Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play  (Read 46912 times)

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3: Play
« Reply #300 on: January 03, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »
:no: "Ah... I'm sorry" she says. "There are some differences between Danish and Norwegian, and neither Leif nor I have any military experience. It was an honest mistake." She pauses for a bit. "And I'm not stupid. I'll stay out of the way of proper soldiers when we're in danger, and I won't go off board unless it's completely safe. And I'll make sure there's always someone with me on deck at night, when I'm doing my navigation stuff." She wonders if it's polite to ask... but he probably wouldn't have mentioned... "So, how does a biologist end up in the army? What theory did you have?"

~~~~~
Leif is vibing in his office, doing paperwork. He is quite happy with himself and a lesson he held.

He is feeling

distinctly

:sparkle: fabulous :sparkle:

As Leif vibes away in his office, a loud knock comes at the door, clearly from someone used to thicker doors with more insulation.
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
On board the ship, after the initial sounds of sharpening die off, there's a lot of curiously muffled hammering that gets quieter and quieter until nobody in the ship can hear anything at all coming from the forge.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »
Saga quietly listens and lets him talk uninterrupted.

Suddenly a pair of cats start meowing, one is over the refrigerator, the other under the bed

:dk: "Ah, those are my cats, both are female"

:es: "Kota, Chiqui, come here girls" - says Alergo while getting his documents while both cats come and get on the table looking curiously at Saga

:dk: "If they can't come, I have one of my uncles here that loves both of them and can take care of them if needed" - explains Alergo document now in his hands

:no: "Aww, they're cute. I'm not sure if we have space for them... We could ask Leif." Saga takes the documents from Alergo, takes a seat and starts reading through the papers.
From what she knows of the Swedish cleansers, this is neither particularly impressive nor lousy. He did seem to be coming with all the recommendations he promised... and Leif didn't react to his card, so that isn't a fake, either... But then again, is a Sergeant really a rank high enough to be taken on as a commander for this... She really wishes Leif was there with her. Knowing him, he's probably preaching something to poor Dísa.
But he also knows a foreign language... and unlike Leif's original assumption, he isn't an atheist, so he won't be annoying them for relying on a mage...
He is also friendly and agreeable enough, it seems. She could work with him as her boss, probably. He didn't seem unreasonable, only headstrong...

I really wish Leif was here.

Leif would probably say yes, knowing him.

Argh...

~~~

As Leif vibes away in his office, a loud knock comes at the door, clearly from someone used to thicker doors with more insulation.

Spoiler: show

Distinctly un-fabulous, Leif opens the door. :is: "You know, I've funded everything on this expedition to make sure you all return home safely. If you start breaking stuff, like my door, you will be the one paying for repairs" he tells Oliver.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #303 on: January 03, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »
Saga quietly listens and lets him talk uninterrupted.

:no: "Aww, they're cute. I'm not sure if we have space for them... We could ask Leif." Saga takes the documents from Alergo, takes a seat and starts reading through the papers.
From what she knows of the Swedish cleansers, this is neither particularly impressive nor lousy. He did seem to be coming with all the recommendations he promised... and Leif didn't react to his card, so that isn't a fake, either... But then again, is a Sergeant really a rank high enough to be taken on as a commander for this... She really wishes Leif was there with her. Knowing him, he's probably preaching something to poor Dísa.
But he also knows a foreign language... and unlike Leif's original assumption, he isn't an atheist, so he won't be annoying them for relying on a mage...
He is also friendly and agreeable enough, it seems. She could work with him as her boss, probably. He didn't seem unreasonable, only headstrong...

I really wish Leif was here.

Leif would probably say yes, knowing him.

Argh...

~~~

Distinctly un-fabulous, Leif opens the door. :is: "You know, I've funded everything on this expedition to make sure you all return home safely. If you start breaking stuff, like my door, you will be the one paying for repairs" he tells Oliver.

Although the man standing before him bears a strong familial resemblence to Oliver, he is clearly a few years older and a few inches shorter, with a uniform that appears to have actually come into contanct with an iron before. Slightly further back stands a slightly taller woman with blonde hair and intricately tattooed forearms.  :is: "Ah, I see you were expecting my cousin. Who incidentally, is the person we're here about. I thought we could be of service in terms of sorting out the paperwork that he almost certainly didn't do?" He pauses for a second, then continues, holding out his left hand to shake "How rude of me not to introduce myself. I'm seargent James Harwood, Barra scout corps"

The woman merely nods politely and says "draoidh-corpral Sara Douglas ", in slower but slightly less heavily accented Icelandic.

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:00 AM »
Svenny hears the large male start to beat shiny stones again, and decides that for now, his nap is over. He gets up and stretches, and lopes away down the corridor, and around the place. He must get acquainted with the others at least, and decides to poke his nose into every room, giving a short "brrrt?" as a greeting. He will stop at the first one that responds, and sit down in the doorway, awaiting some, any form of interaction. He knows not to invade private spaces that have now been claimed.

It takes Dísa a while to find a pen. Apparently she had put her pencilcase right at the bottom of her backpack. (Because of course. What you need first is always at the bottom.) She is just finished writing everything on the foodbag when she hears the cat in her doorway.

"Oh, hey there." she sais quietly to not scare him away.

The bag still in her hand, she kneels down in front of the cat and reaches out her hand to pet it. But carefully. An adult cat´s bite hurts.

Belly full but plans for the rest of the day thwarted by the feral colony's rejection of her new friend, Marianne decides to return to Leif's And.  She didn't really get a good look at the bridge before, plus she wants to make sure the expedition's cat isn't going to be an asshole to the orange kitten too.  And it wouldn't kill her to talk to her human crewmates a little m--AACK!

Just steps from the door to her cabin, Marianne trips over Svenny.  She manages not to fall on him or the kitten in her pocket, landing hard on her vodka bottle instead.  Nothing breaks, including the bottle, but that's going to leave a mark.

:no: "duck!  I'm sorry!  Are you OK?  I did NOT mean to do that!"

She pets the fluffy brown cat soothingly.  He doesn't seem hurt.  Neither does the orange kitten, but she is highly unamused.  She squirms out of Marianne's pocket, loudly expressing her displeasure:

"MIIAAA!!"

:no: "I'm really sorry," Marianne continues to assure Svenny.  "I'd never kick you on purpose.  Did you know you're the exact same color as the floor?  Anyway, I'm Marianne--"

The orange kitten seems to notice Svenny for the first time, fluffs up, hisses, and yells, "MIIIIIIIAAAAAAAA!!!"

:no: "Annnnd I guess this is Mia."

Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Fuzipeg

• Scout
« Reply #305 on: January 04, 2021, 01:53:34 PM »
Belly full but plans for the rest of the day thwarted by the feral colony's rejection of her new friend, Marianne decides to return to Leif's And.  She didn't really get a good look at the bridge before, plus she wants to make sure the expedition's cat isn't going to be an asshole to the orange kitten too.  And it wouldn't kill her to talk to her human crewmates a little m--AACK!

Just steps from the door to her cabin, Marianne trips over Svenny.  She manages not to fall on him or the kitten in her pocket, landing hard on her vodka bottle instead.  Nothing breaks, including the bottle, but that's going to leave a mark.

She pets the fluffy brown cat soothingly.  He doesn't seem hurt.  Neither does the orange kitten, but she is highly unamused.  She squirms out of Marianne's pocket, loudly expressing her displeasure:

"MIIAAA!!"

:no: "I'm really sorry," Marianne continues to assure Svenny.  "I'd never kick you on purpose.  Did you know you're the exact same color as the floor?  Anyway, I'm Marianne--"

The orange kitten seems to notice Svenny for the first time, fluffs up, hisses, and yells, "MIIIIIIIAAAAAAAA!!!"

The long-legs in this room approaches cautiously, which is good as Svenny is wide awake right now. He gives her a sniff, then nudges her for pets and rubs his face a little against her fore-paw. Nice one, seems nice. Acted as should, might share bed. Hmm, noise has calmed down...

As he stands up to go closer and start rubbing his length along the limb, he is kicked sideways in his back leg; startled, he shrieks, then skids as he runs forwards in his new facing, straight into the door.

Slightly dazed, he stops, gets his bearings, and walks deliberately and slowly, and slightly wobbly, to the bed. He climbs up on it with some effort, and lays spread-eagled on the nearest soft part.
From the :gb: , and I'm into a lot of things.

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #306 on: January 04, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
Astrid claims one of the cabins near the forge in case she needed to do an emergency repair in the middle of the night. It's not very big, but cosy, and that satisfies Astrid. She stows away her belongings, and drops down onto the bed. She didn't mean to, but soon, she ends up falling asleep.

See? Astrid was just asleep. It totally wasn't me forgetting to check the forum all holiday break. Nope. Not at all. :'D
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2021, 03:30:15 PM »
The long-legs in this room approaches cautiously, which is good as Svenny is wide awake right now. He gives her a sniff, then nudges her for pets and rubs his face a little against her fore-paw. Nice one, seems nice. Acted as should, might share bed. Hmm, noise has calmed down...

As he stands up to go closer and start rubbing his length along the limb, he is kicked sideways in his back leg; startled, he shrieks, then skids as he runs forwards in his new facing, straight into the door.

Slightly dazed, he stops, gets his bearings, and walks deliberately and slowly, and slightly wobbly, to the bed. He climbs up on it with some effort, and lays spread-eagled on the nearest soft part.

The cat... wants to be pet???  <3 <3 <3

While Dísa is still processing this unexpected turn of events, someone kicks her new friend away.

"MIIAAA!!"

Dísa looks back and forth between the panicked Grade B-cat hiding as dignified as possible in the mess her bed is since she threw everything out of her backpack in searching for a pen, Marianne and her screaming kitten.

Ok, everybody needs to calm down, probably. The kitten doesn´t seem to be hurt, neither does the crew´s official cat, so she decides to help Marianne first.

":is: Are... you ok? It sounded like you fell on glass. Nothing´s broken, right?"

She reaches out her hand to help her up.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:34:02 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
Although the man standing before him bears a strong familial resemblence to Oliver, he is clearly a few years older and a few inches shorter, with a uniform that appears to have actually come into contanct with an iron before. Slightly further back stands a slightly taller woman with blonde hair and intricately tattooed forearms.  :is: "Ah, I see you were expecting my cousin. Who incidentally, is the person we're here about. I thought we could be of service in terms of sorting out the paperwork that he almost certainly didn't do?" He pauses for a second, then continues, holding out his left hand to shake "How rude of me not to introduce myself. I'm seargent James Harwood, Barra scout corps"

The woman merely nods politely and says "draoidh-corpral Sara Douglas ", in slower but slightly less heavily accented Icelandic.

Leif pauses for a moment. Hmmmmm... :is: "Right. James. Of course. I apologize, you and Oliver look quite similar." He shakes his hand with his left without a moment of hesitation. "It's nice to finally meet you. :gb: Would English be more convenient...?" he asks. He speaks language almost perfectly, with barely any accent, unlike Saga. :gb: "No, your cousin did not do any of his paperwork. It is already in the process of being dealt with, however. I am grateful for your offer, but your assistance is not necessary. Your company is most welcome nonetheless." He moves out of the way to let them inside.

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »
Leif pauses for a moment. Hmmmmm... :is: "Right. James. Of course. I apologize, you and Oliver look quite similar." He shakes his hand with his left without a moment of hesitation. "It's nice to finally meet you. :gb: Would English be more convenient...?" he asks. He speaks language almost perfectly, with barely any accent, unlike Saga. :gb: "No, your cousin did not do any of his paperwork. It is already in the process of being dealt with, however. I am grateful for your offer, but your assistance is not necessary. Your company is most welcome nonetheless." He moves out of the way to let them inside.

James and Sara step inside, and she says  :eng: "Given how well you can speak it, yes, it would be more convenient. Where did you learn to speak English so well? You look like an academic, but not the field researcher sort, if you don't mind my tactlessness." 

She turns to James and jokes :sct: "It seems their skalds have resurrected an accent. Though he looks pretty rich and proud of his family, so he wouldn't be bothered if he knew how he's gone full received pronounciation."

:eng: "Sorry, awfully rude for me to talk about you behind your back when you're looking at me. Anyway, do you have a mage in the crew? I might be able to contact them in an emergency if other means of communication, as I'll be geographically a lot closer, even if our gods and magic work differently. "
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:31:04 PM by R.M.S.N.P »

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »

James and Sara step inside, and she says  :eng: "Given how well you can speak it, yes, it would be more convenient. Where did you learn to speak English so well? You look like an academic, but not the field researcher sort, if you don't mind my tactlessness." 

She turns to James and jokes :sct: "It seems their skalds have resurrected an accent. Though he looks pretty rich and proud of his family, so he wouldn't be bothered if he knew how he's gone full received pronounciation."

:eng: "Sorry, awfully rude for me to talk about you behind your back when you're looking at me. Anyway, do you have a mage in the crew? I might be able to contact them in an emergency if other means of communication, as I'll be geographically a lot closer, even if our gods and magic work differently. "

:gb: "I am an academic, yes. It was a necessity for me to learn an Old World language. Without understanding it, I'd never have been able to do all the research that was needed to plan this journey. Old United Kingdom's tongue seemed like the perfect choice, as I have learned they were big on sailing and recording their findings" Leif says. While he successfully dialed back his standard air of arrogance, a compliment on his skill with a foreign language does let a smug smile escape.
But these people weren't the crew.
Nor strangers.
Nor college friends.
Nor somebody he had to work with, yet.
A completely different class of people to whom he might have to report a death, should something happen. It required a different way of acting.
So, self-control of an entirely different kind it is.
What did Saga say before...? Fetch the people something to drink? That is a polite thing to do in this situation, probably. "Have a seat. Would you like something to drink?" he offers. "I know little of British mages... I will start with the assumption that you can access the world between life and death as you sleep? I believe it is usually described as an infinite sea with islands belonging to the mages. Icelandic mages can walk on that water, but Finnish ones cannot. Since you are offering your services, does it mean you have a way of getting around...?" Being nice and polite won't stop him from a good monologue. Nothing will.

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2021, 12:50:15 AM »
The cat... wants to be pet???  <3 <3 <3

While Dísa is still processing this unexpected turn of events, someone kicks her new friend away.

Dísa looks back and forth between the panicked Grade B-cat hiding as dignified as possible in the mess her bed is since she threw everything out of her backpack in searching for a pen, Marianne and her screaming kitten.

Ok, everybody needs to calm down, probably. The kitten doesn´t seem to be hurt, neither does the crew´s official cat, so she decides to help Marianne first.

":is: Are... you ok? It sounded like you fell on glass. Nothing´s broken, right?"

She reaches out her hand to help her up.

Marianne startles at realizing another human is so close.

Gah!  Great.  Someone saw that.  Of course they did.

Knowing from experience that taking the proffered hand is more likely to result in pulling the much smaller woman down than being helped up, she scrambles to her feet unassisted.

:is: "I'm fine.  I just tripped.  On him."

She points at Svenny, then approaches him carefully, still apologizing, this time in Icelandic.

Shit.  Wait.  Be polite to the human too.

Marianne retreats out of Disa's cabin and stands in the doorway.

:is: "Can I come in your cabin?  Just long enough to make him not scared of me if possible.  And do you want a drink?  I can pour it in another container so you can have it later if you have one.  If you want."
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2021, 08:21:19 AM »
Marianne startles at realizing another human is so close.

Gah!  Great.  Someone saw that.  Of course they did.

Knowing from experience that taking the proffered hand is more likely to result in pulling the much smaller woman down than being helped up, she scrambles to her feet unassisted.

:is: "I'm fine.  I just tripped.  On him."

She points at Svenny, then approaches him carefully, still apologizing, this time in Icelandic.

Shit.  Wait.  Be polite to the human too.

Marianne retreats out of Disa's cabin and stands in the doorway.

:is: "Can I come in your cabin?  Just long enough to make him not scared of me if possible.  And do you want a drink?  I can pour it in another container so you can have it later if you have one.  If you want."

Well, her cabin is in absolute chaos, but Marianne saw it already anyways, so she might as well come in. Dísa gestures her to come inside while cursing herself for not being able to keep a room clean for more than five minutes.

":is: Thank you for the offer but... I´m not a great fan of alcohol." Wait, was it rude to decline? Whatever, too late, change the subject. "Do you know what this cat´s name is?" She points at the crew´s Grade B-cat while taking a bit of lambmeat out of her leftover-bag. Food lures out scared cats most of the time.

"Hey, it´s ok, no one wanted to hurt you", she tells the cat on her bed while offering him the lamb.

She hands Marianne the bag. "Maybe he´ll forgive you if you feed him. You can take some of this if you want to."
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
:gb: "I am an academic, yes. It was a necessity for me to learn an Old World language. Without understanding it, I'd never have been able to do all the research that was needed to plan this journey. Old United Kingdom's tongue seemed like the perfect choice, as I have learned they were big on sailing and recording their findings" Leif says. While he successfully dialed back his standard air of arrogance, a compliment on his skill with a foreign language does let a smug smile escape.
But these people weren't the crew.
Nor strangers.
Nor college friends.
Nor somebody he had to work with, yet.
A completely different class of people to whom he might have to report a death, should something happen. It required a different way of acting.
So, self-control of an entirely different kind it is.
What did Saga say before...? Fetch the people something to drink? That is a polite thing to do in this situation, probably. "Have a seat. Would you like something to drink?" he offers. "I know little of British mages... I will start with the assumption that you can access the world between life and death as you sleep? I believe it is usually described as an infinite sea with islands belonging to the mages. Icelandic mages can walk on that water, but Finnish ones cannot. Since you are offering your services, does it mean you have a way of getting around...?" Being nice and polite won't stop him from a good monologue. Nothing will.

As they take their seats, James replies  :eng: "Tea for both of us, please, but Sara doesn't normally have any milk in hers. Also, not sure how you norsemen do it, but milk goes in after boiling water if you're using a teabag" He smiles with the last sentence to show he's mostly joking.

Other than nodding to affirm James' interpetation of what she'd like to drink, Sara waits for him to finish, then begins  :eng: "I have, but not quite in the same way. I cannot cross the water at will like an Icelandic mage, I have to know where I'm going, by knowing the mage I'm trying to contact personally, and having some physical connection, such as having exchanged talismans or similar objects, like these." She takes from a belt pouch a stone about half the size of her palm, and holds it in a way for Leif to be able to see it easily. The main surface has an oak tree with spreading branches carved into it, whilst the border has interlaced lines curved to look like knotwork.     

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »

As they take their seats, James replies  :eng: "Tea for both of us, please, but Sara doesn't normally have any milk in hers. Also, not sure how you norsemen do it, but milk goes in after boiling water if you're using a teabag" He smiles with the last sentence to show he's mostly joking.

Other than nodding to affirm James' interpetation of what she'd like to drink, Sara waits for him to finish, then begins  :eng: "I have, but not quite in the same way. I cannot cross the water at will like an Icelandic mage, I have to know where I'm going, by knowing the mage I'm trying to contact personally, and having some physical connection, such as having exchanged talismans or similar objects, like these." She takes from a belt pouch a stone about half the size of her palm, and holds it in a way for Leif to be able to see it easily. The main surface has an oak tree with spreading branches carved into it, whilst the border has interlaced lines curved to look like knotwork.     

Leif decides to laugh along with James' joke. :gb: "I will let you add the milk as you please," he says, putting a kettle to boil.

He takes a look at the talisman Sara is holding up. "I am not sure our mage has something like that... She is on the ship, I would assume. If there are no other pressing matters we should deal with here, perhaps we should go meet her immediately, and have the tea later... You were only here for the paperwork, James?" he asks.