Author Topic: Language Introduction thread!  (Read 78038 times)

tulikokko

• Tumblr
  • kiwi in finland, weird bird person
Re: Language Introduction thread!
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Actually I'm afraid that your avatar is closer to that event than your comment ... ;)

So it is! I love this sequence so thanks for making me read it again.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2017, 01:36:25 AM »
:estonia: Mina olenut postimas umbes kolm aastad nüüd, aga täna on esimest korda ma olen näinud see tore leht.
I've been posting for nearly 3 years now, but today is the first time I've seen this lovely page.
The ommission is gobsmacking, and I haven't the slightest idea how to say *that.*
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

tulikokko

• Tumblr
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
:estonia: Mina olenut postimas umbes kolm aastad nüüd, aga täna on esimest korda ma olen näinud see tore leht.
I've been posting for nearly 3 years now, but today is the first time I've seen this lovely page.
The ommission is gobsmacking, and I haven't the slightest idea how to say *that.*

Omg, I love that I can get the gist of a lot of these words! Estonian is so much fun.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »
Omg, I love that I can get the gist of a lot of these words! Estonian is so much fun.
I was told once that Finns viewed Estonians and their language as country bumpkins using simple words to suit their simple minds, and the Estonians thought the Finns were full of themselves and made their language overly flowery and high-falutin', to use the American idiom.  *shrug* 
I really can't follow much of the Finnish, to be honest, although I do better since finding ARtD and SSSS - I know to substitute the Finnish "y" with the Estonian "ü" when sounding out the syllables, for instance.
I have often said I speak "nagu tobe laps", an idiot child, because I am all but illiterate, and only ever learned vocabulary to the extent a child would.  The difference is that I know how to tell someone that I vomited, but I can't tell them how I'm inspired.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

tulikokko

• Tumblr
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2017, 05:45:11 AM »
I was told once that Finns viewed Estonians and their language as country bumpkins using simple words to suit their simple minds, and the Estonians thought the Finns were full of themselves and made their language overly flowery and high-falutin', to use the American idiom.  *shrug* 
I really can't follow much of the Finnish, to be honest, although I do better since finding ARtD and SSSS - I know to substitute the Finnish "y" with the Estonian "ü" when sounding out the syllables, for instance.
I have often said I speak "nagu tobe laps", an idiot child, because I am all but illiterate, and only ever learned vocabulary to the extent a child would.  The difference is that I know how to tell someone that I vomited, but I can't tell them how I'm inspired.

I bet your grammar is really natural though, so the hardest part of learning a Uralic language is already out of the way. If you wanted to brush up your vocabulary with daily Memrise sessions or something (you can get it on your phone and it reminds you every day) I bet you'd pick it up super fast! This one has a colourful "curses" section so I guess it goes beyond the child vocab a bit... https://www.memrise.com/course/279036/estonian-vocabulary/

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
I bet your grammar is really natural though, so the hardest part of learning a Uralic language is already out of the way. If you wanted to brush up your vocabulary with daily Memrise sessions or something (you can get it on your phone and it reminds you every day) I bet you'd pick it up super fast! This one has a colourful "curses" section so I guess it goes beyond the child vocab a bit... https://www.memrise.com/course/279036/estonian-vocabulary/
*hyperventilates*  No. Way.

That Bunny

• Just a bunny which thinks that it is a person.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/or just call me Bunny ;3
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »
:brazil:
Olá, eu sou That Bunny (Aquele Coelho) e venho do Brasil. Além de português, a minha língua materna, sei falar alemão fluentemente e acho que aprendi o suficiente de inglês para ser fluente também nessa língua. No futuro, ainda quero aprender japonês, russo e finlandês. Fora isso, também entendo um pouco de francês.

:germany:
Hallo, ich bin That Bunny (jenes Kaninchen) und komme aus Brasilien. Ausser Portugiesisch, meiner Muttersprache, kann ich auch fliessend Deutsch sprechen und glaube dass ich auch schon genügend Englisch gelernt habe um fliessend zu sprechen. In Zukunft will ich auch noch Japanisch, Russisch und Finnisch lernen. Ich verstehe auch etwas Französisch.

:uk:
Hello, I'm That Bunny and I am from Brazil. Apart from portuguese, my mother language, I also speak german fluently and I think that I learned sufficiently english so that I can consider myself a fluent speaker. I also want to learn japanese, russian and finnish. I also understand a bit of french.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:14:44 PM by wavewright62 »
Fluent: :brazil: :germany: :uk:
Understand something: :france: :spain:
Want to learn: :japan: :finland: :russia:

:chap19:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
:brazil:
Olá, eu sou That Bunny (Aquele Coelho) e venho do Brasil. Além de português, a minha língua materna, sei falar alemão fluentemente e acho que aprendi o suficiente de inglês para ser fluente também nessa língua. No futuro, ainda quero aprender japonês, russo e finlandês. Fora isso, também entendo um pouco de francês.

:germany:
Hallo, ich bin That Bunny (jenes Kaninchen) und komme aus Brasilien. Ausser Portugiesisch, meiner Muttersprache, kann ich auch fliessend Deutsch sprechen und glaube dass ich auch schon genügend Englisch gelernt habe um fliessend zu sprechen. In Zukunft will ich auch noch Japanisch, Russisch und Finnisch lernen. Ich verstehe auch etwas Französisch.

:uk:
Hello, I'm That Bunny and I am from Brazil. Apart from portuguese, my mother language, I also speak german fluently and I think that I learned sufficiently english so that I can consider myself a fluent speaker. I also want to learn japanese, russian and finnish. I also understand a bit of french.
Hello! (I fixed the 'Germany' flag icon.)  You definitely deserve all those flags in your sig file! 

skips

• skips, at your service!
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
Never saw this and thought I'd give it a shot! A shot in the dark with two of my languages, that is...

Norwegian first since I'm born and raised here!

Hei, jeg er Skips. Jeg kommer fra Akershus i Norge og bor i nærheten av et universitet. Jeg snakker norsk og engelsk like godt, men er ikke så flink i tysk og svensk... oops. Jeg fyller sytten i år!

then I'll try my hand at German...

Hallo, ich heisse Skips! Ich kommt aus Norwegen und lebe in Akershus, in der nähe von eine Universität... Ich spreche norwegisch und englisch gut, aber deutsch und swedisch nicht so viel! Ich versuche, ich verspreche... Ich werde siebzehn dieses Jahre!

and at last in English because I cannot be bothered with Swedish!

Hi, I'm skips. I come from Akershus in Norway and I live close to a university. I speak Norwegian and English equally well, but I'm not as good in Swedish and German. I'm turning seventeen this year!

aaand that will be all. Let's all hope I didn't make a fatal grammatical error in German.
fluent: :norway: :uk: :sweden:
learning (slowly): :poland: :germany:
few phrases like the tourist i am: :russia: :france:

delicate flower, always yelling, talk to me about hussars

That Bunny

« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
Hallo Skips! Dein Deutsch ist doch ganz gut! ;) Es sind nur ganz kleine Fehler drinn, die bei denen sich sogar fliessend sprechende manchmal nicht ganz klar sind (Kasus der Verben und so weiter)! Glückwünsche!

Konnash

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
Olá para todos, podem me chamar de Konnash.
Moro no Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, tenho um noivo que assim como eu curte jogos, livros, filmes... enfim, muitas coisas.
É claro, minha língua nativa é o portugues brasileiro. Leio e escrevo inglês fluentemente (mas falo pouco), entendo um pouco de espanhol e francês (não vão me ver escrevendo ou falando nada)

Hi to all, you may call me Konnash.
I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, have a fiancée who like me like games (videogames and pen-and-paper rpgs), movies, books... plenty of things.
Of course my native language is Brazilian Portuguese. Can read and write English fluently (don't speak much, though), understand a little Spanish and French (you won't see me writing or speaking).

That Bunny

« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »
Olá para todos, podem me chamar de Konnash.
Moro no Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, tenho um noivo que assim como eu curte jogos, livros, filmes... enfim, muitas coisas.

*high five* (mas sou de SP no caso)  :'D achava q era a única brasileira por aqui

Jess McC

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »
uhh, here's hoping? I'm a faker, i dont get to practice these as much as i would like, especially ::) verbally, but here goes nothing!

German:  Tag! Ich heiße Jess, und ich bin sechzehn Jahre alt. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch. Ich mag die Kunst malen. Ich wohne auf die USA.

Translation: Hey! My name is Jess, and I'm sixteen. I speak a little German. I like to paint art (and draw, really, but i forgot the word for it). I live in the US.

(it's in hiragana cus i dont wanna,,, find a keyboard that does kana or kanji rn,,,,)
Japanese: はじみまして。 わたしのなまえわじぇしかです。わたしはこうこうのいちねんせいですがにほんごのくらすではさんねんせいです。どうぞよろしくおねがいします。

Translation: I will introduce myself! my name is Jessica. I am in my first year of high school (10th grade for america) but i am in my third year of Japanese language class. Pleased to meet you!

I'm also, workin on a transfer year in Denmark!! so hopefully i get to do that and then know one more than before, that'd be, super neat ;p

anyways, yes! i am Jess! pleasure to make your acquaintance!

fija

• Tumblr
  • [slavic folk music playing in the background]
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »
:poland: Hej hej, ale się stresuję, od kilku miesięcy chciałam udzielić się w jakiś sposób na tym forum, ale tak się bałam! Jestem strasznie nieśmiała. W każdym razie, jestem fija i pochodzę z Polski (mieszkam tam też). Jestem w 100% Polką, niestety nie pochodzę z dwujęzycznej rodziny. Miło mi wszystkich poznać!

:uk: Hello, i’m so stressed out, i’ve been meaning to become active on this forum for months, but i was so scared! I’m very shy. Anyway, i’m fija and i’m from Poland (that’s also where i live). I’m 100% Polish, sadly i don’t come from a bilingual family. Nice to meet everyone!

:spain: ¡Hola! Me llamo fija y soy de Polonia. Tengo muuucho miedo mientras estoy escribiendo esto, jaja, soy muy tímida. He estado aprendiendo español desde hace 5 años. Pero siento que no sé NADA. Siempre cometo muchos errores, pero quiero mejorar un día. Encantada de conocerte!

:japan: こんにちは、私はフィヤです。ポーランド人ですとポーランドにすんでいます。日本語を三年間ならっています。私の町で日本語の学校があります。先生は日本人ですからたくさん日本語で話します。よろしくおねがいします!

:southkorea: 안녕! 전 피야예용. ㅎㅎ 폴란드 인이고 폴란드에서 살아요. 한국어를 1년 동안 배웠어요. 많이 잊었어요 ㅠㅠ 만나서 반갑습니다

:russia: Всем привет! Я фийа. Я из Польши и живу тоже в Польше. Люблю русские мемы о кошках! Изучаю русский почти год. Изучаю русский потому что моя подруга из Казахстана и начала преподавать меня. Русский похож на польский, и поэтому мне легко! Очень приятно

:finland: Moi! Minun nimeni on fija. Olen kotoisin Puolasta ja asun Puolassa. Rakastan Muumeja! Kun olin lapsi, katsoin Muumien. Toukokuussa menen Suomeen! Haluan puhun vähän suomea kun olen Suomessa. Hauska tavata

I probably made tonnes of mistakes on the way, as usual, but hey — that’s the best way to learn! From your mistakes. :)
plus i’m only fluent in English and Polish so
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:08:24 PM by fija »
is supposed to be fluent: :poland: :uk:
nivel A2 desde hace 3 años: :spain:
actually going smoothly: :japan:
shameful, but bravely trying: :finland:
Это уже русский, или ещё польский? :russia:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
"Only" fluent in English and Polish - fluency in a second language is always a treasure.  I always thought of Polish as your bog-standard Slavic, but looking at the character set in your snippet is a bit of an eye-opener for me (please excuse my ignorance).  I have no idea how my one and only phrase of Polish - djen dobri - would actually be written.  Maybe I'll use the 'hej hej' instead!  ^-^