Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31891 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »
I don’t know enough to start a thread correctly, so may hand it over to whoever of you does know how to do it correctly, if one of you who is allowed to do that would be so kind as to do the setup? Thanks!

And Jitter, the weasels are delightful, aren’t they.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2021, 07:36:27 PM »
OK. Have just started said thread. Hope I did it right. Róisín and/or Jitter, feel free to comment/amend as needed.

Róisín

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2021, 11:16:08 PM »
Thank you for doing that! I really suck at such things. Like art, it is a skill that simply doesn’t answer me. Though at least nowadays most computers, televisions and other machineries don’t break when I turn them on. It has taken years of effort, on the part of myself, Star (thanks for your patience, love!) and a couple of my machine-competent relatives to get me to this point with computers, but slowly, slowly I get there! Not yet quite at the point of making links and threads and such!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2021, 03:09:57 AM »
Thorny, the thread looks great and links correctly, thank you!

So, discussion about GG in general, such as what Wave posted just recently, will still go here from now on. Discussion about what actually happens in the plot and anything that may constitute a spoiler, should go to the Girl Genius spoilers thread here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1275.0 If you are unsure, it’s better to err towards caution and use the spoilers thread.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

catbirds

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »
I'm not really sure where else to put this, but now that this forum is kind of moving towards looking at webcomics in general (albeit with a focus on SSSS), I was wondering how we could start reaching people who only read those comics that don't have a link to the forum under every page. I mean, I feel like a lot of people left this forum because LP blah blah drastic change in direction that Minna's comics and storytelling went in and will go in about 3 months, so of course a lot fewer people from years ago will be here now.

So far I've considered either getting into contact with the creators and sending them a link to the discussion, provided the comic gets enough interest here to have its own thread, or just going into comments and pasting a link (which might be a little invasive, depending on the particular author).

Of course, these are just suggestions and mostly about bringing more people into the discussion, since it might be fun. It doesn't have to happen right now, since we're still fairly closely tied to SSSS by appearance. Plus, not all of the comics we've discussed have comment sections anyway.

thorny

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »
catbirds, that's a very good point. There's always some attrition from active membership on messageboards, for all sorts of reasons; so it's necessary to have a way to bring new people in. And once SSSS ends, there aren't likely to be many people coming in from there, even if the link's kept up and the pages kept available. So we're going to need some other way to do that.

thorny

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2021, 03:08:50 PM »
Whoops, it's December, and I think I'm up next, but it's still light here and not raining. Will be back later this evening, which may put it into tomorrow some places, apologies --

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
Thorny, it is your turn yes, but you are well in time if it’s your 1st of December :)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »
OK, how's this? Jitter, please let me know if I messed this up.

Here we are, the first of December. (Well, the second of December by now, in much of the world. Sorry about that.)

So, for Comic of the Month, may I introduce you to Digger-Of-Unnecessarily-Convoluted-Tunnels? Who is, in my opinion, well worth knowing; as are a number of other fascinating characters to be found in Ursula Vernon's Digger.

First page here:
https://diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/01/wombat1-gnorf/

As the author's header says at the top of the pages:
"A wombat. A dead god. A very peculiar epic."

I'm not sure that it's got a genre; though it certainly has fantasy elements. I'd say it's about . . . hmm. The nature of morality? The nature of friendship? Homesickness? Work? Love? There's no Pairing Everybody Off, though there are some pairs. There are various body shapes, more so because there are various species. There aren't a lot of apparent gender roles and those that are may not be the expected ones.

Some other things to know about Digger:

For one thing, it's a completed work that's been finished since 2011. This has the advantage that there's no need to worry about whether the author's going to get sick of it in the middle, and there's no agonizing waits for the resolutions of cliffhangers page . . . by . . . page. But it has the considerable disadvantage that when you get to the last page, that's it. No more Digger. Which probably explains all those re-readers in the comments.

Note that the comments at the bottom of the pages were posted over multiple years, some of them by people doing multiple readthroughs, and they sometimes contain spoilers for later pages.

Let's see: content warnings. In general, occasional violence, and occasional gruesomeness; not likely to bother anybody who likes SSSS. Different style, though, and sometimes in some ways weirder. No explicit sex, and not very much implicit sex or even very much discussion of sex.

Further possible content warnings under spoiler:

Spoiler: show
-- Death, on purpose and otherwise, including of major character.
   -- Domestic abuse, taken seriously; not graphic visually. but graphic emotionally.
   -- Shunning.
   -- Use of the terms "crazy" and "mad"; though not at all in a mocking fashion.
   -- Mental illness, presented sympathetically.
   -- For one section: emetophobe warning.
   -- Childbirth, and miscarriage.
   -- Some pages with rather claustrophobic scenes.
   -- A highly irreverent attitude to gods.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2021, 03:34:51 AM »
Thorny, I think you nailed it!

The only question I still have is how long is it? I mean order of magnitude, so 50, 500, 5000 pages?

Róisín

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:28 AM »
Oh good! Digger is a delight! I have read some of it, though not all, and would really like to do a more thorough read. Thanks, thorny!

thorny

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2021, 09:21:11 AM »
The only question I still have is how long is it? I mean order of magnitude, so 50, 500, 5000 pages?

About 750.

Róisín, yes read all of it! And it really is a delight. Even -- maybe especially -- in the dark places.

-- If anyone wants to discuss Digger without worrying about spoilers, let me know, and I'll open a thread.

Róisín

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »
Please do that!

thorny

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »
Thank goodness it's December and I should have the mental space and some time to re-read this... because I barely recognize it from the description!  :'D

That's par for the course with me, of course - I routinely forget all but a few completely irrelevant details from any book, movie, comic, play, etc. which results in some very interesting conversations:

Other Person: Say, have you seen <movie>?
Me: Yes! I enjoyed it so much.
OP: Wasn't that a clever scene where <protagonist does important thing>?
Me: ... I remember <protagonist> trying to make a sandwich... remind me about <important thing>.
OP: (eyeing me suspiciously) You know... <protagonist> goes to <famous location> and finds the <MacGuffin that drives the entire plot>.
Me: ... ah... they went there? Um... it's not a place I'm familiar with. And what's this <MacGuffin>?
OP: Seriously? You don't remember the pivotal scene of the movie??
Me: No... just the sandwich, really.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: