Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580424 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3315 on: November 11, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
Zinvia, welcome! I've seen you in the comments, and I think you will do just fine here. There is a lot to explore, with all the threads - I haven't read all of it yet myself. Have fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3316 on: November 12, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
Hi. I'm the one who calls herself Zinvia.

Hi and welcome to the forum Zinvia :D :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #3317 on: November 12, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Welcome, Zinvia. I'm sure you'll have a great time here. There's plenty to do.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

beergood

« Reply #3318 on: November 12, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »
Hey!

So I thought I'd finally join the board as well in anticipation of the new chapter. I've been commenting on the main page for a while under the name katafonteolog (for various reasons), and have also posted some fanfic to AO3, but for whatever reason I hadn't got around to registering for the forum, which is <lalli>really stupid</lalli> since I love to get nerdy about languages and other stuff. Now I have. I hope to mightily enjoy it and hope the experience will be mutual.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:02:32 PM by beergood »
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3319 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »
Welcome, beergood! I've seen you in the comments and on A3O, and I think you will enjoy it here. Lots of threads for nerding out on languages and such. I'm sure the enjoyment will bemutual.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3320 on: November 13, 2017, 12:30:50 AM »
Hey!
Hey and welcome beergood I'm sure you'll enjoy it here :D  :squirrelcookie:
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

beergood

« Reply #3321 on: November 13, 2017, 02:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Roulietta

• DeviantArt
  • Hapless ham-fisted French
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3322 on: November 13, 2017, 03:15:33 AM »
Welcome Zinvia and beergood :D
Default settings: :france:
Oddly more or less mastered : :uk:
Studied it five years and still can't speak a word: :spain:
Seriously studying and can swear in this language: :german:

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #3323 on: November 13, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
Greetings and a warm welcome, beergood
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3324 on: November 13, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
Hey!

So I thought I'd finally join the board as well in anticipation of the new chapter. I've been commenting on the main page for a while under the name katafonteolog (for various reasons), and have also posted some fanfic to AO3, but for whatever reason I hadn't got around to registering for the forum, which is <lalli>really stupid</lalli> since I love to get nerdy about languages and other stuff. Now I have. I hope to mightily enjoy it and hope the experience will be mutual.

Welcome, beergood!  I love the <lalli> tags.  Hmmm, I wonder what <emil> tags would convey -- pompous and unintentionally offensive cluelessness or clueless-but-eager goodwill?  In any event, nice to have you join the Forum properly.  I notice you speak most of the Scandinavian languages (at least enough to order some beers).  Add Icelandic and you'll have a full sweep!

Also welcome skips (Norwegian and screaming?  Join the club  ;) ), Zinvia (we're glad to see you moving over from the Disqus comments!), Johniny (you may be our first Slovakian member), and Lyric (I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see sketches of the wildcats you used to work with, if you have any). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

skips

• skips, at your service!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3325 on: November 14, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »
A (sadly belated) thank you to all who wished me welcome! And hello beergood, and all you others! (Katafonteolog made me laugh more than a little because I automatically read it as telefonkatalog. Not sure if that is the intended anagram.)

I am indeed Norwegian and also still screaming! Always screaming! It's what I do!
I really need to sign up for Disqus so I can comment on things. I have a lot to say, or yell, depending on excitement levels.
fluent: :norway: :uk: :sweden:
learning (slowly): :poland: :germany:
few phrases like the tourist i am: :russia: :france:

delicate flower, always yelling, talk to me about hussars

beergood

« Reply #3326 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
A (sadly belated) thank you to all who wished me welcome! And hello beergood, and all you others! (Katafonteolog made me laugh more than a little because I automatically read it as telefonkatalog. Not sure if that is the intended anagram.)
It is indeed! It's a very old personal joke that I used as a twitter handle for a while and then when I signed up for disqus and bla bla. Thanks!

Hmmm, I wonder what <emil> tags would convey -- pompous and unintentionally offensive cluelessness or clueless-but-eager goodwill?
Pretty much. And the <mikkel> tag just formats everything in a very deadpan way.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3327 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
I am indeed Norwegian and also still screaming! Always screaming! It's what I do!
... I heard of people who have to wear hearing protection during their sleep so as not to have their own snoring wake them, but ...

I really need to sign up for Disqus so I can comment on things. I have a lot to say, or yell, depending on excitement levels.
Let me be the notorious counterexample and point out that at least technically, you do not need to be logged into Disqus to be all over the comments sections ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3328 on: November 15, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
... I heard of people who have to wear hearing protection during their sleep so as not to have their own snoring wake them, but ...
Let me be the notorious counterexample and point out that at least technically, you do not need to be logged into Disqus to be all over the comments sections ...

True! Your dedication to this is rather interesting in its consistency.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

kuzzzma

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3329 on: November 17, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »
While I joined this board some time ago, I'm yet to make a formal introduction.

I'm Russian, currently living in our cultural capital St. Petersburg, but my hometown Khabarovsk is all the way across the vast expanse of Russia (7 hours flight, a week by train, therefor I don't visit it often).
Possibly out of this comes my innate "feeling for distances" and and love for geography.

Love for geography got me into SSSS - a friend sent me a Map of the Known World and I was hooked.
I've read whole comic (around 600 of 700 pages at that time?) in one evening...

Over the months since that fateful evening, my life experienced a generous influx of excitement all thanks to SSSS:
I've met a bunch of like-minded fans and now we are marching to Winter Fandom Battle together - I'm bound to have new friends and comrades-in-arms after it.
Slow and delightful torture of waiting for updates caused a surge of inspiration rarely seen before and prompted me to start several fan-themed projects, which I'm excited to be able to share here, when time comes.

Life is good and winter months are to be packed with creative fun and for this I'll be forever grateful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:44:18 PM by kuzzzma »
Native:
Fluent: