Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108062 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #645 on: April 26, 2021, 05:52:23 PM »
you'll know where to find me.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #646 on: April 26, 2021, 06:02:07 PM »
Hm, sorry to say this, but personally I feel that this kind of moderation is why some of us felt it wasn't possible to talk about difficult but important issues in the forum previously. To me, this is too close to "be tolerant about intolerance" for comfort. Nobody here ever said that people who like LP are bad, and I don't appreciate this being claimed. I am aware they would not be having a good time reading this thread, but unless you are planning to get rid of all the previous 40 pages, what's done is done and I can't see what difference it makes, to them, what we write at this point - however for those of us who were rattled by the comic, the commiserating helps, as multiple people have said.

To be clear: in my case, I've been commenting here specifically because, as far as she said, Minna is not reading the forum. I'm sure that having this space to vent is keeping a lot of the criticism off disqus (and by extension, Minna's face). The complaints will likely spill elsewhere if you decide to put an end to it. Might want to keep that in mind. (Not from me, I'm hopefully almost done thinking about LP at this point)

???

I've seen 40 pages of comments most but not all of them saying that it's in one way or another a bad comic and a bad aftertext. I do not see 40 pages of comments saying that anyone who liked it is a bad person. Trying to explain to others why we see bad things in the comic is not the same thing. Concern that the comic may attract a readership some but not all of whom may be bad people is not the same thing.

Which is a point. But what's the alternative? That people who are distressed should all suffer separately in silence?

In case you are both worried, we have no intention of stopping the discussion, nor of moderating it more heavily than we already have unless it deteriorates significantly (which I hope won't happen). My post was intended mostly to highlight how a cumulative message can read very differently to a single message and to be mindful that this might be why others are getting more upset than you might consider appropriate for the content here. The "40+ pages of comments telling them that if they like this content, they are bad people", was a poor way of phrasing this exaggerated interpretation and I apologise. It was past my bedtime when I posted (and even later now). This thread has exhausted me this last month, as I'm sure it has for many other people, but I shall try to be more mindful in the future. Unlike those people who enjoyed LP, unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of stopping reading this thread, so it would be a good idea on my part not to start causing trouble I and the others have to moderate!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:06:44 PM by Gwenno »
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »
*huuuuuuuuuuugs Gwenno*

Thank you for the work you do!
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »
The unfortunate part about this is that it seems he already read at least a good portion of the thread which people hoped would never reach him/Minna/the rest of the family. Welp, what can you do?

True. However, if Haiz leaves now, that won't fix that.

[ETA: I note that so far, at least, instead of leaving they're providing excellent artwork commentary!]

In case you are both worried, we have no intention of stopping the discussion, nor of moderating it more heavily than we already have unless it deteriorates significantly (which I hope won't happen). My post was intended mostly to highlight how a cumulative message can read very differently to a single message and to be mindful that this might be why others are getting more upset than you might consider appropriate for the content here. The "40+ pages of comments telling them that if they like this content, they are bad people", was a poor way of phrasing this exaggerated interpretation and I apologise. It was past my bedtime when I posted (and even later now). This thread has exhausted me this last month, as I'm sure it has for many other people, but I shall try to be more mindful in the future. Unlike those people who enjoyed LP, unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of stopping reading this thread, so it would be a good idea on my part not to start causing trouble I and the others have to moderate!

Thank you, Gwenno; and thank you very much for your time.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #649 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:16 PM »
@Gwenno thank you so much for riding herd on this thread specifically but also for the work you and other admins do for the whole forum!

@Haiz Please don't leave! You're awesome! :) I love KSBD and I thought I was following Abbadon on Twitter but I definitely missed that. He's not wrong about the creator/fanbase relationship, unfortunately.

Kinda feel bad about Minna's dad dropping in pretty much just to say he was done with saying anything. :( His perspective would have been/is welcome, imo. That still crosses the "creator/fanbase" line in some next-level ways though. It's really a huge burden to put on the parent of the content creator.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2021, 07:59:30 PM »
Kinda feel bad about Minna's dad dropping in pretty much just to say he was done with saying anything. :( His perspective would have been/is welcome, imo. That still crosses the "creator/fanbase" line in some next-level ways though. It's really a huge burden to put on the parent of the content creator.

I felt bad too, it was eating at me a little while I was making bread this afternoon. I had to stop multiple times in the middle of kneading to draft up a message to him, just to say that I wished he had felt more welcome to present his perspective and let us find common ground with each other. His position is difficult in a way none of ours is. If he's a man of his word and never comes back here, he won't read it, but I had to try.

(heh eating)
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2021, 08:34:26 PM »
I too will be sorry to lose Jouni. As you say, another perspective. And I also would have liked to talk to him in real life. But his call. Sad though.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
If the takeaway from reading all the pages in this discussion that we are Too Harsh on Minna and or her fans and or family, then i cant wait to see their reaction to what i REALLY think about each and every one of them.

Call me "close minded" but i dont see any value in  the perspective of anyone who still sees nothing wrong with all of it, even after all of this discussion.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2021, 11:59:01 PM »
I too will be sorry to lose Jouni. As you say, another perspective. And I also would have liked to talk to him in real life. But his call. Sad though.

I rather doubt the conversation would have gone anywhere useful.

I've tried several times to draft a reaction to his post here; but that also tends to go nowhere useful.

catbirds

« Reply #654 on: April 27, 2021, 12:03:52 AM »
True. However, if Haiz leaves now, that won't fix that.

[ETA: I note that so far, at least, instead of leaving they're providing excellent artwork commentary!]

LOL yes, it's an excellent drawing! The bunny comic, distilled to its simplest theme (minus christianity).

On the one hand I feel like this should be something that the family resolves on their own time/in their own interactions, but on the other hand I feel kind of bad for him getting this confused. But yes, it absolutely does cross the creator/fanbase line, albeit in a roundabout way. If he did read the entire thread, though, I'd have hoped he learned something about others' perspectives, but I guess not. Ah. Well. I'll throw in the towel on that prospect for either of them.

Realistically speaking, him speaking directly with Minna will be much more helpful. Not in the getting her to change her views way at all, just in the getting a grasp on each other's situation kind of way. This has become a family issue of sorts, after all.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #655 on: April 27, 2021, 01:05:10 AM »
Realistically speaking, him speaking directly with Minna will be much more helpful. Not in the getting her to change her views way at all, just in the getting a grasp on each other's situation kind of way. This has become a family issue of sorts, after all.
I'm not sure it will be helpful, and that's the sad part.

If, after reading this thread, he still doesn't have any grasp of the problematic nature of LP and (more importantly), why people have reacted the way we have to the comic and even more so our reaction to Minna's writeup at the end ... I have to conclude that he sees nothing wrong with where she's at and is himself part of the problem. Which is a shame and I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, even if he did understand - and maybe he does - what could he say to his daughter to get *her* to understand?

Regardless. It's not an "us" problem. It's a "them" problem and I suspect they don't see it as a problem.

All we can do is what we've done here - try to sort out our feelings and move on.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #656 on: April 27, 2021, 01:54:51 AM »
Regardless of how good your point is, how gently phrased, or how close you feel to a person having reading their comments or consumed their work for years, having hundreds of people telling you that you did poorly is going to drain you. This goes for Minna, but also for Minnions who enjoyed LP, but now have 40+ pages of comments telling them that if they like this content, they are bad people. All of these individual posts perfectly civil, and making valid points about people's experiences and the context of the comic, but they can add up to a pretty negative message overall.
My post was intended mostly to highlight how a cumulative message can read very differently to a single message and to be mindful that this might be why others are getting more upset than you might consider appropriate for the content here.
Let me make a caricature of this argument (yes, caricatures are by definition exaggerated) to show you why I'm not readily accepting its inherent logic as valid:

Hmmm, I (creator) should try out this Interwebz thing.
Ooooh, a hundred times as many people patting me on the back! I'm famous now!
Umh, wait, there's a hundred times as many people pecking on me now, too.
Bad people! Leave my corner of the Interwebz!

Yes, I'm aware that communicating in the Internet is not always just a ceteris paribus hundredfold of your RL social circle, that there are amplification effects and that the percentage of "bad eggs" is not necessarily exactly the same on both sides, but that doesn't make it reasonable to expect something along the lines of "multiplied yay but not more nay (in absolute numbers) than before". (Not to forget that if something like that were to happen, the addressee would quite likely go "you're so in the minority with that negative opinion" next.)

You want to tell people that they're worse persons online than in RL? Go ahead, but they'll put more burden of proof on you than "just look how many you are [here in the Place Of Many]" is going to fulfill.

To be clear: in my case, I've been commenting here specifically because, as far as she said, Minna is not reading the forum. I'm sure that having this space to vent is keeping a lot of the criticism off disqus (and by extension, Minna's face).
I guess I'm middle ground there, then. I've always accepted that even if Minna says she doesn't (usually) read the forum, and verifiably doesn't openly have an account here, doesn't mean she'll never have a single look at what is publicly readable. (For all I know, Finnish culture could totally have a Leave Your Comfort Zone Day.) Not to mention her family. Or just anyone supporting and informing her. In real time, or after the fact. Minna will likely never learn what I write here, and I can reasonably claim that by putting it here, I'm not shoving things into her face, but no guarantees.

I rather doubt the conversation would have gone anywhere useful.
I've tried several times to draft a reaction to his post here; but that also tends to go nowhere useful.
After having pinpointed (on Disqus, through several rounds of clarification) that page 72 does make part of what he calls "the comic" that he believes to "stand on its own" as Minna claimed, the logical thing for me to do would be to re-raise the question of who the in-comic speaker uttering the text on that page supposedly is.

But, frankly, if he's been seeing that wall of text all the time and took it as part of "the comic", and were willing to let me challenge the claim of "it's all a self-contained story independent of Minna's soapbox", shouldn't he have gotten that reference without the painstaking discussion of "does your browser really show something other than mine?"

LOL yes, it's an excellent drawing! The bunny comic, distilled to its simplest theme (minus christianity).
If a tad oversimplified. (Both "I cannot make myself a better person quite as fast as I can throw" and "we established that Alizongle is BAD nonetheless" would be valid reasons to get rid of that phone. It's the going "my, I'm such a good person now!" immediately afterwards that seals the lack of self-reflection.)

Honestly, even if he did understand - and maybe he does - what could he say to his daughter to get *her* to understand?
Well, he would be in a position to point out to her the times in their common past when she was No True Scot Christian herself and did not get the "off to hell with you, then, nothing I can do about that" treatment. Or maybe that is what she got, in which case I'd guess that she probably did not like it. But as you say, that's up to him and other family members to work out.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

catbirds

« Reply #657 on: April 27, 2021, 02:50:54 AM »
I'm not sure it will be helpful, and that's the sad part.

If, after reading this thread, he still doesn't have any grasp of the problematic nature of LP and (more importantly), why people have reacted the way we have to the comic and even more so our reaction to Minna's writeup at the end ... I have to conclude that he sees nothing wrong with where she's at and is himself part of the problem. Which is a shame and I hope I'm wrong.

Just to clarify this before I go off to bed: I have 100% Fully Totally Absolutely given up on the possibility, even the slightest chance, that either of them will sit down at a dinner table and go, "hm, why are people saying Minna's comic might be offensive?" I have completely abandoned the possibility of Minna having a moment of self-awareness where she goes, "maybe Cancel Culture isn't the problem after all and maybe I made a mistake" or "hm, maybe I am falling for three conspiracy theories at once." Like, this has been developing for five years, if not more since Emil said [redacted]. In my books, she's now solidly off in whatever made-up land she's in where the Evil Internet Cancel Culture Mob is out there to get her for saying something [checks smudged writing on hand] racist. (You can replace this with any name for the respective negative attitude towards a demographic she's insulted. I can think of at least five off the top of my head.)

Whatever they'll sit down at the dinner table to discuss (metaphorically) is none of our business, but there's no way it won't come up in a conversation between them. And the small droplet of empathy I still have for Minna in this situation is going to hoping that her familial relationship doesn't suffer because of this comic and any discussion the comic has caused. Why? I don't know, not everything people feel is rational.

If a tad oversimplified. (Both "I cannot make myself a better person quite as fast as I can throw" and "we established that Alizongle is BAD nonetheless" would be valid reasons to get rid of that phone. It's the going "my, I'm such a good person now!" immediately afterwards that seals the lack of self-reflection.)

Well, I mean, at least one of us is paying attention to what's going on in the story. Soldier on, JoB.

In the worst timeline where Minna's "Brave" "New" "Bunny" Comic makes it to my eleventh grade English teacher's shelves (and he loves this kind of thing...), I'll make sure to sneak this message to the kids.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #658 on: April 27, 2021, 09:29:39 AM »
*makes sure NOT wearing the Skald's cape*

The following is from me, not from the Forum staff.

Could we not discuss Minna's dad and his comments any further? He wrote here and in the Disqus comments, but he's just another commenter. He's not our creator and artist, and not someone whose work is under scrutiny here. Responding to him is 100 % fine, but now he's said he left and we are probably able to leave it at that?

I'm not convinced it's necessary for us to keep speculating about what he thinks or doesn't think, or what he talks about with Minna or not. In any case Minna is an adult and lives in a different area altogether than her parents so it's not like they are going to be sitting together for dinner all the time. And even if it were, he is not a central figure here.

I don't think we would be discussing just another Forum member, who has already said they won't be participating in the discussion any more, at such length. At least I hope we wouldn't. While Jouni was the one who brought up his direct connection with Minna, that doesn't mean he equals Minna and we shouldn't think he does, even if it does muddy up the artist / audience line just like many of you commented.

I don't want to be tone policing, and I definitely don't think we should tolerate intolerance. But I do think we must make a difference between Minna's father and Minna the artist.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #659 on: April 27, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
Could we not discuss Minna's dad and his comments any further? He wrote here and in the Disqus comments, but he's just another commenter. He's not our creator and artist, and not someone whose work is under scrutiny here. Responding to him is 100 % fine, but now he's said he left and we are probably able to leave it at that?

I'm not convinced it's necessary for us to keep speculating about what he thinks or doesn't think, or what he talks about with Minna or not. In any case Minna is an adult and lives in a different area altogether than her parents so it's not like they are going to be sitting together for dinner all the time. And even if it were, he is not a central figure here.

I don't think we would be discussing just another Forum member, who has already said they won't be participating in the discussion any more, at such length. At least I hope we wouldn't. While Jouni was the one who brought up his direct connection with Minna, that doesn't mean he equals Minna and we shouldn't think he does, even if it does muddy up the artist / audience line just like many of you commented.

I don't want to be tone policing, and I definitely don't think we should tolerate intolerance. But I do think we must make a difference between Minna's father and Minna the artist.

Agreed. Speculating isn't productive.