Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581144 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #2700 on: October 22, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
Jharad/Rachel, hello and welcome! I had noticed you in the comments, and hope you'll find the Forum as interesting!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2701 on: October 22, 2016, 04:56:05 AM »
Please, take a welcome cookie Jharad :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2702 on: October 22, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »
Welcome Jharad17!

Have you tried uploading the picture again? (You might need to flip it in an image editor on your computer first)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2703 on: October 22, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »
Hello all, I just joined the forum yesterday, though I've been reading SSSS for a few months now. I'm Rachel McGonagill in the comic commentariat, but I use this handle most places. I'm in the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, but grew up in New England.

I don't travel much anymore, with my own and my husband's health issues, but I did spend a glorious summer backpacking through Europe long ago in the before time. Did not make it to Scandinavia, which I now regret; it's so beautiful.

Oh, and my profile pic is upside down. How can I fix that?

Welcome! :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2704 on: October 22, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »
Hello all, I just joined the forum yesterday
Welcome Jharad17
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2705 on: October 23, 2016, 02:59:18 AM »
Hæ and welcome to the forum, Jharad17! And I think that your upside down profile pic cat is amazing and funny :))
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2706 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
Welcome Jharad17!

Have you tried uploading the picture again? (You might need to flip it in an image editor on your computer first)

I thought of trying that, but haven't tried it yet . . . No time like present, eh?

And thank you to all of you for the kind welcome!

ETA: blo@dy hell! Tried flipping the image in my tablet, and it still loaded upside down. Even tried two other pics of my cats, flipping before and after . . . but, well, you see the avatar that finally worked. Eheh.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:18:28 PM by Jharad17 »
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2707 on: October 23, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
Hæ and welcome to the forum, Jharad17! And I think that your upside down profile pic cat is amazing and funny :))

Yeah, I considered just leaving it, but Pounce (the feline in question) kept giving me looks. Meaningful looks.  :)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2708 on: October 25, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
Yeah, I considered just leaving it, but Pounce (the feline in question) kept giving me looks. Meaningful looks.  :)
You could ... Upside-Down-Ternet yourself? :3
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2709 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »

Best!  Thank you for a great laugh for my morning.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2710 on: October 25, 2016, 04:51:35 PM »

Ok, that's awesome. Most best even. :)

gaeilal

« Reply #2711 on: October 30, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
Hello.  I was sent here via another link in the forum, so I will comply and attempt to introduce myself.

Gaeila is my real middle name.  I live in Nashville, TN, United States.  I have degrees from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, (a BBA, which is essentially an MBA.  Same teachers and texts as the MBA program) Tennessee State University (Top honors in Biochemistry and record GRE scores.  Head-hunted all over the country for advanced degree programs)  Was in the Ph.D./M.D. Molecular Pharmacology program at Vanderbilt University (full scholarship plus stipend plus bonunes to lure me from San Francisco).

And then I got hit by a truck.  Completely disabled, and physically unable to perform lab work any more.  It is a shame, because if that had not happened, we MIGHT now have much better treatments for serious burns (one of my research interests) and pain relief (another research interest.)  It is lucky for me that childhood conditioning has made me a bit OCD about wearing seatbelts, because if I hadn't been wearing one, I definitely would have died.

I have expertise in quite a few disparate areas.  Here are some of them:
1.  Medical areas, both research and practical
2.  Cooking.  I was the food writer for The Knoxville Journal; a real job with a real newspaper for which I was paid real money.
3.  Feline breeding and health care.  I bred Siamese, then Tonkinese kittens on a very small scale for many years.
http://www.tonkinesekitten.com/   (no ads, cute kitten pictures, NO kittens for sale at this time.)
4.  Music and song-writing.  Years of piano lessons, self-taught on guitar, both classical and steel string.  I was good enough to receive many invitations to join the Bluebird's Writer's Night; to perform at fund-raisers, and two pages in a book called "Looking for #1--Portraits and Passions of Nashville Songwriters".

I've lived in New York City; New York suburbs; small-town Michigan; Westport, Connecticut; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Paducah, Kentucky; Knoxville, Tennessee; and Nashville, Tennessee.

I'm married to an Electrical Engineer Product Developer, who has patents (though not the $$ stream from them--bad deal company) on well-known Mac products.  He is also a PC developer.

My ethnic background is pretty mixed:  Irish, Italian, Colonial era-Brit, Canadian, Scots, Polish, German, and probably some other nationalities I'm forgetting.  My husband Don is 95% pure Norwegian and has in fact eaten lutefisk; though he doesn't recommend it.

I was one of the very first people on the Internet (aka ARPA) because of one of my sibling's jobs at NASA.  Minna's comment community reminds me of those very early days--pre spam, most users both civil and intelligent; etc. etc.

Humans are complex beings and any intro. is necessarily a surface skim; however most other humans prefer succinct information packets.  If this is TMI, let me know and I shall edit.

Tourist level:  :germany:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:27:31 PM by gaeilal »

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2712 on: October 30, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »
Hello.  I was sent here via another link in the forum, so I will comply and attempt to introduce myself.

Welcome gaeilal!  :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2713 on: October 30, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »
Welcome gaeilal! Your interests sound very diverse, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the company here. You should fit right in! Cats, medecine, music....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2714 on: October 30, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
Welcome aboard gaeilal!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t