. So I can roundly blame him for my favourite creative activity. Kind of.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4790 on: July 16, 2023, 02:07:53 PM »
Funny how bubbles of people go, I ”know” (from web spaces at least) much more people who know Sindarin than who know Feist. Or maybe it’s just that we discuss Sindarin more :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

sunreaver

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them, ae/aer
« Reply #4791 on: August 01, 2023, 10:18:15 PM »
*waves* hello... hi...!! i've never used a forum like this before i think. sorry lol

i just finished rereading SSSS (again) and felt really down about... you know... all of the stuff with minna and her new projects. this comic means a lot to me; i found it by surprise while lonely and without friends to talk to (we were going through a really rough patch. it's fine now) and the story just clicked with me. it was there for me when i needed something to hold onto. it's very near and dear to my heart, and it's deeply upsetting to know that minna doesn't seem to see the value in something that touched so many people's lives. it honestly broke my heart, especially while reading SSSS again.

sorry to be so negative. what i'm really here to say is that, after scrolling through the comments on the final page and feeling really down, i noticed how many people were inviting other readers to the forums. i knew the forums existed, but i didn't want to join... it's scary to put yourself out there lol. but i think after reading SSSS again, a year after it ended, i changed my mind. i want to talk about this comic with other people. i want to reach out!

i know the forums are still active, at least a little. so here i am...! sorry for writing such a long damn post lol i doubt others have written nearly as much as i have. i tend to get really wordy when it's not necessary. but anyway... hi? and nice to meet all of you :')
"in your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me... and i will be with you. always. for where else could i go? who else could i love but you?"
---
this morning, ae went to the park.
i went with aer.
and ae brought aer frisbee.
at least i think it was aers.
by the end of the day, ae started throwing the frisbee to aerself.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4792 on: August 02, 2023, 04:53:55 AM »
Hello and welcome sunreaver, it's nice to meet you too!

I know for me at least and probably for quite a few others here, SSSS was in our lives through some really difficult times and meant a lot to us. While the forums aren't as active as they were at SSSS's peak, we've still got plenty of community on here and people to talk to :)

If you find yourself struggling with forum navigation or posting different things feel free to reach out to me or ask on the forum and we can help you get a hold of it.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #4793 on: August 02, 2023, 06:33:23 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, sunreaver. Happy to talk about the comic or anything else. You may have noticed that the Forum ranges very widely!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4794 on: August 02, 2023, 08:40:26 AM »
Welcome,  sunreaver -- and don't worry, there are posts much longer than yours on this forum! I've written some of them.

Glass

« Reply #4795 on: August 02, 2023, 08:43:54 AM »
Ayo fellow newbie, similar experience of just not joining the forum until the end of things
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

dmeck7755

« Reply #4796 on: August 02, 2023, 11:21:10 AM »
Welcome sunreaver!!

We ain't dead yet....

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #4797 on: August 02, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
Welcome, sunreaver, and a hearty second to everything everyone else has said!

This forum has meant so much to so many of us - a source of information, of support and encouragement, and of sharing. The world is larger, richer, and closer to me because of this corner of the internet!

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

sunreaver

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them, ae/aer
« Reply #4798 on: August 02, 2023, 11:30:13 PM »
thank you, everyone! i feel welcome here already :') i like to check back throughout the day, so you'll more than likely see me around ^__^
"in your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me... and i will be with you. always. for where else could i go? who else could i love but you?"
---
this morning, ae went to the park.
i went with aer.
and ae brought aer frisbee.
at least i think it was aers.
by the end of the day, ae started throwing the frisbee to aerself.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4799 on: August 03, 2023, 08:55:48 AM »
Hello sunreaver and welcome!

Like Glass said, he’s also new so there are some pointers I wrote for him on the page before this one. So to avoid repeating myself, I just ask you to take a look at that :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.