Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 572208 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3150 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
A warm welcome to PeregrineWillow, North_Satsuma, and and all the new people that I've missed lately! I'll see you around, hope you have a wonderful time here. :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3151 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:15 PM »
Welcome Jacob, Seriema, North Satsuma and Pippin!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mentha_spicata

• Tumblr
« Reply #3152 on: September 02, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »
Hi hey hello everyone! :) Some of you may recognize me from the comments, though I'm not the most active one there. But since I of course decided to come back to the Minnion Squad just before the chapter break, I figured I might as well give the Forum a try. I'm usually a failure at forum-ing, so please don't expect too much.

My name is Catherine (well, it's literally Katarzyna, but I'd react to whatever), and I'm from Poland. I do theatre studies at a university, along with miscellaneous courses connected to linguistics, medieval literature, French history and court live, philosophy, and whatnot.
I love folk and classical music, books, mountain hiking, and cats. I take classes in Irish and Scottish dances. I used to play keybord instruments. I write and translate poetry. I have always wanted to write fanfiction, but never truly gave it a try.
I'm familliar with Minna's work since the last chapter of aRTD, but I'm a shy entity who prefers to wander in the shadows of the Internets.
Or something.
Native: :poland:
Fluent: :uk:
Getting better: :russia: :france: :vaticancity:
Bits and pieces: :germany:
Passive use only: :italy: :sweden:
Dreams about: :sign: :iceland:
:artd: :)
---
And there was silence all around! The emptiness reigning forever!
Why do you mock that emptiness although it doesn’t mock you ever?

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3153 on: September 02, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Hi hey hello everyone! :)
Welcone to the forum Catherine :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3154 on: September 02, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
Hi, Mentha_Spicata, good to have you here, you will already know many of us here, then, as you're not a total newbie.  This is definitely a safe place to try your hand at fan fiction, as Minnions are generally quite encouraging of such endeavours (or at least not ones to shoot you down in flames).  There is even a thread of fanfic ideas various folks have put out there (must put in the linkie) to get you started.  (Although I suspect that since you mention the concept, you may have more than a few ideas already brewing?)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3155 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:43 PM »
Hello and welcome Mentha/Catherine! I remember you from the old comments. It will be good to have you on the Forum!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #3156 on: September 02, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Hello Mentha! Nice to meet you (though I've already seen you on the Books thread). Glad to have you here.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Mentha_spicata

• Tumblr
« Reply #3157 on: September 03, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
Thak you for a warm welcome! :)
wavewright62, to be honest, some fanfic ideas have been hanging around in my head for far too long, but I doubt my writing skills too much to let them out into the world.
Native: :poland:
Getting better: :russia: :france: :vaticancity:
Bits and pieces: :germany:
Passive use only: :italy: :sweden:
Dreams about: :sign: :iceland:
:artd: :)
---
And there was silence all around! The emptiness reigning forever!
Why do you mock that emptiness although it doesn’t mock you ever?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3158 on: September 03, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »
Thak you for a warm welcome! :)
wavewright62, to be honest, some fanfic ideas have been hanging around in my head for far too long, but I doubt my writing skills too much to let them out into the world.
Life is short, blah blah, anonymity is a thing, blah blah.  You don't have to be perfect!  Writing is a skill that develops throughout your life, but it doesn't develop if you don't actually do it.  How are those for motivational posters?  tumblr is great at sending such sentiments my way, and to be honest the exhortation that it doesn't have to be perfect is something I need reminding of **frequently.**
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3159 on: September 03, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
Me too, Wavewright, me too. I've enjoyed watching your writing become stronger and more confident with practice.
Mentha, you should totally write and draw. There's always an audience here!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Drekaavoxtur

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Professional Lurker
« Reply #3160 on: September 04, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
Welp, I just joined the forum, so thought it'd be cool to write one of these!

Heyo, the name's Lucy (call me Nneoh if you want) and I'm an Internet lurker from the Land Down Under, a.k.a Australia! I'm 17 years old and use she/her pronouns if anyone wants to know.

I found SSSS through an ad on Flight Rising, read it all in a week and loved it! I'm a huge fan of Nordic culture and post-apocalyptic stories, so the comic is definitely right up my alley.

I'm a high school student currently studying a myriad array of subjects, but my main jams are anything related to history/geopgraphy/politics, English and learning other languages. I'm a native English speaker currently studying Japanese, and I know a few profanities in Icelandic and Finnish. In the future I'd like to learn a Nordic language and either Mongolian or Kazakh.

I love reading, writing my own stories (I might share some of them here if that's okay), drawing (even though I suck), playing video games and messing around on the Internet. Looking forward to getting to hang out with you all!
Learning: :japan:

:chap16:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3161 on: September 04, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
[...] I love [...] writing my own stories (I might share some of them here if that's okay) [...]
The fact that there are Scriptoria for SSSS, aRTD, and Original Fiction suggests that you'd be welcome to share if you so desire.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3162 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
Welcome Mentha_spicata and Drekaavoxtur!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3163 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
Welp, I just joined the forum, so thought it'd be cool to write one of these!
Welcome Lucy! :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3164 on: September 04, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Hi hey hello everyone! :) Some of you may recognize me from the comments, though I'm not the most active one there. But since I of course decided to come back to the Minnion Squad just before the chapter break, I figured I might as well give the Forum a try. I'm usually a failure at forum-ing, so please don't expect too much.

My name is Catherine (well, it's literally Katarzyna, but I'd react to whatever), and I'm from Poland. I do theatre studies at a university, along with miscellaneous courses connected to linguistics, medieval literature, French history and court live, philosophy, and whatnot.
I love folk and classical music, books, mountain hiking, and cats. I take classes in Irish and Scottish dances. I used to play keybord instruments. I write and translate poetry. I have always wanted to write fanfiction, but never truly gave it a try.
I'm familliar with Minna's work since the last chapter of aRTD, but I'm a shy entity who prefers to wander in the shadows of the Internets.
Or something.

Hello, Mentha_Spicata, a/k/a Spearmint! 

Judging by your many interests, you will find lots of people here to share them with!  Especially writing fan-fic.  I had never written fiction since some very stiff and boring attempts back in college, years ago -- but SSSS helped me overcome my writer's block and sense of inadequacy, to the point I've written yards and yards.  (Mostly not very good, but it's a lot of fun and very freeing.) 

If you're Polish, you may like a book I recently finished, Uprooted by Naomi Novik (author of the Temeraire series).  It's a fantasy based on Polish folklore and history, which in the English-speaking world is refreshingly different. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: