Author Topic: Covid 19 - How we survived the Rash!  (Read 8505 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: Covid 19 - How we survived the Rash!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »
Yup, they're all Kill Team. I kinda lost interest in the "big" 40k when the 8th edition hit. I have some...strong opinions regarding the ruleset. Necrons are my third Kill Team, after the Genestealer Cults and the Tyranids. I might post some pics of those once I get them back since they're currently stored somewhere else.

I hardly ever play (mostly into the lore and crafting aspects) so have no strong opinion on the rules. I've been thinking about getting into Kill Team though, particularly after re-reading the Last Chancers novels.

In non-40k distractions I've been whiling away a lot of time watching WillBits' playthrough of the Harry Potter game "Hogwarts Mystery" on YouTube. The game is reasonably interesting for any Potter fans, but his commentary and sense of humour makes it highly entertaining.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 02:25:31 AM »
In memory of Tim Brooke-Taylor, I've been binge-listening to the classic radio-show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, in which he was a regular panel member.

Honestly, I haven't laughed so much in ages.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Yastreb

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 02:30:36 AM »
I'm not sure if this is an option for you or not, but there are quite a few ways of adapting an RPG to an online setting. There was an article on DnDbeyond recently which covered many of the most important points. It speaks about Dungeons and Dragons specifically, but many of the tips can be adapted to other RPG formats.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/750-new-players-guide-how-to-play-d-d-online

I've been playing DnD online with my friends for around 2 years now (and did Ryuutama for a few months online as well), so we've figured out quite a few of the kinks already. If you'd like, I'd be happy to talk about what works for us and help you figure out a way for you to continue playing with your group  :)

Thanx for the suggestions. We actually tried to play via Skype, and all was fine until I kept losing connectivity. About two hours was lost thereby. We'll try it again sometime.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:28 AM »
In memory of Tim Brooke-Taylor, I've been binge-listening to the classic radio-show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, in which he was a regular panel member.

I think every Australian of my generation was hit hard by his loss. Coming home after school to watch The Goodies was just part of being a kid in the late 80s/ early 90s - even when you knew every episode by heart (*starts singing String*)

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2020, 04:49:36 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures from me, intended to lift the spirits. My craft is writing, so these are not made by me, just photographed :)

Our beloved doggo:

Spring flowers from my garden (the yellow one is a wildflower although it grows in your yard)

Glass ornament with some sunset colors

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:14:01 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:28 AM »
Ooh, Jitter, I love your dog, and the flowers! And if we're sharing some dog/garden pics, I've got a couple.

This is my dog - taking her on runs has really helped lift my spirits during these times. It also gets me out of the house.
(spoiler, because I don't know how big the image is)
Spoiler: show

And our passionfruit vine has been flourishing lately (it seems to have enjoyed summer's heat). It's flowering heaps and new fruit are appearing every day! It's only been in the ground for about a year as well, we planted it soon after we moved to this house.
On one of the nights when the moon was really big I went outside to look at the moon and ended up discovering the wonders of night-time flash photography, which is how I got this pic of the flower.
Spoiler: show

Anyway, that's a few of the things that have been cheering me up lately.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 06:20:46 AM »
Oops I meant to post two different flowers, fixed now :)

Keep looking, she is beautiful! How big is she? What breed? Ours American Hairless Terrier although she is a hairy hairless dog :) She’s just short of 10 kg so very good size to hold in lap! And the same as with, she makes us go outside which helps greatly!

The passionflower is also beautiful! We don’t really grow anything to eat (some red currants but none of us like them so we don’t really use them), so just decorative plants. But having the same plant give both beauty and fruit is just perfect (actually we do have plum trees, we keep them for the looks but some years the give a couple of kilos of fruit)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2020, 07:14:04 AM »
I'm glad you like our dog! We don't really know what breed she is (we got her from the shelter) - they said that she was half border collie and half labrador but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake since she doesn't look like a labrador at all. We suspect she's got some border collie and some kelpie in her, and also possibly some basenji, which would explain her very pointy ears and often curled tail. She's medium sized - a bit over knee high, I think - and very energetic and athletic, so she demands lots of walks and ball-throwing. As for holding her in my lap - she's a bit too big to really fit, but she tries anyway - if I kneel down on the ground, she'll plant her rear end onto my lap very contentedly. She also likes licking faces, although she doesn't lick anywhere else.

My mother really likes growing fruit and veg - in our old house we pretty much grew all our leafy greens and had a lot of fruit trees. In this house there's less space for making a proper vegie garden or orchard, but we've got our passionfruit, and many pumpkins, and basil, and an unreasonable amount of mint which is both delicious and impossible to remove. It's nice to be able to go outside and see the garden growing.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »

I think every Australian of my generation was hit hard by his loss. Coming home after school to watch The Goodies was just part of being a kid in the late 80s/ early 90s - even when you knew every episode by heart (*starts singing String*)

Ah, I'd missed this sad news. I have fond memories of The Goodies - I was just at the edge of old enough to get it, mostly enjoyed the chaotic nonsense, and now have a weird mish-mash of fragmentary memories of show segments. I had a friend who would sometimes come over after school, and I would insist on watching The Goodies. My mother later told me that while I was rolling about on the floor clutching my sides laughing, my poor friend was sitting there looking utterly bewildered.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 12:48:41 AM »
My mother later told me that while I was rolling about on the floor clutching my sides laughing, my poor friend was sitting there looking utterly bewildered.

You might have had a lucky escape there! The Goodies is responsible for the one of the few medically confirmed cases of someone laughing themselves to death :o

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
Keep, I’m no dog expert (doggo is our first) but kelpie looks much likelier than labrador. She doesn’t have either the features or the bulk of a labrador (which also I’m not an expert in but at least I have known several labradors). And basenji might well be right too. Doggo’s tail doesn’t show on these pictures, but her tail is usually high and curled above her back. We often get asked whether she has basenji in her, even by basenji owners :) Yours looks friendlier than many basenjis though. And by the way a friend of mine has a rescued dog too, and he looks very similar to yours! He’s from a shelter somewhere in Europe with no information on the breed mix.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
You might have had a lucky escape there! The Goodies is responsible for the one of the few medically confirmed cases of someone laughing themselves to death :o

Ah, I'd forgotten all about that!  :))  Thanks! I'll see if I can find a less potentially lethal episode to re-introduce myself, and work my way up to that one.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Yastreb

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
My sister and I agreed that we should call each other every day as one measure to fight off the anomie/boredom/cafard of the lockdown, but today I made the call and said, "Nothing to report. Shall I go now?"

We had a laugh over what I said, but both admitted that it's getting like that.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
Now there is a phrase I haven’t heard in awhile - ‘le cafard’. Glad your sister is still okay. How are the kids?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
Perhaps an idea, or just something nice to share, my family have begun video calling each other for 'trivia night' type meetings. Everyone presents ten questions from a different category and we take turns answering them. I am thus far the reigning champion, but we'll see how this weeks goes!