Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580873 times)

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2015, 05:31:59 PM »
Welcome, Willkommen, Bienvenue, Benvenuti and many others !
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2015, 02:36:15 AM »
Hi, guys.
I've been reading SSSS and the comments since mid-June ish, but I tend just to lurk. The comments on this last page drew me out, though I've been meaning to drop in and say hi for a while now, as you guys are by far the nicest bunch I've encountered. Hopefully, I won't alter that.
So, about me:
I'm a year younger than Torbjorn, a native of Southern California now living on the Central Coast, an autodidact and a monoglot, dang it. I also have sesquipedalian tendencies due to a desire to ensure I communicate the precise message that I intended.
I was in the USAF for 6 years, during which time I was shuttled across the globe and back at their pleasure, so I've been a few places, but not a lot. Ironically, though, I've never been to Canada or to Mexico, our nearest neighbors, as circumstances have always derailed any plans I've made to visit there.
I tend to watch mostly pre-1970 movies, and sometimes make more or less oblique reference to those that I've seen.
That's about it.
*resumes lurking*

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2015, 02:40:39 AM »
Hello, LooNEY_DAC!  Another fan of foot-and-a-half-long words is always welcome here.

What does your forum nickname stand for? 

And is your icon a design for knitting, rosemaling, or the like?  We've already had some SSSS star-patterned oven cloths and T-shirts.  A few fans are even considering sweaters.  Minna welcome fanart, and probably fan-crafts and Maker Faire projects too!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2015, 03:14:05 AM »
Hello, LooNEY_DAC!  Another fan of foot-and-a-half-long words is always welcome here.

What does your forum nickname stand for? 

Well, a couple of decades ago, my dad was setting up AOL accounts for us all, and it kinda went like this:
Dad: (firstname)_(firstsyllableoflastname)
Older sister: (firstname)_(firstsyllableoflastname)
Younger sister: (firstname)_(firstsyllableoflastname)
Me: LooNEY_DAC

Do you remember the Looney Tunes shorts opening/closing from the 60s/70s where the O's became eyes and bounced downward a few times? That's kinda my inspiration. And DAC are my initials.

Oddly enough, this username is always open on boards for me to register with. I tried (firstname)_(lastname) on another board a while ago, but after it told me I'd need to add #s to the end, I went back to this, and it was free.

And is your icon a design for knitting, rosemaling, or the like?  We've already had some SSSS star-patterned oven cloths and T-shirts.  A few fans are even considering sweaters.  Minna welcome fanart, and probably fan-crafts and Maker Faire projects too!

Actually, it's a detail from a drawing I made in a style that I created because I can't draw.

Seriously, anything I draw freehand looks worse than the average four-year-old's stuff. So I started drawing geometric designs on graph paper. Ironically, I started putting a pattern that looks like the aRTD logo in my designs before I ever saw Minna's work.

I don't know how to knit, or make knitting patterns. My mom used to both knit and crochet, but her arthritis stopped her. I may have seen patterns in her magazines and unconsciously copied them.

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
Sunflower reminded me that I never actually introduced myself, so I'm sorry for creeping and lurking and denying my forum existance ;D

Well, here goes something.
Hello everyone, I am DzigaWatt, a silly young adult from Serbia, the same age as Fenris apparently, I dropped out of college after a run-in with mechanics, so I made a complete turnaround and am now striving to be a game designer, hence the interest in an art diploma. If anyone wants to know, I studied bio-mechanics for one year, I wanted one day to develop a new gen game console. Also, before that I went to a language high-school. I like to be extreme. I read books a lot, larp, write stories and draw them, love chocolate and long walks on the beach. I'm a tinker by nature and build stuff from time to time, well, mostly when I need something, so I build it instead of buying it. I came across Minna's artwork actually while I was searching for drawing pads, and one thing lead to another, I got hooked on her unique style and she's now my main inspiration to move to Scandinavia. As the meme goes, soon...
Oh, and I enjoy the forum a lot, but rarely participate because, well, I kind of don't know how to talk to people. But you guys are great and stay lively like that :D
Sorry for the late and long introduction ;D
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Bouncey

« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
Ooooo, first post ever on a Forum!!! I'm Helenatroy, sister to LooNEY_DAC. In November last year, he sat me down in front of my computer and showed me SSSS. He explained quite a bit, and I was somewhat confused but hooked. I have lurked in the comments but never posted until last night (whyyyyy?) and was invited to the forum.... I'm 41 and live 3 miles west of Disneyland in California. I speak American only (despite 2 years of high school Spanish) but I watch Dr. Who and Sherlock, so I'm getting a handle on English too  ;). I'm a massage therapist, a vision therapist, a caregiver, a singer, a ringer (of handbells), an amazingly prolific procrastinator....crafty... what else? Forgetful... Anyway, Hello All!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:21:03 AM by Helenatroy »

P__

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:15 AM »
Welcome to you, all the new people I hadn't yet greeted :D nice to have you here
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
BTW, Eich, are you Lan, Amp, Mil, or unsure of what I'm referencing?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2015, 03:33:39 AM »
Ooooo, first post ever on a Forum!!! I'm Helenatroy, sister to LooNEY_DAC. In November last year, he sat me down in front of my computer and showed me SSSS. He explained quite a bit, and I was somewhat confused but hooked.

I have lurked in the comments but never posted until last night (whyyyyy?) and was invited to the forum.... I'm a massage therapist, a vision therapist, a caregiver, a singer, a ringer (of handbells), an amazingly prolific procrastinator....crafty...
Anyway, Hello All!

Welcome, Helenatroy!  I think you and Looney are the first sibling pair we've signed up.  But you're far from the only newcomer to fandoms and forums.  I used to think all that Interwebs stuff was just for mouth-breathers still living in their mommas' basements to have nasty flame wars on.  Then I discovered SSSS!  O, I once was blind and now I see...  ;)

I'm pleased to find another handbell ringer.  I've been in my church's handbell choir for more than 7 years.  Unfortunately, we're very understaffed, most of our members aren't trained musicians, and we only rehearse 90 minutes a week, so we're not very advanced.  Still, I cherish hopes of arranging music for handbells... once I brush up on my solfège skills... so you might have some useful tips for me!

And if you sing, you might be interested in joining the group making an SSSS musical.  Or, share some of your favorite music, whether SSSS-related or not.  Unsurprisingly, a lot of creative people gravitate here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:42:26 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2015, 05:36:31 AM »
I live in the U.S. but my mother (who also reads as well as introduced me to this comic) is from the same place as Origami Owl.
*only just realised*
OOH! Nice to hear! :D :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
*only just realised*
OOH! Nice to hear! :D :D

;D ;D  ;D
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Dagnir

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2015, 04:22:33 AM »
Greetings fellow readers!

Here's to more adventures and a gorgeous year!

I'm Dagnir on disqus as well, for those few who will remember my couple comments.

Hey all (again)!

So, now that I finally found some time to actually write a proper introduction post, here goes:

I'm a 21 year old Biomedical Engineer from Greece who loves anime, comics and RPGs (mostly MMO, both RL and online).

That's all for now I guess!

PS: I'm not shy or anything, don't get me wrong. My friends know me as a open book; and as such you'll have to ask me stuff before I know what you want to know and let you know... xP
Those who walk against the wind will always walk alone.

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
Hello! I am Eris. I have been reading SSSS for a while, and I joined the forum a while ago, but I never knew what to post! I didn't know there was an introduction thread, so I didn't post in it. Now, however, I see there is one, so I shall post in it! I am from the Midwest in the USA. I'm a gamer and a nerd. I'm trying to learn Japanese, but I'm not very successful. I love role-playing games, both computer and tabletop. I also love, love, love to travel, so you'd all better be careful or you'll find me on your doorstep someday carting some role-playing books with me. Mwahahaha! That's really all I can think of right now.

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
I believe I speak for the majority when I say "Welcome all, have a nice stay, please help yourselves to some cookies :D"
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
Eris, you might want to check out the Languages Forum. I don't know if there is anybody else learning Japanese, but introduce yourself, you may find a fellow-student.

Also, welcome to the forum. :)
My one-and-only: :uk: