Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 30127 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #450 on: November 30, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
Helloo! December is here! Who wants to pick a comic?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #451 on: November 30, 2023, 07:45:26 PM »
I'm putting together a pitch. If nobody else chimes in by the time I get it done, I'll go ahead and use it for this month.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #452 on: December 01, 2023, 09:36:51 AM »
Great, pleas go ahead Linebyline!

I didn’t have to read Daughter of the Lilies when it was CotM but I’m at it now. Interesting!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2023, 07:47:58 PM »
We've had a few comics lately about prejudice, class difference, and general dystopia. You know what we haven't had so many of? Robots. Let's fix that.

I haven't been especially shy about Webtoon not being my preferred way to read comics, but I'll put up with it when the work is good. And Emmy the Robot by Dominic Cellini (First Page) is  good.

The eponymous Emmy is one of a line of mass-produced maid/nanny robots ("Nandroids"), each given a name and a unique hairstyle like a Cabbage Patch doll, but looking more like a china doll. She starts off receiving her "programming" in a classroom setting, where she's told about how she's superior to the dangerous "outmodes" that her line renders obsolete, and how her superior engineering makes it impossible for her software to contain an error. (I wouldn't describe this as an overtly political work, as the politics is there to serve the story rather than vice versa, but neither would I call it subtle.)

I don't think it counts as a spoiler to say that eventually, Emmy gets a firmware update that doesn't agree with her. You saw that coming, right? Burdened with the expectation of perfection, she of course hides this until she makes—gasp!—a mistake. The company "temporarily" repossessing her for "diagnostics and repairs" leads to her getting lost, damaged, and introduced to a new cast of much more colorful characters than she's used to (literally and figuratively).

As of now, the comic is up to page/chapter/whatever (sigh...Webtoon) #137. Updates are a little unsteady, but the goal seems to be weekly updates.

It's a comedy, overall, but it has plenty of plot to go around. It starts with gag strips, but it's not long before you notice that they're being used to sneak in bits of world- and character-building. It's not much longer before you can't really call it sneaking anymore. Admittedly, it takes the plot a little while to get rolling, and once it does, the story frequently falls back into this mode. I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you prefer the tight pacing of some of the other COTMs. But if you're willing to relax and enjoy the ride, you will be rewarded. There is very much a real story being told here, with mysteries, stakes, status quo changes, and real peril.

The art style is charming, but it's not the comfy-cozy kind of charming that I usually pitch. It's a very clean, often angular style. It gives me Cartoon Network or perhaps latter-day Nicktoon vibes with its often angular designs, but it doesn't come off as cheap or rushed in the way those designs often do. I'll level with you: Some characters do have those perfect-circle eyes, and there are some less appealing designs in general, but more often than not, the characters are a treat to look at.

I just noticed something as I was writing this: There's one character who (like most of the recent additions to the cast) was introduced as a foil to Emmy, and his huge, hunched shoulders and slender lower body give him a silhouette that looks almost exactly like that of Emmy's maid uniform, but upside-down.

It's the little things that impress me.

Content warnings? I can't think of much. Thus far there's virtually no actual violence, though there is some mild peril and people do get hurt on occasion. There's simulated non-lethal violence in an early strip ("My fragile human eyes!"). There's a minor injury that I think does draw blood, though I haven't done a full reread yet so I won't swear to that. Okay, there's some dismemberment, too, but that character is a robot and anyway she did eventually get another arm. It's fine. Ratings-wise, it's probably somewhere between ESRB E10+ and TV-Y7. I don't have kids, but I'd have no qualms about them reading this if I did. (I'd also let my kids read Animorphs, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but c'mon. Pixie and Brutus has more violence than this comic.)

I may or may not get around to posting my usual art sample collage. I've temporarily lost access to my Web host and I'm not sure how much I want to count on my Mastodon account for this.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2023, 10:28:38 PM »
I've seen this comic occasionally pop up on Instagram, but I've never read the whole thing in order! I'll have to check it out properly.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #455 on: December 09, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »
The work to be presented as Comic of the Month
- has to be accessible online for free

Well this just got awkward.

This is a free preview of a longer comic that is only on my Patreon. For just a dollar, you can access this as all the extra art and exclusive comics going back since 2020!
Please see my social media for a recent announcement regarding changes to Webtoon Canvas creator support and why I'm advertising my Patreon here. There will continue to be free episodes of Emmy updated here.

What's that mean? Best-case scenario, this partial page (and the previous page) are basically an ad for a Patreon-exclusive side comic. Worst case, the plot is moving to Patreon and the "free episodes" are the side comics.

So I pulled on my hazmat suit and checked out his Instagram. (I know, I know, "Meta" sucks, but it's that or the smoldering, fascist-infested remains of Twitter.) His explanation over there seems a little clearer. If I'm understanding it correctly, while the current page may be part of a Patreon-exclusive side comic, the comic overall will still be on Webtoon, just with a three- or four-week delay after pages hit Patreon first. Which I further assume means we can expect a three- or four-week hiatus. Sorry about that.

Here's the full announcement (I think):

Hey there, Emmy the Robot community,
I wanted to take a moment to address some recent concerns about the comic's update on Webtoon today. I'm truly sorry for any confusion or frustration this might have caused. I had hoped to make a more formal announcement about upcoming changes earlier, but I've been sick for the past few weeks.

Over the years, I've been fortunate to collaborate with Webtoon through their Canvas creator programs, alongside other terrific creators. This financial support has allowed me to dedicate over 30 hours per week to writing and illustrating Emmy's journey.

Regrettably, these programs were discontinued by Webtoon this fall. As challenging as it is, I can't sustain Emmy the Robot as a regularly updated webcomic without financial support. Therefore, I have no choice but to prioritize my Patreon or other subscriptions in order to allow the comic to continue.

Let me clarify— the story will still be updated in Webtoon and Instagram; however, new episodes will now premiere on Patreon 3-4 weeks prior, and some comics will remain exclusive to Patreon only. Patreon membership minimum will be $1/month until January 31st, after which the minimum will be $2 and the tiers will be updated with new rewards and more exclusive content. For those who sign up before January 31st, the tier will remain $1 with the same access!

But here's some exciting news I've been eager to share— I'm in the process of turning the comic into a print version, something many of you have been asking for. I'm working diligently to bring Emmy's story to life in book form!

I understand this change might be unexpected and possibly disappointing. I truly value each and every one of you who have been part of Emmy's adventure. Your support has been the backbone of this journey, and I hope you'll continue to join me on this path, whether on Webtoon, through Patreon, or in the pages of the upcoming book version. I'm incredibly grateful for your understanding and patience during this transition.

Your support, your presence, it's what keeps the stories alive. Thank you for being an integral part of this incredible ride.

—Dominic.

(Apologies for any errors in that quotation. It was posted as an image, which I had to transcribe manually rather than copy-pasting. No, I don't know what OCR is, why do you ask?)
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2023, 09:10:59 AM »
Linebyline, no worries, we’ll just have to see how it goes. It was free when you suggested it! Publishing early on Patreon is common practice, so let’s hope it’s that.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2023, 04:49:12 AM »
No, I don't know what OCR is, why do you ask?
Obsessive Copy-typing Refusal.  ;D
Spoiler: show

Yes, I sorta deal with OCR at work. If you figure it to be some sort of magic problem-solver, you haven't experienced the problems that ensue when you try to feed the result into some further automated processing afterwards. Like OCR introducing spurious spaces into ZIP codes because its idea of proper kerning doesn't coincide with the writer's ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2023, 09:08:36 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to never have needed to worry about that. Frankly, attempting to run that through optical character regurgitation would have been more time/effort than transcribing. I just like to complain. :P

Getting back around to the comic, though, something stuck out at me on re-reading.
Spoiler: show
Dr. Bennet dismisses the Delaires' affection for Emmy, and Dr. Webb's concern for her, by saying that she's merely programmed to give the illusion of life. But when Upper-upper management tells him that Emmy (so far as they know) wound up in the incinerator, he's horrified, saying that at least if she'd been shipped off to the Swiss plant to be dismantled, it would at least have been done humanely.

So either he's letting himself get caught up in anthropomorphizing the machines in the same way he told Dr. Webb not to, or else he thinks that the Nandroids are, at least, capable of feeling pain. Sort of makes me wonder if he really believes that they're non-sapient, or if saying they are is just part of The Way Things Work Around Here.
- Simcha Fisher

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #459 on: January 03, 2024, 04:06:13 AM »
Do we have any takers for January comic of the month? I'm happy to suggest something if nobody else wants it.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #460 on: January 03, 2024, 10:35:03 AM »
Oh yes, good of you to bring it up! Please go ahead!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2024, 04:54:58 AM »
Alrighty!

My comic of the month for January is Broken by Kristina Caruso

The celebrated general of a genocidal empire in the middle of a zombie-type apocalypse flees his post after discovering that his "construct" - a corrupted corpse controlled by soldiers to fight against hordes of corrupted monsters - has regained sentience. What follows is the journey of a guilt-ridden ex-general and the psychic zombie child he's semi-adopted as they try and find safety in an apocalyptic wasteland and uncover the secrets their empire has hidden from them.

Things I really like about this comic: The two lead characters have a great dynamic and there were several moments which hit me very hard in the emotions. The story is compelling and the worldbuilding is very well done. It's one of the few webcomics that genuinely does make me cry. It also explores PTSD, guilt and the complexities of war, including the ways in which someone can be both a victim and a perpetrator at the same time.

Warnings for: flashing lights (many of the panels are animated), body horror (less graphic than SSSS but still fairly intense), blood, fantasy warfare and genocide, depictions of PTSD and also scenes that made me cry a lot.

Broken is still updating, but the pages get published in bundles every few months - the last update bundle was in late October, and the one before that was in August. As such it's not the kind of comic you can check on a weekly schedule, but in my opinion it's still very much worth keeping up with!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #462 on: February 02, 2024, 04:40:06 AM »
February is upon us, who wants to make a recommendation?

I have a couple of titles to recommend but they are not suitable to be the comic of the month, so I’ll put them in the webcomics discussion thread instead.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2024, 07:50:56 AM »
I've also got some titles (sorry for the late response), but I did last month so I'm happy for others to take the lead if they'd like.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2024, 05:57:23 PM »
I have one ready to go if nobody objects, though I'm happy to let anyone else go ahead of me.
- Simcha Fisher