Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580876 times)

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #2520 on: July 17, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »
Welcome, FoxDei! We are very pleased to have you here.  ^-^

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2521 on: July 18, 2016, 02:11:36 AM »
An inhabitant of Orkney EEEEK :) - Gosh I want to go back there, so many lovely memories about these rough yet wonderfull islands. Funny enough, I somewhat liked North Ronaldsay best, despite being a 13 year old grumpy teenager. Of course after a week I was happy to leave the island, not much to do when you got 5 km to cross while being attacked by sea gulls

Is it Skara Brae you are working at by chance? That was an amazing place (though the Barnhouse Settlement seemed, too, but we never made it there sadly).

Thanks for putting me on that journey back to a holiday with a lot of interesting, ancient history :)

And welcome to the forum!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2522 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:27 AM »
Welcome, welcome FoxDei!  As Róisín says, there are a few of us here who aren't spring chickens anymore (and Taru is way younger than me!)

*nod nod*  Some of us appreciate the virtual nature of the cookies these days.  We call it "Life Experience," and it sounds like you've got it in spades.  I'm between Taru and Trond myself.  I've never been to Orkney, but it sounds fascinating, and as the parent of a young violinist who has fallen in love with Scots fiddle, a trip to such places has entered the bucket list.  Welcome!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

FoxDei

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #2523 on: July 18, 2016, 01:16:38 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the welcome, and a dram of virtual 25-year-old Highland Park for everyone who spotted that I work at Skara Brae (I can only afford the 25-year-old in its virtual form). Yes, it's an amazing place, and a great privilege to work there.

I've never been to Orkney, but it sounds fascinating, and as the parent of a young violinist who has fallen in love with Scots fiddle, a trip to such places has entered the bucket list.

Try and come for the Orkney Folk Festival, which happens every year towards the end of May - that's also a good time to come, weather-wise (usually)!
Fluent: :england: :scotland: :france:
Can get by: :vaticancity:
Used to know: :russia: :hungary: :greece:
Can say half a dozen phrases with a terrible accent: :japan:
:chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2524 on: July 19, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
my current jobs involve showing people round a 5000-year-old village, and curating an exhibition about the Russian Civil War; and I am about to start training as an archivist.
*_* ... *Wants a job like that*
Ahem. Sorry. Welcome, FoxDei :) A cookie ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #2525 on: July 19, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »
Hi, I'm a very new reader, having binged on SSSS over three days last week, and now we're at p. 563 and how can I possibly live without knowing what happens next? So I guess I'm going to be here for a while. I introduced myself in the comments box on that page under my secret codename Ben Whitworth. My real name is FoxDei. Actually, this was the username I came up with when I joined the subreddit for my other fanboy obsession, the Japanese kawaii metal band BABYMETAL, but hey, it makes just as much sense over here!

I suspect I may be one of the older folks on this forum - I'm Taru's age - and I'm not quite a digital native. For instance, this is actually the first webcomic I ever read. (A Redtail's Dream is obviously going to be the second!) I am used to stories being in books, but I like the idea of serialisation. SSSS makes me feel like one of the early readers of Dickens or Trollope, when they published their novels in instalments.

I have been living (for the last eight years, though probably not for much longer) in Orkney, a bit of Scotland that was previously a Danish, and before that a Norwegian, colony. I like Japanese rock music, Swedish pop music, Scottish folk music, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Firefly, road cycling, editing/directing/singing Gregorian chant, and stonecarving. I have been a monk, an author and a farm labourer (not all at the same time - though I suppose that would be possible); my current jobs involve showing people round a 5000-year-old village, and curating an exhibition about the Russian Civil War; and I am about to start training as an archivist.

Welcome to the forum! You sound like an interesting person! (nice to see more firefly fans around here!)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

FoxDei

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #2526 on: July 21, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum! You sound like an interesting person!

I don't always manage to be interesting, but I do at least try to be interested!
Fluent: :england: :scotland: :france:
Can get by: :vaticancity:
Used to know: :russia: :hungary: :greece:
Can say half a dozen phrases with a terrible accent: :japan:
:chap12:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2527 on: July 21, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
FoxDei, welcome welcome to the forum! I agree with Luth, you sound like a really interesting person. ^-^
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

EnigmaObscurius

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2528 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
Heyjo, my name is Anna, but you can call me also Enigma. I am currently 19 years of age :V, i live with my parents and 3 siblings in Germany, near Denmark.
My hobbies are drawing/designing characters, hearing music and watching cartoons.
I am really bad in danish and english grammar but i got somehow friends despite this :'D

A friend of mine introduced me to SSSS, and i am really thankful for this! ;D

... so yeah, i hope to meet many nice people here ÓvÒ
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:34:04 PM by EnigmaObscurius »
:germany: mother tongue
:denmark: 11 years
:uk: internet, books and games :D

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #2529 on: August 04, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »
Heyjo, my name is Anna, but you can call me also Enigma. I am currently 19 years of age :V, i live with my parents and 3 siblings in Germany, near Denmark.
My hobbies are drawing/designing characters, hearing music and watching cartoons.
I am really bad in danish and english grammar but i got somehow friends despite this :'D

A friend of mine introduced me to SSSS, and i am really thankful for this! ;D

... so yeah, i hope to meet many nice people here ÓvÒ

:sparkle: :sparkle: Welcome Enigma! :D :sparkle: :sparkle:
Have a squirrel cookie! :squirrelcookie:
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2530 on: August 04, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
Welcome among us, Enigma :) An other cookie ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2531 on: August 04, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
Welcome to the collective enigma.
*leaves relatively fresh baked loaves of buttermilk bread in lieu of cookies*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2532 on: August 04, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Wiklkommen, Enigma! Sorge dich nicht.  Dein Englisch ist besser als mein Deutsch.  (I can't say anything about my Danish because I literally know 3 words)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2533 on: August 04, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
Welcome, Enigma! Hope you enjoy it here!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

EnigmaObscurius

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2534 on: August 05, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »
Thank you so much everyone!
and so much to eat! :D
:germany: mother tongue
:denmark: 11 years
:uk: internet, books and games :D