Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 563528 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
The Introduction Thread
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
On kind suggestion of someone whose name I always forget! Presentation board for the newbies to introduce themselves and thus take the first step in becoming veterans! Welcome to this wonderful community - and remember to respect you elders and your eldúr!*

*All references to SSSS, Emil, Icelandic, and certain Disqus comments are purely incidental.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:31:58 PM by Eich »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
Re: Presentation board
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Shouldn't the veterans give an example on what information should be basically given? I mean it's nice that I can tell that I've come here via a search through other webcomics, read a Red Tails Dream and don't read many other webcomics (except goblins thanks to you Nimphy and xkcd). But now with that information you wouldn't know where I come from (ok, it's obvious in my signature ;) ), how old I am, if I'm working and so on.

I'll start :) How I got to reading SSSS I've already said. I'm nearly 28 years old by now and work as a teacher for children with different behavioral disorders. I'm not fully done yet, my final exam will be in february. Besides being on the internet I try to learn several languages which could be usefull on my job.

I'm Editing this for Nimphy :):

Hallo Nimphy. Ich habe im November Geburtstag. Ich fotografiere gerne. Ich lese auch sehr viel. Die meisten Bücher sind auf Englisch. Ich sitze nicht gerne rum und jogge sehr viel. Joggen gehe ich am liebsten im Wald. Viel Spaß beim Übersetzen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:50:41 PM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
Right! So obviously I'm Nimphy, as everyone can see. (Expecting a chorus of "Hi, Nimphy" a la therapy session now) I'm a silly Albanian girl who lives in Italy, speaks English whenever she can, is learning German and Norwegian, watches anime in Japanese because she can't stand dubs of any sort, and has a list of to-learn languages which is bigger than her. I'm currently one year younger than Tuomi, aka half Kex's age. That means you'll all die before I do. (Be kind and polite around the little innocent child, everyone!) I'm apparently a future scientist (or doctor or mathematician or something else), as I'm in a scientific high school, but I could care less about things that require cold reasoning. I'm also humble as a peacock.

Edit for Kex:

Heh, I'm kinda ashamed to admit I only understood about half of what you said (I'm pretty sure I grasped the general concept, but not the exact meaning of the sentences word-per-word) by reading it a few times. I've been learning German for what, a month now? I feel like I should be already able to understand all of that :(

But hey, thanks for the effort!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:05:12 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fenris

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
Well, I'm a twenty-one year old Norwegian. Dropped out of high-school, although planning on getting a journeymanship in smithing/metalworking then possibly expanding on it by studying history at a university if possible. I live on a farm, and I know English and Norwegian, had about three years of German (which I'm trying to brush up on) and learning Russian. Found SSSS kinda randomly, saw someone mention it in another forum, then decided to check it out not that long ago. After reading through the archive, I read through aRTD, and so here I went, although I do not post that often.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
     Hello! I'm a girl from the west coast of the United States - which is apparently very obvious - and am currently one year older than Tuomi. I accidentaly clicked the link for aRTD back during chapters three and four and was hooked instantly. I haunted the comment section everyday from the moment of it's integration but only actually commented twice - under two different names. I've been much more active since the start of SSSS.
     I know English and am working on learning German - I am redicuously excited that I can easily understand your paragraph, kex - and cannot spell in any language. At least German usually follows its own spelling rules.
      Other than that I enjoy reading and writing, can play clarinet, dislike inconveniencing people, wish spell check was working, and am also apparently going to be a scientist.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:55 PM »
Shouldn't the veterans give an example
Well this one here's already too fossilized to do more than pointing you at the Wiki profile of his. :P

(Actually busy getting ready for a long distance car drive tomorrow, sorry. And yes, procrastination is something the veterans here are prone to!)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
Hello! I come from the Northeast of US, and two years older then Tuomi. I forgot how I came to read aRTD, but I think it was through some site or something. I haven't been with SSSS in the beginning, but I think I started commenting around page 114, so it's safe to say that I came in quite a bit before that.

I know English fluently, but still need to work on my Korean. I have too many ideas of what I want to do, so I'm sticking with learning German and then continuing Icelandic.

I usually draw, but I also just come up with ideas every now and then - whether it's a set of characters or a story. I'm a not-so-great-in-social-situations person, loves food too much for some reason, and I think I may end up being a therapist.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
Salutations! I hail from the United States, and, since it is apparently fashionable to give one's age in units of Tuomi, am currently older than Tuomi but younger than Lalli. I currently have too much ideas, but try to remedy this by drawing, writing (a little), researching secret languages, and coding. I like to imagine that someday I'll actually have gotten some of those ideas into Real Life form as a bunch of graphic novels. Or webcomics.

I am also an inveterate lurker, and have only recently come out of hiding to post on this forum, though I've been following SSSS since the countdown blog.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
Howdy all!
I would say "g'day" but it's so clichéd and "howdy" sounds more fun ;3
I'm a full-time art/fine arts student and less-full-time farm girl from the "Apple Isle". I was the same age as Emil and Lalli when the comic started, but now I'm a year younger than Tuuri, making me the same age as Mr. Eich down there :P (and also suspecting that our birthdays might be weirdly close O___O but who knows? It's a mystery~ ;P)

I like cute things and nice peacefulness, but equally enjoy the badass side and getting my hands dirty. Literally. Dirt all over everything. It's happened.
Because of my lifestyle I switch between a respectable polite young lady and grime-covered rural lass, so my post-writing can get pretty weird.
I speak English, and hack my way through French, even though I should be fluent by now :P

Well this one here's already too fossilized to do more than pointing you at the Wiki profile of his. :P

(Actually busy getting ready for a long distance car drive tomorrow, sorry. And yes, procrastination is something the veterans here are prone to!)

The wiki profile is awesome XD

And....agh...don't I know it ;___;
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:44:10 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
I'm Rollo. Superficially it might look like I am really boring, but when you investigate a bit you discover that under it all, I am actually quite depressing and negative.

I say I speak fluent English though that's mostly really true in writing; I understand spoken English fairly well but I don't have a really good accent.

I have studied many other languages but none stuck because I have no motivation to make them stick —English stuck because most of the internet is in English and I'm there everyday. Notably I must have tried to learn Japanese at least 4 times, every time to eventually give up. I'd like to learn Icelandic at some point because it has a really cool spelling system, but I my knowledge of Icelandic culture is basically one film, so that would probably not be enough to motivate me.

Generally I'm good at grammar but bad at vocabulary (I studied Turkish for 3 years and yet could never hold even a basic conversation, because I could never remember the words, even though I knew otherwise how to form complex sentences in proper Turkish, provided I had a dictionary).

I mostly like things no one cares about and mostly dislike things that everyone else likes —I am not doing it on purpose.

My life is going nowhere but I have never lived through misery so there's that.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »
Good afternoon, readers, observers, forumers.  I'm Eich.  I'm a male (that means "dude"), 20 year old, US engineering student, lover of the arts, guitarist, and the guy who made the forum.  I made it because this community is, in my opinion, the greatest group of people on the internet.  The people are nice, friendly, tame, respectful, and all those other good things, and I wanted there to be a place for us to gather and talk about things of all kinds.  I'm currently doing a co-op at my university, so I'm working full time, and I have the afternoons to myself to work and chat on here.  If you want to talk about the dorkier things in life, video games, webcomics, animation, etc., I'm a pretty good ear to chew on.

As the forum-builder-dude, feel free to pm me with any questions you have about this place (after you read the rules, of course).
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm ThisCat, veteran member of the community, one of the Bards of Minna and guardian of the poetry thread. I am currently the same age as Emil and Lalli - 19. I am Norwegian and am currently attending the first year of a biology grade in university, hoping to be a scientist some day (preferably on bugs). I speak english and norwegian and sort of want to learn german, but unless I actually move to Germany it is unlikely to happen. On my free time I draw, write poetry, read webcomics and procrastinate. I also think it's lovely to meet you all.

(btw, we should sticky this thread so new users can easily find it)
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
(btw, we should sticky this thread so new users can easily find it)
Good idea.  Just did that.  Should we change the topic name, too?  Presentation thread sounds like a thread for pitching business ideas.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
Good idea.  Just did that.  Should we change the topic name, too?  Presentation thread sounds like a thread for pitching business ideas.

Introduction board would probably be better.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
Introduction board would probably be better.

When I clicked on this thread I thought it would be people presenting information they had recently learned...