Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581086 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to add that I'm really into knitting and spinning. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
So, after a long period of inactivity on the forums, I'm FINALLY AWAKE!!!

Heyo, fellow readers, I am asdasdasd (or immortallymortal, if you prefer that). I am your typical Hannu-ish male from India (Well, mostly Hannu-ish. I don't have his awesome memory. Heck! I cant even remember the names of my closest family members!). I love giving digital cookies but don't even know how to make tea. I am 15, lazy, anti-social, short tempered and slightly ADHD. I love reading, and am a terrible artist.
I forgot what i was going to say...
Anyways, I think that's enough and hope you  all like me!
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2015, 10:44:11 PM »
Since Sunflower asked so nicely, I'll introduce myself as well.

Of course a self-introduction goes into self-reflection and all that, but I digress and pick random facts.

I'm a Finnish/German nerd currently living in Florida. I do network engineering for a living, though my academic credentials are in physics and political science.

My primary passions are photography, role playing (the pen-and-paper kind) and reading, but beyond that I keep dashing from interest to interest (amateur radio, electronics, Aikido, diving etc.)

As to languages, I did study Japanese for quite a while, but have fairly little to show for it, aside from an appreciation for the language. The others I learned in school or home, and am trying to vaguely keep up with; I understand German and Swedish fairly well, but I can't write either anymore.

The icon/avatar is a character from an old D&D game drawn by my GM, but it also fits my nickname so seemed appropriate for here :-)
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Ammerynth

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
Whoopsies, I forgot about this place after making an account :P
Hello fellow Irish person, and welcome! I'm not good at introductions either, heh heh. I myself have also begun to learn Swedish, with the aim of one day moving there. Are you enjoying learning it so far?
Hello! Yes, it's been really fun to learn so far, but the rolled-r is giving me some trouble :( I'm sure I'll be able to do it eventually, though... I've only been learning for two months, after all. How long have you been doing it for?

Since Sunflower asked so nicely, I'll introduce myself as well.

Of course a self-introduction goes into self-reflection and all that, but I digress and pick random facts.

I'm a Finnish/German nerd currently living in Florida. I do network engineering for a living, though my academic credentials are in physics and political science.

My primary passions are photography, role playing (the pen-and-paper kind) and reading, but beyond that I keep dashing from interest to interest (amateur radio, electronics, Aikido, diving etc.)

As to languages, I did study Japanese for quite a while, but have fairly little to show for it, aside from an appreciation for the language. The others I learned in school or home, and am trying to vaguely keep up with; I understand German and Swedish fairly well, but I can't write either anymore.

The icon/avatar is a character from an old D&D game drawn by my GM, but it also fits my nickname so seemed appropriate for here :-)

So, after a long period of inactivity on the forums, I'm FINALLY AWAKE!!!

Heyo, fellow readers, I am asdasdasd (or immortallymortal, if you prefer that). I am your typical Hannu-ish male from India (Well, mostly Hannu-ish. I don't have his awesome memory. Heck! I cant even remember the names of my closest family members!). I love giving digital cookies but don't even know how to make tea. I am 15, lazy, anti-social, short tempered and slightly ADHD. I love reading, and am a terrible artist.
I forgot what i was going to say...
Anyways, I think that's enough and hope you  all like me!

I kind of dove in with the comments and the forum and didn't realize there was an Introduction Thread! So, here goes!

Hi! I am older than Torbjörn, but younger than Taru. I am a stay-at-home mom for my small son, who has a lot of developmental issues. I graduated with a degree in Studio Art many years ago and worked as a web designer for 10 years. In between those two, I lived in Japan on the JET program to help teach English. Somehow I stumbled on A Redtail's Dream about two years ago and remembered seeing the page for SSSS before it started, but didn't come back to it again until I saw the language tree and Nordic cats floating around on the internet. (Then I spent about two days catching up.) All of this inspires me to get back to drawing again, which is awesome.

I'm fluent in American English and have everyday knowledge of Japanese, but I'm nowhere near fluent. I think Finnish would be kind of cool to learn.

Greetings fellow readers!

Here's to more adventures and a gorgeous year!

I'm Dagnir on disqus as well, for those few who will remember my couple comments.

Well, I suppose introductions are in order... I'm a Swede born and bred, old enough to be the father of the majority here (I've only got two kids last time I checked, though). I stumbled across SSSS thanks to a link over at Dumbing of Age, and as I have a 30+ years old interest in post-apocalyptic stories, I was instantly hooked. My username refers to an interest in how to survive the breakdown of society, combined with the sad fact that I haven't been arsed to put together a decent survival kit. :P Anyway, this forum seems friendly enough; I guess the mods smoke out any trolls with flamethrowers... ;) See you around!

Hello all of you, even if I am a bit late :P
Native: :uk:
Learning: :france: :sweden:
Survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:

Chandrajak

• Super-Newbie
  • Through the looking glass
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
*peeks in* Heeeello there - I may have fallen head over heels for SSSS in less than three days, although I've discovered the related board only this evening. I found very intriguing the discussions going on between readers and I really didn't expect such a variety of languages; being the huge nerd about language learning that I am, I couldn't resist the temptation. Thus, here I am!

I'm an Italian 21 - years - old girl, currently studying modern cultures and languages at the university of Padua and hoping to graduate on time. I was born and grew up in Northern Italy, and I'd like to travel a lot more than I was allowed so far. I have a deep love for books, role - playing and writing, if and when uni doesn't try to squish me between terms. I'm mostly proficient in English, I'm re - learning Spanish and I'm going to take up Portuguese in a couple of years. I've had some experience with German and French, but unfortunately I've lost most of them both in middle school. Also, I've studied Japanese for a couple of years, and I'm determined to get back to it. I'm fascinated by cultures and anthropology, as well as dystopic fiction, sci - fi and fantasy. You could say that SSSS was, for me, love at first sight. And it's spiralled into an addiction more quickly than I thought!

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
*peeks in* Heeeello there - I may have fallen head over heels for SSSS in less than three days, although I've discovered the related board only this evening. I found very intriguing the discussions going on between readers and I really didn't expect such a variety of languages; being the huge nerd about language learning that I am, I couldn't resist the temptation. Thus, here I am!

I'm an Italian 21 - years - old girl, currently studying modern cultures and languages at the university of Padua and hoping to graduate on time. I was born and grew up in Northern Italy, and I'd like to travel a lot more than I was allowed so far. I have a deep love for books, role - playing and writing, if and when uni doesn't try to squish me between terms. I'm mostly proficient in English, I'm re - learning Spanish and I'm going to take up Portuguese in a couple of years. I've had some experience with German and French, but unfortunately I've lost most of them both in middle school. Also, I've studied Japanese for a couple of years, and I'm determined to get back to it. I'm fascinated by cultures and anthropology, as well as dystopic fiction, sci - fi and fantasy. You could say that SSSS was, for me, love at first sight. And it's spiralled into an addiction more quickly than I thought!

Hi there, welcome to the community! You are definitely not alone in your addiction; it took me only a couple days as well :))
Which reminds me, you might like the "You Know You're an SSSS Addict When..." thread if you haven't found it already! (even if you have, it's a great thread nonetheless)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Hello there fellow Italian! (Gaahhh, will ONE of them stick around? I feel a bit lonely here) Welcome to the most best place in the world! Remember to join the chat, recognize one of us (Preferably me) as the future Ruler of the World (seriously, it will be me), donate some blood for the offerings to our Overlord and join in the chat! :3
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
I made an account on these forums more or less as soon as they started, but I figured I'd try to be more active, since y'all seem like great people, and lots of interesting things get discussed around here. I found the comic in the break between the prologue and chapter 1, and since then I think there have been about 5 days when I haven't read each new page that day. I'm not going to go too far into detail about why I think it's so awesome, since you all know that.

About me: I'm in England, on my first year of university in Cornwall studying Evolutionary Biology, which I'm really enjoying. As well as biology, obviously, I'm really interested in mythology and fiction of all kinds. Languages seems to be the passion of the forums, and I'm really interested in them, but I really haven't had any luck learning languages in the past. I have very basic French, Latin, and Greek from school, and I know the Korean alphabet, but that's it. I'm not saying that there aren't many extremely talented multi-linguists in England, but I strongly believe that the language learning system, and the language learning culture over here is very weak. That, and I'm quite lazy.

Anyway, even though I've had very brief conversations with some of you in the comments over the months, I wouldn't expect any of you to remember that, so I look forward to getting to know you all for real.

Chandrajak

• Super-Newbie
  • Through the looking glass
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2015, 03:33:17 AM »
Hi there, welcome to the community! You are definitely not alone in your addiction; it took me only a couple days as well :))
Which reminds me, you might like the "You Know You're an SSSS Addict When..." thread if you haven't found it already! (even if you have, it's a great thread nonetheless)

Hi and thanks! I'm going to check out the thread right away!

Hello there fellow Italian! (Gaahhh, will ONE of them stick around? I feel a bit lonely here) Welcome to the most best place in the world! Remember to join the chat, recognize one of us (Preferably me) as the future Ruler of the World (seriously, it will be me), donate some blood for the offerings to our Overlord and join in the chat! :3

Ciao °*^*° in effetti ho deciso di iscrivermi proprio perché ho visto il tuo thread sulle lingue "romantiche", quindi...sentiti responsabile, Overlord! 
(Tr: Hi! Actually, I decided to join the forum because I saw your thread about "romantic" languages, so...feel responsible, Overlord!)

Joking aside, thank you for welcoming me.

Also, hello to you, asadderandawiserman! Welcome!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »

Is that... Is that M.C.A. Hogarth. o_o *fangirls a bit*
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
Oh! there is an introduction page! Here it goes:

Hello! I am Kahli. (pronounced "kaH-lee) I have been around for a little while but never noticed this page of the forum. oops. I live in the U.S. but my mother (who also reads as well as introduced me to this comic) is from the same place as Origami Owl. Lalli and Emil are 4 years older than me at the moment. I like making stories and drawing. Currently I am working on two webcomics I started making a while ago, it will be a while before either is ready to start putting online though. Some of the other fandoms I like are: Harry potter, Percy Jackson, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Sherlock and Star Wars.  ;D
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
I go by the moniker wavewright62, which should give you a fat clue about my age. I am a bilingual Estonian-American by birth, now living in New Zealand.  I have always been a lover of good cartooning and animation,  and have only just tuned in to Minna's worlds.  I'm delighted that Minna indicates a post-Rash survival of Estonian in her language tree, most likely through multilingual Finns.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Zenara

• Useless fangirl/artist here.
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
HELLO YES I DID NOT SEE THIS HERE
I JUST SORT OF WENT TO TALKING ABOUT MY FAV NERDS
I AM AN ARTIST BUT SPEND WAY TOO MUCH TIME ENGAGED IN USELESS FANGIRLING AND DRAGON UNIVERSES BECAUSE I DRAW DRAGONS.
(I also respond to CosmicSlug101)

Varjohaltia

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
Is that... Is that M.C.A. Hogarth. o_o *fangirls a bit*

My, why yes it is. She was my tabletop RPG DM in the ancient distant past. The image is a scan of a convention badge thing she did for me back when. Small world?
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Pythia

« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »
Hello!! I'm Jas. I've actually been lurking around for quite a while, but never really dared to actually sign up until now, so. Here I am! I'm from Germany and I like languages and history.
I discovered the comic only recently through an ad on a dragon site and kinda ended up reading through the whole thing in one day. I probably need help? But either way, the SSSS community is super nice from what I've seen so far! So excited to finally get involved.