Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 74170 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »
Of course you can! Useful information needs to be spread around. She is welcome to ask if she needs help with anything else on the subject.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2019, 12:19:36 AM »
Kebab recipe is now up.

Bonus recipe, My dad's rich Spaghetti sauce... well as I remember it anyway. I'm sure I messed something up.

1 lb pork breakfast sausage
1 lb lean ground beef
1 stoplight of bell peppers (one red, one green and one yellow bellpepper)
16 oz of beef, chicken or vegetable broth.
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 pounds fresh roma tomatoes
2-3 6 oz cans of tomato pastes
2 large sweet onions ~ 3 poinds of onion (red, yellow, it don't matter)
Burgundy wine to taste.

Spices to taste:
Salt
Pepper
Freshly minced garlic
Sweet oregano
Sugar

Directions:

Brown your ground beef in a large skillet, salt and pepper to taste, separate the grease and set the ground beef aside in a larger cookpot.

Use the same skillet to brown your breakfast sausage. Separate the grease and add that to the cookpot.

Dice and fry your onions till they're clear and starting carmelize, add your diced garlic, cook till the garlic has started to smell cooked, add this to your cookpot.

Put your cookpot on a low heat.

Deglaze the skillet with your broth, add that to the cookpot along with your crushed tomatoes and diced fresh romas.

The skillet can now go into the sink for cleaning.

Quarter and de-seed your bell peppers, roast and remove the outer skins, dice and add to your sauce, as well as your wine (I usually use about a cup and a half to two cups)

Mix in the tomato paste.

Add oregano, sugar and spices as you see fit.

Simmer for about an hour and a half, add more tomatoes or tomato paste in order to reach the consistency you seek, as well as spices as necessary to match the flavor profile you want.

Solokov's guide to roasting peppers of all flavors.

You will need:
Peppers (your choice of variety)
A cookie cooling rack
A paper bag (VERY IMPORTANT)
A knife with a wide flat edge
Cutting board.

So you want to make a "fire roasted" pepper like a pro now? Here's what you do, get yourself a pepper. Bell pepper, anaheim, jalepeno? it doesn't matter. Cut it open, remove the stem ribs and seeds. Into the trash that goes.

Now set your oven on broil and get a cookie cooling rack ready, place the peppers skin side up on the rack and pop it in the oven once it's too temperature. What you're going for is to blacken the skin, all of it on the pepper. Don't leave it in too long otherwise you'll start to dry out the flesh. A little smoke is not a bad thing.

Now pull the rack out, use some tongs. and drop those pepper pieces into the bag, roll it up and set it aside until the peppers have cooled down enough to touch.

Now, take the peppers out, lay them out on the cutting board skin side up.

Take the knife and use the flat dull side (not the cutting edge) and scrape along the skin. It will slough off like paper (if it doesn't you didn't broil the peppers long enough, but that's ok so long as your knife is sharp and your cuts are steady).

Trash the skin and then dice up the peppers as you see fit.

Now the reason you remove the skin after broiling it is because most peppers have a waxy layer in the skin that adds a bitterness to the pepper, and is part of the reason why a surprising amount of people do not like bell peppers because that bitterness bites, AND plays submarine during digestion so you'll burp up a bit of that bitterness for quite a while after the meal.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2019, 04:33:34 AM »
Useful recipe, Solokov! I gather you are cooking for a big family? Though sometimes if I don't know how many people I am feeding (numbers at my place can be wildly variable) I make a big lot of the recipe anyway, and if it is too much I freeze enough for several future meals. At least, I did that when I had a working freezer - mine recently died and it will be awhile before I can replace it.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
Useful recipe, Solokov! I gather you are cooking for a big family? Though sometimes if I don't know how many people I am feeding (numbers at my place can be wildly variable) I make a big lot of the recipe anyway, and if it is too much I freeze enough for several future meals. At least, I did that when I had a working freezer - mine recently died and it will be awhile before I can replace it.

My family is members of a community group, so the definition of "family" stretches out a bit, but I also have three older brothers and three uncle's, so yeah my dad picked up cooking for large groups, and I continue the tradition, though in my case that'd last a couple of weeks.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
Wow, Solokov, both recipes make for great reading, and sound like great eating, too!   :haw:
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #290 on: July 19, 2019, 02:50:16 AM »
Kebab recipe is now up.

Bonus recipe, My dad's rich Spaghetti sauce... well as I remember it anyway. I'm sure I messed something up.

1 lb pork breakfast sausage
1 lb lean ground beef
1 stoplight of bell peppers (one red, one green and one yellow bellpepper)
16 oz of beef, chicken or vegetable broth.
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 pounds fresh roma tomatoes
2-3 6 oz cans of tomato pastes
2 large sweet onions ~ 3 poinds of onion (red, yellow, it don't matter)
Burgundy wine to taste.

Spices to taste:
Salt
Pepper
Freshly minced garlic
Sweet oregano
Sugar

Directions:

Brown your ground beef in a large skillet, salt and pepper to taste, separate the grease and set the ground beef aside in a larger cookpot.

Use the same skillet to brown your breakfast sausage. Separate the grease and add that to the cookpot.

Dice and fry your onions till they're clear and starting carmelize, add your diced garlic, cook till the garlic has started to smell cooked, add this to your cookpot.

Put your cookpot on a low heat.

Deglaze the skillet with your broth, add that to the cookpot along with your crushed tomatoes and diced fresh romas.

The skillet can now go into the sink for cleaning.

Quarter and de-seed your bell peppers, roast and remove the outer skins, dice and add to your sauce, as well as your wine (I usually use about a cup and a half to two cups)

Mix in the tomato paste.

Add oregano, sugar and spices as you see fit.

Simmer for about an hour and a half, add more tomatoes or tomato paste in order to reach the consistency you seek, as well as spices as necessary to match the flavor profile you want.

I like what you did there. It's fairly similar to the beef and vegetable sauce I make for my roommates; I prefer to start the onions on medium heat in the stockpot until they're thoroughly sweated alongside a copious amount of garlic, add semi-finely chopped carrot & celery (sometimes saving the celery "leaves" to mince later as a garnish if you're out of parsley) until softening and lightly golden, then add your ground meat(s), and when it comes to part 2 of low simmer (first half is meat+veggies+tomato sauce, covered, second half is uncovered or loosely covered if you've a shallow pot and splattering is a problem), where you've got burgundy, I splash a bit of vodka, add some bay leaves, and a hefty chunk of unsalted butter. It adds a creamy cooling effect without causing discoloration, which is helpful if (like me) you like to add some crushed red pepper.

PS I also add two 1/8s of a single layer of onion 1 hour in. Once those large chunks are beginning to be properly translucent, you know your flavors have all gotten to know each other.

The Russian kitchen philosophy as far as I know it: if it doesn't taste right, keep adding things until it does (or you can't tell anymore).

Below: actually just made it today. This is about an hour in before the second half of simmering.

Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2019, 09:57:27 PM »
Asking for a friend, since a lot of people here seem to know things about pickling:
I'm trying to decide if these pickled peppers are ok. I know it has kahm yeast growing on it a little but no mold so I shouldn't be too worried but it has just the slightest itty bitty scent of sulfur to it amidst the peppers and uh I don't wanna poison anyone, it was about 2.5% by wt salt brine and research suggests it'll be ok if the pH is low enough which I'll test but
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2020, 08:33:34 PM »
Cake! Rose and cardamom depression cake with a lemon rose glaze... super easy super pretty and possibly the most delicious cake I've ever made:

Recipe under cut, adapted from this vanilla depression cake recipe:
Spoiler: show

Ingredients:
1 ½ c flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 to 1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ to 2 tsp rosewater
1 tsp vinegar (white, apple cider, etc)
5 tbsp oil
1 c water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Make sure it’s fully preheated before proceeding.
Mix dry ingredients in greased 8” pan
Make three divots in the dry ingredients, one larger than the others. Put the oil in the large one, and the extracts and the vinegar in the other two, respectively
Moving quickly, pour the water over the top and mix until smooth, being sure to scrape out the corners of the pan (I recommend using a spatula to mix)
Immediately put the pan in the oven, and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Cool, decorate as desired,* and enjoy!

*I used a powdered sugar and water glaze with lemon and a few drops of rosewater, and then did a powdered sugar stencil once it was cooled, but this would probably be really good with something with pistachios or pear in it, or just with whipped cream

Note: Makes one layer of 8” round or square cake; make multiple batches if you want a layer cake
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2020, 02:06:24 AM »
Wow! That looks wonderful. I must try it. I once made a sixtieth birthday cake for a friend, having discovered that chocolate and roses were her favourite flavours, and decorated it with dark red rose petals dipped in chocolate. She liked it.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
It's beautiful! And looks yummy!

What is "depression cake"? You make it and eat it and then you are less depressed? :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
What is "depression cake"? You make it and eat it and then you are less depressed? :)
I suspect it could be referring to recipes from the great depression - using the ingredients that were possible to attain during those hard times. Or it could just be an easy, inexpensive recipe that makes you feel good. I'm not an expert on this subject.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
Roisin. that cake sounds delicious (and beautiful!)

It's beautiful! And looks yummy!

It's a kind of cake from the Great Depression that doesn't contain eggs or dairy/butter, instead having baking soda and vinegar, and is thus both really easy to make and really moist and delicious (and, conveniently, vegan). Cake is a pretty great help to morale, though!

Róisín

« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2020, 05:32:08 AM »
Noodles, if you like that sort of recipe you may like the Australian CWA Cookbook (CWA being Country Women’s Association). Dunno if you can get it online, but It has a lot of good and economical recipes, many of them being of the kind you can whip up from what is in the pantry when unexpected guests arrive and need to be fed.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2020, 04:52:12 PM »
Yeah, a lot of my favorite recipes are from old cookbooks (more for desserts and Things Made Of Potatoes, there's a lot of kind of awful things that were done to vegetables back in the day) just because they tend to be practical and really tasty...my mom has a recipe book from the nursing home where my great-grandma lived that's just full of gems.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »
Okay, this thread isn't as long dormant as I'd feared!

The other day I snagged a couple of big bags of fresh, local, hand-picked wild blueberries, so I decided to make blueberry grunt. I'd not made if before, so I was quite surprised to find it isn't baked. Either my mother never made it, or I didn't pay attention when she did - probably the latter.  :(

It occurred to me that it would be the sort of thing one could make if you were out on the land... like for instance travelling through Silent Finland! I imagine Mikkel might be schlepping some flour and sugar (honey?) along, and if they found a nice patch of blueberries, they could have a beautiful dessert without much effort. Maybe it would even change Lalli's opinion of blueberries. Has anyone ever tried to make anything like this over a camp fire?

Blueberry Grunt (sorry about the mixed metric and Imperial measures, such is life in Canada)

1 litre fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 t sugar
1 tablespoon butter
Milk as required - roughly 1/2 cup

Combine dry ingredients, cut in butter, and add enough milk to dampen dough.
Place berries and sugar in a skillet or pot that has a well-fitting lid. Stir and cook until it just begins to bubble.
Drop dough by large spoonfuls over the bubbling berries.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Serve dumplings and sauce with your choice of topping - cream, ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc.

The SSSS crew would have to use water rather than milk, but it would probably still work, especially if they have some butter or lard. Delicious, quick, easy, should be possible to make over a campfire.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: