Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 74233 times)

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2021, 12:30:17 AM »
By chance I came across a channel by a Nigerian man who showcases recipes from his country, interspersed with recipe exchanges and personal posts. There's one that would definitely appeal to Róisín; "Foraging For My Dinner In Semi-Wild Forest & Farms."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCla1QqkSKcWXjfig0xe7iTw/videos
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:10:28 AM by Yastreb »
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2021, 10:19:28 AM »
Yastreb, that is fascinating. I have grown Talinum as a vegetable, though here in Australia it is mostly grown for the tiny pretty multicoloured flowers and sometimes coloured leaves and stems, though here they are mostly green, the variety I had being green leaved with red stems. Have also grown cocoyam in other places, though where I live now gets too cold for it to survive winter. Steve from Hills Herbalists can grow it, where he lives is warmer than here. And some of the Rare Fruit Society folk grow it. Interesting way to cook the wild veg also.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
Spoiler: photo • show

potat pie

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
Ooh Kitty that looks really good!
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2021, 03:00:53 PM »
Ooh Kitty that looks really good!

thank you <3

im very proud of it. it's first time i did it in a circle.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2021, 03:10:19 PM »
Take a pack of cream, fat-riched enogh to be used as oil.
Using it as an oil, stew some bananas, cocoa-powder and anything else you want to see in the final result.
There will be no photo, cuz what you get looks like sh#t. But is wery delicious. You can use it with bread or icecream, or anything your heart desire.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

blabo

« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
This thread is gold. XoX

I hope I'll find the time to write down some recipes - and more importantly, to try yours :)

But before that, as a Southern-European who lived in Norway for some years, I'd like to share my favourite culinary jest from there. (I'm sure the Norwegians here will understand the joke.)

So here is the recipe for the world-renowned Norwegian Blueberry Cake, handed down from one generation to the next, which absolutely must be shared in the original language.

Norsk blåbærkake

Ingredienser:
Blåbær og kake.

Tilberedning:
Ta en kake og legg blåbær på den.
La den småkoke i fem minutter under omrøring.
Serveres varm med iskrem.
:it: + :gb: / :no: (anstendig) / :dk: (vil svare på norsk) / :fr: (un peu) / :nl: (een klein beetje)

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »
One of my favourite YouTube channels is Drachinifel, a "naval historiographer" who covers naval warfare from the earliest times to the mid-20th century with a mixture of hard facts, pop culture references (including Monty Python, Star Wars, Hitchhiker's Guide, and Warhammer 40K) and dry wit. His most recent video is about naval food (specifically, Royal Navy food) of the 18th Century, in which "Sir Drach" (as his fans often call him) does some practical food preparation and then consumes the results. You'll find his comments... illuminating. Lady Drach can he heard at times expressing some amusement at the process.

"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2021, 06:59:25 PM »
Norsk blåbærkake

Ingredienser:
Blåbær og kake.

Tilberedning:
(Returns from Google Translate)

I dunno ... that recipe seems terribly difficult!  ;D
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Tindveden

• Drink Coffee! Do Stupid Things Faster with More En
  • Preferred pronouns: She, her
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2021, 05:31:29 PM »
Ingredienser:
Blåbær og kake.

Tilberedning:

o_O :) :D ;D   :'D   

blabo

« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
Tee-hee, ok. I should specify that it's a shameless joke intended to make fun of the, um, stereotypical attitude of Norwegians towards food preparation, at least when compared to other cultures where ready-made meals are consumed (supposedly!) less frequently.

The recipe says "take a cake and put blueberries on top", followed by nonsensical instructions that would best fit the package of an instant soup ("let it simmer for five minutes", etc).

I remember that during my first week in Norway - at the time I was an exchange student there - I attended a presentation on the local culture and customs. It was tailored to be entertaining to us foreigners and meant to be both true and facetious at the same time. It was combining suggestions on how to spend our free time, like "we're all about winter sports and chess, you should join!", and silly random facts, like "we invented the cheese slicer" (or the paperclip, I'm not sure at the moment). At a certain point we were told that [a certain brand of] frozen pizza was Norway's most typical dish, and that Norwegians usually try to prepare food as fast as possible, and eat equally fast, in order to save time to go and enjoy life(!).

There I sat, squeezed between a French student to my left and a Spanish student to my right, all coming from places where the concepts of "enjoying life" and "eating food" are basically one and the same... looking at each other very confused and wondering whether we had heard that right. (:

To my Norwegian friends' credit I have to say that most of them actually do know their way around the kitchen, and regularly try to eat healthy food.

Still, it's completely true that most often they choose to do something else than cooking and baking, and they make way less of a deal about meals and stuff than, say, your (stereo)typical Italian. :)

I hope the joke did not come off as insulting. It was written in jest. Norway's traditional cuisine is actually very enjoyable.
:it: + :gb: / :no: (anstendig) / :dk: (vil svare på norsk) / :fr: (un peu) / :nl: (een klein beetje)

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
As requested from Roisin here is the recipe for the classic pound cake I made as an Easter/belated birthday cake last weekend.
From 123 Homemade recipes Bundt Cake by Karen Lucas. Recipe was listed as the Oh My Gosh Big Bundt Cake.
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 lb)
1 cup crisco shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
cream butter and shortening, adding sugar gradually. Add eggs one at a time, then the sour cream, beating well. Add the extracts and baking soda dissolved in hot water. Makes 9 cups of batter. Bake at 325F for 1 hour 20 minutes testing with toothpick or probe for the last 15 minutes. I preheated the cast iron pan at 450F and put in 2 Tbls shortening, brushing it around the pan until completely greased. Lower temperature to 325F to bake. My large cake took the full 1hr 20 min. and had in internal temp of over 205F. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes then loosen the sides with a pastry knife and place a plate on top and flip, slapping the top of the pan several times. I prefer to dust with confectioner's sugar to reduce calories but the recipe recommends a lemon glaze icing. Sorry for the non metric measurements.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/a5dd0b40ebde0029902e79460156d6d7/e1628023248cf86c-2b/s2048x3072/c94d309d26480ed6e0d6c92c14d5c9f91ff75e3f.jpg

:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #342 on: April 09, 2021, 02:07:51 AM »
Sounds wonderful! I shall try that when I have my oven back!

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
I'll throw in the easiest recipe I know of. Chocolate no-bakes. Aka Chocolate haystacks.

In a mixing bowl mix together:
3 1/2 cups of quick oats (1 minute oats)
1/4 cup cocoa powder

In a medium sized saucepan on med heat mix together:
1 stick of butter (1/2 a cup)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of milk
Simmer for 3 minutes

Add to sauce:
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir until peanut butter is melted

Pour Sauce mixture into oats and chocolate and stir until combined.
Eat right out of the bowl.
Or, set spoonfuls of No-bakes on a sheet of wax paper and leave to dry. The size of the spoonfuls doesn't really matter.

This is the first thing I ever learned to make when I was little so it's perfect for beginners.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:53:39 PM by Opaque »

Róisín

« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »
Opaque, that sounds a little like Chocolate Crackles, which has rice bubbles instead of the oats, or Cornflake cookies, which has cornflakes instead of the oats, and honey either instead of or as well as the chocolate. Funny how such no-bake sweets turn up all over the world!