Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580825 times)

decemberwynn

• Super-Newbie
  • I like making things
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3180 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:47 AM »
Hello, and thank you very much for hosting an introduction thread. My name is December, and I'm excited to join this forum after lurking on it for a number of months. I am quite the SSSS fan, and I've enjoyed anonymously reading through many of the forum's threads. In life I am a professional craftsperson/fabric painter and dyer, and I pursue costuming and cosplay as a hobby. I am soon going to start a SSSS costume, and I hope to utilize and add to the fantastic arts/crafts/cosplay threads on the forum. I hope to use this costume as a chance to increase my hand embroidery skills! My other hobbies include woodworking, leatherworking, knitting, kayaking and reading. Thank you!
native :usa:
conversational :norway:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3181 on: September 07, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3182 on: September 07, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
December, hello and welcome! There should be lots to interest you here - many of us are into crafts, and we look forward to seeing how your projects turn out!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3183 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Hi, December, I echo Róisín in that I hope to see you post photos of your work (and hope that is precisely why you have stopped lurking!).  Your avatar says it all.

Hi to Kis/Ira, you'll find many of us profess to being awkward in person, but seem to do all right in here.  I suspect that has a lot to do with the Forum's culture of (generally) thoughtful sharing.  Also, the written format allows a person for whom English is a second language to go through the comments slowly and take their time to formulate a response.  And when words fail, the visual threads (the sundry Art Museums, the SSSS Memes & Edits and The Pictures thread) are there as well to help communicate.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

decemberwynn

• Super-Newbie
  • I like making things
« Reply #3184 on: September 08, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Jacob, Róisín, Wavewright - thank you so much for the warm welcome  :)
native :usa:
conversational :norway:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3185 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
Lazy8, that is an extremely silly looking dragon fruit! I grow them (though not ones that look like that!). Mine are really suffering from the cold at present, but hopefully will survive to fruit in summer.

And Lucy, that is a delightful derivation for a username.

Róisín, I didn't know you grow dragon fruit!  (But I shouldn't be surprised -- you seem to have a subtropical Garden of Eden going.)  I can barely even imagine how those candy-colored things grow.  Are they like pineapples?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Róisín

« Reply #3186 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »
Not like pineapples (I have those too, but have to keep them, and the dragon fruit, in the greenhouse or the sunroom in winter. The vanilla orchid never leaves the greenhouse or sunroom). Because even if our summers are beastly hot, we can and do get snow, sleet and hail in winter. Pineapple will grow on a sunny porch for most of the year, just needs cover for the bitter part of winter - it's a bromeliad. What I really need is one of those Victorian-era pineapple houses, with the manure pits, like at Heligan.

Dragon fruit (Hylocereus species, mine is probably H. undatus or a hybrid thereof) are a twining/climbing cactus, with long angular stems that can grow a couple of metres tall before drooping over at the top. Only the drooping stems flower and bear fruit. The flowers are gorgeous, rather like those of their distant (or not so distant, depending which botanist you argue with) relative, Selenicereus or Queen of the Night cactus, and are followed by large edible fruit with those scale-like persistent sepal thingies, hence 'dragon fruit'. Mine is the kind with pink skin and white flesh studded with tiny black crunchy seeds. I had the sort with dark red flesh, which has a stronger, sweeter taste, but my plant died in a cold winter.

Wouldn't mind if we were subtropical, but we have hot dry summers with bushfires, and freezing winters. I need a greenhouse to grow some things, a shadehouse for others, until storms tear them apart and I have to bring plants into the house. I live at the Adelaide Hills end of South Australia's Barossa Valley, and our always extreme climate seems to be becoming more so. At the moment (early spring) our most prominent crop is weeds!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3187 on: September 09, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Welcome aboard Decemberwynn! Echoing the sentiment from others regarding seeing your work!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #3188 on: September 09, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
It's been far too long since I've last been on...

So a (in some cases very) belated welcome to Caro, GunmanRex, CXuesong, elekia, Delightified, KiffyBee, keitto-kettu, dbrodz, CAMIR, October Sky, Seriema, North_Satsuma, PeregrineWillow, Mentha_spicata, Drekaavoxtur, Kis, and decemberwynn!

Drekaavoxtur, ahhhhh I really want to learn Japanese but all I know is some random hiragana and how to say random phrases.
Kis/Ira, as others already said, you don't have to worry about being shy here. Join the community of shy, awkward people!
December, I would love to see your work. It sounds so interesting!
And Róisín, one of my great goals in life is to get the chance to see your garden ;)
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Róisín

« Reply #3189 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
Auxivele, if you get to Australia, that would be fun! I only have a third of an acre, but it is very densely planted.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #3190 on: September 09, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Auxivele, if you get to Australia, that would be fun! I only have a third of an acre, but it is very densely planted.
I would love to return to Australia. I don't know if/when it would happen, but I fell in love with the country when I went (almost a decade ago... That's half my life! The time it's been, not the decade. I'm still a youngin). I've only been to the Blue Mountains and the Sydney area, but I definitely want to explore the rest.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3191 on: September 10, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
Welcome all! It's been an eternity since I've been on so there's.... a few too many people to welcome individually.

Róisín, I echo Auxivele's sentiment about your garden. In fact, I'd love to one day take you up on your year old offer to go to a reenactment one day! But alas right now I'm on about the opposite side of the world.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Róisín

« Reply #3192 on: September 10, 2017, 05:48:00 AM »
If either of you ever are coming out, let me know. Accomodation is pretty basic (swag by the fire), but the food is good. If you are too creaky for a swag, there is a motel within a short walk, and quite a few B&Bs within a few kilometres. We live in a small town in a wine/food/landscape tourist area, so lots of places to stay.

Roulietta

• DeviantArt
  • Hapless ham-fisted French
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3193 on: September 11, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
Hello Hello !

I'm a fan from France, currently changing of works... (I swear I didn't get fired !). :D
I've discovered SSSS because my best friend stuck me in front of her computer and said "READ ITTTTTTTT". No regrets *-*

I'm already happy to meet you all :D
Default settings: :france:
Oddly more or less mastered : :uk:
Studied it five years and still can't speak a word: :spain:
Seriously studying and can swear in this language: :german:

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3194 on: September 11, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Hello Hello !

I'm a fan from France, currently changing of works... (I swear I didn't get fired !). :D
I've discovered SSSS because my best friend stuck me in front of her computer and said "READ ITTTTTTTT". No regrets *-*

I'm already happy to meet you all :D
Hello and welcome to the forum Roulietta :D Your friend sounds like a very wise person
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: