Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108035 times)

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #570 on: April 22, 2021, 09:13:56 AM »
Welcome, @Moose! You made a good analysis of the situation, in my opinion. A lot of us here strongly agree with you. I'm really sorry that SSSS treats your culture like it does. Thank you for mentioning the Saami troll-hunting stories, they sound fun. I'd love to read them if possible.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #571 on: April 22, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
Spoiler: very bitter feelings • show

I'm not really sure if this particular passage is directed at the way I wasted my time last summer thinking about why SSSS is the way it is, but it does kind of feel like it…? Just for privacy's sake, I don't want to discuss my background, but in short it's more of a literary analysis thing that's 1) useful because a lot of people seemed to be scratching their heads at how this could have happened and 2) pretty much the only way I've been able to get people to understand why I'm upset when they repeatedly promote or consume works with bigoted views, which they'll continue to do anyway because I have a gut feeling they might see my struggles as rather trivial.

And I don't want to get upset more, but "I don't like it" just isn't ever the reason that I don't want people to enjoy something. More often than not, it does feed into a cycle that's been perpetuated for ages, and it does end up hurting myself and people like me, or other (more?) marginalized communities/groups in the long run, especially due to the large immigrant population where I live. Again, not that it works, but I do want people to just stop enjoying something sometimes, and I know that it's not within my right to demand it, but I still get angry at them when they think they're infallible to internalizing the caricatures in a story. I know so many white people who think they're just "not like all the other ones" and end up making the same racist jokes because they "had a friend approve of it beforehand" or something (does this sound familiar?), so no, it's not that "I don't like [a story]," it's that I wish it never existed and I scowl when people enjoy it and I want people to know why.

In conclusion, I do have a scathingly low opinion of Minna, in case there was any doubt.

From the ever dark depths of my heart i really hope youll understand i mean this in the sincerest way possible when i tell you that i understand exactly how you feel and have seen many examples of what you describe here.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #572 on: April 22, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »
I know some Will brush everything away, saying its not a big deal, or its overanalizing but i have learned to trust my instinct.
Moose, it is a big deal. Sure, some people will brush it off but most of the people here won't. We like to listen and understand peoples feelings. Your concerns won't be brushed off as overanalyzing. Frankly, a lot of indigenous people would survive a troll infested world. They're really strong and wouldn't be pushovers when it comes to survival. These people try so hard to keep their culture and language alive despite others trying to force conformity. Instead of melting into the rest of the population shouldn't the difference between cultures be celebrated? But for some reason that's too much to ask.
Culture, language, religion are all beautiful.
The differences between them are beautiful.
Everyone getting a shot at killing a troll is beautiful.
Saying things like "melt into the culture " is not beautiful.
the fact the virus came with refuges
If only people knew how many illnesses were brought to other countries by white foreigners.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:17:19 PM by Opaque »

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #573 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »
my conclusion is that it's okay to enjoy bad books if you want. you're probably not harming a community by reading bad books. but you gotta decide whether or not you're comfortable with monetarily supporting the author or if you should take a trip to the library.

Pretty much my conclusion also.

And, having said that: to anyone reading this thread who thinks this is a new thing or that 'cancel culture' is a leftwing thing (which is probably not Haiz): my personal first exposure (I'm sure it goes back a lot further) was somewhere around 1970, when my older sister told me I shouldn't buy anything by Joan Baez because my sister thought she was a traitor for her activities against the Vietnam / USA war.

I went right on listening to Baez (I was short on money to buy anything anyway), which was an easy decision because I disagreed with my sister about that war anyway. I've run into harder choices since. But I think that continuing to read/listen/etc. (if one chooses to do so) with an awareness of the problems, rather than by pretending they aren't there, is a crucial part of the decision.

'Cities make you mentally ill'.
Well, okay then.

I think that's a bad case of 'everybody is me'. Cities do put some people in a very unpleasant mental state. I'm one of them. Minna may well be another.

But that's not at all the same thing as 'Cities screw up everybody who lives in them.' Some people belong living in cities; it's good for them. Others of us don't; it's bad for us. Not everybody needs the same thing.

I've read here about Minna keeping Saami people, and other currently extant minorities in Nordic countries out of SSSS, Windfighter mentions ableism is present in LP, and catbirds does the same about non-European influences going poof by the time SSSS starts. Are we sure those are conscious decisions, and not simply bad writing? [ . . . ] Let me put this bluntly: do you consider her to be a learned person?

The more I read and the more I thought back to SSSS, the more uncomfortably aware I became of how much of Minna's choices and her comments in SSSS I had just brushed off in the past with 'well, she's a recluse, she probably doesn't know any better'

(was hoping she was just kind of boomer, basically)

And here am I, a boomer, who has been hoping Minna was just young and inexperienced, and might grow out of it!

My impression at first, which was during the Emil incident, was that she might be genuinely that clueless, and might have been genuinely taken aback by being attacked for something she had just plain never thought about; and that her choice of characters to depict might also be the same degree of ignorance. Even in the very diverse USA, it's still possible to grow up, in some places and some social circles, just back-of-the-head thinking that 'almost everybody is white' and to therefore, unthinkingly, put only white characters in one's own work.

But it's becoming clearer and clearer that she didn't just have an immediate reaction of 'I never thought about this before and I don't want to think about it now!' Whether or not she started there -- about which I have no idea -- what she's doing now is to determinedly refuse to leave that place of ignorance.

the Saami languages are canonically listed as dead, and author's commentary (in response to a question about that) is that the Saami people "melted into the rest of the population".

When the real-world context is that these are people who have been subject to cultural genocide, and subject to attempts to forcibly "melt them into the population"

Yeah. That is most definitely a problem.

this is what I mean when I said I'm bad at words! LP's technology is bad-message is mostly about twitter or whatever it was called in the comic and doesn't quite??? go as far as saying disabled people suck and it was probably not a consious decision of Minna to even imply that in the comic [ . . .]  I didn't mean to say that Minna purposely added "Technology is bad" as a way of saying "disabled people are bad", I just realized that that was A Thing that could be read into it

That's how I, at any rate, took it: not that she necessarily did it on purpose, but that whether or not she meant it, it's in there.

I loved the art, and I invested so much in the characters, and I was eager to know more about the rash origin. Now I think that discovering that origin, as much as healing or reverting it, was completely out of the scope of SSSS. Even more so because Minna wrote herself into a corner

I have the impression that it isn't so much that she writes herself into corners, but that, despite the massive detail in the artwork and all those info pages, there are a lot of things that Minna just hasn't bothered to think through, and never wanted to be bothered to think through.

I doubt she ever worked out exactly what the rash is, or how it came into existence: she just worked out enough of it so she could set up the story. Note that when it serves the story she simply comes up with new kinds of trolls, even if they contradict things she's said about trolls before.

As a saami i had my fear share of "Gods work"

Can I just say that I think this one should win the Typo of the Year award?

Not as a criticism of your English, which is entirely understandable (and massively better than my any-other-language); but because justifiable fear does indeed have a great deal to do with it.

I know some Will brush everything away, saying its not a big deal

It most certainly is a big deal.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #574 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
first of all, it's great to hear the perspective of and analysis from a saami person. thank you so much for speaking up. saami people deserve better, and not just in media.

second, just wanted to add to my previous post that ended up sounding really bitter about internet/social media - i don't want to come off like "internet bad because people were mean to me", and i think i got too sleepy to add every single thing i had initially planned to bring up. i don't think The Big Bad Social Media is what made people do what they did - a cousin of mine told me about the exact same thing happening to her friend more or less offline, through small town gossip. i also don't think a single person in this thread has said or implied "anyone who likes SSSS or LP is bad", and i don't want to make it seem like someone did.

Spoiler: very bitter feelings • show

I'm not really sure if this particular passage is directed at the way I wasted my time last summer thinking about why SSSS is the way it is, but it does kind of feel like it…? Just for privacy's sake, I don't want to discuss my background, but in short it's more of a literary analysis thing that's 1) useful because a lot of people seemed to be scratching their heads at how this could have happened and 2) pretty much the only way I've been able to get people to understand why I'm upset when they repeatedly promote or consume works with bigoted views, which they'll continue to do anyway because I have a gut feeling they might see my struggles as rather trivial.

And I don't want to get upset more, but "I don't like it" just isn't ever the reason that I don't want people to enjoy something. More often than not, it does feed into a cycle that's been perpetuated for ages, and it does end up hurting myself and people like me, or other (more?) marginalized communities/groups in the long run, especially due to the large immigrant population where I live. Again, not that it works, but I do want people to just stop enjoying something sometimes, and I know that it's not within my right to demand it, but I still get angry at them when they think they're infallible to internalizing the caricatures in a story. I know so many white people who think they're just "not like all the other ones" and end up making the same racist jokes because they "had a friend approve of it beforehand" or something (does this sound familiar?), so no, it's not that "I don't like [a story]," it's that I wish it never existed and I scowl when people enjoy it and I want people to know why.

In conclusion, I do have a scathingly low opinion of Minna, in case there was any doubt.

i know this wasn't a direct reply to me but i hope it's okay if i... reply? elaborate on what i was trying to say earlier?

Spoiler: show

just as superdark, i deeply understand where you are coming from and how you feel. i don't think either of us described what you're talking about. i think your feelings are entirely justified and perfectly reasonable feelings to have around this. i have no want to argue against it, so i hope it does not come off that way. i do not in any way want to excuse or justify bigotry, intentional or not.

i think criticizing, discussing, and analyzing media is very important. i think that's my tldr, the Crux of my feelings about all this - the ability to practice critical thinking around media. it's not reasonable to expect everyone to be hypercritical of every piece of media, constantly, but like... it's healthy to have the skill. engaging with others and explaining why something is hurtful, or wrong, or part of a propaganda narrative - that's an important thing to do. because it's true, media DOES affect people. it DOES cause damage. but i also think media is shaped by the culture that created it - it's kind of a two way street. the context in which a media is presented has so much to say, too, like, under what genre or pretenses are you being sold on a thing? if there's a popular book depicting an unhealthy relationship, is it being advertised as a romance, or as a psychological horror? what angle will filmmakers trying to adapt the book take? will the movie adaptation become more known in the mainstream than the book? will it affect how people think about the book? idk i have a bachelor degree in art history and it's always Context All The Way Down.

i'm good friends with many people who are critical of the media we watch. but i'm no longer friends with people who have over the years, tried to persuade me directly to Stop Liking Thing. not because they dislike the thing, that's fine, and not because i think they are unjustified in disliking it, and not even because they dislike a thing they haven't even read or watched. it's fine! the point where a friendship can no longer thrive is when  they can no longer trust me. it's fine if they can't trust me anymore on that basis, that's their choice and their very real feelings! but if they message me to tell me "hello haiz i see you are ENDORSING MURDER because you like this animated cartoon" that's not a real good faith conversation, and i don't feel very comfortable being friends with someone who thinks i am endorsing murder.

like, i've never been big on liking ~*Problematic Media*~ or anything, it's just that by the nature of everything being inherently flawed, there is no rulebook or clear guidelines on when a piece of media crosses into Harmful. like, i would definitely argue that SSSS and its presentation of race is at least somewhat harmful, especially if read by someone who already has a very... particular idea of scandinavia. but we can also see how many people who have read and, at some point, loved SSSS are still critical of it, and are/have been willing to read it through that critical lens. i also think a lot of us have reached the point where we just don't feel comfortable with it anymore. talking to fans (or former fans) who've been around for a while always feels like we're passing around a bottle containing a very strong drink and taking a long and hard sip out of it. there are people i trust to have not been accidentally radicalized by SSSS, while i also believe it's something that CAN happen.

the thing is mostly that i no longer trust random claims of "this media is Bad actually." every so often it will come from very real and justified hurt and concern over how a marginalized and vulnerable group is portrayed. sometimes it will come from motivated reasoning, where someone already dislikes a thing for subjective reasons and is fishing up Totally Morally Legitimate Reasons for why it's bad and nobody should watch it. sometimes there will be exaggerations of actual unfortunate implications or harmful representation, but blown up way past the actual presence in the thing. sometimes it's "lil nas x made a MUSIC VIDEO where he is MACKING on SATAN!!!!!!!!!!" and you have both conservative christians who are upset by it and gay people who think "he's making the rest of us look bad". sometimes there's a misunderstanding between the creator and their audience. there are so many many reasons of all kinds to label Thing Bad Don't Watch. and if you heed every single warning for Thing Bad without looking into it further, you won't be critically engaging with any media at all. obviously, you don't have to! if something sounds bad you can just choose to avoid it forever. but there's also the kind of people who sort of... list every piece of media as either Acceptable or Unacceptable, and will have deep moral reasonings behind each and every one, even though it often crumbles a bit under scrutiny. i have seen people condemn, say, steven universe, a cartoon for children created by a jewish non-binary person making active efforts to be inclusive, diverse, and challenging. you CAN find ways in which the show has failed to be those things, but where do you draw the line for "this media is unacceptable", while justifying other shows which may not even make the same efforts? that's the place "it's okay to just dislike something" comes from.

and yeah, this is kinda niche and specific, but i see it happen a lot. and it's frustrating, because so many legitimate grievances get lost in the noise, AND most people having those grievances aren't even TRYING to stop people from enjoying things, they just really want to have that conversation. so on the flipside there's absolutely the place where you say "i don't like how this show portrayed X" and people will retort "but you can't stop me from liking it!!!!!!!!!", and that's not a conversation either.

and like... sometimes, what are you even going to do? when people like j k rowling, who have a CONSIDERABLY larger platform than minna, come out as openly and aggressively transphobic, what do you even do? asking everyone to never pick up a harry potter book again is absolutely futile. you can't tell a large part of the population to repress their fond memories of the franchise, even if it's probably soured already. there's even the irony of people who cite harry potter as being one of the series that taught them to be loving, more knowledgeable about oppression, or even something that helped them realize they were queer or trans. nobody really knows How To Deal With This, and there's probably no good answer. you can't make rowling drop her transphobic views by emailing her. you can work on educating people around you about trans rights and how to spot transphobic rhetoric. you can actively choose to never monetarily support her again. you can view the franchise with a new and critical lens and find problematic aspects of her book you missed as a child. you can do a lot of things, or you can not do a lot of things, and there's still going to be transphobes rallying around her and susceptible people converting to bigoted views. you can't make people decide who they listen to. the reason this could even happen to begin with is that there was a cultural context ripe for this specific cocktails of events - it did not happen in a vacuum or out of nowhere, even though it really feels that way.

so again, i dont have a specific conclusion. nobody is immune to propaganda, neither creators nor audience. i think the best we can do is open spaces for conversations and understanding of different viewpoints - and that requires participants to be open to it. not everyone will be. that said, i think this thread is a surprisingly great example of a space just like that.

you'll know where to find me.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #575 on: April 22, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »
Huh what?? I see the newest blog post, which is exclusively about her changed priorities, and the same paragraph (including typos) inserted atop the previous one, but the rest - up to and including el numero uno zero, the comments, and the prototype download - looks unchanged ...

Ohhhhh my bad, I just didn't understand how to navigate the site. I was looking for an archive of posts, I didn't see the "previous post" link (which in my defense is very nondescript). I take it back!
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #576 on: April 22, 2021, 01:23:36 PM »
so again, i dont have a specific conclusion. nobody is immune to propaganda, neither creators nor audience. i think the best we can do is open spaces for conversations and understanding of different viewpoints - and that requires participants to be open to it. not everyone will be. that said, i think this thread is a surprisingly great example of a space just like that.
I love real debates and conversations that don't turn into a caps lock shouting match. Peoples view points may be vastly different from another or may be very similar. That's part of what makes life interesting. Explaining frustrations and concerns where people will read and not just dismiss it is what most comment sections sould aspire to be. But people get so caught up in how they think and feel that they will refuse to listen to anothers veiw. Luckily this is a good place full of caring and sympathetic people who are good listeners/readers.

esedege

« Reply #577 on: April 22, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
Hi, Moose! As a fellow newbie I welcome you, and I have to thank you for letting me know firsthand about Saami people’s difficult history.

I’ll try and thread the needle between Haiz and catbirds’ last spoilers because I think it’s a discussion worth having. I’m not daring taking it out of spoiler-zone though.

‘Don’t Do The Thing’ approach doesn’t work between pairs, because, you know, just because you told me not to, now I kinda wanna ‘Do The Thing.’ Because I do not recognize you to have authority over my actions. Even worse, it can be read as an attack over my autonomy as a person. [It’s completely different when someone you look up to says that, be they a private person or a public one. Public people should always practice Social Responsibility when saying something publicly: their words have power because they’ve got themselves a position of responsibility inside their fans’ minds. But I digress.]

At least for me, ‘Can I tell you why I feel uncomfortable/distraught/diminished/hurt when you Do The Thing?’ will always work. I’ll listen to you. Win me over. Make yourself clear, help me see things as you do, but always allow me the autonomy to decide by myself. Once I’ve decided, we can rejoice in you helping me change my mind or part ways if it’s a strong matter.

I come and confess that I consciously refused to literate myself about transgender nor queer people, as I know none in person*. I was quite mild in that regard, until a couple of months or so, when I found Contrapoints YouTube channel. She definitely won me over. She counter every transphobic argument by reason, she explained firsthand (which is always a plus) what is like to be doubly marginalized… She changed my mind and the way I look at things. Let me say that Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite films and she made it hard for me to watch. And I’m happy about it.

I’m already done with three authors and the more I watch movies and series the less I like them because of how they treat/write/frame women, LGBTQ people, ethnic minorities… The LGBTQ sensitivity comes (almost, see above) by default, but the other two one could argue that they don’t affect me… but I’ve learned to put myself in someone else’s shoes because of reason, and not prohibition.

* I do know an agender person, but she’s quite happy being called by her assigned gender in casual speaking, so she has to come and tell you she’s agender. I worry this explanation could make anyone feel diminishing, I’m lacking nuanced words.

Edit 2: Electric Bogaloo.
I’ve been giving it a thought. Spanish lets you omit pronouns, so there’s no need to use either ‘I/she/he/they’ when speaking nor writing so it’s easier to make everybody feel included/not discriminated against. On the other hand, the only neutral pronoun we have is ‘Ello’ and it translates directly to ‘It’ so it’s a no-no. As a result, unless you want to create your own pronouns (not a thing around here) you’re stuck with binary ones.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:52:39 PM by esedege »

LetsEatBees

• Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #578 on: April 22, 2021, 01:33:39 PM »
And here am I, a boomer, who has been hoping Minna was just young and inexperienced, and might grow out of it!
Well to be fair thorny I've been told that boomer is more a state of mind than a matter of age. :))

despite the massive detail in the artwork and all those info pages, there are a lot of things that Minna just hasn't bothered to think through, and never wanted to be bothered to think through.

I remember reading somewhere that her thought process for coming up with the idea was “wouldn’t it be interesting if a zombie apocalypse happened where I’m from and culturally Nordic instead of American”, and just kind of built off that. It does make me think back to when I started noticing a narrative and thematic shallowness in SSSS, like there was nothing anything big or meaningful that these story elements are building up to, or if they are they were being saved for later adventures(not a good idea IMHO). It wasn’t a deal breaker for me and I kept following up to now basically, but it does kind of reinforce my opinion that she doesn’t write quite as well as she draws.
I hope this doesn’t sound mean but please let me know if it does. :(
(PS I was not around for the Emil incident, had to learn second hand and don't remember when or how)
Native: English
We're Looking Into The Future, Chuck
"Flammable undiagrammable sentiments Pass between animal beings"

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #579 on: April 22, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
I started noticing a narrative and thematic shallowness in SSSS, like there was nothing anything big or meaningful that these story elements are building up to, or if they are they were being saved for later adventures

Yes. And I'm not at all sure that later adventures wouldn't also have been mostly a matter of 'this would be a neat story to tell in this world' or at most 'better tie up this loose end.'

For a while I thought there might be a theme of 'miscommunication can cause serious problems, even among the well-intentioned'; but she didn't seem to be doing anything with that either; she's seemed to just think that it's funny when the crew doesn't understand each other, not to be pointing out that Tuuri died because of miscommunication or anything else of the sort -- I'm not sure that she thought of that as even having had anything to do with the same sort of miscommunication, as there wasn't a joke in it.

There isn't anything essentially wrong with just telling neat stories with no deeper theme; but it is going to leave some readers feeling that something's lacking. And it also leaves lots of room for unintentional themes, and/or casually assumed ones, to sneak in there.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #580 on: April 22, 2021, 06:26:34 PM »
Thank you so much for the Saami perspective, Moose! I have to admit I overlooked the fact Sami languages were marked as disappeared. I have low key been assuming that of course the Sami are still surviving, they just choose not to be part of the Nordic countries in the SSSS world. The Sami homeland area is the least troll-friendly area in Finland! And especially in the beginning the chances of survival would have been highest for people who are close to nature and can escape away from other people.

So, in hindsight, it should have been glaringly obvious* that the Sami were not forgotten, they had to have been left out on purpose. Whether the purpose was “I seriously don’t want any non-majority-Nordic people in my nice white world” or just “I can’t be bothered to learn anything about them” it is in any case bad, even if the first alternative is even worse than the second one.

* should have been obvious to me, as a Finn, and therefore knowing the geography, climate, population etc. factors as well as having a fairly good idea how much Minna likely knows about the Sami as a minimum from having been schooled in Finland.

The fat jokes bothered me too, and she’s also made some comments on the same vein in the streams. Even after I commented that “as a fat person I don’t like this turn of the conversation”. I chose to ignore but 😔

Isn’t it weird and actually wonderful that we have such a fandom here? Just to think what sort of crowd a fanbase for this work could have become. Actually now I wonder whether there is another fan group somewhere with the completely opposite ideas, celebrating SSSS (sheesh the acronym seems Very Unfortunate right at this moment) for its whiteness, not despite it. Shuddersome to think about it.

Haiz the entire conversation whether one can like a Problematic Work or a work by a Problematic Author is an important one to have. I for one think that yes, I am allowed to like Problematic Works but it’s important to be aware of the problematic issues. Sometimes the awareness sours the work, but that can’t be helped. However I still find myself blissfully ignoring Problematic Things to keep my enjoyment of something alive. Like I just have done with SSSS. I have to look hard upon myself. Not for loving SSSS, but for willfully looking the other way from too many things until now.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #581 on: April 22, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »
Haiz the entire conversation whether one can like a Problematic Work or a work by a Problematic Author is an important one to have. I for one think that yes, I am allowed to like Problematic Works but it’s important to be aware of the problematic issues. Sometimes the awareness sours the work, but that can’t be helped. However I still find myself blissfully ignoring Problematic Things to keep my enjoyment of something alive. Like I just have done with SSSS. I have to look hard upon myself. Not for loving SSSS, but for willfully looking the other way from too many things until now.

yeah!! i think it's like... more important to build a working understanding of how racism and colonialism works irl, than to fall at the stake of whether or not reading a webcomic by in and of itself makes you racist, if it makes sense? cause media and creators are just parts of a larger reality. it's often easier and less scary to pick at stories we are told than to apply the same view upon everything else around us. the other way around as well, by acknowledging that I'm Starting To Think Maybe This Story Is Telling Me Something Rather Unfortunate.. you might slowly start to understand just how pervasive those threads are in our own cultures and surroundings. it's not JUST media is what i'm saying - it probably gets this treatment because it's easier to cast away a book than a family member, or an institution, or years and years of oppression...

‘Don’t Do The Thing’ approach doesn’t work between pairs, because, you know, just because you told me not to, now I kinda wanna ‘Do The Thing.’ Because I do not recognize you to have authority over my actions. Even worse, it can be read as an attack over my autonomy as a person. [It’s completely different when someone you look up to says that, be they a private person or a public one. Public people should always practice Social Responsibility when saying something publicly: their words have power because they’ve got themselves a position of responsibility inside their fans’ minds. But I digress.]

At least for me, ‘Can I tell you why I feel uncomfortable/distraught/diminished/hurt when you Do The Thing?’ will always work. I’ll listen to you. Win me over. Make yourself clear, help me see things as you do, but always allow me the autonomy to decide by myself. Once I’ve decided, we can rejoice in you helping me change my mind or part ways if it’s a strong matter.

I come and confess that I consciously refused to literate myself about transgender nor queer people, as I know none in person*. I was quite mild in that regard, until a couple of months or so, when I found Contrapoints YouTube channel. She definitely won me over. She counter every transphobic argument by reason, she explained firsthand (which is always a plus) what is like to be doubly marginalized… She changed my mind and the way I look at things. Let me say that Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite films and she made it hard for me to watch. And I’m happy about it.

does a funky little dance. yeah exactly. i don't want to tone police anyone's grievances, but there's such a difference between trying to control and trying to inform. even when i understand where the urge to control comes from because the internet is full of traumatized and deeply hurt people who feel like everything is beyond their control.

contrapoints is such a fantastic video essayist. i find it deeply frustrating that she herself has become a subject of "Do Not Watch This" when her work is such a powerhouse of willingness to meet people where they're at. thank you for the work you are putting into understanding transphobia and facing your hesitancy head on!!
you'll know where to find me.

Kevin_Redcrow

« Reply #582 on: April 23, 2021, 12:13:02 AM »
Her reaction to the criticism tells you if they're conscious decisions or something she accidentally overlooked. SSSS has been going on for years, people have been pointing out the lack of non-white characters in the setting for years. At no point has Minna responded with anything like "it was an oversight on my part, but I understand why it matters to some/ I'd do it differently if I had to do it again/ I will include non-white characters now because I want to correct my oversight". She did imply that PoC might have survived in other areas but never went as far as to explicitly state it. Just baiting, baiting, baiting, like with the queerness: write in such a way that both someone who wants a world without PoC and someone who doesn't can enjoy the story. It's one of the things that makes me the most wary about the comic and tbh a big reason why I've been distancing myself from it even before LP was published.

I also need to point out that the comic does not exist in a void. Europeans especially will be more aware about the fact that Norse mythology specifically, and European folklore more generally, have been coopted by far right groups, and online they are often used as signals for this type of views. As sad as it makes me to say it, having been a fan of these things, I am now automatically wary when a webcomic, band, blog or whatever is steeped too much into this culture without explicit signs that they welcome the categories of people that the far right hates.

Okay, now it makes sense that this person posting on page 566 of Adventure One was drawn to SSSS:
[alias name omitted] • 2 years ago
This page makes no sense. Women can't be priests, that's an utterly heretical notion.
Maybe that's why she's been cursed to roam the Earth
When I first read this and the angry responses from other folks, I was smugly thinking that this guy thought he found an aryan homeland in SSSS, and Pastor Anne's appearance blew that out of the water.  Looks like the joke is on me.

As far as the setting goes, I thought that the lack of people of color had more to do with Scandinavia being the last part of Earth supporting humans(and yes, I'm aware that there are African Muslims who have immigrated to the region); that the whiteness was merely incidental.

I got curious and looked up other posts by this guy, and one of those posts was blatently anti-Semetic.

That Norse Mythology has been co-opted by the racist far-right is sad.  Not that I've adopted Thor, Odin, or Freya as my spiritual guides personally, it just sucks that when a group co-opts something it becomes indelibly theirs in the minds of the broader culture.

Here in the United Snakes, the far-right is rather fond of waving large amerikan flags.  It seems to be a preemptive challenge: "My views are right because of Flag!" So now I can't look at an amerikan flag larger than one in a school classroom without thinking of a racist, imperialist, aristocratic, parasitic empire.

I thought the lack of even mild Boy Love/Girl Love/off-panel sexual behavior was due to the commonality of these in webcomics; that Minna wanted SSSS to be acceptable for All Ages. I thought the stated theme about SSSS being about Friendship, etc. etc. was just fine and even heartwarming.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if Sigrun and Mikkel made a lot of noise in the dark, thus preventing sleep for the rest of the crew(that would be a cute, if not trite gag in itself). Nor would I mind if Emil kept trying to hold Lalli's hand on the sly, or if Reynir went around being an indiscreet voyeur to all of this type of thing.

But I am cool with the idea of SSSS being about friendship and growing as a person.

catbirds

« Reply #583 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
From the ever dark depths of my heart i really hope youll understand i mean this in the sincerest way possible when i tell you that i understand exactly how you feel and have seen many examples of what you describe here.

Uhffff... Well, thanks for understanding? I mean, I think I did get a bit ahead of myself last night, but thanks.

Moose, it is a big deal. Sure, some people will brush it off but most of the people here won't. We like to listen and understand peoples feelings. Your concerns won't be brushed off as overanalyzing. Frankly, a lot of indigenous people would survive a troll infested world. They're really strong and wouldn't be pushovers when it comes to survival. These people try so hard to keep their culture and language alive despite others trying to force conformity.

Yeah, I agree. Minna's body of work has spanned a period of time where (to my knowledge/experience) people went from brushing off analyses of works through a race/diversity lens as "overreacting" to realizing that there is a great amount of truth to them, and going over all this even in retrospect is vital especially because she is still producing art to this day. Her ignorance to the struggles and strength of indigenous people in a region where she lives herself and her refusal to learn or make an effort to include them just should not be accepted.

As a side note, I think the only piece of media that I've seen represent Saami people (at all...) has been that Christmas movie on Netflix from a few years ago (Klaus??), but it did seem to be a positive representation so that's something. At least, I thought it was a cute part of the movie.

And about the fat jokes in aRTD, they did make me uncomfortable, as well as the one instance of Hannu using the R slur (I think?). It might have been overlooked at the time of its publishing because aRTD is a pretty old webcomic at this point, and boy was that sort of thing everywhere on the internet back then :(

My impression at first, which was during the Emil incident, was that she might be genuinely that clueless, and might have been genuinely taken aback by being attacked for something she had just plain never thought about; and that her choice of characters to depict might also be the same degree of ignorance. Even in the very diverse USA, it's still possible to grow up, in some places and some social circles, just back-of-the-head thinking that 'almost everybody is white' and to therefore, unthinkingly, put only white characters in one's own work.

But it's becoming clearer and clearer that she didn't just have an immediate reaction of 'I never thought about this before and I don't want to think about it now!' Whether or not she started there -- about which I have no idea -- what she's doing now is to determinedly refuse to leave that place of ignorance.

On the topic of learning about representing a diverse set of people, just based on when Emil said [redacted], Minna seems to be a textbook case of the "I'm making an offensive joke about you to help you!" kind of person. Which is something that I've seen in a lot of white people in rural nordic areas, but also not something that's impossible to step out of even though I've yet to successfully pry anyone out of that mindset myself. I mean, she has said on stream that she enjoys South Park, which in my opinion has singlehandedly set back social justice in America and... Europe, apparently, by an entire decade (hyperbole, somewhat).

Which brings me to Haiz's reply

i know this wasn't a direct reply to me but i hope it's okay if i... reply? elaborate on what i was trying to say earlier?

Spoiler: looooooong reply • show

Yeah, honestly, I realized right after posting it that it might directly sound like I was criticizing your decisions. Sorry, despite what I wrote, I also end up in a cycle of frustration with myself because it is so hard to find work that isn't oddly fetishistic or racist or heteronormative or blah blah list of things that alienate me because of some quality of me as a person. And if it's impossible for even me to find now that I've gotten tired of this kind of thing, how would it be possible for someone who's never (or rarely) had to think of this thing in their entire life? (Not that that's necessarily the case for people on this forum, just in general and in the few periods of time I've been active in fandoms.) So yes, being hypercritical and then smacking everyone upside the head with a "don't read this!" is pretty pointless because, like you said, society isn't accommodating to some groups and the works people produce will reflect that. Like, I've been in this fandom on and off for like, four years now, I've clearly been sitting through some things. That's partially why I took to writing or drawing things for myself alone.

And, obviously, I don't think enjoying a story involving murder should warrant being told that you condone murder. It's good to know where to draw the line with these conversations. I brought up South Park because, well, Minna mentioned it and because for me it represents something way past the line, like if you're laughing at these things in front of me, I would absolutely lose it because racism is so deeply ingrained into the humour of that show that it's impossible to enjoy it without being okay with racism. Somewhere far from there on the spectrum is Minecraft, which has a creator that was either antisemetic or transphobic or both? I can't remember, but the point is, enjoying Minecraft does not require you to be complicit in either of those things. SSSS feels... more like it fits closer to that area because when I first read it, my first thoughts were wow! Fun wilderness adventure! I never got to experience that!

For Harry Potter, as I moved through the books I realized the author did not actually care about those characters of racial minorities or whether or not Dumbledore was gay (I learned of this before I finished it). So, for that, I don't think I have a very valid opinion on the whole problem of forming a deep bond with a story, because I've pretty much always become disillusioned or moved on to read other literature as soon as possible. BUT the fandom was huge at one point, and I have no doubts about the story's cultural impact on youth because of that. Some of it was good, some of it was... not as good, from my experience, but I agree in that there's no absolutely correct way to respond to something like that and I don't think anyone can change that the author has attracted a frankly pretty... bad group of people. What does this mean for us? Well, the discussion going on right now is how we've reacted to Minna being Not Great, and it's been a mostly productive one in my opinion.

But every once in a while, a creator does make something in good faith, and it is worth appreciating! Like, while a lot of characters in Steven Universe are... rocks? (I've never watched it, but I've heard good things about it) they are coded in ways that a lot of kids alienated by other media can relate to. I think the show that I liked most that fits into this category is Utena, which has a trigger warning list that's 500 miles long but otherwise resonated deeply with me, even though it could easily be interpreted in ways that would make the show "problematic" because of just... how many ways you could interpret the many things in the show that warranted that trigger warning list.

What I'm getting from what you're saying, though, is that having a good faith discussion and listening to people negatively affected by this or that show/genre is usually a good way to go about it, and if you do, you'll probably walk away learning more than someone who thinks you're attacking them personally for disliking a show they like. And I don't really have a better solution than that because we all have to enjoy some media sometimes, right? (I do have various hobbies that don't require it and I think that's good, but that's another issue) Personally, I've been able to keep friends more easily when I'm comfortable with discussing these sorts of issues with them, whether we continue to interact with the media itself or not. (that's part of the reason why the concept of "fandom" also alienated me, but that's... also not an issue for this thread :P)

Esedege, I have no clue how to frame your reply in a quote, so I'll just go straight at it:

Spoiler: this is shorter • show

From my experience, "can I explain why I am hurt" has not worked, but if you truly would lend people an ear, then they'd appreciate it. The thing is that the experience of people of ethnic minorities often sounds totally alien to people, so when I explain it, a lot of people will just scratch their heads and go "well don't watch it then." And I understand that reaction, because needing to see something's flaws exposed often does completely ruin the experience of enjoying it.

So, in a simple equation, it's the difficult process of balancing "I enjoy this thing, let me enjoy it" and "this other group of people has never been able to enjoy things the same way, what do I do now?" If you need context, that group of youtubers you mention that often discuss issues related to race/sexuality/gender have pretty much always elicited a "what are you going to tell me, racism exists?" type of reaction from me. I made it through parts of a couple of their videos at different points in time, and then skipped to the conclusion because most of it was just telling me more or less what I already knew. But, then again, you've learned things from them and that might help the people around you in the long run! So, for that, I hope you continue to learn from them as long as they're making good content.

Isn’t it weird and actually wonderful that we have such a fandom here? Just to think what sort of crowd a fanbase for this work could have become. Actually now I wonder whether there is another fan group somewhere with the completely opposite ideas, celebrating SSSS (sheesh the acronym seems Very Unfortunate right at this moment) for its whiteness, not despite it. Shuddersome to think about it.

Yep, this is an utterly terrifying thought! Evil twin SSSS forum, may you never gain prominence.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #584 on: April 23, 2021, 06:13:22 AM »

Esedege, I have no clue how to frame your reply in a quote, so I'll just go straight at it:

Spoiler: this is shorter • show

From my experience, "can I explain why I am hurt" has not worked, but if you truly would lend people an ear, then they'd appreciate it. The thing is that the experience of people of ethnic minorities often sounds totally alien to people, so when I explain it, a lot of people will just scratch their heads and go "well don't watch it then." And I understand that reaction, because needing to see something's flaws exposed often does completely ruin the experience of enjoying it.

So, in a simple equation, it's the difficult process of balancing "I enjoy this thing, let me enjoy it" and "this other group of people has never been able to enjoy things the same way, what do I do now?" If you need context, that group of youtubers you mention that often discuss issues related to race/sexuality/gender have pretty much always elicited a "what are you going to tell me, racism exists?" type of reaction from me. I made it through parts of a couple of their videos at different points in time, and then skipped to the conclusion because most of it was just telling me more or less what I already knew. But, then again, you've learned things from them and that might help the people around you in the long run! So, for that, I hope you continue to learn from them as long as they're making good content.

As someone who still has great potential to be the person scratching their head, let me tell you this. Some people may not get it immediately, but will keep it in a corner of their heads. And after a few extra weeks, months or even years spent simply continuing to live their with what you told them in a coner of their head, they will finally understand what you meant. What you told them may serve as a base to build on or add to an already exisintg base, and while it's entirely your choice to share or not, whether you share or not may make a difference on the information they have on the subject. My current understanding of the situation of minorities I'm not part of is not built entirely off what I got from a single source or person. It's made out of like five to ten sources at least, and having only the information from any single one of them would have left me scratching my head.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:08:58 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.