Your favorite OTP?

Emil/Lalli
Mikkel/Sigrun
Reynir/Tuuri
Onni/Reynir
Sigrun/Tuuri
Lalli/Reynir
Sigrun/Emil
Other (feel free to mention in the replies)

Author Topic: Shipping Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 2401 times)

LilG

Shipping Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »
Recently, I have gotten quite curious about the current OTP preference percentages in the fandom.
I know there is an older thread with a poll just like this one, but that one’s pretty old and I didn’t feel like accidentally resurrecting the bit of drama that had transpired at the end of that thread’s life, so that’s why I’ve decided to make a new one. And, considering that former thread is now five and a half years old and has been “dead” for about three or four years, I’d like to see how much the percentages have changed in the fandom since then.

I’ve added options for the ships that seem to be, or were at some point, the more popular in the fandom. If your fave is not here, feel free to mention it in the replies!

Also, you’re welcome to use this as a general shipping discussion thread, as long as that’s ok with the mods to happen here and not just on the more “classy” board.

Spoiler: also, a question for the moderators • show

What exactly would you considered a bad case of thread necromancy?
I’d like to know for potential future thread necromancies, so as to not end up in an awkward situation.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 06:20:22 AM by LilG »
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Shipping Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
I agree with your reasoning on the restart of this particular subject. The question could go into the Forum discussion board too, as I’m sure it’s something many people wonder every now and then.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LilG

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
Oh I wasn’t referring to the general forum board when I said ““classy” board”, I was referring to the mature board ;D
Though, I guess this could also go on the general board, but it’s still mainly ssss related, so I don’t think it would really fit there unless I make it multi-fandom related.

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
A new thread about ships? I'm on board!

sorry that was very bad, I'll go hide under a rock now
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
Lilg, sorry. I understood what you meant by the classy board :) And I think and hope the shipping thread can stay here on the normal SSSS Board. I’m also interested to see the poll results!

I was very unclear! I meant the question about thread necromancy. Which is a good question and could warrant a thread of its own in the Forum and Website Discussion board (in the About the Site part of Forum)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
A new thread about ships? I'm on board!
[reaches for har,puun]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
My view, which is not necessarily the view of the whole admin crew: the thread states it's about shipping, right there in its name.  It's not vague.  If someone doesn't want shippy content, the obvious answer is that they should leave this thread alone. 
Overall Forum rules apply; be civil.  It would not be appropriate for someone to come in and trash the discussion about characters yearning (etc) for one another, either to promote their own ships or to advocate for a lack of ships.
If a shippy discussion starts straying into more mature content about specifics of what the characters might enjoy doing with one another, please take that into the Mature board.  Talk about it, draw it, write about it, let your sap rise.

8)

I find thread necromancy is generally okay.  Many older threads *deserve* resurrection, while some are hopelessly jossed by canon. It would not be appropriate to resurrect an old thread just to moan about how it's jossed now, or simply to say that you agree with something.  But it's well worth it to posit new thoughts on a topic, based on subsequent developments in canon.
This particular discussion?  *shrug*  To be honest, I'm one of the ones who thinks that people can coexist together for decades without ever wanting to smooch, so I'm not familiar with the previous discussion.  I'd'a thunk it's an evergreen topic, but am intrigued by the idea of a comparison of the polling. (SCIENCE!)

(Note to self: examine old threads for moving into the Forum Memories board.  I haven't done that in a while.)  The Forum Memories board contains lots of lovely content, particularly the old exchanges and calendars. However, none of those threads should be resurrected.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LilG

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
Jitter, In that case I agree that it could also go there, though I’ve already received my answers, so maybe someone should post the answer alongside the question on a thread there (I dunno what thread would be fit for it).

Wavewright, Thanks for the clarification! And don’t forget to take those fabulous mod glasses off ;)
Besides what I’ve already stated, I chose not to resurrect the old shipping thread because I wanted the poll part of this to be more serious than the previous one and to also focus just on “actual (relation)ships” and not feature any jokes or a “none” or “all of ‘em” answer. I wanted to know the actual precise statistics of those that do ship someone/something (re: no “none” answer) (also dunno the correct “some-“ to use here :/ ) and are pretty certain of what particular OTP they like (re: no “all of ‘em” answer). And, it also wouldn’t fit to have jokey ones, since those would have most likely been chosen by those that didn’t ship anything/anyone or outright hated ships entirely and didn’t feel like participating with anything to the conversation itself while at the same time not choosing to ignore it. It would have kind of ruined the “science-y” thing that I was aiming for and the same for anyone that might have also wanted to know the true statistics.
Also, the previous statistics were made by someone else and I couldn’t reset them to zero or change or delete any of the options, therefore I couldn’t really have a clean slate. The entire previous thread also feels a bit disconnected from the present imo, since it is so very old and the opinions on some of the characters’ or ships’ potentials have presumably changed* throughout the years, along with newer and older people that have come and gone from the forum and the fandom since then.
So yeah, that’s why I chose to make a new thread.

*Except Emilalli. That seems to remain an eternal constant for everyone in the fandom :)), unless something really, REALLY AWFUL were to happen between them, which is what sorta’, but not really, supposedly happened with the whole “incapacitating Emil with terribly painful headaches” debacle, but I wasn’t present in the fandom when it originally happened and I can only judge from the comments on those pages or the thing about it in YMMV on TV Tropes.

Also, are you also part of the administrator forum crew, not just the moderator crew?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 06:22:58 AM by LilG »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
I'm just a mod, not an administrator.  My propeller is very tiny, and I don't understand the actual workings of the site.   O:-)  I have some oversight and control over user functions, including monitoring and blocking abuse and spam attempts, and thread management.   C:-)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »
Eh, it was kind of a tie between Mikkel/Sigrun and Reynir/Tuuri in my case. Pity we can't actually choose two…
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
It’s no wonder Sigrun/Tuuri has gone down with Tuuri’s current circumstances, but I’m surprised there is a 0 for Reynir / Onni. Although it probably has to do with being able to only pick one :) For me they are a strong second, but still second.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
The pairings that I feel most strongly about are actually all prologue pairings! So I had to select Other. :)

Signe Sørensen/Michael Madsen might be my favourite. Or Aksel Eide/Sigrun Larsen. It's hard to decide between them, because both pairs have such fun chemistry, even in the very short amount of pre-relationship time that we see them together.

For pairings with the Year 90 cast... Oh, I don't know, I'm currently mostly interested in pairings with any of the main crew/original characters, mostly because of the worldbuilding opportunities that offers. :)

Though in general I'm up for pretty much any pairing as long as the scenario behind it is interesting. I'm flexible!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 01:12:35 AM »
Is it possible to see the results of the poll without voting? Because I'm interested in seeing what people chose, but as I do not personally ship anything, I don't want to add in a vote as that would change the results (a minor change, sure, but a change nonetheless).

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Is it possible to see the results of the poll without voting?

I don't think so.

Here's a copypaste of the current results for you:

Spoiler: show

Emil/Lalli 16 (53.3%)
Mikkel/Sigrun 6 (20%)
Reynir/Tuuri 3 (10%)
Onni/Reynir 2 (6.7%)
Sigrun/Tuuri 1 (3.3%)
Lalli/Reynir 1 (3.3%)
Sigrun/Emil 0 (0%)
Other 1 (3.3%)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:12:28 PM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

LilG

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
Welp... I’m kinda in a pickle ain’t I :/

When I originally made this thread, I hadn’t taken into consideration that someone not particularly into any ship might be interested in the results of the poll.

My reasoning for not making the results available for everyone to see, even those that haven’t voted, is that I wouldn’t want to influence the decision of someone who’d want to vote by seeing the percentages first.
Let’s say, for example, that a particular ship is the most popular and someone also ships it, but it’s not really their favorite OTP, and yet they still vote for it so as to feel like they are part of the “cool kids”. Similarly for someone voting for a ship because it doesn’t have any votes yet, or voting for a ship with a low percentage so as to get it higher (again, even though that ship isn’t their favorite OTP).

I’m sorry if this sounds a bit paranoid and extreme, but I really wouldn’t want to influence someone’s decision, no matter how slight the chances are, as I’m really, really interested in the “raw, unaltered data” of this poll.