Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 72150 times)

beergood

Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
That's not a bad idea at all. I've had herring flavoured with lime and gin, I've been thinking of trying to replicate that.

Also considering bourbon.
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #256 on: December 10, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
Okay!
Cold soup, about which I spoke, is called beetroot soup and as the name suggests it is made from beetroot.
First one or two (depending on how much soup you want), beets are rubbed on a grater or very finely cut. All this is put in a pan, poured with water as a regular soup, water is brought to a boil and cooked before the beet is ready. After this, in this broth pour out the juice of two lemons and leave to cool.
Then make a salad. Here again depending on the desire, the ingredients can be different. I make a salad of cucumber, onion feathers, radish and boiled eggs. If there is no radish, then it can be replaced with Bulgarian pepper. All the ingredients are cut into cubes and mixed. I make this soup several times, so I store the broth and lettuce in the refrigerator separately.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
Okay!
Cold soup, about which I spoke, is called beetroot soup and as the name suggests it is made from beetroot.
First one or two (depending on how much soup you want), beets are rubbed on a grater or very finely cut. All this is put in a pan, poured with water as a regular soup, water is brought to a boil and cooked before the beet is ready. After this, in this broth pour out the juice of two lemons and leave to cool.
Then make a salad. Here again depending on the desire, the ingredients can be different. I make a salad of cucumber, onion feathers, radish and boiled eggs. If there is no radish, then it can be replaced with Bulgarian pepper. All the ingredients are cut into cubes and mixed. I make this soup several times, so I store the broth and lettuce in the refrigerator separately.

Yes, borscht!  (The Russian word for this soup has been adopted into English.)  I have just harvested my spring crop of beetroot and can confirm that this is mightily good.  It coincides with the lemonade fruit and salad vegetables in my garden coming into season, too.  Mmmm, I will make some tonight, I think, thank you for that.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
Hmmm, wavewright62 but is not borscht  ;D
Oh, those Russians and their thousand recipes! In fact, between the borscht (which there are several species) and beetroot, there is one big difference. Borscht is eaten hot, and beetroot is cold. And in the beetroot, as far as I know the original recipe, there is no meat or any of its substitutes. In short, these are different dishes.
Sorry for the tediousness.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #259 on: December 14, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
Hmmm, wavewright62 but is not borscht  ;D
Oh, those Russians and their thousand recipes! In fact, between the borscht (which there are several species) and beetroot, there is one big difference. Borscht is eaten hot, and beetroot is cold. And in the beetroot, as far as I know the original recipe, there is no meat or any of its substitutes. In short, these are different dishes.
Sorry for the tediousness.

Oh, not tedious at all!  I appreciate the correction, in fact, thank you.  I'm still going to try the soup. 
(We don't have any decent sorrel here for shchav - sorrel soup.)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #260 on: December 14, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
You don't have sorrel? Try young leaves of dock or oxalis (soursops). Also buckwheat leaves and sheep sorrel (Rumex acetosella, which is the one I like best).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #261 on: December 14, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
We always ate borscht cold; with a dollop of sour cream, and an ice cube, in it.

That may however be the Ashkenazi version.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2017, 12:10:19 AM »
We always ate borscht cold; with a dollop of sour cream, and an ice cube, in it.

That may however be the Ashkenazi version.
That's how my husband likes it (sans trhe ice cube).

Róisín

« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2017, 12:20:18 AM »
I've had it both ways, except my Estonian friends who make it put lemon juice in the cold version. Both are good.

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
I remembered another recipe that might be interesting. This is an old Russian dish, and I doubt that I can translate its name properly. But if you try, it's an oatmeal old grumbling woman, that is, an oatmeal.

The recipe for a pie, if you can call it that, is very simple. Take oatmeal, a couple of eggs, one glass of sugar or honey (if you use honey, you need less, because it is very sweet) and 100 grams of butter (in general, the amount of ingredients depends on how big a pie you want). You can also add dried berries and nuts. All this is mixed up. Oatmeal is needed so that the dough is thick, but it is soaked with a mixture of sugar (honey), eggs and butter, I usually take a glass two. The dough is laid out in a mold and baked in the oven for about half an hour, until golden brown.

This cake is dry enough, so I eat it with milk. Some add different sauces or jam.

refract3d

« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »
So I just made one of my favorite go-to comfort dishes for the first time in over half a year! Mostly because it's really easy and I finally found my jar of popcorn.

It's basically just popcorn, but ~healthier~ and more satisfying than fake-butter-coated microwave stuff. Popcorn, but a meal. I sometimes refer to it as "spicecorn."

Ingredients:
-popcorn (from a jar or plastic baggie/however it is sold. bulk, not prepackaged for microwave use.)
-coconut oil (or other oil?)
-cheese or cheese substitute (I have some issues with dairy)
-nutritional yeast (I use Braggs but anything similar works. Not the same as brewer's/baker's yeast)
-salt (sea salt is good! or himalayan etc. but regular salt is probably fine)
-herbs and spices - today I used Penzey's cajun seasoning and basil and a little penzey's fox point, but you can use whatever you like! I usually like something somewhat spicy rounded out with some other flavors. More spice and garlic when feeling sick, less otherwise.

Put a spoonful of coconut oil in a small-to-medium pot and let it melt. It should be enough to cover the bottom. Put 4-5 kernels of popcorn in the pot over medium heat. When they all pop, add enough kernels to cover the bottom. Shake to coat them in oil. Wait. If the lid is lifted by popcorn, pour some off into a large bowl. Then wait for the popping to slow. Turn off the heat and pour the rest into the bowl.

Now, add your cheese and a little more coconut oil. Stir it around with your spoon so it melts. Add yeast, salt, and herbs/spices to taste. Enjoy!

I use the spoon to eat it so that the spices are more distributed and don't all collect at the bottom and your hands stay clean while you are doing something else (like typing). You can of course dig in with your hands like it's regular popcorn.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:42:13 PM by refract3d »
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

hexdit

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Quickest Book-reading in the West
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
hexdit's Curry Paste

1 stick butter
garlic powder (to taste)
crushed garlic (to taste)
dill(to taste)
that Thai seasoning you find in the veggie section of San Francisco Safeways (or omit this, it'll be fine)(to taste)
chives (to taste)
cornstarch and/or flour (2tsp)
CURRY POWDER (VERY IMPORTANT) (to taste)
basil (if you arn't using the Thai seasoning, omit this) (to taste)
parsly (to taste)

HOW TO MAKE

• melt the butter
  • add all the seasonings
  • ]add the flour
  • cook for 2 minutes
  • eat on everything (goes well with rice)
native: :usa:
learning: :japan:
someday: :vaticancity: :finland:
"I don't care what I say, I like me" - Erma Bombeck

C8H8

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
Here is a recipe for maple taffy.

Ingredients:
-Snow (clean preferably)
-Maple syrup (No specific amount)
-Saucepan
-Long Bucket for compacted snow
-Optional: Candy Thermometer
-Popsicle sticks

Steps:
-Pack a LOT of snow into the bucket and keep it in a cold place
-Put all the maple syrup into the saucepan
-Heat up maple syrup on stove (No particular temperature setting). Keep heating it up until you are satisfied with the thickness. if you want to be more precise, use the candy thermometer and keep the syrup going until it is ~115 Celsius.
-Once you are finished heating syrup, quickly bring it over to the snow and  pour the syrup into strips (your choice of size, just not too large) and push the stick into the taffy and roll it up.

Enjoy! You may need some help finding snow in the summer. But during this winter it is really great.
Native:

can attempt:

learning:

hexdit

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Quickest Book-reading in the West
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2018, 01:27:22 AM »
Here is a recipe for maple taffy.

Ingredients:
-Snow (clean preferably)
-Maple syrup (No specific amount)
-Saucepan
-Long Bucket for compacted snow
-Optional: Candy Thermometer
-Popsicle sticks

Steps:
-Pack a LOT of snow into the bucket and keep it in a cold place
-Put all the maple syrup into the saucepan
-Heat up maple syrup on stove (No particular temperature setting). Keep heating it up until you are satisfied with the thickness. if you want to be more precise, use the candy thermometer and keep the syrup going until it is ~115 Celsius.
-Once you are finished heating syrup, quickly bring it over to the snow and  pour the syrup into strips (your choice of size, just not too large) and push the stick into the taffy and roll it up.

Enjoy! You may need some help finding snow in the summer. But during this winter it is really great.
ohh, I've been wondering how to do this!
native: :usa:
learning: :japan:
someday: :vaticancity: :finland:
"I don't care what I say, I like me" - Erma Bombeck

Róisín

« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2018, 05:38:34 AM »
And when making maple taffy somewhere without snow, a bucket of shaved ice works fine!