Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580878 times)

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3105 on: July 13, 2017, 02:49:16 AM »
Hello dear SSSS board!
Welcome CAMIR :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #3106 on: July 13, 2017, 07:01:04 AM »
Welcome to all that I've missed! <3

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3107 on: July 13, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
Thanks for all the other nice welcomes here.  :-* @ Purple Wyrm, GunmanRex, JacobThomsen and Abprallen. *waves*
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3108 on: July 13, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
Welcome CAMIR!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3109 on: July 13, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
Guitar, electric bass, clarinet, and (some) of keyboard/piano!
whoa, this is really an impressive list! By myself, I can only play guitar and piano (and on those on which I can understand the logic between my actions and the instrument, hahah)  :)

Hey Guys! My names Dylan.
https://soundcloud.com/thewanderingcomposer/goodbye-tuuri-tuonela
Okay, Dylan, it was hurt. But beautiful. But hurt. The sound of footsteps, the sound of waves, sounds as if from under the water... I like it!  :'D
Hæ and welcome on the forum!

Hæ and welcome, CAMIR! I hope that your thesis is alright! And what is it exactly about? It's very interesting to me :з
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3110 on: July 13, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Hello dear SSSS board!
After two weeks of lurking I finally decided to jump into the cold water and register. I really got to the comic about three weeks ago after having the link sit in my bookmark list of my browser far too long. A friend had recommended it to me because he moved to Sweden and knew I am doing Scandinavian studies. Right now while writing my master's thesis I rediscovered the link in an attempt to procrastinate (I had blocked all my usual procrastination pages). Well... I started reading again (after starting the Prologue and losing interest twice) and binged the whole thing in about two days. That was not healthy for my thesis but here I am fully infected.
I am happy do be here now and am looking forward to nice discussions and cool insights. :)

What is Scandinavian studies and why is it a thing?

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #3111 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »
Hey to all again! CAMIR, welcome! Scandinavian studies sound very interesting! Tell you a little bit more?
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3112 on: July 14, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
CAMIR would be best to tell you, but I assume Scandinavian studies as an academic discipline is akin to American studies, which focus on the historical and evolving cultural systems which underlie the legal, political, and social fabric of America.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3113 on: July 14, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
Wow so many questions. :D Thanks guys!

@heiteru: I am analyzing images of 'North' in Fantasy texts that create imagined worlds (like Tolkien's Middle Earth, but I am not analyzing Tolkien). How is this room "North" created? What clichés and topoi are used for this? (Like: It's a cold place, people have blond hair and blue eyes, everybody is free and so on...) and then compare these topoi with how "North" has been created in our world from antiquity to early modern times. And it turns out that the Fantasy texts are heavily based on these assumptions.

@ Fimbulvarg and Prizrachniy_Gek: Basically what waveright62 said: The German word for this studies is "Skandinavistik" so I am really not quite sure how to translate correctly. Our department focuses on Scandinavian history, culture, literature and language. One needs to learn at least one continental Scandinavian language and be able to understad the other two. Most courses require to read literature in the original language and if the topic is for example "Scandinavian Science Fiction" the texts come from all three continental Scandinavian countries and one should be able to read and understand all of them. In addition there is the requirement to learn Old Norse and to work with old Norse texts (my focus.) Some other departments also include Finland/Finnish language but ours doesn't. Also the focus on linguistics is not particulary big.

@ waveright62: That's it basically. A philology. I did American studies before and liked it. But I felt I needed to learn more about Scandinavia.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3114 on: July 14, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »
CAMIR, whoa, for me it sounds perfect  XoX
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #3115 on: July 14, 2017, 09:52:38 PM »
Hello!  I just started reading and got through the whole thing in a few days (I picked a hell of a time didn't I?)  My first exposure to the comic was through my friend's tumblr, but I actually started reading after that NPR article a few days ago.

My name is Jacob, I'm 16 and have lived in Seattle, Washington my whole life.  I'm currently in high school and assuming everything goes right, I intend to go into engineering in college.  My hobbies are mostly technical theatre and rocketry. 

Thats probably about all that you need to know, you seem like good people generally and I'm looking forward to talking to you more
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3116 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:23 PM »
Hello!  I just started reading and got through the whole thing in a few days (I picked a hell of a time didn't I?)  My first exposure to the comic was through my friend's tumblr, but I actually started reading after that NPR article a few days ago.

My name is Jacob, I'm 16 and have lived in Seattle, Washington my whole life.  I'm currently in high school and assuming everything goes right, I intend to go into engineering in college.  My hobbies are mostly technical theatre and rocketry. 

Thats probably about all that you need to know, you seem like good people generally and I'm looking forward to talking to you more

Welcome, Jacob!  I was curious whether the NPR story would bring in more visitors.  You'll fit right in, with plenty of other people interested in engineering, theater, and/or rocketry.  (I'm assuming that's what your user-name comes from?)  In fact, I believe there were some discussion threads from the early days about what it would take for the SSSS world to re-establish aviation and/or rocketry.  And SectoBoss wrote an amazing story about the last spaceflight in Y0 and the heart-wrenching fate of the astronauts on it. 

Wander around the place until you feel at home.  Anybody here is happy to answer questions. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #3117 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:26 AM »
Welcome, Jacob!  I was curious whether the NPR story would bring in more visitors.  You'll fit right in, with plenty of other people interested in engineering, theater, and/or rocketry.  (I'm assuming that's what your user-name comes from?)  In fact, I believe there were some discussion threads from the early days about what it would take for the SSSS world to re-establish aviation and/or rocketry.  And SectoBoss wrote an amazing story about the last spaceflight in Y0 and the heart-wrenching fate of the astronauts on it. 

Wander around the place until you feel at home.  Anybody here is happy to answer questions.

You would be correct in that guess (I was also born in october so there's that)!  And like I said, you mostly have my friend to thank, I wouldn't have clicked on it otherwise!  I'll definitely look into that story. You can also possibly expect some art from me in the future if I ever manage to draw something that doesn't totally suck.
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #3118 on: July 15, 2017, 01:36:35 AM »
CAMIR, its sound very interesting! I want make Scandinavian studies too, but in the context journalism. But not this year.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3119 on: July 15, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »
Hello! 
Welcome to the forum Jacob :D (nice name you got there)
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: