General > General Discussion Board

Covid 19 - Updates from your zones

<< < (2/129) > >>

Róisín:
Husband found an interesting article for me. I can’t do links, but you should find a reference to it if you look up coloradovirtuallibrary and ‘How Gunnison dealt with the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic’. Gunnison is a little town in the Rockies that came unscathed through the first two waves of the 1918 pandemic, and they had some good lessons.

GaelleDragons:
Here in France, we have been on complete lockdown since tuesday 17th march. Our president Macron made an official speech and announced that our country was "at war" against the Covid-19. At first it was only necessary to fill up a paper to justify the reason why you were out of your house, but because a lot people didn't take it seriously and kept on going out with friends and such, more restrictions were added. As of now, the only acceptable reasons for going out are shopping for essential goods (like in many other places, only grocery stores, some shops like boulangeries and pharmacies are open), medical reasons, work (for medical staff, people working at open stores, delivery men...). You are allowed to go out to do sport, but only alone and in a 1km radius from your home. The police is patroling on the streets and checking everyone's papers. There's a 135€ fee for those who are outside the limits or don't have a paper.

As for me, I'd say I'm pretty happy with staying at home instead of going to school every day (it saves me 3 hours per day of public transport). It's less stressfull and I can work pretty much on my own schedule, which is nice. But there are a lot of projects planned for the next few weeks which we will be unable to complete (I'm in an arts-specialized high school in Paris), like an animation course that I was really excited about, or a fashion project that I won't be able to make because all haberdasheries are closed.

I live in a small town in the far banlieue of Paris, and the rules are as strict here as they are in the capital. I used to go on long walks in the forest near my town to relax and get inspired, but the access was restricted a few days ago due to too many people going there to take walks (wich is pretty stupid in my opinion, since the forest is large enough to keep the 1 meter distance between two individuals). Though I can't complain too much, I'm fortunate enough to have a garden and I can even go take a walk on the rooftop of my garage, so it's not too bad.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing okay, and are staying inside as much as possible. Also I want to send a big message of support to all the people currently working in hospitals, they are the real heroes of this "war" (I don't know if any of you are, but I'll send lots of love and support anyway ^^)

JoB:

--- Quote from: Róisín on March 29, 2020, 04:25:54 AM ---I can’t do links, but you should find a reference to it if you look up coloradovirtuallibrary and ‘How Gunnison dealt with the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic’.

--- End quote ---
That'ld be here, I suppose.

Germany has a national regulation, as well as a few states and cities enforcing still-stricter ones; to paraphrase the federal ones, max out-of-bubble crowding is one-on-one, social distancing (private spaces included) by 1.5 m is mandatory (often 2 m are suggested), all physical shops except medical, victual, and takeaway closed, plus restrictions WRT entering Germany (noticeably stricter ones than those for France, but not as strict as those by some of our Eastbound neighbors IIUC). Apart from the border checks, and hotels being forbidden to accept any guests other than business travelers, travel is strongly discouraged, but not outright forbidden, or subject to checkpoints. Latest statements say that the restrictions will not be lessened before 20-Apr (but, of course, may get tightened anytime if necessary).

For the healthcare situation, Germany is quite well-equipped with testing capacity (still not enough to scan the entire populace, though), ICU beds, and breathers, so German hospitals are actually taking severe COVID-19 cases off the hands of Grand Est and Northern Italy. Still no match to what will be needed should we fail to "flatten the curve", though ...

thegreyarea:
Here in Portugal things are basically just like France and Germany (less the "you have to carry a paper" thing they are using in France).

Things are calm, and most (but sadly not all) people are respecting the advises and rules. However since the government announced that road travel between cities would be restricted (except in justified situations, like work or support to older people) some decided to move faster and tried to travel to those places, prompting a swift reaction from the police that now has checkpoints on most roads leading to beach areas and creating a few traffic jams. But now everything seems back to normal.

Bellow is a picture from the "Ribeira" area, the heart of Porto's touristic zone, that would be packed full of tourists in a Spring Sunday afternoon...

Róisín:
JoB, thank you, that’s it. And I reckon they are right about better results from acting earlier rather than later.
We have a new cluster of at least 18 cases near us - American and Swiss tourists who thought the rules didn’t apply to them. They were quarantined, but a couple of them drove to Adelaide anyway, where they got out by air (probably a private flight, they were tourists). What scares me is that before they were stopped they had been all over the Barossa: wineries, tourist sites, fancy food places etc etc. Dammit, the residents live here too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version