Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581102 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3660 on: December 30, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Hi Róisín - Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to be here after many registration attempts. Once more, pig-headedness pays off.

The avatar is a cropped screenshot from ARtD, Puppy-fox looking smug. I wanted to use a photo I'd taken, but it wasn't clear enough for a cramped little avatar:

Edit: It took me soooo long to figure out how to embed that darn image without signing up for some image hosting service!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:01:55 PM by Vulpes »
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3661 on: December 30, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
Welcome, Vulpes! I'm glad you made it onto the forum despite all the error messages. Cute fox pic :D A bit of cropping and resizing might work for an avatar, but that might be a lot of work
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3662 on: December 30, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi everyone
Hi Vulpes , glad you could join us here :D :squirrelcookie:
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

peeweevireo

« Reply #3663 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
Hi, Vulpes! Nice fox theme you have going on. Did you ever go on one of minna's twitch streams, by any chance?

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3664 on: December 31, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »
Thanks for making me feel welcome!

I tried to crop the fox photo, but the resolution just isn't there - people have a hard enough time recognizing it as a fox at full size, perhaps because it's not the usual red, but also because it was a quick shot with a cell phone camera.

The fox theme dates from my camera forum days - I wanted the username 'digitalis', but was too late, it was taken. So I went for the common name of digitalis, 'foxglove'. When I decided to join up here and Disqus, I dropped the glove (sooorry! Couldn't resist the lame pun.) and used the genus for our local foxes. That of course gave me the perfect Minna-related avatar, when my own photo just didn't cut it.

I've looked briefly into the twitch streams, but we live in the woods (the fox in the photo had just walked across the yard) and have slightly hiccupy internet as a result. It's a little frustrating.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3665 on: December 31, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »
Welcome, and let me congratulate you on a successful outcome for your "insanity." 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3666 on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »
Thanks!  I think computers require a certain amount of insanity, it does seem like you can 'fix' many computer problems by trying over and over and over...  :))

IntensiTea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3667 on: January 05, 2019, 04:31:49 AM »
I... am not sure how to do this, I'm quite terrible at introductions unless there's some sort of fill-in-the-blank. Um, I'm 21 years old, female, American (West Coast), discovered SSSS after stumbling across its TV Tropes page, devouring the whole thing out of a snowballing curiosity, and then racing over to the comic itself even though 1.) I've never been much of a webcomic girl, and 2.) the postapocalyptic genre has always made me exceedingly anxious.

I'm probably jumping the gun a bit by signing up for the forum, as I haven't even finished SSSS yet (much to the confusion of my friend who asked me "Are you STILL reading that comic??" the other day... she was shocked when I told her just how much comic there was to read) Still, I became so obsessed so quickly that... I don't know, this seemed like the thing to do? Even though I haven't been on a forum for anything since the eighth grade?

I'm honestly more than a little nervous about joining, because I am the sort of person who cares much too much what others think of me and worries endlessly about breaking unwritten rules and irritating people, but it's not as if I have anyone to talk about SSSS with in person, so... here I am.
My humblest apologies for my American-ness.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3668 on: January 05, 2019, 06:13:43 AM »
Hello and welcome to the Forum, IntensiTea! You should be fine here: we're a friendly bunch, and very diverse and inclusive, as well as being scattered all over the planet and coming from all manner of different cultures and nationalities. I'm sure you will find many things to talk about and many folk to talk to as you explore the many threads of the Forum.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3669 on: January 05, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »
Welcome, IntensiTea! I like your avatar! Seconding what Róisín said, and I think having a community from different cultures all over the world helps people be pretty understanding whenever someone accidentally breaks unwritten rules, so no need to stress :)
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3670 on: January 08, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #3671 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »
That's what I get for not checking the forum regularly...

A warm welcome to Snow, Taxx, Nova, Sellenair, Jom, Solokov, Guacamikkel, Nellie, Failed Forerunner, Bhaskara, Salem, Peewee, Vulpes, IntensiTea and everybody whom I might have missed and who joined since I last visited this thread!

(Some of you I already know from the commentariat and/or the streams, but gotta do this properly, y'know.)

And I promise to stop by more often!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:12:39 PM by RanVor »

sundara

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • living out a quiet existence
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3672 on: January 23, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
i'm very wonky when it comes to introductions so apologies in advance!
i'm sundara but feel free to call me whatever, i'm from the northwest of the U.S. but incidentally don't like cold weather all that much. i'm two years from graduating high school and would like to get a degree in wildlife biology/ecology or illustration if i end up going to university. i've recently caught up with reading ssss, and have started reading artd.
i'm pretty shy and tend to lurk on forums but i'm always down for talking! everyone here seems really cool and i'm glad to meet you all!
native: english 
learning: german, japanese
understand but don't speak: arabic (egyptian)
wants to learn: turkish, hindi
"in time you'll learn that 'just' and 'right' only mean the same thing when they're coming from very specific people. please don't cry." -amrit brar

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3673 on: January 23, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
Welcome sundara, from one habitual lurker to another.  :D  Have you considered combining your interests in biology and illustration, and doing biological illustrations? It's a bit of a dying art. Drawing something accurately is a great way to learn about it, and a clear illustration can be far more useful than a photograph.

sundara

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • living out a quiet existence
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3674 on: January 23, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
thank you vulpes!
i've definitely considered it. whether or not thats what i end up doing, i have no clue, so i'll just have to wait and see i guess!
native: english 
learning: german, japanese
understand but don't speak: arabic (egyptian)
wants to learn: turkish, hindi
"in time you'll learn that 'just' and 'right' only mean the same thing when they're coming from very specific people. please don't cry." -amrit brar