Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580814 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
Here we are! *poses elegantly for the cameras*

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:41 AM »
Well, here I am.  Trying to think of something to write in an introduction.  Um.  I'm American, I've lived in California most of my life - northern, inland, rural - not LA or anything.  I'm nearly 45 three Tuomis now... shoot, that's gotta be at least half my life.  Where'd the first half go?  I have children, horses, dogs, cats, chickens, and goats.  I'm severely introverted but not so shy as I used to be.

I love Finland!   I am not sure why exactly, when I'm not Finnish in the least.  Just the more I learn about the country the more it charms me, in spite of the reputation of Finns for being, hum, blunt and standoffish.  I'm antisocial anyway, so that sounds fine to me... too bad I'm miserable in the dark and cold.  Also, the country produces some really fantastic comic artists :-D which is why I'm here.

Hi, y'all!  *waves*
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:12:47 AM by Ann Marie »
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

goldenbrightsun

• Super-Newbie
  • daughter of winter and stars
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
Hey forum people!!! I am Jill, I am a native Southern Californian, and I am one year older than Tuuri! I attempted unsuccessfully to get a music degree these past four years, but although I'm no longer in school I still play pipe organ and piano and harpsichord, and sing. I'm glad to see there are other musicians and metalheads on here!

I got shown SSSS by my former roommate, who said to me that SSSS was "post-apocalyptic Scandinavian magic and fairytales, lots of hair and fabric, pretty things and good humor" which is almost a complete list of my interests. (It's only missing viking metal and medieval reenactment.)

My favorite character so far is Lalli, he's so cute and catlike and grumpy. I'm so excited to see how the story continues and how the world gets explained to us.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »
Hello! I'm American, lived in Vermont for a while (9 years) and now I live in Texas. I really don't speak any other language than English ( sorry). Uh I'm still in that teen type of age...
I really love to read, draw and write! Even though I'm not that good you might see some fan art your way. I found SSSS through ARTD, and I found that through a desperate search for entertainment when my former favorite comic Strays was in hiatus, it's my second fav. now, SSSS is now!

I really like this comic, for 1 reason I've always wanted to travel to Finland or a country like that, and this comic transports me!!! Also I love horses, cats, dragons, cats, deer and cats
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Nuti

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »
Hi there! I'm Nuti, a Finnish university student (soon graduate) who recently found SSSS and enjoys it. And also enjoyed aRTD. Soooooo I eagerly wait for how this plot is going to proceed! I also enjoy drawing, roleplaying and pondering trivial things. What else... I think that is enough for a starter? ^_^'
Native: ~ Fluent: ~ Rusty: ~ Learning:

OurAdversarialSystem

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
I recently graduated from a very large state school in the US and might be going to law school. I was born in Eastern Europe, adopted, went to French schools (mais mes connaissances du grammaire sont horribles), spent some time in the international community back in my birth country, and spent most of that time with my head in a book.

I studied military history (you might see a lot of comments from me examining the military side of the comic), economics, psychology, and political science. I still read in all those areas but recently have gotten into Geek culture. TVTropes is an addiction as is forum commenting. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, Girl Genius, the Order of the Stick, and Babylon 5.

I'm a little out of pop culture (no TV) and a little out of work (I don't have a business focused degree so businesses assume my skills aren't applicable to what they want).

Currently writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month.

Veronica

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »
Hi! I'm a 14 year old from the American east coast. I found SSSS while going through a list of comics another comic-author made. I was really confused because languages, and also my attention to detail (or lack of). I decided i'd try reading aRTD because I love Minna's art style, and got hooked. I paid more attention to SSSS and fell in love.
  Also i'm shipping trash, but i won't tell you that.
Mother Tongue: :usa:
Not great, but I try: :france:
Currently Learning: :mexico: :japan:

Zlatoglazka

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
Hello!
Let me skip this biographycal part, please. Some facts are written in my profile, and the rest isn't nesessary to know. =)

Once I came accidentally upon a translated web-comics, and it seemed worthy to keep reading. That was pretty logical to check, what does the translator read besides? And thus I found the SSSS's translation, and compared it to original, and it was good... Oh, so good! And all these drawings! And then I found myself pressing <F5> several times a day and even(!) commenting(!) some pages. And then Sunflower got me (I do like sunflowers btw), so here I am to post anything that could be considered as a fan-art or so.

P.S.
Don't consider me as a Lalli's fangirl, but well, if anyone insist, I wouldn't mind being a fancat (even though my nick is a name of insect).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:03:24 PM by Zlatoglazka »
:russia: - native;
:uk: - not too bad;
:france: - remember a bit since my school-days;
:germany: :japan: - let's call it "some language bits learned accidentally".

Finhawk

• Super-Newbie
  • King of Apples | Mohawk Lord
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
Hjello peeps~!

I'm Finhawk but you may call me Fin, Finny, Finnie, Finnsie, Hawk, Hawky or whatever else you may come up with.

I'm a Finnish dude with somewhat close to 20 years of life behind me. I have a serious obsession for mohawks, I love monsters (Can't wait to see more of them slithering around in SSSS) and cats are ridiculously cute and epic. I love painting and RPing and I wish I had more time for them but life is what it is...

I was introduced to this undeniably cool comic when an online friend was complaining about it being weekend and thus, her favorite comic wouldn't have more pages for few days. I got curious and I decided to check the comic out. I was hooked after the first few pages. (And I'm pretty darn happy I learned of the existence of SSSS in time to order the first book. : D)

What else...? :d

Oh, right.

I'm the almighty King of Apples and Mohawk Lord! Bow down before my awesomeness!

I mean... I'm humbly joining this community and hope to get along with you all.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:33:29 PM by Finhawk »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Hjello peeps~!

I'm Finhawk but you may call me Fin, Finny, Finnie, Finnsie, Hawk, Hawky or whatever else you may come up with.

I'm a Finnish dude with somewhat close to 20 years of life behind me. I have a serious obsession for mohawks, I love monsters (Can't wait to see more of them slithering around in SSSS) and cats are ridiculously cute and epic. I love painting and RPing and I wish I had more time for them but life is what it is...

I was introduced to this undeniably cool comic when an online friend was complaining about it being weekend and thus, her favorite comic wouldn't have more pages for few days. I got curious and I decided to check the comic out. I was hooked after the first few pages. (And I'm pretty darn happy I learned of the existence of SSSS in time to order the first book. : D)

Oh, right.

I'm the almighty King of Apples and Mohawk Lord! Bow down before my awesomeness!

Welcome, Finhawk.  We appreciate your courtesy in making your very first post your introduction.

But... um... is that Moriarty from the BBC "Sherlock" as your icon?  (Whimpers nervously.)  We already have several teenaged Evil Geniuses here -- I'm not sure whether this forum is a big enough ecological niche to sustain all of you!  (If you want us to Kneel Before Zod, you'll have to get in line behind Nimphy, who at age 14 has already threatened to take over the world... once her parents let her stay out past 9 p.m. ...)

Meanwhile, uh, Your Highness, why the "King of Apples and Mohawk Lord" titles?  Would you be kind enough to enlighten us?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
But... um... is that Moriarty from the BBC "Sherlock" as your icon?  (Whimpers nervously.)
*gasp of horror*
SUNFLOWER! No! ;___;
That's the amazing Mr Tennant!! X'D

Oh and Welcome Finhawk!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
But... um... is that Moriarty from the BBC "Sherlock" as your icon?  (Whimpers nervously.) 

*shakes head sadly* Sunflower, I am disappointed, very disappointed.

Also welcome, Finhawk! Your avatar is cool and I would also like to know the meaning behind those titles. At least, I can understand the Mohawk Lord, but King of Apples...
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
*shakes head sadly* Sunflower, I am disappointed, very disappointed.
I would also like to know the meaning behind those titles. At least, I can understand the Mohawk Lord, but King of Apples...
I too am highly intrigued... *ponders possible meanings*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

dwuff

• Creative Practitioner and Eater Of Pastries
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2014, 06:51:55 AM »
Hello! :3

I'm Danelle, a freelance artist and comics maker from South Africa! I've been commenting on Minna's pages for some time now so I figured I may as well join the forum, especially now that the comic is going on a break.

What else? I'm 29 (for another month or so :'( ) and have a degree in painting, but mostly I use it to do to draw butts, dachshunds and cats. And also to do illustrations for books.

I write and colour a webcomic called Cottonstar with my partner Ben, who is also a 2D animator and graphic designer. I live in Cape Town near the foot of one of the new 7 natural wonders of the world, Table Mountain.

I'm on tumblr and behance, and I was on deviantart for about 11 years but that site has pretty much gone the drain so much that I deleted my things and left.

That's about it. Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all. :)
Find me on tumblr.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »
Hjello peeps~!

Oh, right.

Huh? What is this? Perchance... a challenger? Bah. You are not worth my time, kid.

Welcome, Finhawk.  We appreciate your courtesy in making your very first post your introduction.

But... um... is that Moriarty from the BBC "Sherlock" as your icon?  (Whimpers nervously.)  We already have several teenaged Evil Geniuses here -- I'm not sure whether this forum is a big enough ecological niche to sustain all of you!  (If you want us to Kneel Before Zod, you'll have to get in line behind Nimphy, who at age 14 has already threatened to take over the world... once her parents let her stay out past 9 p.m. ...)

Meanwhile, uh, Your Highness, why the "King of Apples and Mohawk Lord" titles?  Would you be kind enough to enlighten us?

H-HEY! I'll let you know I can stay up until 10:30! Nyah-nyah!  :P

PS: I am very, very disappointed, Sunflower. You do not recognize that person? How can you?!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: