Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73427 times)

hexdit

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Quickest Book-reading in the West
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
And when making maple taffy somewhere without snow, a bucket of shaved ice works fine!
hmm, sounds cool...  in both senses.
native: :usa:
learning: :japan:
someday: :vaticancity: :finland:
"I don't care what I say, I like me" - Erma Bombeck

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Nettle Beer Recipe
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2018, 01:12:46 AM »
Nettle Beer
Ingredients
4 litres of water (rainwater is best)
750 g of nettle tips (about a shopping bag full). Only pick the first 10cm of the stem and young tender leaves; these taste better, and still leaves the rest of the plant to reshoot and provide food and habitat for a number of insects.
Juice of one lemon
Juice of one orange
750g brown or Demerara sugar
20g cream of tartar
Beer yeast (bread yeast will do in a pinch)
50g of chopped fresh dandelion root OR 50g of chopped fresh ginger root, NOT BOTH

Method
Bring water to the boil.
Pour it over the nettle tops in a bucket.
Cover and leave to steep overnight.
Strain liquid back into a large pot, add lemon and orange juice, ginger or dandelion, sugar and cream of tartar.
Heat and stir until sugar dissolves, but DO NOT BOIL.
Transfer into your vat or brewing jugs.
Leave to stand overnight, covered.
Add the yeast. You can do this the old-fashioned way, by spreading the yeast onto a piece of toast and floating it, yeast side down, on top of the liquid; or you can mix the yeast with tepid water and a little sugar and just add it to the liquid.
Cover the vat with a towel and leave to stand in a warm place for 3 days.
Skim off any surface scum, rack off carefully, leaving any sludge on the bottom.
Bottle (grolsch bottles are good) leaving about 5cm space at the top of the bottle.
Leave for a week or longer; serve cold.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Róisín

« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2018, 01:17:51 AM »
While I am posting recipes, here is something nice to eat hot with the cold beer.

CHEESE AND HAZELNUT PASTRY

INGREDIENTS:

200 grams/4 sheets of rough puff or butter puff pastry
Half a cup of hazelnut meal (you can use almond or cashew nut meal instead, or a mix of different nut meals)
1 cup grated cheese. (I use a mix of parmesan and aged cheddar, but you can use blue cheese, Edam, crumbled Havarti, goats' cheese,or any combination of cheeses you like
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
Pinch of salt
Nutmeg to taste (I use about half a teaspoonful, but not everyone likes so much)
Dried marjoram or basil to taste.
Cream

Preheat oven to 250C/480F.
Mix all the ingredients except the pastry, adding enough cream to make a thick paste. Spread each pastry sheet with a quarter of the mixture.
Cut the spread pastry into strips.
Twist each strip and place it on a lightly oiled baking tray.
Cook for 8 minutes. (Some ovens may need as much as 10 minutes)
Cool slightly on trays, lift off and serve while still warm.

Róisín

« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2019, 02:20:38 AM »
I put these up as a second chapter to 'How do I Do This Properly' over on Archive of Our Own, because several folk asked me for recipes for the food at Emil's feast. Since not everyone does Archive, thought I'd put them up here too.

THE RECIPES FOR EMIL’S FEAST

LOBSTER AND SEAWEED SOUP

Many recipes for lobster soup produce a bisque, a creamy soup. Those generally contain flour, butter, rice, cream or milk instead of only butter as this one does. This one makes a clearer soup.

Ingredients:

2 litres water (some recipes use dilute seawater. I prefer rainwater, since I think there is enough salt in the lobster and seaweed). This water will be used to make the stock, either by cooking the lobster in it first, then adding and simmering the stock vegetables until they are soft, or by simmering the shells, claws and scraps of lobster meat along with the stock vegetables to make the base for the stock. OR you can use two litres of chicken stock in which to cook the lobster and simmer the vegetables and shells. OR you can do the same with fish stock. Whatever you have or whatever you prefer.

1 large or two small lobsters (smaller lobsters are generally sweeter)

2 cups of finely cut stock vegetables ( carrots, celery, leek or onion, parsnips, alexanders root and stems - whatever you enjoy)

Half a cup of butter

Optional, but I like this: a cup of finely julienned vegetables: carrot, burdock root, celery, white beet, leek, young turnip, whatever you enjoy, to be added to the soup with the lobster meat, after the shells and stock vegetables have been removed.

A loosely filled cup of dried seaweed, less if you don’t like a strong seaweed flavour. You can use dulse, kelp, ulva (sea lettuce), laver, nori, or just about any edible seaweed, or a mix of several different ones. Only use carrageen if you are making a bisque style soup - it is delicious, but thickens and colours the broth more than other seaweeds. I like it better in cream soups or desserts.

Fresh herbs to taste (I use about a cupful, but I like my soup herby). Mostly parsley, but you can add dill, tarragon, marjoram, sorrel, even a little sage, lavender or rosemary. Herbs should be shredded just before adding to the soup when it is nearly ready. A few chopped spring onions, garlic greens, chives or suchlike for garnish.

A light grinding of black pepper to serve. Of course, in Minnaverse Iceland, pepper might not be easy to come by, even though it is easily cultivated in greenhouses or as a houseplant, but a readily available substitute in Northern Europe is the seeds of Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum), an umbelliferous herb and vegetable which has flavours of celery and pepper.

Method:

.Heat the stock or water to a rolling boil. Add the lobster (if you are cooking it from alive/raw). Once the lobster is cooked (usually five to ten minutes depending on size - the shell will turn red and the lobster meat will be firm and white all through), remove it from the water with tongs and put aside until cool enough to handle. Keep the stock warm on a very low heat while you dismember the lobster.

.As the meat is separated from the shell and the claws cracked and meat removed, add the empty  claws and bits of shell to the stock, along with the vegetables. Bring back to the boil and simmer, covered, for half an hour (longer on a lower heat gives a better flavour to my taste, but cooks differ).

.Strain the broth from the vegetables and shells. At this point the French style is to puree the shells and vegetables to a paste, push this through a sieve to remove any scraps of solid shell, and slowly blend the puree back into the broth, but if you want a light soup rather than a bisque, just strain the broth off, reserve it for the soup, and the scraps can be used later to make another lot of stock.

.While the broth simmers, tear the lobster meat into small pieces.

.Heat the butter in a pan until it is frothy and beginning to brown. Add the julienned vegetables if you are using those, stir until the vegetables are coated with butter and beginning to colour slightly, then add the pieces of lobster meat and toss lobster and vegetables in the hot butter for a few minutes. Both should be coloured but not heavily browned.  .

Add these to the broth. Simmer until the meat is heated through and the vegetables cooked al dente, which usually only takes a few minutes. Add the fresh herbs at this point and turn off the heat.

.Lightly toast the seaweed, either in a dry frying pan on the stovetop or on a baking tray for a few minutes in a hot oven, until it is crisp and brittle but not burned.

. Serve in heated bowls, garnished with spring onions and toasted seaweed. Top with ground pepper or ground seeds of alexanders.

Serves 2 or 3 as a main meal, 6 as a starter.

WHOLE BAKED SALMON

Choose a small fresh whole salmon, or one fillet for each person dining. Fresh fish has a clean sea smell, smooth bright scales, firm flesh and the eyes are not sunken or dull. Clean and gut the fish. Wipe out the body cavity. If using a whole fish, stuff the cavity with finely sliced apple and celery or fennel root and about half the quantity of ground hazelnuts as you have used apple/fennel/celery. Add sage or tarragon to taste, and a sprinkle of seaweed if you like, and moisten the stuffing with lemon juice. If using fillets, lay them on a bed of the stuffing. Dab with butter. Cook in a hot oven (360F/185C) for about 20 minutes per pound of fish, or until the fish flakes easily when you twist a fork in it. Serve with a slice of lemon.

ROAST LAMB WITH VEGETABLES

Choose a suitable lamb cut for roasting (leg or shoulder are the usual cuts). Meat should be firm and pink with a layer of fat. Preheat the oven to 360F/185C. Use a small sharp knife to make cuts between the fat layer or skin and the meat. Insert flavouring herbs such as small sprigs of rosemary, slivers of angelica root (they are in Iceland, after all), sage leaves, cloves of garlic or the herbs you like best. Place the roast on a baking tray, place around it suitable vegetables for roasting, cut into pieces of about the same size (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, skirret, salsify, beets, turnips, sweet potato or whatever you like), dab with a little butter and season with salt and a few more sprigs of rosemary. Roast for about 20 minutes per pound of meat, turning the vegetables halfway through the process. When the meat is cooked (juice is clear when pierced with a skewer, meat is still tender) remove the meat to a serving platter, raise the heat slightly and return the vegetables to the oven for ten minutes to crisp up. Let the meat rest for ten minutes before carving to allow the fibres to loosen, and serve in thin slices carved across the grain. You can serve with gravy, mint sauce, finely chopped fresh herbs or whatever you like, but it is fine without further seasoning. If you prefer your meat rare, take it out of the oven sooner.

The roast can be accompanied by green vegetables such as green beans, baby peas, asparagus, broccoli florets, cabbage or whatever you please.

DECADENT BUT HEALTHY CAKE

Make a shortcake base. This one is quick and easy, but if you have a favourite shortcake recipe of your own, use that instead. The trick with shortcake is to mix it only until any pockets of flour in the mix are incorporated into a smooth batter. If you over-mix shortcake it cooks to a tough hard texture rather than light and fluffy, and you want light and fluffy to complement the fruit and cream.

Ingredients:

.Half a cup of softened butter
.1 cup of fine, caster or granulated sugar (yes, you can use beet sugar if you make it fine, which you can do by whizzing it in a blender if you have modern tech, or running it through a fine sieve if you don’t. Just press the granulated sugar through the fine sieve with the back of a metal spoon. Fiddly, but it works. But in our modern non-Minnaverse world we can just use the granulated or caster sugar made from sugar cane).
.Half a cup of buttermilk
.2 eggs
.One and a half cups of all purpose flour (I use one cup of flour and half a cup of almond or hazelnut meal, but I like nutmeal in my shortcake)
.Half a teaspoonful of salt
.Two teaspoonsful of baking powder
.In our world, one teaspoonful of vanilla essence (post-apoc Iceland may or may not have vanilla essence. The plant would happily grow in a greenhouse, but pollinating the flowers by hand and processing the fruits may not be within their skill set). In the absence of vanilla, i would use an extract or tincture of elderflowers, sweetgrass, or best of all sweet woodruff, waldmeister or vanilla bedstraw (Galium odoratum), which grows commonly in Fennoscandia.

Method:

.Preheat the oven to 425F/220C
.Lightly grease an 8x8 caketin or 10 cups on a muffin tray
.Cream butter and sugar with a spoon, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy
.Fold in the buttermilk, lightly beaten eggs and vanilla or equivalent until evenly mixed
.Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into the bowl over the moist ingredients, and mix until no dry pockets remain
.Bake for around 20 minutes, or until the cake springs back when pressed and a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean.
.Allow the cake to cool, and serve with whipped cream and fruit. Fruit can be either sliced fresh or marinated in lemon or orange juice, wine or brandy. All berry fruit is good (strawberries are traditional), one can also use peaches, apricots or whatever you find pleasing.
.Cream whips much better when it is cold, and holds peaks better when whipped in a cold bowl. You can sweeten the cream with a touch of sugar, maple syrup, honey or a few drops of a fruit liqueur
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:29:24 AM by Róisín »

Krillian

• Life's too short sometimes.
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:14 PM »
It's always summer somewhere!
Can confirm, in my region of Brazil its always summer. Just either wet or dry summer.
Native - :brazil:
Fluent - :usa: - :uk:
Can hold small talk - :spain:
Actively Learning - :france: ; :germany: ; :wales: ; :netherlands:

Iceea

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
I put these up as a second chapter to 'How do I Do This Properly' over on Archive of Our Own, because several folk asked me for recipes for the food at Emil's feast. Since not everyone does Archive, thought I'd put them up here too.

THE RECIPES FOR EMIL’S FEAST

Róisín, those sound wonderful. Thank you so very much for posting them here. We do a lot of salmon, usually fillets, I'll have to try that one for sure. And the lobster seaweed soup. In my case it will all go into the blender but I enjoy the preparation, the smells, and I do stick my finger in it to get the taste ;)
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

loooongtea

« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58285/easy-homemade-potatoes-au-gratin-recipe/

I've made these on several different occasions. They are fantastic.

Róisín

« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:47 PM »
Lovely gratin recipe. I make something similar, but I cook the potatoes first for about 15 minutes with the top open before putting on the cheese topping and returning the dish to the oven to crisp up the top. Also, because while I am myself not vegetarian but am often cooking for people who are, I may add either to the topping or to the cream sauce such things as finely ground oatmeal, nutmeal or pine nuts- way to get a bit more protein and calcium into their diets! Crispy nutmeal topping may be acceptable to those who don't eat cheese.

Róisín

« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2019, 12:51:09 AM »
Was writing this up for a workshop on using the herbs in our Community Garden, and thought it might be useful to put up here. Enjoy!

GROW AND PREPARE YOUR OWN TEA HERBS

Making your own herbal teas is easy and fun, saves you money, and they usually taste better than bought ones and can be crafted to your own tastes. Herbs have a huge range of flavours and uses, so you can mix and match them to make your own blends.

If you read about herb teas in a cookery book, self-sufficiency book or herbal you may find some confusing terms for the processes involved in making them. Some basic terms and techniques:

INFUSION: an ordinary tea. If you have ever made a pot of tea from common tea leaves you have made ‘an infusion of the fermented and dried leaves of Camellia thea or Camellia sinensis’. Basically an infusion is made by pouring boiling water over fresh or dried plant material, leaving it to steep (soak) for a short time, and pouring or straining the liquid off the dregs. Infusions may be sweetened with honey, sugar or maple syrup if needed, or the flavour of bitter medicinal herbs can be masked with nicer tasting herbs or spices such as peppermint, orange peel, cardamon,  camomile, cinnamon, lemongrass, ginger or fennel, many of which can also enhance the flavours and properties of the main herbs in the recipe.

COLD INFUSION: used for herbs whose flavour or active ingredients will be damaged by exposure to heat. These may be delicate flowers such as borage, or plants such as rue, of which some of the active ingredients are very volatile oils, which would evaporate and be lost if heated, or mistletoe leaf which contains alkaloids very easily broken down by heat. A cold infusion is made by steeping the herb in cold water in a covered cup for at least a few hours and preferably overnight, then straining and drinking the liquid.

TISANE: the French word for a herb tea, nowadays used in English for very delicate herb teas, often made from flowers or tiny leaf buds. Tisanes are made with warm, not boiling water, and must always be steeped covered so that the perfume and flavour are not lost.

DECOCTION: a method for making herb teas from hard, tough or woody materials: seeds, bark, or tough leathery leaves. If you have ever made a pot of Turkish coffee you have made ‘a decoction of the dried, roasted and ground seeds of Coffea arabica’. The material is first steeped in cold water, then brought slowly to the boil, simmered for a few minutes, left to steep for a further few minutes in the hot water and then strained off the dregs and used.

If you are making a herb tea which includes materials best prepared by different methods, for example a digestive tea that includes dandelion root which works best as a decoction, and peppermint or fennel which keep their flavour and properties better when prepared as an infusion, prepare the different herbs separately then combine the two teas before serving.

METHODS OF DRYING HERBS FOR FUTURE USE:

Flowers and tiny delicate leaves and buds (gemmæ): these should be dried in the shade or under cover. For herbs where only the petals are used, such as calendula and roses, the petals should be pulled off the centre of the flower and dried separately, as the fleshy base of the flower will not dry as thoroughly as the petals and may go mouldy.  As for all herb drying, the plant material should have good air circulation all around. Dry your herbs spread out on something which allows air to circulate around the material. Corrugated cardboard, an old clean flywire windowscreen, a piece of muslin or old lace curtain spread over something like a cake cooling rack or an empty picture frame, muslin or clean paper spread on the racks of a herb dryer or a cabinet clothes dryer all work well, or a ‘hammock’ made from an old lace curtain. Once thoroughly dry, the herbs should be stored in an airtight container with something to absorb moisture, like a silica sachet from a pill bottle. My gran used to store her dried herbs in old biscuit tins lined with brown paper. This method works well for rose petals, calendula petals and whole borage flowers. Protect the dried material from direct sunlight.

Whole herb plants: for plants where the entire plant is useful, such as nettles, the whole plants can be harvested. Once the plant is dug up and the dirt knocked off or washed from the roots, the whole plants can be tied into loose bundles and hung with roots up and tops down in an airy shaded place (a shaded porch, shed or garage) to dry. If the herbs are likely to drop leaves or seeds they can be hung in a brown paper bag (not plastic!), or an old pillow case. When I dry nettles I suspend the bunches over an old sheet and collect any seeds that fall, both for propagating more plants and because the seeds are edible and delicious, rather like sesame seeds. When the plants are dry the leaves can be stripped and stored separately for making tea or nettle beer, adding to food or making creams or tinctures, while the roots and stems can be saved for making a yellow dye.

This method can be used for most culinary or medicinal herbs: sage, rosemary, thyme, betony, American bergamot (horsemint), oregano and mountain tea and many others. Leaves are ready to store when they crumble crisply when rubbed.

Roots and tubers: this is the method used for such herbs as chicory, dandelion, orris root and other fleshy roots, valerian and angelica roots and for tubers such as Disa bracteata, a weedy African orchid the tubers of which make delicious salep. This method is also useful for drying soup vegetables such as carrots, parsnips and turnips.

Once the roots or tubers are dug up they should be washed, and any fibrous roots, bruised, damaged or insect-eaten bits removed, and peeled if necessary, though it rarely is. Any buds or green tops should also be removed, since they may start growing again, even if the roots look completely dry. The roots or tubers should then be finely sliced. The thinner the slices, the faster they dry. The slices should be spread out in a single layer, not touching one another, on paper, muslin, flywire or corrugated cardboard laid over something like an old cake rack that allows air to circulate. They can be placed to dry in the sun, or in a warm place inside. I dry mine on a rack in front of the wood heater, suspended where hot air rises from the heater, or on a sunny windowsill. Drying can be finished off in a very low oven if needed, but watch carefully that the slices do not burn.

Once dried, and cooled to room temperature if they have been oven-dried, the slices of root or tuber can be stored in the same way as leafy herbs. But be aware that the pieces can look dry on the surface while still being damp enough inside to go mouldy. To test dryness, bend a few slices. If they snap like a biscuit they are dry enough to store safely. If the slices feel rubbery, or bend rather than snapping, they still need further drying. The dried material can later be roasted to enrich the flavour if you are making a coffee substitute like dandelion or chicory ‘coffee’, or ground finely to make a tincture or tea from herbs such as elecampane, or to make orris root powder for potpourri, perfumes or dry shampoo.

The Herbs:
Thyme
Prostanthera
Mints such as applemint, native mints, chocolate mint, peppermint, spearmint, basil mint and druid’s mint. Moroccan mint makes an especially delicious mint tea for serving with meals, and was considered the best for drinking with rich or fatty food (such as roast lamb) to assist digestion. Japanese mint is less enjoyable as a tea, being less richly flavoured than Moroccan mint or English peppermint or spearmint, though it is the preferred mint for the extraction of menthol.
Correa
Sage
Lemongrass (both native and tropical)
Chinese Artichoke (leaves taste like those of betony)
Rosemary
Eucalyptus
Kunzea
Melaleuca
Feverfew
Sideritis
Bergamot
Bacopa
Oregano
Geranium/Pelargonium
Withania
Chicory (flowers for teas, roots for coffee)
Waxflower
Dianthus (flowers have a sweet clove flavour)
Hardenbergia
Salvia
Stachys including S. byzantica (lambs ear).
 Myrtus species, both native and European
Native and European hollyhock
Melissa
Hyssop
Tarragon
Mugwort
Strawberry leaf
Wattle blossoms
  Karkalla flowers
Hardenbergia
Lavender
Hops
Violet
Costmary
Yarrow
Broad bean flowers
Fennel
Raspberry leaf
Rosemary
Calendula (leaves and flowers)
Tagetes
American Bergamot
Melissa
Diosma
Pennywort
Catnip
Germander
Olive leaf

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
Wow, thank you for all the details Róisín! I never knew there were so many types of tea, and how easy it is to make herbal teas yourself!

Since I've managed to keep all my succulents alive for the past 4 years, I figure it's time I branched out (ha! pun intended) into growing some other plants. I don't have a garden, sadly, but the apartment I'm moving into has plenty of window-space, so I was thinking about growing some herbs. Now I know what I'm going to do with them!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »
Glad it is useful, Ana! And looking back at the list I realised that because it was written for the users of a community garden in South Australia, some of the individual herbs would be unfamiliar to an American, Canadian or European. But the general principles of processing and preparation are the same everywhere.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
Wow, what a repository of info!  I admit to knowing little about herbs and similar plant medicine.  The inclusion of strawberry and raspberry leaves intrigues me, and wouldn't I want the broad beans to keep their flowers, to make beans?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
Solokov's New Mexican style chicken kebab.

For this, you will need the following ingredients:

8 chicken breasts

2cups plain yogurt (greek preferably)

1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar

Garlic 3 cloves minced

1 tbsp salt

2 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp cayenne

1 ½ tbsp. cumin

2 tbsp oil

3 limes worth of juice

Half a lime (unjuiced)

Half an onion

A skewer hefty enough to handle it all

A baking dish.

Bell peppers, sliced or quartered onions, and diced green chilis (hatch green chilis for that authentic NM taste) all to your discretion and taste.

Directions: slice your chicken breasts in half so you have 16 cutlets/tenderloins/whatever you want to call them, put them in a dish and set them aside.

Thoroughly mix the above spice load (salt, sugar, garlic, paprika, cayenne and cumin) in a large mixing bowl with your oil, lime juice and yogurt. Pour the marinade over your chicken, mix thoroughly and marinade in the fridge for an hour.

Jam your skewer into the onion (cut side down so you have a base to build your kebab from), and begin skewering the chicken through the flat side, rather than lengthwise. Build your towering kebab largest to smallest cut, and alternate the orientation of each cut. Top your skewer with the half a lime.

Add your sliced and diced peppers, onions and any other vegetables you feel like adding to this cacophony of flavor to the disk, and then bake in an oven (measure your oven first so you know how large of a kebab you can actually make) at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (~200 Celsius)  for one hour.

You can now slice from the kebab itself, or deskewer and dice it up on a cutting board like the heathen you are.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:47:38 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
Wavewright, I often grow broad beans as a cover crop or green manure, so have way more than I can eat or give away. I find them very tasty, good for making dip as well as roasting and putting in soup. And some people make wine or tea from the pods. Broad bean flowers also go in salads. Did you know the tops are edible asa green?
All bramble and berry leaves are edible in teas, except huckleberries. They have tannins like Camellia tea, and taste sort of astringent-sweet. Nice.

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
Oh Roisin, thank you so much for sharing this information! My plant experiments have been mostly relegated to collecting nettles for fiber, and childhood dabbles with 'pine needle tea'. This is so inspiring! Also, I am realizing I've never been through this particular thread before... plenty of other fun surprises await me, I'm guessing  :)

I have a friend who is very interested in herbcrafts, would it be alright if I showed this to her? She's not in the Stand Still community.